Copyright (c) 2014 by Jody Ferguson Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jody Ferguson -- Blogmeister

RETSD Adult Education Program-

English Language Arts

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by Jody Ferguson

ELA Manitoba Curriculum Documents
Human Rights Watch
Canadian Letters and Images Project
The Virtual Museum of Canada
The Canadian Encyclopedia
Oprah.com - Text info about Night and Elie Wiesel
The Book Thief - author info., discussion questions, etc.
Henry Rollins Official Site - Check out everything this guy does!
The Weakerthans Homepage
Internet Research Skills Wiki - Developed by Christine Robinson
'Net Know-How - A great site for info on how to be a wise and responsible internet user!
Owl at Purdue MLA 2009 Writing Guide
Watch Free Documentary Films Online
Freedom Riders Documentary - info and clips
Daily Grammar
Englishgrammar.org
Grammar Tips
10 Tips for Effective Editing
Commonly Confused Words
Notes on The Book Thief (from author Markus Zusak
How Will We Love? Documentary (Grade 11)
Ted Talks - Stefana Broadbent: How the Internet enables intimacy (Grade 11)
The Truth According to Wikipedia Documentary (Grade 12)
Freerice.com
No Logo: Brands, Globalization and Resistance Documentary
Naomi Klein on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos (No Logo: Ten Years Later)
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 1
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 2
The Grammar Gang - yes, an interesting blog about grammar!
Owl at Purdue Writing Guide
Grade 12 - Analysis text example
Crowdsourcing the News - Paul Lewis (Ted.com) - Grade 11 Media Study
OWL at Purdue - Evaluating Sources
Sample Essay #1 - MLA Style
Sample Essay #2 - MLA Style
Manitobia - Manitoban History
Ted.com
Macleans Magazine
Intro to Pathos video - Using Emotion as a Tool in your Speaking and Writing
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting - The Basics (YouTube)
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting: List of Works Cited (YouTube)
In-text Citations, MLA Style (YouTube)
Paleface - Burn and Rob (Grade 12 - Censorship Jigsaw Groups)
Sept. 11th Pager Data
Flocabulary - 5 Things (Elements of a Short Story)
Rosa Parks Biography (English Upgrading)
Gr. 12 Analysis Sample (Video- Nystrom Hits Letang)

Article posted June 12, 2012 at 01:38 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 84

Essay planning is one of the most important things when writing an essay. Making a planning sheet with all you paragraphs can help you stay on track and figure out which order they should go in for your final copy. I had 7 paragraphs for my essay. I wrote them all out and moved them around until they flowed nicely together. I would say without a plan when writing an essay it is not going to turn out as good as if you were to use a planning sheet or graphic organizer.

Article posted June 12, 2012 at 05:45 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 40

I like doing essays. It can be pretty hard putting all the ideas together, but you can have so much information and learn from it. My most favorite part of doing an essay, is the research part. You can find all the information and read about the specific topic. Also what I like is that you can express your point of view. The main challange that I have writing an essay, is to be able to write and put all the information together to make sence. The introduction of an essay and the conclusion is the easiest. This is when you get to introduce what your essay is going to be about and the conclusion, I like to write my point of view.

Article posted June 19, 2012 at 08:24 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

I feel effective planning is the start to a good essay. a essay should be well planned and very precise. if your ideas are scattered and unorgainzed your essay will reflect it. It is important to find your purpose and idea the context and really lay out a foundation to your essay. Orgainzing your ideas before hand also helps in the flow of your essay and makes it easier to really lay out a cleanly written essay as opposed to putting your ideas down in a rough draft and trying to orgazine it later.   i really used the orgaziner alot this year. it helped me effecitly plan my paragraphs and write a piece that flowed extremely cleanly. it helped me lay out a puropose and strive to achieve that purpose that i had written down.

