Copyright (c) 2014 by Jody Ferguson Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jody Ferguson -- Blogmeister

RETSD Adult Education Program-

English Language Arts

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by Jody Ferguson

ELA Manitoba Curriculum Documents
Human Rights Watch
Canadian Letters and Images Project
The Virtual Museum of Canada
The Canadian Encyclopedia
Oprah.com - Text info about Night and Elie Wiesel
The Book Thief - author info., discussion questions, etc.
Henry Rollins Official Site - Check out everything this guy does!
The Weakerthans Homepage
Internet Research Skills Wiki - Developed by Christine Robinson
'Net Know-How - A great site for info on how to be a wise and responsible internet user!
Owl at Purdue MLA 2009 Writing Guide
Watch Free Documentary Films Online
Freedom Riders Documentary - info and clips
Daily Grammar
Englishgrammar.org
Grammar Tips
10 Tips for Effective Editing
Commonly Confused Words
Notes on The Book Thief (from author Markus Zusak
How Will We Love? Documentary (Grade 11)
Ted Talks - Stefana Broadbent: How the Internet enables intimacy (Grade 11)
The Truth According to Wikipedia Documentary (Grade 12)
Freerice.com
No Logo: Brands, Globalization and Resistance Documentary
Naomi Klein on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos (No Logo: Ten Years Later)
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 1
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 2
The Grammar Gang - yes, an interesting blog about grammar!
Owl at Purdue Writing Guide
Grade 12 - Analysis text example
Crowdsourcing the News - Paul Lewis (Ted.com) - Grade 11 Media Study
OWL at Purdue - Evaluating Sources
Sample Essay #1 - MLA Style
Sample Essay #2 - MLA Style
Manitobia - Manitoban History
Ted.com
Macleans Magazine
Intro to Pathos video - Using Emotion as a Tool in your Speaking and Writing
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting - The Basics (YouTube)
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting: List of Works Cited (YouTube)
In-text Citations, MLA Style (YouTube)
Paleface - Burn and Rob (Grade 12 - Censorship Jigsaw Groups)
Sept. 11th Pager Data
Flocabulary - 5 Things (Elements of a Short Story)
Rosa Parks Biography (English Upgrading)
Gr. 12 Analysis Sample (Video- Nystrom Hits Letang)

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM GMT-6 • comment (4) • Reads 91

It would become really hard to be without internet, we are so used to having internet and communicating with people that way. Though i'm sure people could adjust. I have had some periods without internet in my life. It does take a couple of days to get through it, but after that you really don't think about it. And when you do have the chance to use the interenet again i find it takes some time to get back into it. And i believe we are to dependent on the internet for our information and social interactivity. It is taking us away from communicating with the people around us. I think we are also more dependent on the internet to talk about things then to talk about them in person. We should have an even balance in internet social commication and in person communication.

Article posted March 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 53

Personally if the internet disappeared tomorrow I would get over it. The main reasons I use the internet are mostly just to stay in contact with friends, and acquaintances. I’m not the kind of guy who revolves the Internet I would rather be doing something out side with my kids or hanging out with friends. I believe that too many people are hooked or addicted to the Internet, especially the games that the Internet provides. I understand that the Internet can be a very useful tool for research and things of that nature, but I also know there are other means of finding stuff out. Call me old school but as I said in the beginning I would get over it.

Article posted March 18, 2012 at 01:05 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 43

I grew up without the internet. The telephone, TV and paper were all the information we needed. I guess we would adapt, like we always do. It's almost like the internet is more of a luxury than a necessity at times. I think it's here to stay and we can't deny the futre, but ideally I would be fine without it.

I think all this extra information is a good thing. People makes choices on how and why they use the internet, so it depends on the person and situation. In my life, I have no issues with it and don't feel dependent on it at all. I even sometimes feel I don't use it enough.

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 08:50 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 51

If the internet disappeared tomorrow I would be able to live without it, I think having the internet is useful but causes so many extra problems. Nobody will just call you first, usually they will either message you on a social networking site and if you don’t answer right away than they will call you. I think people got way too dependent of the internet; nobody goes out and meets anyone now days they will just look on the internet. I think it was one of the worst things that were invented, even though I use it daily that’s my opinion.

