The Stuff!-

Ideas, thoughts, creative writings, or classroom Meanderings!

by teacher: Rob Jacklin
Bacteria and Viruses 03/10/11
Supreme Court Virtual Tour 03/03/11
iCivics 02/23/11
Chicks and Chickens 02/17/11
CES 01/10/11
Poems 10/14/10
Business Email 10/13/10
Wow 09/20/10
2nd Life 05/16/10
Stroke Glog 04/27/10

In technology, we were supposed to compare and contrast three Power Points about Bacteria and Viruses, that we found searching “filetype:ppt”.  

The first one was pretty basic in telling the audience about bacteria.  About their structure, bacteria kingdoms, their shapes and how they move.  It also talked about how they obtain their energy.  There was a visual to go along with this which would be good for visual people to learn.  It also had visuals for other things that are more fun than reading things off a screen, so that was good.  It did not change its background which in my opinion makes for a better presentation. However, it did have its negative points.  Though there were visuals, some of them were a little confusing.  Also, it had a slide about HIV, which was confusing because they kept saying "T cells" which I think they should have explained.

The second Power Point was not good at all.  I did not think anyone could learn well from that presentation. There was a slide which was very confusing; it just had a picture and the words: Escherichia Coli Bacterium.  Also, some of the visuals were confusing and hard to read.  On a lot of the slides, there were things that I thought needed explaining, which couldn't be good for learning if you don't know what they mean.  Also, they broke up sentences into bullet points, which was just not good presentation formatting in my opinion.    However, some slides were more informative than others. 

The third one I looked at looked like a lesson plan for teachers.  It had good information about things like the parts of a virus, but these parts were short.  It also talked about different diseases that viruses can give you and included information about a cycle viruses use to dominate a host cell.  I only saw information about viruses, so it would not do a good job about educating someone about bacteria.   

I came to the conclusion that the first Power Point would be the best to tell the basics about viruses and bacteria.  I came to this conclusion by looking at the format, it did not change the background at all which was good, and also it explained things that had been on previous slides.  It had good information about the topic.  The second one had some good information, such as explaining what a virus was, but had many other negative qualities about it.  Some parts of the graphs were unclear or even cut off, which would not be a good visual if you can't read it.  The third one had good basic information, but the information was short and would not have been very good at teaching considering it was a lesson plan.  The first one had good information, good format and was easiest to learn from.

Here is a link to the best Power Point:

docs.google.com/viewer

Here is a picture of a bacteria dividing by  AJC1:  

In technology we were able to take a virtual tour of the Supreme Court.  I think that they hold important cases there based on he large courtroom there.  I also think that the judges meet in the Justice Conference Room.  I think this because of the name and the nine chairs in the room.  .

The architecture of the Supreme Court tells me that it is based off old guidelines.

The statues told me that they ruled with fairness and justice and thought the laws should be enforced.

In the office of Stephen G. Breyer there were many books that suggested that he did research, there was also a cart with wheels that had books on it that suggested that he does extensive research by requesting books.  Also, there were chairs that suggested he had visitors, or advisors that help him.  Here is the link to the virtual tour  www.oyez.org/print/64006

Here is a picture of the Supreme Court by massmatt:

We played these games in technology about the Judicial Branch of our government. I played games called Court Quest and Argument Wars. Argument Wars was okay. I thought that the best part was choosing my name and character. The other parts were good too, except for this one time that I was stuck on what to do and couldn't click anyhting.  On another day, we played again only I played this game where you made your own law firm.  It was called, "Do I Have a Right?"  I had to decide what kind of lawyer should the person talk to based on his/her problem.  It was fun and made you think about the rights you have according to the Constitution, here is a picture of the game...

Chicks are baby chickens. They need to stay warm when they are very young. One way to do this is by a heat lamp. But when tey grow older, they will need to live in a coop. A typical farm or feed store will sell chicks starting in the spring. There are so many types of chickens as well, my personal favorite is a Buff Orpington. They are yellow, chubby and so cute. Chickens can be used for meat or eggs. Eggs can come in many sizes and colors, from huge brown eggs to little white ones. Egg chickens usually lay consistently for about 2 years. But do not try to butcher and eat them when they stop laying,I have heard that eating them would be like "eating the sole of your shoe." However auctioning them off for anyone else who wants them is not a bad idea.  would reccomend chickens as a pet or just for eggs.   

Yesterday our class watched a video in technology about the Consumer Electronics Show. We had to answer questions about which ones would be best for ministry, which is the "stepping stone" and which could revolutionize our society. I thought that the iTwin would be best for ministry so that two churches could have the same message. I also thought the Verizon Home Monitor and Conontrolling would change our culture most becuase soon we might be able to almost any house hold chore through our T.V. and remote. I thought the Razar Swithch Blade would be the stepping stone because that could lead to other keyboars and gaming devices thta will rearrange themselves for our convenience.

Article posted October 15, 2010 at 02:32 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

~I am from Tori

My best friend

My shoulder to cry on

My someone to laugh with

My secret keeper

My trail riding partner

My joke holder

My fort builder

Trying persimmons together

Exploring together

Adventuring together

There for me

~I am from friends

Madeline since 2nd grade

Carly since 6th

Rachel and Joey since I was 3

Luke since I was younger than that

~I am from my parents

My dad spoils me

My mom spoils me

They both love me

~I am from Fitz’

Seeing it made

Loving the burgers

Tasting the soda

~I am from Catawissa

Farms all around

No town to close

Woods and hills

The breeze smells clean

The water tastes clean

~I am from Dar-e-kreme

One small twist

Cookie dough concrete

Shakes

Skates

~I am from dreaming

Imagining Pursuing

Believing Cherishing

Thinking Creating

Inventing

~I am from horses

Loping up hills

Lucky

Knowing they know me

Star

Feeling the connection

Gidget

Trusting

Poncho

~I am from animals

Paws Pets

Mine Fun!

In technology,we had to email a company or business that we wnted to give feedback to. I gave good feedback to Auntie Anne's Pretzels. I think the best thing I learned was how to make a signature. It was pretty fun emailing them being all professional like and made me feel good in the end. I liked doing it and hope to do something like that in the future, it made me feel like I was heard.

Wow, that summer flew by fast! I am excited to see all my friends though. I hope everyone is having a good time at school. It's been awhle scince I blogged, so I just wanted to say hi. So Hi and Bye!

In technology we watched a video about how people use 2nd Life. As you know it's a game where you meet new people and you actually live a second life. Some people at different offices actually meet on 2nd life and not in real life. They can work totally from home because they do all the talking to their co workers and employees on 2nd life. It's funny because lots of people used to farm and stuff and had to work at home, then factories were invented and they went away. Now we can work at home again! Any way it's wierd that we are losing the ability to communicate because we only do it online.

This was a fun project to do because someone close to me had a stroke and I wanted to learn more a bout them. It was an interesting topic to cover and I hpe you find the information interestint too.