Copyright (c) 2014 by Ellen Lucy Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Ellen Lucy -- Blogmeister

Live, Love, and Learn!!!!!-

Grade 3

Welcome to the world of blogging! This is going to be fun as we share with others the great things we are doing in 3rd grade.

by Ellen Lucy

No Links added yet!

Article posted December 16, 2011 at 02:15 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 400

Article posted December 16, 2011 at 02:14 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 67

We are off to a running start in this new year in third grade.  We have written a story about how Irene impacted our lives, we have written a personal narrative, and are working on a biography.  I always learn from my students! Did you know that Thomas Edison once served food on a train? In reading, we have read realistic fiction and also some non-fiction pieces. Math is in the afternoon where we measure and have learned different ways to add and subtract.  What a wonderful group of kids I have=http://=http://

How lucky all of the invisible people were today.  They were taking a tour around our state in the beautiful spring weather.  Even threatening thunderstorms could not stop them from taking a trip. They climbed aboard the winged trailer truck one by one.  They sat on invisible benches next to each other. There were so many of them - at least fifty six or fifty seven.  Old, young, tall, short, happy or sad - they all sat side by side.  What were they doing on this tour? Well, because it was so nice out - they decided to bring along their musical instruments.  Drums, trumpets, saxophones, clarinets, guitars, flutes, trombones, and violins were all being played by fun-loving musicians.  The songs they played were familiar to all. They played "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star,"  This Land is Your Land," and even "Jingle Bells."  One could hear their glorious melodies all over the place! What? You couldn't hear them? Even when they went by you? Well of course not - that is because the music was invisible too!

"Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days" is a wonderful book that we read in class. It follows the life of Milo who reads a book on how to be perfect - in just three days. He would love to be perfect because then he would not make any mistakes and he would always do what was right. Imagine never needing to use an eraser or never dropping anything on the floor. It would be great!

So, he gets a book out of the library. This book is written by an eccentric Doctor named Dr. Silverfish. He is not an ordinary doctor - he dresses in crazy outfits and lets mustard dribble down his chin (sounds fun to me!!!) Dr. Silverfish warns him not to skip to the end of the book - but of course Milo does. He finally goes back and starts over. The first day he is supposed to wear a stalk of broccoli around his neck! Although he is teased and a bully tries to take the broccoli away - Milo will not let him. So, he learns to be fearless and stand up for himself.

On the second day, he is supposed to not eat or drink anything except water for 24 hours. That is really really hard and Milo's stomach growls all the time in school. But he does it and from this he learns - willpower!

The third day comes and Milo wonders what he is going to be asked to do NOW! The good doctor tells him to do nothing. Not a thing. Just breathe, go to the bathroom, and sip weak tea. Because his dad had read ahead in the book, he brings him some weak tea. What a supportive dad! Milo tries to stay awake but unfortunately he falls asleep. He fails. He is not perfect.

He opens the book and the doctor congratulates him because he does not think it is a good idea to be perfect at all! Life is more fun when you make mistakes, can laugh at yourself and realize everything is never going to be perfect.

Milo learns a great lesson in this book - no one is perfect!

Mrs. Lucy's Fifth Grade Class
Mrs. Lucy's Third Grade Class

Grade 3