Greetings, readers! I hope you are all well. Recently we have been learning about the stock market. To learn about this, we watched certain stocks for eight weeks and  we watched a couple videos. Here I will explain what one of them was about. This particular video was in three parts, about the stock market in general, and called "Live From the Floor of the New York Stock Exchange". First it showed the CEO of NYSE Euronext, Duncan Niederaurer, welcoming students and showing us the New York Stock Exchange's facade. The next part showed many people telling us what the Stock Exchange meant to them, and I learned that companies from all over the world go there to take part in this. The third part gave us a tour of the floor of the NY Stock Exchange. I noted that the floor is busy, crowded, and filled with technology. Although it seems that it would be cool to go there, I don't think I would like to. Crowded places and I just do not mix. To learn how stocks work, my classmates and I each picked four stocks and watched them for eight weeks. The stocks I chose were Wal-Mart, Apple,Coca-Cola, and Johnson and Johnson. Throughout the last few weeks I have learned a lot about the stock marcket and how it functions.

Hello hockey fans! Anyone else annoyed by the lack of hockey? I sure am! This lockout has been going on for too long. They need to figure out a compromise, and soon. I am losing my little mind! There's no baseball(63 days until pitchers and catchers report), I have an injury so I can't run, and there's no hockey! Comment with your opinion if you want! What's your favorite hockey team? What about your favorite baseball team? Play any sports?

I am FB, Cecilia’s cousin. I was very close to her all through our lives, and now, once she has passed away, I feel it is my duty to tell her life story. There were time when as small children, we would go around trying to convince people we were sisters. She was a selfless, faithful woman who was courageous when others would be weak. Cecilia was one of the best friends I ever had, and this is her life story.

Cecilia was born in Rome, Italy to pagan parents. Fortunately, her parents respected the Christian religion, so when she was raised Christian by her nurse and my family it was mostly overlooked. I was also raised to be Christian by my parents, and our family was very influential in her Christian upbringing. One day, when we were both about ten years old, Cecilia and I went to hear a priest’s sermon in the catacombs. The subject that day turned out to be on vows of virginity. After the Mass, I looked over to where Cecilia was sitting to find an empty seat. Scared that she had gotten lost, I nervously searched the darkened room to no avail. “Guess what?” I whipped around to find my cousin beaming at me, her eyes sparkling with excitement. “What?” “I just was talking to the priest and I took my vow of virginity!” You can imagine my surprise, she had always been the wise and not impulsive one, but I guess she was very moved by the preacher’s powerful words.

Eight years later, I looked out my window to see her racing down the road to my house, close to tears. I ran to the door to let her in and then guided her to my room. She broke down into tears and I comforted her until she could speak. She told me that her parents had arranged for her to marry Valerian, a pagan. I was shocked to say the very least. They knew of her vow, and yet they still did this? She was so scared and confused. How would she respect her parent’s will without breaking her vow? We brainstormed of how to get out of this predicament and decided to fast and pray to God about this. He would know what to do. We did this until the day of her wedding. She informed me early that morning that God had told her in a dream that he had sent two angels to protect her. I was so relieved, but how would she tell Valerian?

The next time I saw Cecilia, she informed me she told Valerian about her vow of virginity. After their marriage, she told Valerian that she had a secret that he couldn’t tell anyone. Upon his promise that he would not tell, she told him about the angels that protected her.She told him that if he respected her vow, God would reward him. He was intrigued by this and inquired how he too could he see the angels. She told him that once he converted to Christianity he would then be able to see angels and other miraculous things. Valerian visited Pope Urban that very night. Once he converted, he was indeed able to see the angels. He respected her vow and they decided they would live together as brother and sister.

Throughout her life, Cecilia was very passionate about converting others to Christianity. With the help of Valerian, she and I converted about 400 people, including her brother-in-law. One day, while Valerian and his brother were preaching, they were summoned by Almachius, the Governor of Rome. Cecilia and I were unaware of this and became distressed when they did not come home when they should have. We went out to try and find them. After asking a guard of the Governor, we found out that they had been questioned about their faith and pressured to renounce their religion. When they refused, they were martyred. Nearly overcome with grief, Cecilia took their bodies and buried them with my aid.

Soon after that, Cecilia was arrested and brought to Almachius. We were at the burial spot of Valerian and his brother when the soldier came for her. She neither cried nor yelled, only told me to stay strong in the face of adversity. The next time I saw her she was being taken into her home by soldiers to be suffocated in the baths because she professed her faith. I was not allowed to enter the house but I listened closely at the door to the soldiers’ conversations. I heard one telling the other to make it as hot as possible, then surprisingly I heard Cecilia singing. One of the soldiers came running out of her house, rambling about her not dying. I was elated, but soon my spirits fell when I saw another soldier coming to cut off her head. A little later, I again saw him running out of the house and stopped him. He told me he tried to cut off her head three times but couldn’t. I ran into the house and saw the awful sight of my friend in excruciating pain.

