Copyright (c) 2014 by Jody Ferguson Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jody Ferguson -- Blogmeister

RETSD Adult Education Program-

English Language Arts

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by Jody Ferguson

ELA Manitoba Curriculum Documents
Human Rights Watch
Canadian Letters and Images Project
The Virtual Museum of Canada
The Canadian Encyclopedia
Oprah.com - Text info about Night and Elie Wiesel
The Book Thief - author info., discussion questions, etc.
Henry Rollins Official Site - Check out everything this guy does!
The Weakerthans Homepage
Internet Research Skills Wiki - Developed by Christine Robinson
'Net Know-How - A great site for info on how to be a wise and responsible internet user!
Owl at Purdue MLA 2009 Writing Guide
Watch Free Documentary Films Online
Freedom Riders Documentary - info and clips
Daily Grammar
Englishgrammar.org
Grammar Tips
10 Tips for Effective Editing
Commonly Confused Words
Notes on The Book Thief (from author Markus Zusak
How Will We Love? Documentary (Grade 11)
Ted Talks - Stefana Broadbent: How the Internet enables intimacy (Grade 11)
The Truth According to Wikipedia Documentary (Grade 12)
Freerice.com
No Logo: Brands, Globalization and Resistance Documentary
Naomi Klein on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos (No Logo: Ten Years Later)
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 1
The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) video part 2
The Grammar Gang - yes, an interesting blog about grammar!
Owl at Purdue Writing Guide
Grade 12 - Analysis text example
Crowdsourcing the News - Paul Lewis (Ted.com) - Grade 11 Media Study
OWL at Purdue - Evaluating Sources
Sample Essay #1 - MLA Style
Sample Essay #2 - MLA Style
Manitobia - Manitoban History
Ted.com
Macleans Magazine
Intro to Pathos video - Using Emotion as a Tool in your Speaking and Writing
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting - The Basics (YouTube)
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting: List of Works Cited (YouTube)
In-text Citations, MLA Style (YouTube)
Paleface - Burn and Rob (Grade 12 - Censorship Jigsaw Groups)
Sept. 11th Pager Data
Flocabulary - 5 Things (Elements of a Short Story)
Rosa Parks Biography (English Upgrading)
Gr. 12 Analysis Sample (Video- Nystrom Hits Letang)

Article posted February 25, 2012 at 07:14 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 105

My favorite movie is Aliens its an older movie. It was released in 1986 and the director was James Cameron. The movie is jam pact with action and suspence. Their is no CGI in this film, everything is hand made working film props and hand made scale models. That makes it look realistic. The movie has a good story line continuing from the first movie called Alien which was also a good movie.

Article posted February 15, 2012 at 09:11 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 40

My favorite band is Metallica. I have listened to them since I was 13 or so and still do. I also met my husband on a trip to Regina with a friend to see Metallica there. I have met them twice, once in Winnipeg and another time in Regina.

Article posted February 15, 2012 at 09:10 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 40

I would say my favorite all time movie is Raiders of the Lost Arc. I seen it in the movie theatre for the first time when I was about 7 or 8 and if I were to take a guess I have seen it about 20 times. It had it all, it was a love story, action movie, comedy and it was a little scary as well, not to mention it stared Harrison Ford.

Article posted February 26, 2012 at 03:53 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 40

Honestly, I cant really narrow it down to either my favourite movie, band or book. I do love movies, but none in particular stand out. The genre’s of movie’s I do like are, horror, action, thriller, comedy and chick flicks. I would say that I have a great interest in the old Disney movies. When it comes to books, I don’t read as much as I probably should. Just recently I started to get back into reading. When I have some spare time I’ll crack open a book and wow! Its hard for me to put it down. It all depends on the type of book you read and what your preferences are. I like to read more realistic and true story based books. Lastly, I love music! I pretty much enjoy every genre. I mainly listen to pop, rap, acoustic, rock some country and I really love techno. What I listen to depends on the kind of mood I’m in.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 07:28 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 44

My favourite book is the old man and the sea. It is my favourite book because I love fishing and this old man spent 3 days being drags around the ocean in a little skiff with the fishing line raped around his arm and hook was a 18 foot marlin. This is the best book I ever read then again I don’t read many books. I love fishing and this would be a good book to bring fishing or on a flight.

