TennisChamp

Welcome to our 4th grade class! We love receiving comments. Please, if you wish to comment, leave a URL or e-mail address so we can respond back to you.

teacher: Denton Dynamos

Article posted June 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM GMT • comment • Reads 113

color:blue">        Fifth grade has been an adventure. Fifth grade is just a whole new world. Being the oldest kids in school, being more mature, and helping the younger ones. I think this has been a great year!                          

color:blue">        Growing up is a big part of fifth grade. Personally I think I have gotten taller. I think the growth has been in the middle of fifth grade. When I see a difference, that’s the time I know that there is a big change. Learning is very important in fifth grade. I think learning in fifth grade has changed. Harder subjects, harder reading levels and tougher expectations. I learned much about myself pass this year. When I get tested for reading, I usually move up only one level, but this year was different. I moved up 2 or 3 levels in one time`. I could see the difference from 2nd grade and 5th grade. It has been amazing!  

color:blue">        My goals are another big part of fifth grade. I have one new goal that I have been trying to succeed. I am a level V in reading and my goal was to be a level X. A goal that I am still working on is do better in mental math. Another goal I am still doing is to work better in groups. I have some summer goals as well. I want to finish reading all the Series of Unfortunate events. I and my friend are going to read the books together. “Want to Series of Unfortunate events together in the summer?” “Sure!” My friend said. We made plans and I can’t wait! There are some places that I really want to visit! One place is London. I will be visiting it the summer. I also can’t wait to see the Caribbean! I will also be visiting it in the summer on a cruise. I really want to spend some time with my uncle that lives in London. I have never met him and I really look forward to it! This will help me in the summer because meeting new people (my uncle) will give me some practice in how I am going to do it with new people in sixth grade.  

color:blue">        Fifth grade is been extraordinary. I couldn’t ask for a better year. The year now is coming to an end. Which means, leaving friends, leaving teachers, and most important, leaving the school that we have been growing up in. Now sixth grade is coming toward us. Denton is traveling farther and farther away. Now it is time to enter the life of sixth grade……        

color:blue">                          Goodbye Denton                                                                                                                                

Botanical Gardens

Botanical Gardens was one of the fascinating gardens I have every seen! The beautiful life that lives in the trees and the plants, the amazing waterfall, and the flowers.

One awesome fact that I learned was, what trees do to gain sunshine. We saw a tree that was bent over and it was taking the sunlight of a tree that had been cut down. I never knew trees could do such a thing! It was amazing. I also learned from this was that the trees moved very slowly to get that sunshine. It didn't happen very quick. The way the tree was bent was very Marvelous! I thought the tree would fall because it is so bent. It was a very strong tree and it had been in that position for many years.

Another fact that I learned was, that Poison Ivy has 3 leaves. I just thought it was the one that had holes in it! Well that turned out not to be! When I was there looking at poison ivy, I could see they difference between a normal plant and poison ivy. It is a very interesting fact. I also wondered what makes poison Ivy have 3 leaves. Why not more or less?  It is important to make out the difference between poison ivy. Might help you in the future! I know not ever to touch a three leaved plant!

The never touched garden and New York city, is two different worlds. The city and the garden both are different. The garden has plants that you would never find in the city. The garden doesn't have any waste, meanwhile city, well don’t even get me started. One of the most important one is, that the ground of the garden is pure soil. The city doesn't have that. They both have their ups and their downs.

I really enjoyed being outside and seeing all the different types of plants and trees. Though it is a long walk, it’s all worth seeing. Now that you know how its like, do you really want to miss it?

This piece of art is called, The South Ledges, Appledore. Childe Hassam painted this picture in the year of, 1935. I picked this photo because I could see the emotion that builds up when you take a first glance at this photo. One of the main reasons I picked it was because there is a lady in the picture. Childe Hassam didn’t have to put the lady but she did. I think the reason for that is to give more attention to this piece.

The emphasis of this painting is the lady with the hat. I am thinking the hat is what stands out a lot because the dress blends in with the rocks. The hat is brighter than the dress. I don’t think Childe Hassam wanted a pattern in this picture. Another thing I don’t see is exact shapes. I don’t think paintings should have exact shapes and Childe Hassam dealt with that very well. Childe Hassam did put shapes. Such as the water, the ocean is in the shape of a triangle but it is hard to notice.

