Copyright (c) 2014 by A Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
A -- Blogmeister

Abhi's Blog

2010-2011

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by A

teacher: Derek Milloy

Title: D.A.R.E. Reports (03/01/11)
Description: After participating in the D.A.R.E. program with Constable Foggetti, you all wrote a D.A.R.E. report about your learning, and you wrote a pledge that you made at our D.A.R.E. graduation ceremony.

Please put a copy of your report on your blog. Your report was to have three paragraphs:
1) introduction
2) details about what you learned, why it is important and how it impacted you
3) summary, what will you do now?

The past 9 week’s cst.Foggtti.She was teaching us about Drug Abuse Resistance Education . Today we gradation in out class my friend and I made a card. Today was a big day for my class! In the being two of my class mates read there D.A.R.E report. After that my class mate read there pledge. My pledge went like this I pledge cst. Foggtti my parents my teacher Mr.Milloy and Mrs. Brown and my self to not go near drugs or achol in my life. Thank you for reading this. Bye for now.

Article posted December 15, 2010 at 04:09 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 37

My D.A.R.E Report

D.A.R.E. Drug Abuse Resistence Education. For these past 9 weeks Constable Foggetti has come to division 3. She taught us about healthy choices, advertising, friendship, peer pressure and how to stay in charge.

I think the most important lesson of all was, peer pressure. The object was to know how to understand what your friends are saying to you, and know how to handle it. 'Cause somtimes, peers can get on the wrong path. Other than peer pressure, peers can pressure you in other ways, to get you in trouble. To get away from these pressures, we learned how to stay in charge. First, we had to know the diffrent type of pressures:

Indirect/Tempting - Saying if they don't do it now they'll still do it, but later. They might not do this because they know it is wrong, but want to get you to do it anyways.

Bullying - They try to threaten you, that the'll beat you up or make you a fool in front of the whole school.

Teasing - They call you a chicken or to boys that they're girly, if they don't drink or smoke. Some kids don't like being called a chicken or girly, and want to prove that they'er brave.

Positive - When you are about to do something bad or might, a friend educates you, and stops you.

Friendly - Peers use a nice way to talk to you. Like to call you over, and be friends with them, and have a drink.

By only 4 of these ways peers can get you in trouble. These peers are not friends but enimies. A real friend stops you from going onm the wrong path and helps you.

Another very important lesson was advertising. In advertisments, they show happinies, fun, and a care free life. Is this all true? No, drugs kill you , lead you into permanet coma, it kills your brain cells, and it stops you from having fun. Advertisers want people to think that death from drugs is not true, because they want to make money. Over 45,000 people die just because of some greedy buisness men.

Healthy Choices. Officer Foggetti taught us all the facts about drugs. The most important facts are: Tobbacco contains over 200 known poisons in it. In marijuana there are over 400 poisons, and marijuana contains more tar than tobbacco. Also, alchohal can damage every single organ of your body.

I think the people that do use drugs, know that drugs are not good for you, but are already too addicted. Some don't even have the right information about drugs. I think people that do use drugs are really dumb, because who would want to spend the rest of their life sitting in a wheel chair and able to do nothing, or not even exsist.

I have learned all about tobbacco, alchohal, marijuana, peer pressure, friendship, and advertisments. I think the information I have is powerfull enough that I can stop others and myself to the use of drugs.

Today I commit to Constable Foggetti, To my family, and myself that I will never go near a drug, let alone touching it.

Article posted March 8, 2011 at 01:10 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 34

Did you know tabacco has OVER 200 known poisons. Yes it's true, and cigars have nicotine, which makes it harder to quit. About 14% of 8 graders smoke.

Drugs can cause bad behaviors, bad habits, and may cause you to lose friends. If you know someone who is stuck on druges, then talk to an adult and ask for help.

If people ask you to take drugs, DON'T. If your frends try to hook you on drugs, their not really friends. If that's the caias then Find new friends AND MAKE GOOD DISISHONS.

Article posted December 18, 2010 at 07:59 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 36

Hi my name is Gurleen. The last 9 weeks my class has been participating in a program called D.A.R.E. which stands for Drug Abuse Resistance education. I think D.A.R.E. is great for grade 5/6 students because it’s good to be aware of drugs at a early age. You want to know why well because maybe when you get older you’ll think it’s cool and actually take them.

In D.A.R.E we learned facts such as marijuana can be very addicting, smoking can harm babies, alcohol can cause coma and/or death. Other than drugs we learned about all sorts of pressures, how to make healthy choices, advertisement, and inhalants. In our lesson on pressures we learned about positive pressure, indirect pressure ,direct pressure and all sorts of other pressures. I think that you should always just stay away from people who pressure you to do something you really don’t want to do. When we were learning about making healthy choices we learned about the decision making model the D- define A- assess R- respond E-evaluate. We would get a situation and we would have to use the D.A.R.E. decision making model to make a good decision. In our lesson on advertisement we learned about what businesses would show just to make money such as people having so much fun but once you start taking drugs you may get addicted and then you may just not be able to stop.So don’t listen to advertisements they’ll show you fun but it’s not going to be fun. Last but not least we learned about inhalants we learned that inhalants is bad for your body.

