Copyright (c) 2014 by Maddy Stadler Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Maddy Stadler -- Blogmeister

MS's Blog

3H 2010-11

by Maddy Stadler

teacher: Sue Halbert

Title: Maine Lighthouses (10/16/10)
Description: Pick a lighthouse in Maine. Research your lighthouse and then write a descriptive paragraph about it. Create an illustration to accompany your paragraph.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 1379

lighhouse illustrations 001

Did you know that Maine has a lot of lighthouse’s? Owl’s Head is a small Lighthouse in West Penobscot Bay, Maine. The Lighthouse is built on a little hill. A little house was built under the hill. Issac Sturn was the first keeper. Owl’s Head Light is 100 feet above the water. The lighthouse is made out of brick and mortar and the lighthouse is attached to the house. Every keeper was paid $350.000 a year. The light is a Fresnel lens. I liked learning about Owl’s Head Light!

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 93

lighhouse illustrations 003

Have you ever seen a lighthouse connected to a house? Well if you went to Vinalhaven Island and see Brown Head Light you will see a lighthouse connected to a house. Brown Head Light was built in 1832 .Did you know Brown Head Light was 20 feet tall? Brown Head Light foghorn goes on every 10 seconds. Brown Head Light was never rebuilt. The side of the house is white and there are 4 sides of the house. The roof is brown. I like learning about Brown Head Light.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (3) • Reads 506

lighhouse illustrations 004

West Quoddy Head Light is really cool, and it has red and white stripes. It looks like a barber shop pole and is attached to a house. West Quoddy Head Light was built in 1808 and was made of brick. President Jefferson wanted it to be built. West Quoddy Lighthouse was given one of the first fog bells. West Quoddy use to have a fog cannon to warn mariners away from dangerous rocks near the tower. In 1853 it was rebuilt and in 1869 a Daboll trumpet fog whistle was installed in place of the earlier bells. The blast was like a steam locomotive. I had fun learning about West Quoddy Head Light you will too !

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 95

lighhouse illustrations 005

Cape Neddick Light is a lucky lighthouse! NASA chose to take a picture of the Cape Neddick Light on board Voyager II. The lighthouse was built out of cast iron lined with brick in 1879 in York, Maine. The light was never rebuilt and the lantern room is one of the most complete of the Maine lighthouses. Cape Neddick Light is also called Nubble Light. Nubble Light has a light and a foghorn. The light is red for six seconds and black for six seconds. The foghorn blasts once every ten seconds. I enjoyed learning about Cape Neddick Light. I hope you did too.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 304

lighhouse illustrations 006

Did you know Owls Head Lighthouse is built under a hill? It is only 30 feet tall but the rock that it stands on is 100 feet above sea level. No one knows how Owl’s Head got its name. Some say it looks like an owl’s head from the water. The first lighthouse keeper was named Isaac Sterns only made 350 dollars per year. In 1989 they replaced the mirrors with a Fresnel lens. The Owl’s Head Lighthouse is very small and is made out of brick and mortar. This lighthouse is white at the bottom and black at the top with a spiral staircase. Owl’s Head Lighthouse is located west Penobscot, Maine. I enjoyed learning about Owls Head Lighthouse and I hope you did too!

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 98

lighhouse illustrations 007

Did you ever know that lighthouses have nicknames? The nickname for Cape Neddick is Nubble. The Nubble is made out of cast iron lined with brick and is 41 feet tall. A big blizzard washed out the Nubble’s bath house.When you are in a boat on a foggy day you would hear one blast every ten seconds. There were 30 keepers who lived at Cape Neddick. At the Nubble there was an explosion that destroyed the original lens. Cape Neddick is located in York, Maine. The Nubble is all white, but the top is black. Cape Neddick does not look like it is connected to a house but it is. The Neddick is in a little cone. I had fun learning about the Nubble and now I want to go visit.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment (3) • Reads 87

lighhouse illustrations 009

Rockland Breakwater Light is on a breakwater. A breakwater is made out of granite and was built to protect the harbor. This lighthouse cost $30,000 to build. Rockland Breakwater is made of wood and brick. If you saw this lighthouse it would flash every 5 seconds. The height of the lighthouse is 25 feet and it is almost the size of the brick house. Rockland Breakwater Light has two chimneys. One side of the house is made out of wood, and the other side is made out of brick. I enjoyed researching this lighthouse.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:14 AM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 92

lighhouse illustrations 010

Did you now that Brown’s Head Light was built 1832? It was transferred to Vinalhaven Island. It was built with brick. This lighthouse 2 red sectors and the rest were clear. The foghorn blasts every 10 seconds. Someone still lives in the lighthouse. Brown’s Head Light does not look like any of the lighthouse in NJ because the light house is the same height as the house. The price to build Brown’s Head was $4,000.00. I think this is a fun project.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 216

