FSJO

by teacher: Rye Alumni

My worst injury happened when I was around 5 years old. I was in an Italian restaurant in New York City. I got up to go to the bathroom with my mom and sister. On the way up the stairs, I tripped and fell face first into a metal flowerpot, it sliced open my lip, and bruised my two front teeth. There was blood every where, and I was crying, "I have band aids!" because there were band aids in my pocket. I got in a car with my dad and uncle, and we drove to the hospital. In the hospital, they held me down and stitched my lip, me screaming the whole time.

Recently, we had Moon rocks in class.

New Hampshire

New England

The United States of America

North America

Western Hemisphere, Northern Hemisphere

Planet Earth

Sun, Sol

Milky Way Galaxy

Local Cluster

Local Super Cluster

Universe

ROCK CYCLE NARRITIVE

I am an igneous rock. I first was magma, then cooled and crystallized. There are two ways that I could have cooled. One way: I was launched from a volcano and cooled on land to become an extrusive igneous rock. But, the way I became an igneous rock is that I cooled underground intruding with older rocks to become what I am now, an intrusive igneous rock. Some examples of my type of rock are: Diorite, Granite, and Gabbro. If I was an extrusive igneous rock, I could be Basalt, Rhyolite, or Andesite.

Now, I become a metamorphic rock, while the extrusive igneous rocks are being worn down outside. They are transported, deposited, and then compacted into the ground, and become sedimentary rocks, while I repeat the cycle of becoming an igneous rock starting with melting.

I am a metamorphic rock. I can either melt or not melt creating minerals, or magma.

There are two categories of metamorphic rock: Foliated metamorphic rocks, and nonfoliated metamorphic rocks. They both receive a certain amount of heat and pressure. Foliated metamorphic rocks have uneven amounts of pressure creating stripes on the rock. Nonfoliated metamorphic rocks like myself, receive low pressures that are even all around, and high temperatures. Examples of nonfoliated metamorphic rocks are: two common rocks: marble, and quartzite coming from metamorphosed limestone and sandstone. Types of foliated metamorphic rock are: slate, schist, gneiss, and phyllite. Gneiss receives the highest temperatures , and slate receives the lowest.

Now I am a sedimentary rock (any type of rock can become sedimentary) nonclastic sedimentary rocks are where fossils are found, they are formed from chemical reactions under the ocean. Examples: conglomerate, breccia, sandstone, shale (Clastic) and gypsum, and limestone (Nonclastic). Clastic sedimentary rocks are very small -mostly clay, and sand.

Article posted April 9, 2010 at 12:57 AM GMT • comment • Reads 59

The Winter Solstice, Summer Solstice, Spring Equinox, and Fall Equinox are the changes of the Seasons. For example: if I said it was Spring Equinox, it would be the first day of spring.

During summer, in the Northern Hemisphere, the sun is pointed at the Tropic of Cancer:

During winter in the Northern Hemisphere, the sun is pointed at the Tropic of Capricorn:

During spring and fall in the Northern Hemisphere, the sun is focused on the Equator, causing the days to be the same length, because the sun goes in a perfect circle around the Earth. Fall: eastern hemisphere, Spring: western hemisphere.

AFRICA PROJECT

Science: in science, I made my poster on the Giant African Bullfrog; they are cannibals! Giant African Bullfrogs live in southern Africa; their scientific name is Pyxicephalus adspersus. They can eat animals bigger than they are.

Technology Education: I made an M'bira, or thumb piano of wood and plumbers snake. It makes a bell sound when you pluck the wires. My teacher gave me a paper to show where the different size pieces of wood go, so it’ll be hollow.

Art: I made a whistle out of clay, mine's smaller than the others. We are going to paint them soon.

Social Studies: I learned about Mauritius and Egypt. We did research on the countries, so that we could pretend to go there. We wrote journal entries as if we were actually going there. I also made a brochure advertising fun things in those countries, and drew maps of them.

Language Arts: I wrote Folktale. Mine is a myth about why Giant African Bullfrogs are cannibals. The main character's name is Bully.

Math: I am making an African pattern that you can interact with. We learned how to write checks with the expenses from the Social Studies “trip”.

Music: The class is making instruments, and I chose to make a flute. The flutes are made of bamboo that our teacher brought in for us. The other choices to make were: round drums (cardboard), square drums (wood), maracas (paper mache) and shakeras (dried gourds).