Article posted June 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 43

Effective planning is extremely important in writing a good essay, thinking of an idea that is not only interesting to you but also how you can make it interesting for others.You need to take down the information that your essay depends on.Your essay can get really boring and full of nonsence if you put to much useless information in it. The Idea i thought of was currency, how did currency come about? From a simple idea it turned into a complicated but interesting history lesson. I learned alot more than i thought i would from researching my topic.I couldnt think of a good topic so i decided to do something that is involved with our everyday life which is very superficial but a necessity.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 09:37 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 36

In my essay writing process I like to be able to print up information and read through it and highlight any pertinent information I feel might help my writing portion. I don't really like having to come up with my own topic I have an easier time writing when I am given a topic to write about. I seem to have such a hard time knowing where to start when I have to come up

with that topic as well. I like to jot down thoughts on a separate paper and add notes stating where in the essay it belongs. Some say that you should come up with your Introduction and Conclusion before your body but I have a hard time doing that for my essays. my biggest challenge is not rambling on about a bunch of nothing.

Article posted May 16, 2012 at 07:13 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 36

The approach I took to try to figure out what I was going to do my essay on was first of course to think of something I am interesting in. Does this subject have a fair amount to write about? I also had to contemplate if it was a topic I want to talk about in front of the class? Can I make it interesting to people that may not have any interest in my topic at all? I have picked my topic and have done most of the research required. I cannot say I like the writing process much because it is not my favourite thing to do. Although I really have enjoyed doing the research and reading about my subject. The real challenge seems to be me actually starting to write, I blame it on the weather!

Article posted June 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 37

Effective planning is important when writing an essay because it lets you filter and create how you will be structuring your essay. An essay with structure will be faster and easier to write. We should be spending a decent amount of time on essay planning before just diving in. Brainstorming idea’s you’d like to write about and jotting down the key points in point form is a great way to begin the essay as each stage afterwards is important. Work out a logical order for the points you want to present starting with the middle of the essay then gradually working towards the conclusion and the introduction. A key point for when you are finished writing your essay is to revise and edit. I found essay planning to be a very useful and helpful technique and it made for a better essay on my part.

Article posted June 9, 2012 at 06:10 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 40

Planing an essay is important because it helps you to better understand the message you are trying to get across. It is also good to have a rough coppy so that you can fix up any mistackes that you have. Using the planning sheet helps you figuer out the steps of your essay. Figuering out the steps befor hand will help you put it together prperly.If you plan the steps befor you put it together than you won't have to right it all over if get it wrong. So I think that's why it is good to plan the essay befor wrighting it.

Article posted May 16, 2012 at 07:25 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 35

I find important planning to essay writing is important because you need to know what your gonna do. You need to go through your essay step by step in order to have a nicely organized essay. When I write essays I will start making the body paragraphs first to see where my intro and conclusion are going to stand. Most of the time i will have to reright my body about 3 times before i start making the intro.i also find it important to never say "my essay is about" at anytime in your essay. Be prepared, plan.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 06:41 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 34

Why effective planning is important for essay writing. I think it makes it easier to do the essay if you have a plan on how you are going to do it. It also will help you to learn how to write essays better. And by planning it out you can get more information that can help you when you’re writing your essay. I personally thought why plan it out but really if you don’t have a plan you aren’t going to get very far.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 06:48 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 41

I believe that planning is very crutial in essay writing. Writing variables can do a great job in helping form your topic and essay. Its good to start your essay with some sort of outline or plan, so then you know where to go with it as opposed to being stuck with writers block half way through your peice.

Article posted May 30, 2012 at 02:04 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 40

Why is effective planning important to essay writing? For me it is necessary simply for the positive outcome it has on your work. It helps you organize your ideas and make sense of all your gathered information. Helps you decide what’s relevant and what is not. It can help you edit and revise if it is not turning out the way you wanted. Without planning your essay, you end up rambling out info. that most probably won’t make any sense to those you are targeting as an audience.

