Copyright (c) 2014 by SR Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SR -- Blogmeister

SR bolg-

by SR teacher: Elise Mueller

Title: Revolutionary War (02/06/09)
Description: Our writing about the Revolutionary War

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 02:33 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 405

Hi I am Abigail Adams and I am going to share how I feel about the American Revolution in this blog.

The Boston Massacre

From Thomas Jefferson’s point of view

Thomas Jefferson would not have agreed with the Boston massacre, he thought that you should solve problems peacefully and verbally and not violently and physically. So when he heard about the massacre he thought it was un necessary.

Prepare our men for war! For war! I'm really worried! Will this affect our estate? I've also heard of the battle in Lexington. What a violent event!

My story of the Boston Massacre!

I am so excited that I don’t have to feed the British soldiers or let them sleep in my child’s bed. Now the government does not have to order me to do all of that. I hate how they call the British soldiers names the English are so rude to us. I knew that the colonists would have very serious consequences for holding that tea party!

I am kind of disappointed about the battle of Lexington I thought we had that one for our selves.

Guy Carleton

Running Deer tod me about something that happened yesterday or a couple days ago called the battle of Lexington. 

It started when the British Army came to check over the weapons of the colonists.  The night they heard the proclamation Paul Revere rode to all the towns within 20 miles of the place the British were going to come and warned them.  The British traveled by water during the night.  Paul Revere never finished his ride but one of his accompaniments finished for him.    In the north tower of Boston there were two lanterns lighted to warn everybody of the raid.  They did not call out the British are coming they used the words regular instead because they considered themselves British also. 

The next morning when the British attacked they met a fight by a few minutemen and killed a few of them.  They continued on to a small bridge, and at the bridge stopped.  There Thomas Gage had ordered troops to meet the British.  They were up on a hillside overlooking the bridge.  When the saw the fire on the ammunitions they thought it was their houses burning and started the battle. 

The battle went on and when finished 3 killed and 8 wounded for the British and the colonists had about 5 killed and about same amount wounded.  The British retreated to the other side of the river and the colonists stayed put. 

This was the beginning of the battle or disagreements.

-Wenoah

The Boston Tea Party was when the British would not send back a ship full of tea and the colonists raided the boat and sunk all the tea.  After the raid King George got very mad and made the colonists pay for the tea before it entered the harbor so that they would lose money not the British. This group who raided the boat was called the Boston Tea Party.

Running Deer told me about something that happened today in Boston called the Boston Tea Party. I don't know how news gets around so quick here. Well anyway, it was one of the bad results of the Tea Act. A bunch of People, (apparently they call themselves the "Sons of Liberty") heard about some new shipments of tea that were coming in at the Boston ports and disguised themselves as Native Americans, organizing an ambush on the boats. They managed to get on the boats and dump huge crates of tea into the harbor. Forty-Five tons of it! Most of the British Politicians are outraged. I don’t have many particular feelings about it, but I’m not sure that I am the most informed. I bet my father has some kind of strong feelings on the subject, I’ll ask him.

I personally think that the Boston Massacre was unfair because it caused death to the colonists. Because they were saying their thoughts in the Boston Massacre and they were sticking up for themselves. Three colonists were killed and two died later. (A.W)

The Boston massacre is just an outrage. Just because some people did not want to pay the ridiculous taxes that King George makes does not mean you should send solders across the sea to open fire on we colonists. (PA)   

You can enter the text of your blog here!

We colonists will not have any money left the way the British are setting down taxes on things. Their latest tax is on tea. The British fancied that the colonists would not deny themselves a nice cup of tea just because they had to pay a little more. What I’m sure that the British did not plan on was the colonists protesting in the way that they did.

A large mob of men dressed as Mohawk Indians swarmed angrily into the three tea bearing ships like flies to raw meat. Soon the air resounded with their angry song. They dumped huge chests of the tea into the water after splitting the wood with the small axes that they carried. I hear they call themselves the Sons of Liberty, judging by what their actions I would call them the Sons of Destruction.    

