Copyright (c) 2014 by L Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
L -- Blogmeister

2010-2011

by L

teacher: Mr. Edwards

Title: Our New Life in America (04/18/11)
Description: We read a story of immigration about the Markowitz family from Russia. Students read about their struggles in Russia, the many hardships they faced, and the new life the found in America. We shared our thoughts about their story. Read them below.

They were forced to Immigrate by will because their were living ina small house in russia but being attacked by mob's for being Jews and they had scarce food. On the shipride it was tough for them. Lot's of disease, some deathes and such little room that you were lucky if you were one of the few who could sleep while laying down. ONly the rich got to have the front deck to themselves. But the Markowitz were not rich and I meen not very rich at all. When they dockedc in Ellis Island they had to pass an expection course because they didn't want any spreading disease in America and if you don't pass the inspection you are forced to go back by yourself! Luckily the Markowitz family was fine. But at first life was not easy at all. They had to live in the most crowded and unpleasent part of the city which was full of different culture. But as they grew up they got more money and were able to move out of their uncomfortable tenements and lived a good life.

Have you ever hated school because of homework and boring teachers? Well go to greenbriar school they treat you like Lebron James. They have great classes,tools and great class themed teachers.

Greenbriar has great classes like gym,music,and science lab. In gym it’s a time to work your muscles while having fun with friends. We also get to try new foods for healthy food of the week and experience new foreign games. In gym my favorite game is survival because I get to let my competitive and strategic thoughts free. I like that feeling because it really shows my competitive nature and trust me I have a lot of that. In music we get to participate in group activity’s like musicals. We also get to try rare instruments and I bet your current school doesn’t do that! My favorite instrument is the foreign bongos because they make funny noises and I’m in my first year of the musicals and already I love it!. Science is also fun. Because we get to try an d take home experiments. Best of all we learn these crazy facts. My favorite are sports science because I love sports and they really make you think.

Ring, ring , ring “ah that peacful sound of the recess bell at Greenbriar “.

“Luckily I’m here going to school otherwise..... well I guess I’m just lucky going here to Greenbriar every morning instead of anywhere else!.

In class I read a story about a family that was having difficltys with life in Russia. These problems were pogroms, these are groups of people that attack and kill people. In addition to that one of the family members had to go to war. This was very bad because there were very bad conditions.

They soon decided to get out of Russia and sail to America.That is what they did. The trip was difficult, but they finally made it. Sadly their trip was not over, they had to take a fairy to Elis Island. There they would be checked for serious diseases, if a very bad disease was found that person would be sent back without any family.

When they got to their "house" they found it very small.Sadly that isn't even the worst of it, the ,men had to work at sweatshops. They weren't well payed well even though woking hours were long.Overall the Markowitz family enjooyed their new life in America.

I read a story about a family that immigrated. Here is their story and some of my thoughts.

First they went to The Pale to get away from their home town because people were attaching Jews and they were Jewish. I thought that was mean and I would not like it if people did that to me because of my religion. Then they went to Germany I think and they bought tickets to America. They didn't have enough money so they sold someones gold necklace. I hoped that they would like their thrip but it turns out everyone hated it. Once they got to America they rented a room in a tenement and it was crowded. I am glad that they even had enough money to get it. Two kids went to school and the whole Marks family, except for one kid, had to work. THey hated it. I would too. At the end of the story the Marks family moves off of Ellis Island and lives a better live. On kid goes to college and the other becomes a lawyer. I'm glad that we have better laws now because I would of not wanted to immagrate from what I have heard. It doesn't sound like fun. That is the story of the Marks family.

We read a story called Our New Life In America. We were reading about the immigration of the Mark's family. They were from Russia. There ware five of them. They from the pale of settelment.c A very bad place. They hired a guide to sneak them out. Once they got on board the ship it was misery. One of them got a disease. Once they docked on Ellis Island They all made it past inspection. Once they got to the main land they rented a small tenament. They all worked very hard. In The end they all got good jobs and lived happily ever after.

The Marks family immigrated from Russia because life was unfair because of government so they left to America. When they went to the ship they where a lot of people. When they got to Ellis Island one was going to get sent back but then a man came and tested him again and said that ha was healthey and he could stay. then they went into amarica and life was not so easy. I liked the book it was it was interesting and you learned a lot. It was a really good book.

The Marks family come from Russia to Germany to America.They escaped from The Pale, because the pogrom attacked the pale just because they were jewish. So they escaped over night. Most of the people in the pale escaped too. then they came on a boat. When they arrived in America the had to go through a health inspection at ellis island.The great thing was that they passed the test. Now to make a living.