The next three days were hard for her. She was in so much pain, and yet she still sang and preached through it all. I am proud to say I was there, holding her hand the whole time until, her voice getting weaker and weaker, she slowly stopped singing and closed her eyes. Throughout those three days, she kept on telling everyone to stay strong in the face of adversity, and when in doubt, sing. That really was her way, to sing in bad times and always look on the bright side of life. I feel that if she were here, that’s what she would be telling you all.

Postscript:

I have picked Saint Cecilia as the Saint I wish to choose for Confirmation. I chose this saint because she is a great role model, generous, selfless, faithful, loves music, and possesses inner strength. The name I wish to be called at Confirmation is Cecilia.

The image I used is a picture of St. Cecilia sitting in a chair. I picked it because I think is a pretty portrait of her. 

Bernardo Strozzi, taken under CC license

In Health class, we watched a movie called Super Size Me. We are learning about exercise and nutrition this year. To teach us about managing our diet and food intake, we were shown this movie.

In Super Size Me, Morgan Spurlock vows to eat nothing but McDonalds food, breakfast lunch and dinner, for 30 days. He also had to consume every item on the menu at least once. He could only eat food from the menu, including bottled water. If he was asked if he wanted to "supersize" the meal, he was required to. Since most Americans do not exercise daily, he could not exersise at all except for walking around. He frequently visited a cardiologist, a nutritionist, and a personal trainer. They recorded his weight and his blood pressure among other things. In 30 days, he gained 24.6 pounds, which took him 14 months on a strict diet to work off.

I learned that we should watch what we eat and eat food that is good for you. I learned in class that if we intake more calories than we burn off, we will gain weight. If we eat less calories than we intake, we lose weight. If we consume equal amounts, our weight will stay the same. Watching that video made me disgusted by what our country eats. I know that in the future I will try my hardest not to eat fast food.  We could have a brighter (and healthier) future if our country did not deteriorate our health by eating fast food.

In school we had a Social Studies project. We were assigned a country and then had to research many things about it like climate, sports, and regional foods. The purpose was to learn about a foreign country and then make an online book out of the research we did. This is my online book and I hope you enjoy looking through it.

Hello! It has been too long since I blogged and I am sorry for tht. But, I have two things to talk about. First, I Have never told you about my favorite music. This is a travesty because it is a major thing in my life. Literally, I listen to music every single day for at least an hour and a half. So, I would like to share my favorite bands. They are in no particular order.

1. MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

2. FOSTER THE PEOPLE

3. BLINK-182

4. PANIC! AT THE DISCO

5. ELVIS COSTELLO

As you can see, I mostly like Indie Rock and Punk Rock. Secondly, animal lovers rejoice! Burger King has promised to use all cage-free eggs and pork by 2017. 

Article posted January 17, 2012 at 01:57 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 58

Hello blog world! I hope everyone had some very happy holidays. The reason I am writing you, my dear friends, is to amuse my friend, KB. She has a very unique theory on penguins that if you ask her she might blog about. But in short, some penguins are evil and give you certain diseases. So my dear KB and friends, this is a link to a picture of a plotting penguin. It is uncertain if the plan is indeed evil but considered yourselves forewarned.

In 2000, the United Nations came up with a plan. They came up with 8 millennium delvelopment goals. The goal of this plan was to better our world by achieving these goals by 2015. To visit the UN Millennium Goal website, click here.              

These goals were: 1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger. 2.Achieve universal primary education. 3.Promote gender equality and empower women. 4. Reduce child mortality. 5. Improve maternal health. 6. Combat Hiv/Aids, malaria, and other diseases. 7. Ensure environmental sustainability. 8.Develop a global partnership for development.                                                                                                    

Work has begun on all of the goals in many countries. In 2004, the number of people who are undernourished in Ghana has fallen to 9% of the population from 34% in 2004. Chlid mortality has declined 14% in Zambia from 1990 to 2008. We can make this happen, maybe not by 2015 but definitely in the next 15 years. If we join together, we can do this. I used the Un Millennium goals website.   

Children, Kisumu, Kenya by ben.eos20d under CC license

Article posted August 5, 2011 at 09:44 PM GMT • comment • Reads 46

I was looking around on PETA2's blog, which is a blog for all vegetarians, vegans, and those who wish to learn more about becoming vegetarian or vegan.  So I was looking around and I found a story about the ingredients in Mc Nuggets. I already knew they were gross but then I saw they had an ingredient also found in silly putty! If you want to read this story, click here. Also, I encourage everyone on the planet to go vegetarian or vegan! I myself am vegetarian. If you would like to read up on how incredibly easy it is to go vegetarian or vegan, click here(the PETA website) or here(the PETAkids website).

I was picking strawberries at a local farm on Saturday and I saw a woman TEXTING WHILE SHE WAS PICKING STRAWBERRIES! It is amazing how so many people can't live without phones or social networking. One example is a couple weeks ago I was working a water stop for a  half-marathon and I saw a runner playing with their phone while they were running!