Article posted February 15, 2012 at 09:05 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 34

My favorite movie hands down would have to ALIENS: Collectors edition. Mainly because aliens in this movie are bad-ass. The collectors edition is my preffered choice because it gives you an additional 15 min. or so showing the initial alien infestation. I could go on forever about this movie, but I'll stop with that.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 05:07 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 37

One of my all time favourite things in life would presently be my nice, Lux. She is the most beautiful, cheerful, thoughtful, intelligent, creative, expressive three year old I have ever come accross. I would do anything for her and it is torture living six hours away and not being able to see her whenever I want. I have a feeling she is going to do great things in her life, and will make a big impression on alot of people.

Kari.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 41

I love to read. I go through about a novel every two days. Some authors I enjoy include: Robin Cook, John Grisham, and Tami Hoag. My favorite author, though, is Dean Koontz. If I start one of his books, I will stay up all night until it is finished. They're horribly addictive. My favorite novel by him is called: The Good Guy. He also writes poetry and my favorite poetry book my him is called: The Book of Counted Sorrows.

Article posted February 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM GMT-6 • comment (2) • Reads 41

City of God. Go watch it. If you don't, I pity you. Maybe you like to live a bleak life without seeing some excitement or clever plot structures. Stunning cinematography is not your bag? Then go watch some Jennifer Aniston movie...I can't help you! I do warn you, this movie is extremely violent and is not for everyone, but I can't control your temptation for excellent movie-making, so go watch it and reap the benefits of a great movie experience!

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 07:31 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 47

It is really hard to say what my favourite movie is, I have a lot. I probably have a favourite comedy movie, action movie, mystery and suspense. I really do not have one in particular that stands out for me, but I am a big movie person and watch them all the time. Trying to compare an old classic to a new modern movie with the graphics and everything can be difficult, therefore I am really stumped on which movie I could call my favourite.

Article posted February 27, 2012 at 04:14 PM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 41

My favorite movie has to be Gran Torino. When I heard that this movie was comming out, I had to go see it. I beleave that Clint Eastwood had one of his best performances in this movie, by helping his neighbours against a local gang. When I seen this movie i was blown away from the acting and the story line that they were giving the audience.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 42

Ralston A my favourite movie is Rambo real accion you can not stop for pop corn. If you know you got to go to the wash room. Back home we would say seat an hold tiet

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 40

my favourite movies prolly the Big labowski, the cast of dysfunctional characters makes me feel right at home and in my opinion is a movie worthy of its cult following.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 41

rush is the greatest band a person can call his or her own.because thei sing about  peace happiness and love.and getting along  with your fellow man.thei also sing about  life and  familey freand ships .and the meaning of life.basicaly this group .is telling people to live and let live.TO me i guess thei are sayinglet your fellow man or woman live life to the best of your potenail and do not let any one sway you from your goals in life  because with out that there is no meaning to life   

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 47

One of my favourite books is The Brothers Karamazov by Fiodor Doestoevsky.I like the book because it is so descriptive about three brothers who are so different from oneanother yet so linked together by Family ties.There are also some scenes in it that are described to the utmost.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 46

my favorite movie is lost of the mohicans.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM GMT-6 • comment (2) • Reads 39

I like to watch the movie in my free time. My favourite American actor is the Vin Diezel and the movie is “Fast and Furious”. It’s such an interesting and lowly movie I’ve ever seen. The way have it’s made and played by the actors it’s such a profession way. So if you didn’t see that movie yet don’t waists your time go and have fun.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 42

The movie that make me remember every part of it, it's The girl with the dragon tattoos. This movie is show me the other side of human. As a woman, it's so many danger things out there that we have to watch out. And this movie teaching me that i can't touch anyone even myself. When i was watching this movie, it was keeping me want to know what next. Every part was blowing my mine away. At the end of it, it showing that how important of parenthood to the children.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 39

My favourite music is underground rap i enjoy listening to the sound of the rap beat and lot of the lyrics.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 43

Write about your favourite book, band or movie. Discuss why it is your favourite.