lighhouse illustrations 011

On a small rocky island, off the coast of Maine, is a small white lighthouse called Owl’s Head Light. Owl’s Head is Located in West Penobscot Bay. It enters into Rockland Harbor. The lighthouse was first built in 1825. Then it was automated in 1989. Brick and mortar is what was used to build it. Owl’s Head stands thirty feet high. The characteristic of the light is fixed white. Owl’s Head has a foghorn that sounds every twenty seconds. Issac Sturn was the first keeper and was paid $350.00 per year. Did you know the house was built under a hill? The height of the focal plane is100 feet above water. Also, the main color of the lighthouse is white and since Maine islands seem to be very rocky, it gives lighthouses a boost so lighthouses are built smaller. I think that Owl’s Head Light is a very interesting lighthouse and I hope you think so too!

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 178

lighhouse illustrations 012

Did you know Rockland Breakwater can break water? That means it blocks the harbor. It was built of granite. Granite was added to protect the harbor from the ocean. The cost was 30,000 dollars to build the first lighthouse. They captured lobster near the light house. They made Rockland Breakwater into a museum. Rockland Breakwater looks like a house. I liked learning about Rockland Breakwater Light.

Article posted October 15, 2010 at 12:32 PM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 86

lighhouse illustrations 013

Hi. Have you seen a light house that is red and white striped and looks like a candy cane? I have! It is called West Quoddy Head Light. In 1808 it was built in Lubec, Maine, and it was rebuilt in 1858. It was made out of brick. This light house is 49 feet tall. There are two flashing lights that keep boats away from land. There is a house right next to the lighthouse keeper live .That is all about my light house.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 228

lighhouse illustrations 014

Have you heard of the Owl’s Head Lighthouse? Nobody knows how it got its name but some people think it’s because the land looks like an owl from the water.

Issac Sterns was the first keeper and he only got $350 per year. In 1825 it was built in West Penobscot Bay at the entrance to Rockland Harbor. It is 30 feet high and it’s made of bricks and mortar. This cool lighthouse does have a foghorn signal and light is always shining at night, it does not blink. The light is exactly 100 feet above sea level. A memorable event was when there was a big storm in 1850. Five ships went aground between Rockland Harbor and Spruce Head. If you ever are traveling in Maine, you should check out Owl’s Head Lighthouse.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 164

lighhouse illustrations 015

Cape Neddick’s nickname is Nubble. It’s a lighthouse that tracks boats to where they’re going the lighthouse has a white brick house next to it. The lighthouse tower is cast iron and lined with brick. The lighthouse has a glass light right on the top of it. The fog horn makes one blast every 10 seconds. The building was automated in 1987. This lighthouse is also known as Nubble. There have been about 30 lighthouse keepers at Cape Neddick Lighthouse.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 105

lighhouse illustrations 016

Have you ever wanted to learn about Portland Head light in Cape Elizabeth Maine? If, so it’s your lucky day. Cape Elizabeth Main was built in 1791. Stone with brick lining is what it was built out of. The height of the tower is 80 feet, tall and that’s taller than my house. The lighthouse flash’s white every four seconds. It does have a fog horn. The light house is white and black and kind of looks like a farm. The focal planes height is 101 ft. The government gave the people that made the lighthouse $750.00 and then gave them $1500.00 that adds up to $2250 to build Portland Head Light. Portland Head Light was the first lighthouse on the coast of Maine and the thirteenth on the Atlantic coast. In the 18th century Maine was part of Massachusetts. I really enjoyed exploring lighthouses.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (5) • Reads 76

lighhouse illustrations 017

When you are in Vinalhaven, Maine and it is very foggy outside and every ten seconds you will hear a loud horn blast. That is coming from Brown’s Head Light. In 1832 Brown’s Head was transferred to Vinalhaven. By 1987 it was one of the last lighthouses in Maine to be automated. The lighthouse is on top of a house, and the person who lives in the light house is the town manager. No one is allowed on the property without permission. Brown’s Head Light is made out of bricks. In 1932, it costed $4,000.00 to build this lighthouse. The lighthouse is 20 feet high, and the focal plane 39 feet. That means it shines That was some tips on my lighthouse.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (5) • Reads 121

lighhouse illustrations 018

The Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse is not on an island, it is on a breakwater. A breakwater is a barrier to break the impact of waves to protect the harbor. In 1902 the Rockland Breakwater light was built out of brick and wood. The color of the lighthouse is brown and white. Did you know that the characteristic of the light is that it is flashes white every 5 seconds? Also the lighthouse was never rebuilt. They turned the lighthouse in to a museum. Rockland Breakwater Light is 25 feet tall. The nearest city is Rockland, Maine. It cost $30,000 dollars to build the first lighthouse in 1902. People caught lobsters by the lighthouse. This lighthouse does have a foghorn. A float and ramp were put in the lighthouse in 2003. Did you learn anything about my lighthouse?