So now I hope the people who took this program aware everyone about drugs and how drugs can take your life away. Now I know what drugs can do to you and they suck your life outof your body. I pledge to CST. Foggetti, my family, Mr. Milloy, and myself that I will never go near drugs or even take them and I will make good decisions even if it threatens my friendship with somebody.

Hi, I’m Abhi, and I will tell you what our class has been learning for the past 9 weeks, D.A.R.E. D.A.R.E. stands for (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) D.A.R.E decision making model, D. define the problem, A. asses, R. respond, E. evaluate.

Then we moved on to drugs, in that section we learned many facts about tobacco, Marijuana, and alcohol. Some tobacco facts are: It causes lung cancer, strokes, and can hurt babies. Cigarettes contain nicotine which is very addictive. After that we learned about a drug called marijuana. Marijuana can cause short-term memory loss, loss of ability to concentrate, and slows down your flexes. We moved to alcohol, after that, which was our longest subject. We learned how many eighth graders smoke or drink, the guesses people in our class had where very high, we probably think that because we are exposed to all of the smoking and drinking; you’ll be surprised that only 20% of eighth graders in North America smoke or drink. So when somebody offers you a cigarette or a drink and says if you take it you’re one of us and you fit in, remember you’ll fit in more if you don’t because 80% of eight graders don’t smoke. Alcohol can lead to: Yellow teeth, bad breath, poor judgement, and bad school performance. We also learned about peer pressure and personnel pressure, pressure that you put on yourself.

During the learning process we had, I felt that I was learning the most important facts yet. That period helped me figure out how to say no to a friend when they propose any type of drug. Const. Foggetti taught us how to stay in charge when saying no. These past 9 weeks have been some of the most educational weeks of my life. For that I sincerely thank const. Foggetti, Mr. Milloy, the R.C.M.P. and my fellow classmates because without this program, many kids would be naive enough to try drugs which will be eventually fatal in 1 way or the other.

My D.A.R.E pledge: I pledge to Const. Foggetti, my family present and future, Mr.Milloy, and myself that I won’t go near drugs let alone smoke or drink. Thank you for listening to my report on D.A.R.E.

Article posted December 17, 2010 at 04:08 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 40

Hi, my name is Serena and I am going to talk to you about a program called D.A.R.E. Dare stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education. Constable Foggetti was our police officer.

Over the last 9 weeks I have learned a lot of stuff I need to know about different kinds of drugs. This program helped me learn to make healthy choices in life by me learning the affects and poisons.

Over the last 9 weeks I have been learning health and different kinds of facts about drugs. I learned about the decision making model. I would use the model to help me get out of risky situations. The decision making model is Define Assess Respond and Evaluate. In our D.A.R.E. planners we have situations written down and we decide what to write in the Define Assess Respond and Evaluate sections. We also learned about advertising. Some advertisements are about cigarettes or drugs but, it does not look like it. We learned about percentages of how many kids smoke and don't smoke. We also learned about friendship foundations I learned that being a good

friend you need to have different qualities. I also learned that sometimes friendships get affected if one of them does drugs or smokes. I also learned what parts of the body the drugs affect. Like, tobacco, alcohol, and inhalants, affect your brain. Tobacco, marijuana, alcohol, and inhalants affect your mouth and your throat.

Tobacco, alcohol, and inhalants affect your lungs, your heart, and your liver. Some of the poisons I learned about were poisons like tar and nicotine. Nicotine is a very addictive substance that is in cigarettes. Tar is a powerful substance also. There is more tar in marijuana smoke then tobacco smoke. My favorite part of what we learned about was pressure. We learned peer pressure, pure pressure, personal pressure, and positive pressure. To me, peer pressure can be positive and negative. If it’s positive then it makes me feel happy and excited. But if it’s negative for example if they ask you to smoke then it makes me feel uncomfortable even if it’s not me the one getting pressured.

Then there is pure pressure. Pure pressure is always negative that makes me not only uncomfortable but really angry because it is always negative. The final pressure we learned is positive pressure. What I like about this kind of pressure is if you are wondering if you can do something your peers are encouraging you and cheering you on. I have experienced positive pressure personally really enjoyed it a lot. All of these things are very important to me because they will help me in life not to smoke or do drugs or drink and the situations that we practiced and the health facts really showed me why cigarettes and drugs and other things are very very unhealthy. The impact it had on me was it changed the way I am going to live my life when I am older and it made me think about all the people who got sick from these drugs.

Some of the skills I have learned are how to say no to people who offer me things that are very unhealthy for me and can poison me. I have also learned how to walk away from risky situations and how to get out of risky situations.

I pledge to Officer Foggetti, my family, Mr.Milloy and myself that I will never go near drugs or cigarettes and I will never do drugs or smoke anything in my entire life.       

In the past nine weeks Cst. Foggeti has been comming to our class and talking to us about good and bad choices about drugs and alcohol, and the affects that it can do to our body.