When I saw this picture I saw with my senses. Such as, with looks, I can see a lady sitting beside the rocks. She might be lonely, sad, or just relaxing. When I look at this I feel sad or the lady needs some kind of help. I can see a boat that is also passing by in the background. If I was that lady I would be able smell the ocean breeze. The sound that I hear is the waves of the ocean that crash onto the rocks. A pleasant wave that comes across the sea and fades smoothly could be heard as well. I would also be able to taste the mist in the air.

You should see this picture and it will truly touch your heart. Especially when you see it in person, when you are at the Smithsonian American Art Museum! Be sure to visit the website! 

http://americanart.si.edu/

Arusha     

Article posted April 15, 2011 at 12:34 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 493

Whats better? Using A laptop to type a essay or writing the essay by hand? Looks like a laptop will take less time. I like technology better. With technology, you can do your homework in a easier way, Chat with people across the world (How cool is that!), and you can print essays, stories, etc.

Using technology can be easy! You should use it because it will save your time and work. When you have so much work backed up and you have to write a essay for school, instead of using a hour to write it, TYPE IT! It takes 20 minutes! You can safe 40 minutes of precious time! When it comes to technology, the laptop is the best help. Technology is amazing when it comes to chatting with people across the world. Amazing right? So when your family is in Japan and you’re in California, you can see your families faces instantly. Talk all you want with them. I told you it was amazing. It can’t get better than that!

A lot of people get carried away by using too much technology. Too much technology is not so good for you but there are solutions to all these problems. Instead of getting carried away with the technology, you can pace yourself. You don’t have to do it all the time. Take a few brakes. Then technology won’t ever be a problem for you. I know that technology is fun but is it fun to do too much of it? All you have do is not so much of it. I mean really. It can’t harm you if you don’t do so much.

Technology can be helpful in so many ways. I love using technology. It helps me in school, at home, and anywhere! Did you realize how important technology is now?

We all know about what happened in Japan and we can all help. With every one's help, we can change Japan’s living. Instead of saying “Why should I help?” Ask, “Why not?”

That tsunami shook us all. Just imagine the people in Japan. The tsunami hit near many places. The people that didn’t live near the tsunami were very lucky. This disaster caused a lot of damage and it killed hundreds of people. The wave of the tsunami that was coming toward the people was 30 feet high. Do you know how tall that is?

Before the tsunami, there was a earthquake. The earthquake was not a severe as the tsunami. The people on Japan were used to the earthquakes since there are a lot that happen in Japan. The earthquake caused the tsunami and the earthquake hit the ocean floor. The earthquake was 8.9 magnitude! That was the strongest earthquake in Japan history! The earth quake lasted for 4 minutes! A normal earthquake would last for seconds but this earthquake wasn’t just any normal earthquake! The earthquake and the tsunami caused Japan to move 8 feet toward the U.S! Something that happened in Japan was the Nuclear plant.The nuclear plant got damaged by the tsunami and the air is leaking. The nuclear air is NOT good for Japan. Some people of Japan might just end up with cancer and in the next 3 or 4 generations, the people that are going to be born will have a disadvantage. Such as being blind or deaf.

Everyone can join and change Japan. Now they need our help. If this was us, wouldn’t we want all the help we can get?

Think about it........

How Sixth Grade will be like?

So, what is sixth grade? Finally getting to do what ever you want? Running around places? Joining all the clubs? Messing around? What is it?

I think people think of it as a joke. When we get out of fifth grade and are ready to enter the life of a sixth grader, people think, “Oh well you know, sixth grade, get to do what ever we want!” or, “Sixth grades a place where we don’t have to to listen to anyone.” People say that but whats so special about sixth grade? Sixth grade is just like any other grades. The reason people think sixth grade is a joke is because sixth grade is in a different school or you get to walk in the halls but who cares if you can walk in the hallways, you can do that in elementary school too right? People also think sixth grade is so special because we have lockers, half the people don’t even know that we DON’T have lockers and we get them only in seventh grade. So nothing special, nope, nothing. The people that have been dreaming to go sixth grade, will mostly hate it because they don’t get what they want.

I don’t see any difference from my school and sixth grade. Do you? I love the way my school is right now and I who says I want to change it? Who says I want to go sixth grade? Who says?