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:14 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 87

lighhouse illustrations 019

Between 1881 and 1899 a granite breakwater almost a mile long, was built to help protect the harbor. The Breakwater is attached to the lighthouse called Rockland Breakwater Light. It is made out of brick and wood. The lighthouse is brown and white. Rockland Breakwater has a house attached to it. The fog signal makes one blast every 15 seconds. The light house is 25 feet tall. The lighthouse is brown and white. The keepers trapped lobsters near the lighthouse. If you want to learn more search my lighthouse on bing.com or google.com.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 105

lighhouse illustrations 020

Hi my class is learning about lighthouses. The lighthouse I’m studying is West Quoddy Head Light. Did you know it was rebuilt in 1858? It’s located in Lubec, Maine. The design is red and white stripes. It is connected to a red and white house too! It is built out of bricks. The light house is 49 feet tall. The light shines 83 feet above sea level. I’m having fun learning about lighthouse. I hope you do too.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (3) • Reads 103

lighhouse illustrations 021

Have you ever heard of the Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, Maine? If you haven’t then you came to the right place! This lighthouse was built in 1791 and it wasn’t rebuilt. The Portland Head Light was built out of stone with brick lining. Its height is 80 feet tall. The characteristic of the light is that it flashes white every four seconds. Portland Head Light was the first on the coast of Maine and the thirteenth on the Atlantic coast.

This lighthouse has a foghorn signal and the focal plane is 101 feet. The Portland Head Light is black and white and is a little tall with a great view! It’s also very wide and it looks like a tower of stone with a little tiny house at the very top! Well, that’s most about the Portland Head Light! Maybe you can find out even more! Bye!

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 99

lighhouse illustrations 022

Have you ever heard of Brown’s Head Light? If not then I can tell you all about it. This cool lighthouse was built in 1832 and guess what the lighthouse was transferred. This lighthouse is on a big rocky hill and the lighthouse is attached to the house. Also in 1987 Brown’s Head Light was one of the last lighthouse’s in Maine to be automated. Automated means to have electricity in the light bulb so what I am trying to say is it was the last lighthouse to not have to light the candle for the light. I liked learning about this lighthouse and I hope you do too.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 113

lighhouse illustrations 023

I heard about something new today its west Quoddy Head Light. I want to share with you what that is. That is a light house in Lubec Main. When and was first built 1808. Also my light house was rebuilt in 1858 . Do you know what it is built out of? I do, brick. The height of the light house is 49 feet. The light house light makes 2 white flashes every 15 seconds. The West Quoddy Head Light received one of the nation’s first fog bells in 1820.They tried 4 different fog bells. There salary is $4.10 yearly. West Quddy Head Light is attached to a house. The light house has red and white stripes. . A interesting fact was in the binging of the light house is fat but as you go up it gets skinner to the top. That is all about West Quoddy Head Light.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:14 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 96

lighhouse illustrations 002

They build a lighthouse because the boats would crash on land. The lighthouse I am writing about is Portland Head Light. My lighthouse is located in Cape Elizabeth, Maine and was built in 1791. The lighthouse was not rebuilt and was made out of stone with a brick lining. The height is 80 feet tall, and the light flashes every four seconds. The lighthouse has a foghorn. The focal plane’s height is 101 ft. The government gave the people who were building the lighthouse $750 and $1500 more which equals $2,250. Portland Head Light was the first lighthouse on the coast of Maine and the thirteenth on the Atlantic coast .In the 18th century Maine was part of Massachusetts. I had fun writing about lighthouses.

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (3) • Reads 92

lighhouse illustrations 008

Have you heard of Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, Maine? Portland Head Light is made out of stone with brick lining. It was never rebuilt and built in 1791.The government gave the people that made the lighthouse $750 and then gave them $1500 more, which equals $2250 dollars for the lighthouse to be built. Portland Head Light was the first lighthouse on the coast of Maine and the thirteenth on the Atlantic coast. Also in the 18th century Maine was part of Massachusetts. The Portland Head Light is white, red, and has black doors and windows. The Portland Head Light has a house attached right next to it. I had fun learning about Portland Head Light. I hope by reading this paragraph you had fun too!

I am a 3rd grader at Tatem School. I’m 9 years old. I like riding my scooter, biking, and playing with my friends. Here are the sports I like to play soccer, softball, kickball, and basketball. I like being in 3rd grade.