I've learend that marijuana has more than four hundred cchemechals and more than two hundered poisons in the cigarette and its smoke.

Alcohol is preferd as a depressant drug.

The D.A.R.E. program had a very hard impact on me because the alcohol,cigarette smoke,and drugs are so dangerous if you inhale the smell. The skills I have learend are dont give peer pressure SAY NO TO DRUGS if people are doing drugs try and tell a fact about it and try to make them stop. I PLEDGE TO CST. FOGGETTI I WILL NOT TOUCH ANY DRUGS OR ALCOHOL because I know what it can do to me and my body.

Article posted March 10, 2011 at 01:17 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

The D.A.R.E program was really fun we got to play lots of games and learned a lot of stuff with Constable Foggetti. We learned about drugs and how to say no and walk away. At the end we got to have a graduation ceremony at the end of the year it was fun we all got to say a pledge. I hope more kids can participate in the D.A.R.E program.

Hey Im Luisa!

Iam here today totalk about what i learned in the past 9 weeks about D.A.R.E.D stands for Drugs

A stands for Abuse.R stands for Resistance E stands for Education thats what D.A.R.E stands for.Now I would like to talk to you all about what i learned in this group D.A.R.E that alcohol slows down your brain and body,and we learned that more than 45,000 people die in Canada due to smoking.And we learned marijuana users have an increased risk of cancer.My favourie part was when we learned about 45,000 people die,marijuana,smoking and more.

Pledge

I Pledge to Cst.Foggetti,My family,friends andmyself that i willnotgonear drugs or anything that will hurt me and i willmake good decissions.

Thank You!!! Bye For Now

Article posted January 25, 2011 at 01:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

Hi , I'm Fabbiha,

Over the past few weeks, I have learned a lot about Smoking, Drinking, making decisions and lots more, and all that credit goes to our D.A.R.E officer CST. Foggetti.

So, lets begin with smoking, I'm pretty sure you all know that smoking is horrible, but did you know that over 45,000 people in Canada die because of smoking? Not a number to laugh at, is it. But you're probably thinking "Why should I care? It's not like I'll die", Well, maybe you're right, but that doesn't mean you should smoke.

1 cigarette contains more than 599 ingredients, the most harmful ones are: nicotine, carbon dioxide, and tar.All of them are equally harmful.

I have learned lots of other things from CST.Foggetti. These were just a FEW facts I have learnt, of course, there's MORE. I can name them, but, I think you've read enough!

If you are over 18, and you smoke or drink, you might want to change your mind, it does NOT make you look cooler. If your friends tell you it is cool to smoke, then, lets just say they're not the greatest friends you have, you can make nicer ones.

Does my article help you understand a little bit more about smoking? If yes, then great! And if no, then ask me questions on my comment box, maybe I can answer them, So,Bye for today! Stay tuned for my next article! 

Article posted January 24, 2011 at 12:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 39

Hey, I’m Sophie!

In the last 9 weeks I was learning about the D.A.R.E. program. In this program I learned about drugs, peer and personal pressure, how to make wise decisions, be confident and ways to be in charge.

I also learned important facts about different kinds of drugs as marijuana, tobacco, alcohol and inhalants. For example: did you know that more than 45,000 people in Canada die because smoking?   And that 341 ml of beer, 142 ml of wine, and 43 ml of liquor all contain the same amount of alcohol? There are many more fact, and all of them are proving that marijuana, tobacco, alcohol, and inhalants are bad for you.

I also want to thank cst. Foggeti for teaching us all of that, and I pledge to her, my family, and myself, that I won't use drugs. 

Article posted December 17, 2010 at 12:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 34

Hi my name is Caleb Zehr and in my 9 weeks with constable Foggetti I have appreciated what D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Restriction Education) has taught me. I have learned about: Marijuana, tobacco, and alcohol. I have also learned about different pressures.                                                                                                                                                                             If anybody tells you drugs will make you cool, or feel good THEY DO NOT!!! Drugs are horrible. Like smoking, would you like tobacco, nicotine (a very addictive drug that will make you want more) tar, and over 200 poisons in your body ‘cause I sure don’t? And guess what, weed has all the stuff, plus more. Personally I like it more up here than six feet under. And why drink alcohol, do you want cancer, I don’t?  DO NOT DO DRUGS=http:// I am happy that I got the opportunity to take part in D.A.R.E. I now know what drugs do, and how to make healthy choices using the D.A.R.E. decision making model (Define, Asses, Respond, and Evaluate).                                                                                                                                         In D.A.R.E. I have learned how to say NO, and just walk away, and that’s how I’m personally going to handle it if somebody wants me to drink, or smoke, or just something I really don’t want to do. And I promise constable Foggetti, my family, Mr. Milloy, Ms. Brown, and myself that I will not expose myself to these terrible things called drugs                                                                                                                                                                                    SAY NO TO DRUGS                                thank you                                                                                                                

check ouy this link for more drug facts        darebc.com/node/43

I like hockey, basketball, and soccer