Article posted March 25, 2011 at 01:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 76

In social studies me and my group had been doing a great deal of work! Sometimes the work is easy and challenging. But all of us just love having a great time! Most of our work is on the computer. Well, not most of it, ALL OF IT! The point is, that we are learning all that we can about Daniel Boone!

I am part of the Daniel Boone group. Never heard of him? Well he was the person that made Kentucky a official state! Recognize him now? Daniel Boone was a woodsman.  He lead a group of 20 families to Kentucky that wanted to live on new land. There were tough times on the way such as, getting attacked, and even some deaths. They had to go through the wilderness road. Finally when everyone reached and got settled. Daniel wanted Kentucky to be a state so he brought 200 hundred more men! The government made Kentucky a state! The power of Daniel Boone is a great leadership example!

Our group did a lot of research. We had many different websites to choose from to get our information. I did my research by by looking up Daniel Boone on Google. There were some websites that really helped. The websites I needed,  I linked it to our Google Documents. What I usually did was search Daniel Boone. Some websites didn’t give us the information we needed. Not only there were websites but there were books too. Most books didn’t have what we needed. The books were really no help. Through all the research I did, the best website on the Internet was,(DRUM ROLL PLEASE.....)danielboonefacts.com. The website gave a nice amount of information and it said a lot about his life and the wilderness road. The wordings were not hard to understand and was perfect for a kid like me to see and read! If your ever going to learn about Daniel Boone, be sure to give this website a visit.

The topic Daniel Boone has to do with the expansion of the United States because he made Kentucky a official state. This is part of the expansion of the United States because, a new state was added to the U.S which expanded in the west side. First Kentucky was one of the many ordinary lands and there were not many states. Untied States changed because of Daniel Boone.

Although many people don’t know who Daniel Boone is, but he is a very important person in our history. Daniel Boone changed the United States!

Arusha

Article posted March 12, 2011 at 12:50 AM GMT • comment (8) • Reads 48

My Poconos Trip

Me and my family went to Poconos for the weekend and it was a blast! We went ice skating, to the pool, the arcade and went sight seeing!  Our family wasn’t the only family that was there. There was a family friend of my dad’s. Not a lot of people know of the place but it’s called Skytop Lodge. The place is on a mountain and it breath taking!

My favorite thing, me and my friend did was ice skating. We weren’t that good and wouldn’t take our hands off the wall! After a while we got the hang of it and were ice walking, not ice skating. We weren’t good enough to ice skate. We fell very often, but that’s how you learn, right? Ice skating can be a tough sport, trust me, I know. There wasn’t just ice skating, there was a lounge that where you could drink hot cocoa. Sometimes it doesn't take a long time to learn hot to ice skate but for me and  my friend it takes forever. I really enjoyed ice skating!

I loved going to the arcade with my friends. We played ping pong, Dance Dance Revolution, Pac Man, racing, mini golf and me and my friend even took pictures in the photo booth! The best part was that we were by our self! Of course our parents were near but just not with us. We spent half the trip in the arcade playing. Our parents had given us the money and we converted that money into change. The point is that we had the best time ever!

The last thing I did in Poconos was going to the pool. I LOVE going to the pool! Whenever I go to a hotel or resort, I always go to the pool! Me and my friend went to the pool five times in a three day trip. The pool in the hotel was HUGE! It went to 9 and a half feet! I never went to a pool that went that long. I swam up to seven feet, and was to scared to go in 9 feet while my friend was in 5 feet. I made laps but didn’t go to the end. I had a friend that was younger than me. She was about 6 years old. We were teaching her how to swim. That was really fun because I never taught anyone how to swim.

Going to Poconos and doing all the activities, was a real experience. I was having the best time of my life. I look forward going there again.

Article posted March 11, 2011 at 01:19 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 132

"Times New Roman";color:#134F5C">                                                          March, 10, 2011

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#134F5C"> 

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#134F5C">Dear Alex,

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#134F5C">Hi Alex, You had asked me some questions in a letter that Mr. Crosby gave me. I just wanted to say that it was really cool to see Mr. Crosby in our classroom! It was really fun! The questions were mostly about the things I like.  