My favourite band of all times is Metallica. When I first heard Kirk Hammett play Master of Puppets, I knew they were my band. The style of playing was so unorthodox, I have never heard anything like it before. From screaming guitars to a classical style of playing. When I play guitar today, you can hear Kirk Hammett style of playing in my own guitar play.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 39

My favorite book is anything by Dean Coontz. I like him as an auther because he's a great writer with a twisted and wild imagination. My favorite book of his has got to be Watcher. If u get the chance read a Dean Coontz book,I would highly recomend it...if your stomach can handle it.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 45

My favorite movie is The Vow , It is a good movie because its based on a true story and the all play there parts very well. It is a very touching movie .

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

I love to watch english and hindi movies. I really like to watch horror, romatics and suspence.my favourite movie was easy A. It was funny to watch that I enjoyed. This is the first time i saw a funny movie.

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 47

My favourite movie would have to be P.S I love you. This is my favourite movie because of how well the script was thought out.

Also because I think this movie is an amazing love story even though it is sad at the same time. This is a movie that I could watch over and over again. The actors are great in this movie as well.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 43

My favourite movie is probably Lord of the Rings just because its so much diffrent than every other movie and theres so much detail in it, they have maps, different languages and different races like orcs, elfs, goblins, and hobbits.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 40

My all time favourite movie would have to be Dumb and Dumber. This is my fave because it can make me laugh no matter what mood i'm in. This movie also makes me wonder how many people are wandering the face of the earth that are as ridiculusly oblivious as these two goof balls.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 40

hello my friends. i want to let you know and all others that care about soccer, that my team (Real Madrid) is doing great And i have a good feeling that Spain will win the euro cup this year (again). have a great day.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 42

My favorite movie is Scarface with actor Al Pacino. When this movie was released in 1983 it was not a success. It wasn't until the late 1990's when organized crime and street gangs increased that the movie gained popularity. Scarface was looked upon by gangsters as an "idol". I like this movie because it shows the difficult struggles of a Cuban immigrant coming to America, but also what he was able to achieve in a short period of time. I also like this movie because it is a prime example of the saying "more money, more problems" and shows how all good things come to an end in the drug world.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 38

My favourite movie is North Country,  because the lady fought the rights of women for work place harassment, and all the women should appreciate what she did.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 42

I have a lot of favourite movies and books! One of my favourite movies is Benjuman Button with Brad Pitt! He is an amazing actor and he did a phenomanal job in this movie. A favourite book that ive read is Where the Red Fern Grows, this book is based on a true story and is so good; it brings tears to my eyes! I suggest checking it out and reading it if you haven't!

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 42

I like read poetry.I enjoyed reading poetry books. 

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 44

My favorite movie is The Notebook! There are a few reasons as to why I think this is my favorite. The movie takes us on a journey through the perils and triumphs of what true love is all about.It starts by introducing us to true love from it's beginning through it's end.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 43

my name is Alicia and my favorite movie was Nacho Libre with Jack Black its was a very funny movie that I enjoy it every time that I see it. He is so funny and talented ,I love the way he was acting on the movie; I laughed so hard the day I first watch it .

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 36

My favorite movie is grandmas boy because it's hilarious and has good actors.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 45

Guns n roses are the greatest band in the world!THE LYRICS ARE AMAZING,the music rocks and the songs just pump me up.I have listend to them since I was a boy.The first tape i ever owened was Appatite For Dustruction.I will always be a gunner.It is to bad my man Axl let it go to his head. His new album sucks all he does is wine.Slash on the other hand his album is pretty intense.He is still awsome live for how old he is.I think they should do a reunion tour that would be cool.it will never happen

.But they are one of the greats.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 42

This is Brazilian (Portuguese) music it is very popular in Europe and Jenefer Lopez used it in her new albom.

English 40S McLeod
English 40S Transcona (condensed Nov. - Jan.)
English Upgrading

My name is Jody Ferguson. I am 32 years old. I am married and have two children - Alexis (13) and Aiden (7). I am a very busy hockey/drama/Girl Guides/roller derby mom who also loves good music, tattoos and Coca-Cola. I teach English Language Arts at both the Mcleod Adult Learning Centre and the Transcona Adult Learning Centre. I love my job! jferguson@retsd.mb.ca