Copyright (c) 2014 by J Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
J -- Blogmeister

http://www.classblogmeister.com/blog_edit.php?userid=318960-

by J teacher: Mr. Edwards

Title: Week in Review - Friday, January 14th, 2011 (01/14/11)
Description: What did you do this past week at school? What stood out for you? What did you enjoy or learn about? Anything special or interesting happen? Be specific...

I am reading the book profiles in sports courage and Muhamad Ali was a boxing legend and it all started when he was young in louisville,kentucky his bike was stolen so he went to a police officer and the officer was teaching a boxing clinic and Ali jumped right and look where he is now.......a legend. This week we also learned about colonies and about Jamestown and the fort and there unexpected attack by the Indians. We learned the journeys on the ships were very tough there was lack of food and scarce water. In math this week we learned about order of operations and how you can make easy mistakes if you don't use order of operation. Order of operation is like heres a problem: 2+2*7 you would do {2*7}=14+2 so it would equal 16. In gym we played volleyball in our volleyball unit. We leaned the hits like a dig a bump and a spike and we played a few matches. In science we learned about air and how a hot airballoon floats by hot adams moving to make activity for it to float and of course the balloon would soon fall so real air balloons send fir to the top to keep it afloat. That was our week!

Right now we are learning about tons and tons of stuff. The first thing we are learning about is Jamestown. Jamestown is in Virginia. One of the first explorers traveled there from London. People soon became hungry and they couldn't go out of their fort. They called that "The Starving Time." Just before the surviving English were about to leave, more English men came with more food, extra clothes, and the men could stay. That's just about all we learned about Jamestown.

Another thing we learned about is how to divide in math. We use multiplication to help us. Also we used and 100 times table. We are getting a lot better at dividing small numbers. Still, we can not divide big numbers yet. I hope we will learn how to do that soon. That's just about all we are learning about in math.

The last thing we are learning about is how to set a goal in KIDsmarts. We got two pieces of paper. The first piece was really small and it said all of the days of the week. Then you wrote your goal on the top. If you did good you wrote a 2, oaky a 1, and bad you wrote a 0. The other piece of paper was a little bigger and said a list of goals. Then you made a star on 5 to 6 goals that you would like to succeed at throughout the ear.

Those are some thing that we have been doing throughout the week!!

Hi now I am thinking about what I will be doing over the weekend. On Saturday I will be playing in my basketball game. hopefully we will win unless it gets too snowy or something. Sunday is my day to chillaxe and watch TV. Maybe I will be able to watch a movie at night and play on my ipod touch. But the next day is monday and that means!!.................. MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY!!! more fun and, time to have fun! Who knows if the snow is 6 inches tall I can go skiing or sledding or play in the snow!!! if you are too lazy to read this highlight this, control click on it select speech and press speak now!

This week in math we did order of operations. When doing order of operations you do multiplication and division first then addition and subtraction second and don't forget that if you have more than one division or multiplication or addition or subtraction sentence do it left to right. In the historical part of school we were doing explorers. Specifically the english trip to Jamestown, Virginia. It was rather interesting. We were doing a volleyball session in Physical education. Otherwise it was just mostly one day stuff.

Thats just about it and just about the end.

At school I learned how to highlight Connecticut in Google Earth it was really fun but complicated.Next I learned about colony's I am studying Connecticut it is really fun to research colony's.

In science lab we learned if you filled a hot air balloon with cool air it will not float. But if you fill it with hot air it will float. That's why they call it a hot air balloon. The atoms move all around and go to the top of the balloon.

In math we are learning the order of operations. That is addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. You remember that from My Dear Aunt Sally. Like 8+(7x2)-6= 18.

In social studies we are learning about Jamestown. it's in Virginia. The people went there for profit. Money and gold. Then tobacco.

I've had a wonderful week. We have been learning about colonies. During the learning I've learned lot that I never knew. For example did you know Pocahontas is a real person? Thats what we have been learning about in social studies but we have done lots of other things this week too. In gym we have been doing volleyball. We played until one of the teams reached fifteen points. Today though we played a game called- You Are Lucky If... That was fun! In math we have been doing order of operations. I think it has been one of our more fun units. Today in kidsmarts we worked on making goals for ourselves. It's always good to make goals so we can do our best.

We learn a lot of things in fourth grade so I'll tell you somethings i'm learning about. In reading we are learning about predicting. It is when you think of something that is going to happen in the story and sometimes it can happen and sometimes it doesn't happen. Next we are learning about colonies, like Jamestown. We have learned a lot about Jamestown but the main thing is how they got their and what happened when they got their. They settlers came from London, England all the way to Virginia! When they finally got their they picked a horrible spot to set fort. The shape of the fort was a triangle and the reason why it was a horrible spot to pick was because the Native Americans shared the same land so the Native Americans attacked the settlers! In KIDsmarts we learned about setting goals. We put some goals on our assignment note book. One of the goals I picked was making sure I take out my DPP (a math packet) right away in the morning. Then for homework we have to pick five more goals to work on, I haven't deiced what my other five will be but I'm pretty sure over the weekend I'll know what to do. Thats what were working on in fourth grade!

My week was fun. math was taken over by multiplication. I was thinking this entire week, when will we do other things? But that never happened. We did so much multiplication that I thought my head was going to explode! so that was my week!

This week we did a lot of fun activities. On Monday we started our colony unit. We watched a video on Jamestown while taking notes. Jamestown was the first permanent United States settlement. We also read some articles on Jamestown, and how it was very hard for the new settlers to survive. For example the water in the James river was dirty so the settlers didn't have water to drink that was healthy for them. Also the food was scarce so they traded with the

Native Americans for food. Sometimes the settlers and Native Americans had feasts with each other because the Native Americans were very good at catching wild animals (the have been in America for thousands of years).

On Friday Mr. Edwards started reading us a book about the settlers called A Lion to Guard Us by Clyde Robert Bulla. It is about a girl named Amanda's father go's on a boat traveling to Jamestown. The rest of her family and her will be going to Jamestown also once her mother isn't ill anymore. Right now Amanda, Her little brother and sister and her mom are living in a nearby house in England. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

I am looking forward to continue our colony unit next week.

This week learned about colonies. The main thing we learned about is Jamestown. Jamestown is a English settlement in Virginia. The people of England came to Jamestown to look for gold but there was no gold. Only fertile ground so they grew tobacco. They stated with very little money and ended up with a lot by shipping the tobacco to England. It was very hard to live in Jamestown evan with all the money. The water in the river was polluted and the indians were attacking a lot.

In math we learned about order of operation that's when you have a big problem and you do the operation in the right way it is, multiplication division addition subtraction.

My class and I went to science lab this week. We were learning about why heat rises. It rises because atoms push away from each other and become litter. They float while jumping around the room. They make friction and heat. We also learned that there is no cold air. They just measure it in different temperatures of heat. The tool they use a thermometer. The thermometer measures heat not cold.

That is why there is no cold air.We also play a game called stump the teacher. My class won 6 to 4. It was really really FUN=http://! Then we went to our classroom.

THE END