I just held a meeting of the sons of liberty, a small but growing society of protesting colonists, and told them my thoughts on the stamp act. Treacherous! I said, a friend participating volunteered the idea that we fight back. I understand that eventually that is what it will come to, but I told him first to show signs of rebellion. So we ventured forth with protests, and petitions, and boycotts. Finally one group made a grass scarecrow like figure of a tax collector and hung it from one of the trees in Town Square. We now call the tree the liberty tree. Later they burned his personal items and terrorized his property.

I had another meeting and we rallied the “troops” to go to Town Square, and we faced off the Bloodybacks, we yelled and began throwing snowballs, mind you it is winter, a wave of slaves and protesters ran forward and then a gun went off. Followed by many others. A slave named Crispus Attucks was killed along with three others; two were wounded and died the next day. Young Crispus was the first to die in the closing and seemingly unavoidable fight for our freedom.

I must go to another meeting.

All fifth graders in the state of Washington must complete a “Classroom Based Assessment” (CBA) in Social Studies. This year students took a look at the Stamp Act for our CBA. We wrote essays and created presentations that addressed who wrote the Stamp Act, what it meant to accomplish, and how it fit within our democratic ideals. Take a look at our Revolutionary War wiki page to see a few examples of our work and read the blogs from our Revolutionary War assignments to find out what students are learning about!

It came to me as a real shock! The worst part is it makes America look all cute and helpless. Who do you think actually started it?! We did! If you ask me the British soldiers were melodramatic about this whole thing. I know that it’s a terrible action to taunt or “tease” a soldier but you don’t fire. That’s just my opinion.

I think the British were being the murderers on accident because a soldier fell and set off his gun. Which made the other soldiers think to open fire.

Personally, I thought the Boston Massacre was unfair, because the Boston Massacre caused death to colonists because they were standing up for themselves. The British opened fire. Three colonists were killed and two died later

Among the dead, was a 47 year old runaway African-American slave named Crispus Attucks. Cripus Attucks had led the charge against the soldiers. He was the first person to be killed for American Independence.

CC

I cannot believe those inconsiderate, heartless British. They have killed five EXTREMELY unfortunate colonists just because they were pelting them with natural debris. Four of the colonist’s names have slipped my mind, but the other colonist’s name is Crispus Attucks. Curse those daft idiots. LW

The event now known as the Boston Massacre has ended with all of the men being acquitted, with two having the charges against them reduced from murder to manslaughter, and being punished by branding on their thumbs.

I personally think that the Boston Massacre was caused by the colonists, who were throwing snowballs and rocks at the soldiers. It comes as no surprise to me that the soldiers opened fire to defend themselves.

However, I am not completely immune to the slight sorrow I feel for the families of the five deceased people the soldiers killed. Even though, however, one of them was a runaway slave named Crispus Attucks.

The colonists now resent us British for the Boston Massacre. I can understand that. The Boston Massacre was an unfortunate event.

-Sir Henry Clinton

Today, Father greeted news from the East in an angry way. The news was sent by a group of hunters from the neighboring tribe. The hunters got lost and we found them and they gave us any news they had in pay. We directed them down the river. That tribe must not be very good trackers to lose thier way in the Forest of Glen. (That's wat we call the forest between our two tribes.) Why, I could find my way through the Glen Forest when I was four. Anyway, this news was about something everybody is calling the Boston Massacre. I know what a Massacre is. We were Massacred and we have massacred, but only in defence. This guy named Crispus Attucks Died during it. He was supposed to be a powerful man, not helpless, so this Massacre must have been very bad. I don't think he agreed with the pourpose of this Massacre.

-Tallulah

The Boston Massacre is all the colonies fault! If they had not insulted us and threw stuff at my men then the soldiers would not have killed Crispus Attucks. It is all the colonies fault.

