Copyright (c) 2014 by Sean Scattergood Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Sean Scattergood -- Blogmeister

Mr. Scattergood's Class

by Sean Scattergood

Our Neighbor, Mrs. Forsman's class
Another Neighbor, Mrs. Johnson's class
4th Grade Blog from Missouri
5th & 6th Grade Blog
3rd & 4th Grade class form New Zealand
Our Class eBoard

Article posted January 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM GMT-8 • comment (13) • Reads 6952

We've been studying the Civil Rights Movement since we came back from Winter Break. We are reading a lot, and we've watched some videos. One movie that has brought up a lot of questions, was called Our Friend Martin. In this movie, some kids go back in time to meet MLK at different points in his life. Part way thorugh they realize that he is going to be assassinated. In attempt to save MLK they bring him back to the future so he won't be killed. However, when they arrive back in the future...things have changed. Here is a question one of the students asked:

"Why was it so bad when they took Martin to the future? Does that mean without Martin, no one else would stand up?"

Article posted January 28, 2014 at 09:13 AM GMT-8 • comment (13) • Reads 90

Its been awhile since I've posted on our blog. We've been doing a lot of work with our Google Drive accounts. However, its time to do some more blogging.

We've been studying the Civil Rights Movement and we recently watched two different videos about two different women who were important to the Civil Rights Movement. They were Rosa Parks and Ruby Bridges. I would like everybody to respond to this blog by comparing/contrasting these two people. You are welcome to put your opinion in there too.

After you are done, please follow this link to Twilight's blog. It sounds like she had a great speaker at the Middle School. Take some time to read what she wrote and share your thoughts and feelings.

Article posted November 16, 2013 at 03:29 PM GMT-8 • comment (3) • Reads 77

Well I just finished reading a book called "The Sisters Grimm." My students this year have been raving about it after Mrs. Bailey read it to her 4th grade class last year.

It is a great book. Its about two sisters who believe they are orphaned. They are dropped off with a stranger who claims to be their grandmother, but their parents had told them their was no other family still alive. Things quickly get weird when the grandmother is feeding them strange-looking food and takes them "investigating." Their first investigation? the possible existence of a giant.

It's a fast-paced book that draws heavily on all the fairytale stories that have been told for hundreds of years.

Article posted September 25, 2013 at 09:48 AM GMT-8 • comment (5) • Reads 143

I've just started reading "The Twits." I'm not impressed so far. They just seem to be a rude husband and wife. They are ugly, hairy, and mean to each other. So far, I can't see why kids like this book so much. I'm only  20 pages in, so maybe it will get better. I'm not a huge Roald Dahl fan, but we'll see.

Article posted September 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM GMT-8 • comment (6) • Reads 156

So, here we are at the beginning of a new year. Hopefully my new 5th graders at Barnes will be posting on their new blogs this afternoon. Until then, here is the book I am reading to the class:

Article posted May 13, 2013 at 09:57 PM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 121

Here are the recent challenges the kids have taken on. More challenges to come...

Humdinger and Carts

Article posted March 26, 2013 at 01:42 PM GMT-8 • comment (7) • Reads 68

I've recently read Walk Two Moons and The Field Guide, from the Spiderwick Chronicles as readalouds to the class. I'd love to hear some comments from the students in my class, but also from other people who've read or had these books read to them. They are a couple of my favorites for very different reasons.

Article posted December 11, 2012 at 01:29 PM GMT-8 • comment (34) • Reads 115

Our Class Book!

We're all reading Sign of the Beaver.

Let us know what you think.

Article posted October 13, 2012 at 05:20 PM GMT-8 • comment (15) • Reads 146

I have some pretty motivated readers this year. I've got some bloggers that are throwing out the challenge to everybody to try and read their 40 books for the year. I just finished reading How to Train Your Dragon. I'm really glad the book was different from the movie. I loved the movie, but in some ways, the book has a better storyline.

I'm definitely going to read Big Nate and Amulet. I'm going to read these books because so many kids are reading them. I read Diary of a Whimpy Kid last week for the same reason. I have to say that Diary of a Whimpy Kid is not a great book. I sure hope I can convince more kids to read some literature with a more rich vocabulary and storyline. So far this year some kids are hooked on The Lightning Thief, Among the Hidden, Star Girl, and The Seventh Tower. It also looks like The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is making the rounds. These are much better books in my opinion.

Got any good recommendations for books? Please mention them in the comments section.

Article posted September 13, 2012 at 03:35 PM GMT-8 • comment (9) • Reads 66

We're back to school, al 34 of us. 32 students, Mrs. Hughes (our student teacher), and myself. It is definitely tight in the classroom this year. This group seems to like reading as much as ever. As usual, I'm reading Maniac Magee to the class. I love this book!

2009-2010 5th Grade
2010-2011 5th Grade
2011-2012 5th Grade
2012-2013 5th Grade
Barnes 2013-2014

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog