cjka-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

This is my end of the year animoto.

Article posted June 16, 2011 at 02:43 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 81

The design for my Antarctica flag was based on the designs of the many flags from different countries that have bases in Antarctica. The center of the flag was a mix of the different centers of flags. The sun was from Argentina, the wheel was from India and the big red dot and stars was from China. The Y shape was from South Africa, the cross was from England and Australia. I chose the colors based on the colors of the flags. These are the reasons why I made my Antarctica flag the way I made it.

In Language Arts we learned some Greek and Latin word parts. Then in flex class we made pictures to show the meanings of them. The word part that I drew a picture for was Nat which means born.

In Art class we made digital pictures using photoshop. We took pictures of ourselves in different positions and of different places where we might want to "hide". Then we chose our favorite hiding spot and uploaded it to photoshop. We then cut out ourselves and pasted them on the background. We used different techniques to make it look like we were actually in the picture. It was a very fun project.

You can enter the text of your blog here!

In Science class we are studying the different parts of the eye and what they do. Did you know that your eye is closed about a half an hour each day just from blinking!? And that the iris is named for the Greek goddess of the rainbow? This is a picture of my eye and some of the main parts of it that you can see.There are many more important parts like the lens and the retina  but you can't see them because they are in your eye.   

Living in space is very different than living here on Earth. The biggest difference is that there is no gravity. Imagine living in a spacecraft for several days without gravity. You wouldn't be able to sleep normally, exercise normally, shower normally, or eat normally. I would personally love to go into space where there was no gravity. You would just be able to float around. It would be very fun

There are a lot of different choices of things to eat. Things like brownies and fruit can be eaten in their natural form. Things like macaroni and cheese and spaghetti you have to add water to, so you can eat them. If you want to add salt and pepper to your meal you have to eat it in liquid form. The drinks that the astronauts can choose range from coffee, tea, orange juice, fruit punch, and lemonade. There are several different food choices for an astronaut such as nuts, fruit, chicken, beef, candy, seafood, and brownies etc.

Astronauts wear different clothes for the different things that they do in space. What they wear depends on what will protect them and keep them comfortable. Astronauts change close less often than we do because there is no way for them to wash their clothes in space. But they don’t get as dirty in space as we do so there isn’t such a big need to change their clothes. They change their underwear and socks every other day and they change the shirt they wear under their work shirt every ten days. They get one pair of shorts and one shirt for every three days of exercising. Most of the dirty clothing burns up as the shuttle reenters the earth’s atmosphere.

When it comes to sleeping astronauts can sleep in any orientation but they need to attach themselves to a wall, a bunk bed, or a seat so they don’t float around and bump into something. There are only four bunks so the fifth and or sixth astronauts have to sleep in a sleeping bag attached to the wall or a chair. On the space station there are only two crew cabins so the third crewmember can sleep anywhere he or she want if it is okay with the commander.

That is what its like to eat, sleep, and what you wear in space. I would love to go into space! It would be so fun to weigh nothing and be able to float around. I would also like to be one of those people that go outside of the space shuttle or space station and work on something in space. That would be really amazing!

When Mr. Gianforte came to our school to talk about the planets I learned a lot. It was very interesting. Space is very complicated and I wish we knew more about it. Listening to Mr. Gianforte I learned many things. One was how astronauts find planets. One way is that they watch the pattern of a stars light and if there are small breaks in it occasionally than they know that there is a planet revolving around it. Planets that aren’t in our solar system are called exoplanets. I think it is amazing that astronomers can find a planet that is millions of miles away. He also taught us about the stars and the universe. He taught us that the universe is always expanding but it does end eventually. I wish astronomers knew what was beyond the universe, because I want to know what is out there. He also told us that there are billions of stars in our universe. I want to know where all of the stars came from. Space is a very amazing subject that we know a lot about but there is so much out there that we don’t know yet. That is what would make me want to be an astronomer. I think space is so fascinating and I am really glad Mr. Gianforte came in to talk to us.

Dear Mom and Dad,

We just finished off Module one in our Math textbooks. There were a lot of things to learn. We learned about the order of operations, probability, frequency tables, and much, much more!

The first thing we learned about was Graphs. We did a lot of work with interpreting graphs. We did several pages in the book where we had to answer questions based on a graph. We also learned when to use a line graph and when to use a bar graph. You use a line graph to show changes over time and you use a bar graph when you are putting things into categories. We even took a take home quiz where we had to answer several questions using a graph we found in the news paper.

Next we learned about number tricks and patterns. The number tricks were really fun and it was amazing that they worked. I even made my own. We used algebra and shapes to figure out how they worked each time. The patterns were kind of tricky. Some of them were really easy to figure out the but others I couldn't find it on my own. To find the nth term we used algebraic equations like T= 5N. It was really fun.

The next thing we did was frequency tables. We used several sets of data and created a table with it. After frequency tables came exponents. I think exponents are really fun but it sometimes gets annoying how you have keep multiplying large numbers. We used exponents to find the volume of a cube and we used them in the order of operations.

The next thing we did was Probability. We did an experiment about probability where we got a partner and picked something out of a bag. My partner and I did jolly ranchers and we called pour experiment jolly pickings. We also did a lottery where our Math teacher put our names in a bag and picked them out. The first and last person picked won 10 math points and the second and the second to last person picked won 5 math points. Everyone else won nothing.

The last thing we did was order of operations. Order of operations is by far my favorite thing we did. It is very easy for me. I like how there are a lot of steps. We did a lot of order of operations problems and we were all so good at it that we had the test on it in the same week that we learned about it. This is what we did in Module one. Sincerely,

CJKA