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 45

If the internet were to dissapear tommorrow i do not know what i would do, so much of my time is used on the internet . I use the internet for everything and most of all to keep in touch with all or my friends . Yes i am very dependent on the internet i think. its the first thing i do when i get up when im bored and when im about to go to sleep it has become a big part in my life. The internet has a big effect on the world today. Everyone that i no uses it and it al;ways on it . Texting is the next big thing . The internet has become so big i rememeber when i was younger the internet was a alright thing but now people that ar 8 years old and older no how to use it back then i barley knew what texting was. The world has chqanged so much its crazy !

Article posted March 14, 2012 at 01:07 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 44

What would you do if the internet disappeared tomorrow? Are we becoming too dependent on the internet for our information and social interactivity?

If the internet disappered tomorrow,it will be difficult for us because we communication with people by writing E-mail. People which doesn't know the words in English, they could search in dictionary.I always use internet for watching show, reading, facebook and doing my homework.I can't do nothing without internet because I love reading stories on the internet sites and watch movies too.Yes,we are becoming too dependent on the internet for our information and socity interactivity beacuse we always use internet by finding the of the word that we don't know. Internet always helps us to find what we are search for? Hundred percentage people uses internet. My opion is that the internet should not disappered because everbody needs to go to internet. We can communicte our family by sending e-mail and go to facebook.

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 42

I honestly don’t know what I would do. I use the internet for literally everything. It makes it easier being able to access the internet being able to get it all on my cell phone. There is my email, internet, social media sites, skype etc. everything I need is literally at my fingertips and easily accessible. I know that if it wasn’t all as easily accessible that I would not use it as much because I am out all day, and busy in the evening so I rarely have time to sit down at an actual computer to go on the internet. I can say that I totally depend on it. I use the internet when I have a question or want to know information on a topic. I check my emails daily, and I am on Facebook a lot throughout the day. I feel shut out when I cannot access my internet, which sounds bad when I actually say it. There are times when I will go onto Facebook and find out things about a close friend or family member from their Facebook page before they even tell me about it in person. I think it is amazing though to connect with family and friends that live far from you. I use skype daily so that my mother who lives in Nunavut can see my children and vice versa. And see how we are all doing even when she is so far away, without that I feel she would miss out on a lot. Also I can’t remember the last time that I picked up an actual newspaper to read the news because I can get it all online on my cell phone. So yes I think we are extremely addicted to the internet.

Article posted April 1, 2012 at 05:22 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 41

If the internet disappeared tomorrow.It wont really matter to me,because I grew up in small village where we did'nt have access to the internet and i can live without the.And now i use the internet to liten music and send emails, chat with people who are very far a way and i also use the internet for research.Now we are too dependent on the internet for information and social interaction. there are alot of people who are addicted to internet they want to have internet every where. Example cellphone, tv,fast food places coffe shop, library.

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 01:51 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 43

If the internet disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t panic like others I know ,guaranteed there’s a lot of things that must be done on the internet these days but it wouldn’t be the end of the world .There are books to gain knowledge instead of the internet like people used to do before computers . Yes we are depending too much on internet for information and social interactivity what happened to books and telephone conversations, these days were using our fingers to talk to people and copy and pasting what we want to know instead of using our mouths and brains to communicate and learn.

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 40

If the internet dissapeared tommorrow I don't know what I would do because pretty much everything I do at home is on the internet, games, reading, and talking to people If the internet dissapeared tommorrow I would probably end up spending my whole day on the couch just watching tv. and I think some people are to dependant on things like facebook some people spend their whole day on facebook but I spend all my time on games like 7 hours.

Article posted March 22, 2012 at 08:41 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 90

If the internet disappeared tomorrow I would probably go a bit insane. I am very dependent on the internet and social networking. I use things like Facebook and twitter everyday as a way to connect with my friend. I think a lot of people like me are far too dependent on the internet as well as all forms of technology. The internet is just very convenient for people’s lives today.

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 09:01 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 39

I think it would be hard with out the internet because its nice to keep in touch with family and friends.Its also good for me becasue its full of information. If i want to know about someone in history, music and to find out how people around the world are doing.The internet its a usefull way to keep up with my work i can send pictures and reporst.

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 35

There are certain things that I believe we the people are too dependent on in regards to the internet such as social networks and entertainment. For example, we shouldn't have to rely on Facebook or E-mail to keep in touch with family and friends. People have become so use to simply logging into a social network to send loved ones letters and pictures that we longer take the time to actually pick up the phone or get together in person. A lot of people spend too much time on the internet playing games and using it as a course of entertainment instead of being active and going outside.