Article posted June 10, 2012 at 04:53 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 34

Most times in an essay I have to watch that I don’t ramble on with a topic and that I don’t just leave a topic without fully explaining it. I find gathering the information to be the easy part of an essay, when I have to put it all together is where I lose myself and I have to keep back tracking to make sure I was wording the sentences right. I like to gather the information and figure out where it belongs in the essay, if it belongs in the intro one of the 3 bodies or in the closing paragraph. Once I have figured that out I would work on the wording them and creating the paragraph.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 06:36 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 37

Effective planning while writing an essay can save people a lot of time, headaches, and frustration – especially when writing about a topic with vast amounts of information available. For myself, I sometimes find it difficult to follow my writing plans. Once I start writing I can sometimes lose track of my plan and start ranting about information in the order that it’s coming out in my brain, but the plan I have made definitely helps me to get started on the writing process, which for me is the hardest part of any writing assignment. Once I have finished writing I can simply compare my plan to my finished piece, making sure I have included everything. Planning out your writing can also help to make sure you include all of the information that you wanted to. Simply jotting down all the information you could find, and starting your essay before planning it out can lead to a disorganized piece, lacking information and explanations.

Article posted June 13, 2012 at 04:01 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 35

Choose ONE of the following options to respond to in at least one full paragraph: 

a) Why is effective planning important to essay writing?

It is very important to effectively plan before starting to write an essay. This is because without a structured plan for an essay it is easy to allow your mind to wander and along with that your ideas will wander. In order for an essay to be effectively structured, based on your topic you should write your thesis followed by your three main ideas for the body of your essay. It is also a good idea to not start by writing your introduction. it is a better idea to start with the conclusion of your essay and then finish with the introduction. this is because if you start with your introduction with a certain idea in mind, you may change that idea before the essay is finished and then you will need to rewrite your entire introduction. if you begin with the conclusion your intro will write itself based on the contents of the body and conclusion. This order may not make sense to everyone, but it allows for effective essay writing without spending extra time writing or rewriting any of it.

b) Discuss your own ideas about essay writing and your essay writing process (i.e. likes, dislikes, strategies, challenges, your approach, etc.)

Article posted May 23, 2012 at 06:43 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 34

why is effective planning important to essay writing?

I personally didn't think that planning was that important to an essay until i did this recent major assignment. the planning with the questions helped me through all my researching and gave me a better idea on topics to talk about in my essay. It gives you an idea on what your looking for specifically rather than searching for something that you are unsure about. It also helps you keep things clear and organized for when you complete your essay and look over everything.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 07:00 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 36

Effective planning is important for essay writing to me because it helps me stay more organized. I will tend to go off in various directions and ramble on without it. I do get easily swayed by reading the research also. It changes what I want to write about most of the time and I feel like starting over again.

Article posted June 17, 2012 at 08:35 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 34

I have never liked doing an essay. It seems no matter what approach I seem to take, Its the opposite of what the teacher is looking for. I find that even when I do effective planning the end result is never what their looking for. The only thing I really like about an essay is when I get to pick my own topic.

`**~-> (I Just Don't Like Essays) <-~**`

Article posted May 16, 2012 at 07:29 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 39

preparing for an essay is the most important thing to do.  without preperation it would be just one long writing of unorganized information.  Viewing the sites and checking their sources will give you a better chance of having the right information as well.  the research and rough draft are a big deal because you use it as the outline for the essay, which givees you what you need to finish your essay.  reading aloud and reading over your work is also good preperation for it leavese less chances for mistakes.

Article posted June 18, 2012 at 02:02 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 36

Effective planning for an essay is very important, it helps you figure out how to set up your essay and how to make it flow because whichever way you plan out your essay you have sections of what goes first, second, third etc. It also helps you get all your ideas in order and see which one is the most important for the essay and what will really make that essay a good piece of writing. I think it also helps you not ramble on too much and keeps you on course and focused.

When I write an essay I try to get the body paragraphs done first, and think about the gist of those paragraphs so that I know what I will be writing about, once I am done all the body paragraphs I like to do the conclusion, because I feel it is easier to conclude once I've finished the body and then I do the intro because I know what the essay is about now that I have finished the rest of it.

English 40S McLeod
English 40S Transcona (condensed Nov. - Jan.)
English Upgrading

My name is Jody Ferguson. I am 32 years old. I am married and have two children - Alexis (13) and Aiden (7). I am a very busy hockey/drama/Girl Guides/roller derby mom who also loves good music, tattoos and Coca-Cola. I teach English Language Arts at both the Mcleod Adult Learning Centre and the Transcona Adult Learning Centre. I love my job! jferguson@retsd.mb.ca