Copyright (c) 2014 by A Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
A -- Blogmeister

2010-2011

by A

teacher: Mr. Edwards

Title: Week in Review - January 21st, 2011 (01/21/11)
Description: What did we do this week? Share what you learned this week in our class.

Our class was busy this shortened week. Math class was consumed by multiplication. We look at patterns when multiplying by tens, hundreds, thousands...We also learned how to use all-partial strategy to solve multiplication problems, but found compact math still the best way to solve a problem. We did a lot of research and reading on the 13 American colonies. We finished talking about Jamestown and moved on to researching the 13 colonies. Students researched basic facts about their colony and created a Google earth over lay. The overlay can be found below. We also worked on the comprehension strategy of predicting. Students made predictions, revised them and then rejected or confirmed them in various types of articles/stories. Finally re revised the topic of stranger danger and refreshed our understandings of what to do. It was a good week over all and hopefully a great weekend with a BEARS WIN!!

This week in science we learned about were in the room it is cold and hot . We learned it is warmer up high because hot air rises.

In gym we played the games survival and firefighter where you throw dodgeballs at a big excercize ball until it reaches your destination. In music we played instrument bingo where you listen to the sounds of the instruments and you cover the instruments spaces. In art we worked on our city image and started coloring our old clay project. In history I'm learning about the colony South carolina. In kidsmarts we did a review on stranger danger and to know how to contact a teacher or supervisor or even so draw attention. That was my week.

This week, we have been learning about colonies. What we are doing is each studying a colony and doing lots of projects. I'm partnered up with someone but most people aren't. I'm studying Pennsylvania and we have learned a lot of information. Do you know anything about the colonies?

Another thing I learned this week was in Literacy. We are learning on how to predict. So far we have read a couple of books and we are predicting a lot of things. Sometimes we will do it with a partner. I think predicting can be hard because in most books because what happens next can be anything. Most of the time my predictions are wrong or they don't get answered.

Those are somethings that we learned this week.

One of my favorite things that I did this week was we played pinball soccer in P.E. everyone gets a plastic bowling pin and one soccer ball when you have all of that you find a spot in the gym and put your pin there. When the game starts you kick your soccer ball at anyone else's pin and try to knock it down. If you do, the person that's pin got knocked down has to sit for 15 seconds. Another fun thing that we did was go on google earth, everyone gets assigned a colony so my colony was North Carolina. You had to highlight it on google earth which was fun. You also have to title your colony and type some facts about it. And yet another thing I did was FINALLY PASSED IN OTTER CREEK!!! that is a practice in math it has all of the letters in the alphabet and every on e after the first is harder well thanks for reading, by!

At schol I am learning about colony I have new Jersey. It was founded in 1623 by lord Berkley. It was easy to find food and water. There was a lot of people. It is a really interesting colony.

In social Studies we're are learning about the Colonies. I got Pennsylvania for my colony. It was found by Penn Williams. It's region is the middle. It's the second state [Dec.12,1787]. They went there for religion freedom and for trade routes. Pennsylvania's nickname is the Keystone state. The ship's name was the "Welcome".The book our class is reading is A Lion To Guard Us. That is about going to the colonies. In music we are about to start practicing for the school play. It is the Nightingale. There is a lot of parts. I don't know what I want. Maybe the gong keeper. In kid smarts we learned about stranger danger. There are three words you should. Say no, run and scream. Go somewhere safe. In a friend's house or your house.

What a week. During the week we have done a lot. In math we have been working on partials. I think it's actually sort of fun. In literacy we been working on predicting. Also in social studies we have been doing colonies. We each are studying a colony. I have Maryland. My lit circle is reading the book Escaping The Giant Wave. We have done a lot and I have had a very nice week.

In our class this week we are learning about Predicting and Colonies. In predicting we are just doing how to make an accurate good prediction and if it is confirmed or if it never came up in the story. Sometimes predictions never come true and some might be correct. A prediction is basically a guess. In colonies we are all studying a different colony. I am studying Connecticut. I have learned a lot about Connecticut like they buried their charter in an oak tree and then they called it the Charter Oak because the book said they didn't trust their government. I really like learning about Connecticut. I really like learning a lot of new things in school.

For my week I did these three things( I did more than that but I think these are the most exiting.

1. we talked about parcels in math.

2. In social studies we are talking about the 13 colonies. I got Massachusetts. ( why such a long name why some thing short like road island?!?!)

3. In music we are listing to the Nightngale.

Well, that was my weekend.

This week we each got assigned a colony. Some people got paired up though since there were only thirteen U.S.A colonies. I am paired up with Andy and we have the North Carolina Colony. When we finished gathering our information we got to go onto Google Earth and made a polygon for North Carolina. If you don't know what a polygon is it is when you highlight something on Google Earth and type information in then when you click where you highlight, and if you pressed ok when you finished typing the information then on the place you made your polygon your information would show up. It looks really good when you are finished. I can't wait till next week.

This week I did colonies. Everyone in my class got a colony. My colony is Rhode Island. I researched Rhode Island. I found out that Rhode Island was founded in 1636 it was founded by Roger Williams. Also Rhode Island was formed for Religious freedom. Then we made a polygon on google earth of are colony, and we had to write all these fancy codes like . That was my week by.

This week we started learning about Colonies. We each got assigned a Colony. My colony was Virginia. I learned a lot about Jamestown. And how they started the government! I started the 3 Harry Potter and I love the series! And in math we were learning about angles and geometery!! I can't wait for the weekend and next week!!!!

This week we made a google earth project. We had to make polygons. We also put information about the state we made the polygon on. Then we colored the polygon are color. We then saved it to are server then we were done. It was a great week.