Can you believe those colonists taking the homeland tea and pouring it of the edge of a royal tea ship? Boston should respect their homeland the royal blood which protects there pitiful lives. Why do they think they should be placed higher than pure royal blood? Why doesn’t god punish the colonists for their behavior?

I do not think that King George lll should of made the stamp act! We have to pay tax on material that we did not used to have to pay tax on. I can't even buy a newspaper for John without paying some stinking tax! If we have to pay some tax, just because King George lll doesn’t know how to handle his money, or bargain we shall protest!!! If you think protesting is a good idea, then please comment! (MM)

Can you believe it they fired and they were not supposed to the British government had told them not to fire but they did. God please forgive us for the mistake they thought they were supposed to fire because one got hit by a snowball and fired into the air. Please god forgive us for our mistake, please.

Now that I think about it the King is doing the right thing those ungrateful people do not disserve the land. They don’t care about the homeland those disgraceful colonists how could they treat their homeland like that?

Article posted March 10, 2009 at 04:24 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 142

I think that the colonists should just keep their mouths shut! I mean the people like me in Britain have to pay more taxes then them!

Hi I’m Thomas Jefferson. I was born on April 13 1743 .I was the governor of Virginia for two years. I was the Minster to France for four years. The Vice president to John Adams and I was the 3rd president and I wrote the Declaration of independence. I had a tragic Death on July 4 1862.

Article posted February 12, 2009 at 05:36 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 181

The ceremony went extremely well! Running Boar is very proud to be cheif of the scouts, and every one is excited about his finding Wyanet. The only bad thing is that we very much missed having her smiling face there with us. There was lots of singing and dancing at the ceremony, not to mention all the food that was served. I just got back, so I am stuffed to my full capacity. I hope we get a chance to write tomorrow!

-Wenoah

This darned tax on sugar is making my tax collecting a failure; people don’t really like me because I am collecting the large taxes. I think they are getting out of hand those taxes. Also, the government doesn’t ask us for our opinion, and that infuriates me. We should have a say.

I have remarried to a lady named Elizabeth Wells she is quite nice, and kind.

The stamp act really is out of control. the stamp is appearing all over and only can be paid in SOLID gold and silver! It's a lot to manage.

I was pretty happy about the outcome of the war. But maybe the first half of the war was bad for us because of General Braddock. But the tide of the war changed in 1756 when William Pitt became our secretary of state. Then we finely started to slowly capture their forts then we won the war!

I am very content the Sugar Tax is raising money and keeping those new world British subjects from making there rum.

Sincerely,

General Cornwallis

Yesterday Wyanet was found picking cotton on a slave plantation. The pale face owners would not let us have her back, but they said they would treat her better than the other slaves if we gave them furs and meat in trade. We agreed. The scout that found her is being made chief scout and there is going to be a ceremony held in his honor tonight with a minute set aside for mourning because we did not get Wyanet back. The scout’s name is being changed to Fierce Boar for the bravery it took to talk to the pale faces.                                                                                              

~Wenoah and Tallulah

During the revolutionary war I was the captain of the continental army. I commanded 100men; I fed my men and paid them well. George Washington asked me to be his aide I accepted the offer. I was George Washington’s staff for four years. I got a nickname: little lion. That’s what I did during the revolutionary war.

Sybril Ludington dressed like a boy. Sybril was born at Patterson ,New York in1761. When Sybril was 16 Sybril’s mother was expecting Sybril to act like a real lady. Sybril Ludington traveled to many places in the world. After the war in 1784 she married a lawyer from Catskill named Edmond Ogden. Sybril lived in Unadilla till her death February 26,1839 she died at the age 78 years old. Sybril was buried by her father in the Patterson Presbyterian cemetery in Patterson New York.

The outstanding finish of the French and Indian War in 1763 was in need of great celebration in the colonies, for it removed several ominous barriers and supplied a host of new opportunities for the loyalists. The French had efficiently hemmed the British settlers and had, (from the perspective of the settlers), played the "Indians" against them even though in the end the British won anyways.