Although the internet is very necessary in other sources of our daily lifes such as google and wikipedia which allow us to do research. The internet is essential to students for their education and even specific people and their careers. Doctors often use the internet and rely on it to keep up to date with medical research which is constantly changing. With this being said if the internet were to dissapear tomorrow I myself along with the majority of our world would be very negatively effected.

Article posted March 10, 2012 at 03:09 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 41

Well, I think the Internet became huge part of our lives, because it made it easier to connect people all over the world. The things I like about today's technology are; we can communicate our loved one who is sitting other part of the world, without causing us much money. If I talk about my own experience about the Internet, it made me and my husband connect easily, and chat for hours. There are plenty messenger.it has become very easy people to make global friendship; internet can also give you opportunity to learn other peoples culture; and the most important thing we get our entertainment, like movies in the Internet as we see Computer is one of the greatest thing that people achieved, however people Became too dependent on the technology, which is not a good thing, I feel like if we lose the Internet today there will be a huge change in our lives. It will be hard to get back on track, after losing this great technology.

Article posted March 22, 2012 at 08:52 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 59

If the internet dissappeared tomorrow it would really suck, but we'd be able to adapt. We depend on the internet for a lot of things now thats its been around for so long. There is a lot of other ways to get the information we need.. newspapers, articles, people around us. But it is so helpful for school purposes, for research and for us at home. If we had no internet we would find ways to get our information and we would eventually adapt do our other sources of communication!

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 09:04 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 42

If the internet disappeared tomorrow our daily routin faced to a huge problumes.because today we comunicate with our family,friend by internet.And also we use internet in many places like schools, offices,busnieses.but i think we must have a blance to use internet in our life.childeren use internet too much to play games.insteat kids use internet too much they should do some activity in gym or outside if the weather is nice.  

Article posted March 12, 2012 at 07:10 PM GMT-6 • comment (3) • Reads 76

Wow, what a loaded question? What would I do if the internet dissappeared? I guess I have an advantage over everyone else as I do remember those days. It seems as though it was just yesterday, but we have allowed it to control every aspect of our lives. I honestly would not know what "I" would do.

I really believe that our lives have become way to dependent on the online experience, and that if we don't change quickly it will be too late. I don't know if we can do that. Pretty scary stuff to even ponder. Well for better or worse, I guess we will have to wait and see!!!

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 08:35 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 35

The internet is a vast landscape of information. Some people find love but what ever happend to the simpler times when people had to socialize "face to face". If the internet was to disapear today I think alot of people would be lost and lonely. My self personally could care less about the internet I guess I am a bit old school that way. It sure would be interesting to see if the world would stop turning thou. :)

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 37

I think would be hard without internet we are to used to work with the internet or technology, is very helpful to everyone and make us our work and life easy. today internet is part of our life, and yes i'm very dependent to internet to found information and social interactivity ,I spend some time in my computer everyday for fun at face book or to do research for my home works ,for information , work porpuse .

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 08:11 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

If the internet disappeared tomorrow i would be able to live with out it, since i only use it to read the news or type something out. The internet is a very useful tool and some people have become dependent on it and rely on its use to communicate with family members and get valuable information. I think that the reason for so many people depending on the internet for social interaction and other reasons is that, people have gotten so use to it being in there lifes its like a life style or habit to instant message somone rather than call.

Article posted March 14, 2012 at 08:40 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 41

If the internet were to shut down now it really wouldnt bug me.I personally think it is all crap.I have never used it not interested.The most i have used the computer is in this class.I have no use talking to people i dont want to.If i want to talk to somebody i use a phone!

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 09:00 AM GMT-6 • comment (2) • Reads 40

If the internet disappeared I think I’d go crazy=http:// Some people would have a hard time looking up bus info or any other important information we rely on the internet for. I think people are becoming very dependent on the internet, because you can look up anything and now with Facebook you’re more aware of how people are doing and where they are.

English 40S McLeod
English 40S Transcona (condensed Nov. - Jan.)
English Upgrading

My name is Jody Ferguson. I am 32 years old. I am married and have two children - Alexis (13) and Aiden (7). I am a very busy hockey/drama/Girl Guides/roller derby mom who also loves good music, tattoos and Coca-Cola. I teach English Language Arts at both the Mcleod Adult Learning Centre and the Transcona Adult Learning Centre. I love my job! jferguson@retsd.mb.ca