AJJA

by teacher: Rye Alumni

In Language Arts, I made a drawing to show the definition of the greek word part loc.

In art class we started working with adobe photoshop. For our first project we took a picture of somewhere in the art room and then a picture of ourself. We made the picture of the artroom as the background and then cropped ourself into the artroom. We called this project hiding in the artroom.

Here is a venn diagram comparing meteors, Comets, and Asteroids.

Have you ever dreamed of going into space? Do you ever wonder what living in space would be like, how would you brush your teeth, bathe, or go to the bathroom. What would you where, what would you do for work, how would you sleep. In this essay I will teach you all of these interesting things, some might be disturbing, other things might sound fun. Here we go into space “the final frontier.” In space you live on the space shuttle, the shuttle ha 2 cabins for the crew, these cabins are where the crew sleeps, eats, exercises, and keeps up with their personal hygiene. When you are in space you are weightless, so everything you do is done while you are floating around, with the exception of sleeping. While sleeping you are always strapped to something so you don't float into something while you're asleep. Sometimes you are strapped to a bunk other times you are just strapped to the wall. You may wonder what you can eat and how you eat when there is no gravity. Food in space has really come a long way, at first it was dehydrated food in packages and squeezable food in tubes. Now astronauts are able to eat many things such as brownies, fruit, steak, shrimp cocktail, chicken, and many other foods. These foods can be eaten in their normal form. All of the astronauts trash has to be put in a special trash compacter. The crew has 3 meals a day breakfast, lunch,and dinner. The international space station has an oven to heat food to the right temperature, but they don't have a refrigerator so food is preserved in other ways. How do astronauts stay clean in space? They do it in similar way as on earth, they still brush their teeth, comb their hair, bathe, and go to the bathroom. Astronauts brush their teeth and comb their hair the same way they do on earth except they are strapped to a chair. To wash their bodies they use shampoo that requires no water and doesn't need to be rinsed. If you were to walk, well float, into he shuttles bathroom it would look more like a laboratory than a bathroom. There is a rather long process to go to the bathroom, you have to strap yourself down, position yourself, and you know “go”. The toilet works like a vacuum so human waste isn't floating about the shuttle. So, after reading this little essay would you like to be an astronaut? For some who have always dreamed of being an astronaut this information doesn't change their mind, but for others having to live in space would be torture. Personally I wouldn't want to live in space, sure I would love the whole zero gravity thing for a little, but after a while I would get sick of it. I hope you enjoyed this informational essay and learned a little something about space life!

The Big Bad Bunny

“Good night Mom, good night Dad.” I said as I walked up the stairs. I jumped into my bed, pulled up the covers, and listened to the sounds of the ocean as I fell asleep. Then came the night. . . “No, get away from me!” I screamed trying to get away from something, what ever it was I knew it wasn't good. While thrashing around I couldn't make out the creature, but then I saw it, a huge 7 foot tall purple bunny! The bunny had scars all over him, but worst of all the bunny had a chain saw raised above his head. Then came the noise “runnananana, moohahahaha” this was the last thing I heard. “Ahhhhhhhhhhh!” When I woke I was sitting in bed screaming. My only advice to you is if you see a big purple bunny, Run.

Going sky Diving

I have always wanted to go skydiving.

Taking that one risky leap could be the end.

But feeling the wind rush past as you float down to earth with nothing on your back but a parachute.

Now it's time to pull the chute, i give it a hard yank. . . nothing happens. . . I pull hard again but it;s to late I am falling to the ground.

Now I am falling knowing I won't see tomorrow.

But I don't hit the ground.

Luckily it was only a dream.

When you look up into the clear night sky and see billions of stars an wonder what's out there? A couple of weeks ago an astronomer named Mr. Gianforte came to our school to teach us about extra solar planets. Apparently over the past couple years astronomers have been finding planets outside of our solar system. Astronomers have discovered almost 500 planets, most of these planets are similar in size to Jupiter and our other gas giants. There are several ways to find these planets, most of which can only be done with professional equipment , but you could possibly find an extra solar planet in your back yard with a small telescope. When you look at the sky and see stars so far away wondering what's out there, have you ever thought if maybe someone is looking back at you wondering the same thing?

Recently we had the moon rocks in class.

Dear Mom and Dad,

This year in math class I have learned some new things. The first thing I learned in module one was how to interpret bar and line graphs, as well as learning how to make frequency tables. A frequency table is just a table where you record your data/ frequency that you find from your research or experiment. I have made data tables before so frequency tables were a review. The way you interpret graphs is pretty simple, all you have to do is look at a graph and extract important information that could help you answer any questions you have about a certain topic. A few things you need to know, you need to know what information is displayed on each axis, a line graph shows a set of data that changes over time, a bar graph shows a set of data recorded on one specific time survey.

In section 2 we covered several topics. We learned how to represent number and shape sequences with graphs and algebraic equations. Here's an example,

Term number

1

2

3

4

5

Term

1

4

9

16

25

Algebraic equation

T=2N

This equation tells you to multiply the term number by itself (term # x term #) to get your term. Using o an equation you can predict other terms in the sequence, this is another thing we learned. We also learned about exponents and how to use them. An exponent is used instead of multiplying a number by itself over and over again, here's an example, instead of writing out 5x5x5x5x5x5x5x5 you can turn this into an exponent which would be 5 to the eighth power. After learning how to use exponents we were able to find the volume of a cube by multiplying the length of one edge times 3 to get the volume. Volume is the area or space inside of a 3 dimensional object. If you call the length of one edge E the formula in exponential form would be E to the third power.

Next is probability which is what chance you have at getting something. Here's an example , you have a normal 6 sided die, what is the probability (chance) of rolling an even number . The probability would be 3/6 because there are three evens out of a total of six possible outcomes. I did a project on probability with my friend ARJO, our project was called Pizza Party. For Pizza Party we cut out different types of pizza out of colored paper, then we placed the paper pizza in a bag, next we picked the different pieces and recorded how many times we picked each type of pizza, this was our experimental probability. I enjoyed this project and it helped me understand how probability works.

Just recently we went over expressions and representations. The thing we worked on most was the order of operations, the order of operations is a set of steps on how to solve multiple step equations. The way to remember these operations is “PEMDAS” Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. This is the way to evaluate a complicated equation. If the problem looks like this, 40-10x5, you would do 10x5 first and then 40-50 which is -10. You read a problem from left to right, like a book. I also had a more in depth review on graphs and how to use them, I already explained this in the first paragraph.

Most of this module was a review and was fairly easy for me. My favorite part was the order of operations and the algebra, I enjoyed these sections because they were the only part that was a bit of a challenge. I enjoy working out long, complicated problems and these allowed me to be challenged a little. I hope you enjoyed my little letter on what I’ve learned in module 1!

Sincerely,

AJJA

Previous Entries All Entries       All Titles Next Entries