But the next thing on the minds of British army was the western frontier (that being one of the new opportunities) that had opened to them when the French ceded the neutral territory to the British. The royal proclamation of 1763 did much to lighten that celebration.

Now that King George III has written the sugar act they have made changes to many different taxes, such as: Molasses now has a tax of three pence a gallon instead of six pence, they have put tax on certain items such as: Sugar, coffee, pimiento, cambric, printed calico, and certain wines. (ET)

‘ello, I am Thomas Gage, British general for King George the III. Oh how did I feel about the French and Indian war, well I felt ECSATIC=http://!

I said well I said, " Well let's all have some tea and enjoy ourselves "That’s what I said. Nice to meet you old chap, see you again soon.

King George the 3rd: Yeah! We won the French and Indian war!

General Cornwallis: What will we do now and where’s my pay KG the 3rd?

KG the 3rd: You will get paid soon. Very soon, and I do not know what to do next.

To be continued

Continued

KG the 3rd: I know what to do I will do the stamp act it will go on any playing cards, toys and legal documents. With the money I will pay all my generals, solders and warriors

General Cornwallis: that is a brilliant idea my king

KG the 3rd: Thank you general corn Wallace now send the

Out the stamp act immediately

I cannot believe the British. They are forcing us to pay a three-cent tax on foreign refined sugar. A WHOLE THREE CENTS=http:// And they increased taxes on coffee, indigo, and most kinds of wine! I cannot believe that the British have raised the taxes without the consent of us! It just makes me angry! (LW)

I was 9 years old when the sugar act happened so I will tell you about the opinions I heard around me. I heard a lot of opinions like one is he was happy because he got more money than he usual. Then another opinion was that it sucked. But my guardian was pretty happy about because she got more money too. But the tax increased for sugar, coffee, indigo, and certain kinds of wine so, I don’t know if that is a good or bad thing or not. They band French wine, and those taxes are important to are population. That’s all I heard from the people.

April 5th, 1764

Today Prime Minister George Grenville has reformed the former Mollases act. Cutting the original tax of sixpence in half, but also cleverly expanding the number of taxable items. Certain wines, cloth, coffee, tropical foods and silk were just added to the list. Those stubborn colonist MUST be satisfied by now. (AL)

I was pretty happy about the outcome of the war. But maybe the first half of the war was bad for us because of General Braddock. But the tide of the war changed in 1756 when William Pitt became our secretary of state. Then we finely started to slowly capture their forts then we won the war!(N.C)

The output of the war promised land but alas, the Crown proclaimed that the colonists would not expand territory, and he cut off our precious land we earned from the war. And *sniff* Elizabeth gave birth to a girl we named Samantha who lived, and later a girl named Mary who died after three months and nine days. And my wife, has fallen dreadfully ill, *wail!* and the doctor said she may die. We also must pay much money for taxes like, tea, sugar, stamps to mail things to England and also molasses, which I need for my wife’s fabulous cookies. My business is not providing lots of money.

Any way my father wishes my wife health, and me happiness and that my business picks up.

Hurrah! Our  journal entries have reappeared. I think the evil magic that befell them has gone from our midst. Still no news about Wyanet. Mother, Father and the scout Leaping Fox are grieving still. There is no more fighting to do for the mean time and the scouts’ recovery has quickened its pace. Soon we will have fresh meat for the whole tribe.

-Wenoah   and Tallulah

We have just received report that we have officially won the Seven Years War. It is good news indeed, though I am afraid that John will have no work I almost wish it were still going on though it is such a terrible thought indeed that I shall not wish it so.

