Copyright (c) 2014 by Marissa Townley Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Marissa Townley -- Blogmeister

Kinder Kids-

We are a kindergarten classroom in Saskatchewan, Canada. We will go on many adventures this year to learn about animals, weather, the Earth and much more!

by Marissa Townley

No Links added yet!

As a class we made an animal alphabet book.  Each child contributed one or two pages to our book that they wrote and illustrated.  This was a great way to end off the year incorporating all we've learned about our letters, and what we have begun learning about writing sentences.  Everyone did a great job and the book is now published and a part of our classroom library. 

At the end of every school year, our school has a play day.  On this day students k-3 are split into groups and move around to different stations that have different activities.  With the threat of rain we had to stay indoors this year but it was still a bunch of fun.  Our Circus theme had ten stations: Dinobouncer, parachute, face painting, super dog circuit challenge, target shooting, juggling, bean bag toss, tight rope walking, circus art and musical chairs.  It was a great way to end our week.

After an incident last year with some students wanting to splatter paint in the classroom, I decided this year I would teach the kindergartens how to splatter paint properly... outside!!  Even though the wind was pretty strong and threatened to take our paper away the kids had a blast being able to make as big of a mess as they wanted!

Since we were learning about animals (more specifically reptiles) one of the students brought his pet geckos to share with the class.  We got to pet them and hold them and feel what a reptiles scales actually feel like.  It was funny to watch them try to get to the highest place possible.  Even on our heads!

At the end of May we were joined by 25 caterpillars.  Each student got their own caterpillar to take care of and help through the stages of its life cycle.  We watched as they built their chrysallis and hatched into butterflies.  Soon they will be ready to release out into the world!

After we completed our talk on plants, we made flowers to show what we had learned.  We needed soil (cookie crumbs), a seed, roots (string), stem, leaves and a flower.  Each student got to pick the materials they wanted to use to create their own flower.  The pictures turned out great!

To help us learn a little more about living things, we planted sunflower seeds to watch them grow.  Most of our seeds we planted in pots but we planted 4 in a special way so we could see the roots and everything as they grew.  First we put a kleenix inside the cup right up against the side.  Then we put soil in the middle.  Lastly we put the seed inbetween the kleenix and the cup.  We got to see the roots as soon as they began poking out of the seed and the stem before it reached the top of the soil.  It was very cool to see!

Earth Day was an exciting day in the kindergarten classroom.  We learned different ways of taking care of the planet and we also learned a new way of recycling: making our own paper.  The day before we ripped up a bunch of old used paper.  Then on the day we put that paper in a blender with water and blended it into mush.  Then we took our strainers and drained the water and squished the paper nice and flat.  Once they were dry we drew pictures on them and took them home. 

To help celebrate Easter we made Easter baskets, suncatcher crosses and decorated Easter eggs.  We also learned that Jesus died on the cross to save us and then he rose from the dead and went to heaven.   

On St. Patrick's day we had a visit from some tricky little guys.  They hid gold coins around our classroom and played many tricks.  We found shoes all over the classroom, things were upside down and they left tell-tale foot prints all over the place!

Reporters