Copyright (c) 2014 by Jody Ferguson Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jody Ferguson -- Blogmeister

RETSD Adult Education Program-

English Language Arts

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by Jody Ferguson

ELA Manitoba Curriculum Documents
Human Rights Watch
Canadian Letters and Images Project
The Virtual Museum of Canada
The Canadian Encyclopedia
Oprah.com - Text info about Night and Elie Wiesel
The Book Thief - author info., discussion questions, etc.
Henry Rollins Official Site - Check out everything this guy does!
The Weakerthans Homepage
Internet Research Skills Wiki - Developed by Christine Robinson
'Net Know-How - A great site for info on how to be a wise and responsible internet user!
Owl at Purdue MLA 2009 Writing Guide
Watch Free Documentary Films Online
Freedom Riders Documentary - info and clips
Daily Grammar
Englishgrammar.org
Grammar Tips
10 Tips for Effective Editing
Commonly Confused Words
Notes on The Book Thief (from author Markus Zusak
How Will We Love? Documentary (Grade 11)
Ted Talks - Stefana Broadbent: How the Internet enables intimacy (Grade 11)
The Truth According to Wikipedia Documentary (Grade 12)
Freerice.com
No Logo: Brands, Globalization and Resistance Documentary
Naomi Klein on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos (No Logo: Ten Years Later)
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 1
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 2
The Grammar Gang - yes, an interesting blog about grammar!
Owl at Purdue Writing Guide
Grade 12 - Analysis text example
Crowdsourcing the News - Paul Lewis (Ted.com) - Grade 11 Media Study
OWL at Purdue - Evaluating Sources
Sample Essay #1 - MLA Style
Sample Essay #2 - MLA Style
Manitobia - Manitoban History
Ted.com
Macleans Magazine
Intro to Pathos video - Using Emotion as a Tool in your Speaking and Writing
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting - The Basics (YouTube)
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting: List of Works Cited (YouTube)
In-text Citations, MLA Style (YouTube)
Paleface - Burn and Rob (Grade 12 - Censorship Jigsaw Groups)
Sept. 11th Pager Data
Flocabulary - 5 Things (Elements of a Short Story)
Rosa Parks Biography (English Upgrading)
Gr. 12 Analysis Sample (Video- Nystrom Hits Letang)

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 200

The ambush by Tim ’Brien

The after effect of war, how the young man felt after he blown up a young man, out on the trail.  In the nights the solder can see himself in the fog, out on trial the young man coming down the trail in the fog.  The penalty of war is after the war is over you have to deal with your memories and that’s the hardest part of war. The reality is that people do die in war. In the story Kiowa troy telling him that young man would of die anyway.  

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 39

The story I chose for this blog assignment is the ninny. In the short story the ninny the governess (Yulia Vasilyevna) is called into the study of her employer (a nameless character) while in the study her employer continuously docks pay off her pay check. Yulia becomes increasingly upset though says nothing to defend these false allegations. At the end of the story Yulias employer gets upset with her for not standing up for herself calling her “spineless and a ninny”. He ends up paying her in full thinking to himself how easy it is in this world to be strong as she left the study. in this story there are two different themes depending on how you look at the end of the story. The first way of looking at it is that the theme is you should always stand up for yourself a positive theme if you will. The other way of looking at it is the theme of the story is how easy it is to manipulate another person more of a negative theme though both are correct.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 40

Choose ONE story we’ve read so far and write one paragraph discussing the THEME of the story. Explain how you know that is the theme   THE  PLOT FOR THIS STORY THE NINNY.A CHAIMBERMAID HIRED TO LOOK AFTER  ONE CHILD AND HOW SHE IS TREATED BY HER EMPLOYER. HE IS ACTUALY TRYING TOO GET THE CHAIMBERMAID IN THIS STORY TOSTAND UP FOR HERSELF AND NOT BE SO TIMID ABOUT ASKING FOR HER PAY. THE THEME OF THE STORY IS THE AUTHER IS TELLING THE PERSON READING THE STORY NOT TO BE SO SHY OR TIMID WHEN IT COMES TO ASKING FOR WHAT IS RIGHTLY YOURS

HE IS ACTUALY TELLING THIS PERSON TO STAND UP FOR HER SELF WHEN COMES TO MATTERS OF FINANCAL OR DISAGREEMANT WITH ANOTHER PERSON

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 46

In the story " The man who had no eyes", the blind peddler doesn't know that the person he stops on the street to beg from is blind also.The blind peddler has no idea that the man he is asking money from is the very same man he was with when he lost his sight. Because of this, he tells the story of how he lost his sight, changing it around to fit his current agenda. He doesn't realize the whole time he is going on about how he lost his sight, that the man who stands before him knows the truth.The Theme of this story is " Things are not always as they appear."

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 35

When I read the story, any story, I always try to picture in my head all about plot, characters, setting, point of view, conflict and theme. That way it’s earthier for me to understand and to feel from inside together with the author why rote that story. My favourite one, from all the stories we head it’s: “Bald is Beautiful”. In that story the sister bald her head to help another sister not to feel lonely, miserable and freak.” To bald girls could start a new fashion”.  The main idea, the theme, the lesson here; that the life it’s way more important than anything else in the world. So live every day as you last one, love your life and care about somebody else life to.  We can have and buy what we want but not the life, it’s gave us just ones.  

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

The storey about the young bald girl that had to go for CT scan . The Dr told her that she had to go for surgery to get her brain tumour out. After she had the surgery she had to stay out of school when she had to go back she was scared to go back.  When the sister is waiting at how the sister that’s down town she gets her head shaved. The sister that stayed at home when the other sister that got her head shaved to show the sister that there is nothing wrong being bald and there is nothing wrong showing her appearance at any time and it made her see that there is more important things than hair.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 114

The theme to The Ninny, if you do not stand up for yourself, you will be taken for advantage. The governess was called in to talk about settling her pay. Then she found out that her boss had many deductions to take from her pay. As the boss explained the deductions Yulia Vasilyevna, became vary timid and she muttered her response once or twice but she never really defended herself. She never asked to see the bosses’ notes and took it as it was. Near the end of the story is where the moral of the story is explained. The boss acknowledged to her that he was playing a dirty trick on her and he would give all her pay to her. He tried to teach her a lesson by doing a dirty trick on her.

English 40S McLeod
English 40S Transcona (condensed Nov. - Jan.)
English Upgrading

My name is Jody Ferguson. I am 32 years old. I am married and have two children - Alexis (13) and Aiden (7). I am a very busy hockey/drama/Girl Guides/roller derby mom who also loves good music, tattoos and Coca-Cola. I teach English Language Arts at both the Mcleod Adult Learning Centre and the Transcona Adult Learning Centre. I love my job! jferguson@retsd.mb.ca