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#134F5C">One of the questions that you asked me was, “What place have you been to?” I have been to a lot of places and one of my favorite places I had been to was California, Universal Studios. I really enjoyed that trip and I had a lot of fun. I love how California is and also how different it is from the other places I have been to. I really had a great time there.

color:black">

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#134F5C">The second question that you asked me was, “What’s your favorite car and car color?” As a family we have 2 cars. The cars are a Toyota Corolla and a MDX. My favorite car is the MDX. I don’t just like that car because it is the car that our family owns but I like it because of its features, like, that I can charge my IPod or, that I can connect the phone with the car and it can be loud speaker but the best part is the sunroof. I always wanted a car with a sunroof! My favorite color for a car is, Silvery-Gray. I love it because it’s really shiny.

"Times New Roman";color:black">

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#134F5C">The third question that you asked me was, “What is your favorite book?” My favorite book was “Alice in Blunderland” You might be thinking that the name of the book is strange, but when you read it you are going to love it! The book is about a child who is trying to live with her annoying brother and her father. Alice (the main character) doesn't have a mother and she has to live with everyone making fun of her name. That was a very interesting book to me.

"Times New Roman";color:black">

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#134F5C">       The last question was, “What’s your favorite subject?” I really like doing free writing and in that I can write about anything I want to. Writing helps me in expressing myself better. Sometimes writing can be hard and frustrating. You have to do a lot of things right and if you don’t, you have to start over. Most the times you have to start over, but when you finally write a story that you like, it feels like you completed a book. After all the work, it really feels great.

"Times New Roman";color:black">

Thank you, Alex, for asking these questions! My answers might be the same as yours! I hope to be communicating with you!

Sincerely,

Arusha 

Article posted February 18, 2011 at 12:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 86

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I read the book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,  by C.S. Lewis, and I also saw the movie. There were lot of similarities and differences through out the book and the movie.

One of the differences is that, I think the book didn’t show as much feeling about Lucy liking Mr. Tumnus as much in the movie.  Lucy’s Character cared so much for him in the movie. It was very clear to see how different the character traits were between the book and the movie. I think this because I saw more emotions in the movie and not much in the book. A small example of this is, that in the book Lucy didn’t show much feeling and when I saw the movie at that same part, I felt how Lucy was feeling about Mr. Tumnus.

Another difference of the character traits are, that the fox was brave enough to fight the wolves and save Susan and Lucy. In the book, the fox was not even mentioned. The movie had shown the fox and it fought the wolves. When I was watching the movie, it showed how the wolves were trying to kill the fox but still after getting hurt the fox kept fighting for Susan and Lucy. This showed how brave the fox was in the movie.

The last difference is, in the book, the White Witch made the fox into stone when she heard that her powers were going down and Christmas was coming. In the movie, the White Witch did not do that when she found out that her powers were going down. The White Witch was cruel and in the book she was not as cruel as in the movie.

Now that the differences are there, lets go on to the similarities. I saw more similarities between the movie and the book.

A similarity between the book and the movie was, that Edmond is a impolite person to all his family members. His character trait is alike in the movie and in the book. The trait stays the same.  A small example is that, when Edmond had gone to Narnia but when he came back he pretended he was never there. He was very impolite to Lucy. He said and I quote, “ Oh, yes, Lucy and I have been playing-pretending that all her story about a country in the wardrobe is true. Just for fun, of course. There’s nothing there really.” That example shows that Edmond’s character is the same in the movie and in the book.

A similarity is, Mr. Tumnus’s character trait. The movie showed Mr. Tumnus very nice at first to Lucy but turned out that he was supposed to kidnap her but couldn’t. Mr. Tumnus had orders from the White Witch. Mr. Tumnus helped Lucy find her way out of Narnia like in the book and in the movie. A quote from the book that Mr. Tumnus said is, “ Taken service from the White Witch. That’s what I am. I am in pay of the White Witch.” The same thing happened in the movie. This is one of the similarities.

The last similarity was, that Edmond deceived his brothers and sisters and went on the White Witch’s side. He left his brothers and sisters thinking he would become king. A example of this is when Edmond came back to Narnia, all he was thinking was being king and all that Turkish Delight. He was looking for the two hills to see where the Witch’s House was.

This story has many things that makes it great. It had AID ( Action, Internal thinking, and Dialog). It has all these details and the character traits are one of the best. I enjoyed both!