Flibbergibish! How stupid we have been, now that the sugar and molasses prices have gone up nor me or Husband or our animals (horses), have had anything sweet for many moons. Why our animals (horses) you question well, my answer to you is, well hmm, let me see how to say this. Oh yes I think this will suit your mind very well in fact almost excellent. Our small farm has 3 horses you see, and when our horses get sick we put molasses onto a piece of bread ad sprinkle the medicine onto that and then the horses eat the mixture just like that! But alas now they cannot because of the sugar and molasses act. Now I have to bake un sweetened food! Mary

L.M.

One of our "Big Questions" that we asked before we began our study of the Revolutionary War is, "When did cooperation turn into conflict?" Colonists stood united with King George during the French and Indian War but now things are beginning to change. Not all Colonists were happy with the Proclamation of 1763 and now they are learning about the tax on sugar. Take a look at our Revolutionary War assignments and follow along as we learn more about conflict, cooperation, and the birth of our nation.

Well that’s spectacular! That pea-brained king over in England just published a proclamation, something about giving land to some Indians (the Indians must be happy about that). I’ve heard that it’s quite a lot of land and that makes people over hear mad. I personally think that its s unfair to us colonists because I mean we did fight for that land in the war and what about the people who own land there.

I wonder what the king was thinking when he published that. I mean he had the land and the colonists in the very palm of his hand and he blew it in one move! Now I guess the peace is shattered and the colonists will eventually rebel and another war will commence I guess what will happen will.

Dear friend,

“I long to hear that you have declared an independency, and by the way, in the new code of laws witch I suppose it will be necessary for you to make, I desire you would remember the ladies and be more generous and favorable to them then your ancestors. Do not put so much unlimited power into the husband’s hands and put more power into the ladies hands. I think that the men and the ladies should have equal rights. So if you would be so generous please think a little bit about this letter.” By Abigail Adams paraphrased by aw.

They should have known not to go at war with the Brits! King Louis is probably mourning about the outcome of the war. And I have no sympathy for the French. Well I must go there is a proclamation to write.(MK)

Father told me about this treaty the French and British signed after the war ended. I think he called it the Treaty of Paris. I don't know much though. Tallulah told me that Wyanett's teacher Running Deer left for France yesterday to talk to one of the French generals about it. I did not hear anything more, but I'll ask father if he knows much       

Right now I am very upset because King George III has just signed the Treaty of Paris, which I wish he hadn't. Why you ask? My answer to you is, my Husband and I were promised some land after the French and Indian war. But it's over and I almost wish it wasn't (what a terrible thought I agree). You see once the war was over King George III signed the Treaty which said that no Colonist is allowed to go either north or west of the Appalachian Mountains. So that is why I am very upset. Now I have to go bath in my tears of grief, Mary

L.M.

The British have finally won the war, though it wasn’t a whole win, the French still have some portion of land left to own. The British’s portion of land is east of the Mississippi river, which will have to do. I am grateful that it was a near win instead of a full loss. (ET)

I was 8 years old when the proclamation happened. But I went to college my parents are not married and I hope I can go where the action is, where Americans are. I would like to fight in war because I to be where the action is, right now the action is the war.

The Proclamation of 1763 said that the colonists were not allowed to move anywhere more west than the Applalachian Mountains. This made the colonists mad because they already had bought land here. All colonists were told to leave immediately. The main reason why this rule was issued was because it was costing too much money for the British to keep revolting Indians away from the shelters. (RL)

(This is a fictional account, since no sources of info on the real opinion were found)

I am quite glad of the outcome of the Seven Years war. The French have lost Canada and all territories east of the Mississippi. I do think that the drafting civilians and allowing troops to take supplies from them at will is a little harsh, but it did boost munitions stock.

However, the crown is in high debt from the cost of the war. The taxes are going to be raised, that is the most probable outcome.

Prime Minister William Pitt’s tactics worked, but when an uprising nearly tore New York apart, he was forced to relent.

It is unfortunate about the death of Commander Edward Braddock in the attack of Fort Duquesne.