Article posted April 25, 2011 at 08:19 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 94

The Markowitz family lived in Russia. It was hard because it was a bad town to live in. There were some pogroms that wrecked the town. I would hate to live a town like that because there people that wreck the town. So the left the town in Russia at night. The people in the family were The Mom, the Dad, Sasha, Jacob and Emma. They had a helper to help them sneak out of the country. I would be scare if any one catches us and take us to jail. They got to the boat and left to New York. They had to get checked if the had diseases before they go in the country. They were fine. I would hate if I had a disease. They got in the country. They lived in a tenement. It was small but it was better then before. They were great in New York. Sasha Become a lawyer and There friend Carry became a college professor.

In class we just wrote a story that was called Our life in America. It was about a family called the Markowitz family. They immigrated from Russia and life was hard for them. In America they lived in a tenement crowded with people and the dad worked in a factory. They kept their Jewish custom as well as being American and learning American custom. When the family came to America the name Markowitz was shortened to Marks. I think it must be real hard to immigrate. Imagine being in a boat for weeks, cramped in a tiny space. You might get sick. It's also scary. There might be storms too. Then once you get to America you go through inspection. One person is sick and they get sent back to where you came from you and your family could get separated. But if you do make it through inspection you still are getting poked throughout your body. From the moment you walk off the boat you are being watched. That must be hard! America does give a better life for people but it is hard. You might not be able to find work and for some immigrants work means long hard hours. You get tired. Lots of immigrants work at sweatshops. Can you imagine work being so hard you need to go on strike? If you can imagine that, try imagining life being so bad that you leave your country. I can't imagine that. Well I got to go now, bye!

The Markowitz family had a pretty tough life because they had to learn to adjust to a new country they've never been to. but they liked the new place they were at because in Russia they had no freedom and in America they can have all the freedom they want. I thought they'd never learn how to adjust to the new country they were in but they did! They got jobs their and they learned that a lot of other people came to a America too for the same reasons they came for which was, they weren't treated right for their religion and if they were poor or not. I think the Markowitz family is very brave for trying a new thing and then adjusting to it so easily and fast.

We read about a family called the marks family. In the family there is mama, papa, emma, jacub, Nathan, and shasha there is also, Bubbe, and gradfather. The first 6 Immagrated to america. I thought that It would be hard to leave all my friend from my home. And if I lived in Russia like the Marks and if I was jewish I would live in a pale so I would want to move some where I would be better treated. It was hard for them to adapt to there new life. There real last name was the Markowitz there name got changed because when they where getting "checked in" The person helping them couldn't understand there last name so he wrote down "Marks." It was hard because they couldn't speak american And they where jewish so they where not aloud certain places because of there religion. If I where the person who wrote down there name I would have found some one who spoke russian and write down there real name. I thought that this story was a good story. I really liked it. I think the marks made a good choice to go to america.

We read about a family called the Markowitz family. They lived in the pale of settlement. Their family includes Jacob, Mama, Sasha, Emma and Nathan. I feel bad for them because when they lived in Russia they were poor but still had some money but when they came to America they couldn't just trade their old money for new money in an ATM, now their money was useless so they had no money and back then it was hard for immigrants to get a good job.

We read a story about a family who immigrates to America. They lived Russia. Back than the jews in Russia had to live in the pale. The pale was awful there would be mob attacks on jews just because they were jews. So the Marks went on a boat to America The marks were worried for their son Nathan because his eye was puffy and they worried he wouldn't pass inspection but everybody did:). They were forced to live in a small apartment called a tenement. They also had to work at a bad factory called a sweatshop. Eventually they made a lot of money and moved to a better home yay.

This story is about a Russian family that was attacked because of there religion. So they got on a ship to America. They all got a job. They finally got enough money to get a proper house.

The Markowitz family is a jewish family that lived in Russia and is immigrating to america because of pogroms. Pogroms are people who do not like jews so they team up against jews and wreck their stores and stuff like that. So the Marks family decided to immigrate to America. The boat ride was a nasty ride everyone was seasick, you where crammed into the steerage of the boat, and you couldn't communicate with anyone because you didn't speak the same langauge. After the boat ride they went to Ellis Island to get checked to see if they had any sickness. Then they went to America to start a new life they had to get jobs in factory's which was really hard. Eventually they adjusted, Sasha the oldest son got married, and Nathen,and emma went to school!

I think it would be hard to be in the marks family. Because theres sickness and Pogroms. Pogroms would mob attack on jews back in russia. Thats why they came to america. But I would be happy when I came to america like the marks family. But I wouldnt want to work in a sweatshop like them. All they do is work in a sweat shop to make a living! Thats why I think it would be hard to be the mark's family.