The Seven Years war was ultimately a victory for the British. (JJ)

Our diary entries have disapeared and replaced by a man who's name father says is King George the third. I don't know of whom and what he is king of, I just know that he is not king of the Cherokees.        

-Tallulah

God has shed his grace onto the British army. They have reduced the French down almost no colonies. King Louis commands his armies pitifully. King George III commands his armies beautifully. The English colonies have nearly tripled their size from when they started. I wish my stores had been more successful. (LW)

I was very dissapointed in the Boston Massacre. I did everything in my power to prevent it. The killing of five townsman by the British soldiers was terrible. I wrote to Lord Hillsborough "Boston is pitched into a perfect frenzy, and the Provence as a whole is on the edge of civil war." It is not in my poweer to remove the King's soldiers.

Article posted February 6, 2009 at 12:31 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 186

All of our tribe members that went searching have come back. No good news or news at all of their findings. I don't want to doubt that we'll get my sister back again, but it is really hard to have any hope whatsoever. Our tribe has been very glum lately,  I think both a mix of the war outcome and all the people we have lost- our sister and some of the soldiers. We will send out another search party again tomorrow, but none of us are very convinced. We will write again tomorrow-Wenoah and Tallulah

I am pretty happy about the ending of the French and Indian war. Because we get to use the Ohio territory.  But I sure want my money from King George 3rd.

From Guy Carleton

On April 30, 1789 I was, standing on the balcony of the Federal Hall. I took the oath to office and became your official first president, which is what I’m mostly known for. But, I also fought in the revolutionary war As well as the French and Indian war. (*RL*)

Aha! I knew we would win the war! I almost feel sorry for that pitiful King Louis. That will teach him to confront the unstoppable British army! (JD)

Father came home a few days ago sorely wounded and many of our soldiers were killed, with some living but badly injured. Father told his tale of how we  were winning then the British overthrew us. He walks with a limp or not at all. We don't know what  will happen but while Father was away our village was raided and our sister Wyanet mysteriously  dissapeared. We were brokenhearted. Father sent out a majority of our living men to look for her, but none have come back with news, positive or negative. Another update tomorrow, Wenoah and Tallulah.

We have defeated them! Such fools, thoes hotheaded French. To think that they could ever done the same to us. The sun never sets on the British Empire. We are but invincible. (AL)

We are definitely not in agreement with the French. In fact, we are at war with them. After our turning of the tables on the French and Indians, we continue to gain territory on the French military and destroy their front lines. We have also captured most of there main forts. In conclusion, we do not agree with the French or support their decisions in their war against us, with the Indians. (JD)

Article posted February 7, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 128

Here is how I died

(Of course I am a ghost at the moment)

I died on Mar. 5, 1770, Boston when...

The British maddened me and when other dockworkers had started throwing snowballs I joined them.

My men threw a shower of snowballs at the soldiers, which they returned with a galling fire. I was the first to fall, being conspicuous on account of my height, which was six feet and two inches, and the still more important fact that I was in advance of my men. A tense moment came when I and four other white patriots moved closer toward the British soldiers. I lunged forward with a "cordwood club" and beckoned the furious crowd to move in and disarm the British soldiers. I was immediately struck twice in the chest by the British and killed. These shots were then followed by a series of others. Historical records listed four others killed: Samuel Gray, James Caldwell, Samuel Maverick, and Patrick Carr.

Article posted April 5, 2004 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 139

The sugar act may make people lose money. But we need that money to provide more security for the colonies. I think it is pretty smart of them to do that. I mean it is good for the taxpayers too. Hope fully they see that they are losing money for there own good. It is also a smart way to make the colonists to trade with only the British. And it was great that they did it on important stuff that is needed by the people.

Article posted March 11, 2004 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 153

Yes we won the war, the French went down in the flames of defeat, and we came out on top of the glorious pole of victory. I thank God for supporting us well we fought, with out him we would not have made it to the top. With the French being scared of us we shall have a safer place to live. I thank our God again and hope that he will support us through thick and thin.