Copyright (c) 2014 by BrCo Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
BrCo -- Blogmeister

Grade 8

by BrCo

teacher: Shaun Fletcher

Science Pirates 12/16

Title: Science Pirates (12/16/09)
Description: You are a scientific game reviewer. You must decide whether science pirates is interesting and educational enough to be purchased by the province to use in schools. In your review you will need to give specific examples of what is learned. As well, you will need to give reasons why it would appeal to middle school students.

Science Pirates is a game designed to teach kids about scientific methods, how to perform experiments, and other valuable things.

I feel that Science Pirates is a fun yet educational game that can help kids learn. In fact, once you get over the annoying music, pointless conversations, and complex puzzles, it is an enjoyable game.

In this game you can learn how to make a hypothesis (ex. Washing your hands with soap and water is better than rinsing them), do an experiment (ex. Finding out which hand washing method is better), and come to a conclusion (ex. Washing your hands with soap and water is in fact better than rinsing them).

You also learn about variables, such as independent variables and dependant variables (ex. A type of hand washing method and the amount of bacteria it left). Another thing learned about is constants, which are things that always stay the same.

What I liked about the game “Science Pirate” was that we got to learn about all kinds of things while playing different levels of games. This game is very educational in all different kinds of ways, and was very fun at the same time. You get to go to different places on the island, with different levels. Also , everyplace you go , they sing a song about what you are going to learn about in the level , and they give you a piece of the map so that every time you go somewhere , you put the map back together to solve the mystery. Really, when you think about it, all different ages can play this game because it teaches you what to do very well so that you know exactly how to do it. This game is also easier for the teachers, because they don’t have to teach us all of the things on the game, and it helps the students understand the curriculum better. Every time I came to science class, I knew what we were going to do, so I was prepared, and unlike a normal science class, I was excited. I was excited to play the game instead of the teacher teaching it to us because we get to use the laptops , and also I don’t think we could get the teachers to sing us songs to learn , and make up levels for us to play to understand it better . The things I didn’t like about this game, was that a lot of the time when they talk, they usually mumble, and it would get very annoying, and also if you weren’t paying attention, you miss what they were saying. But other then that, I really enjoyed this game, and if I were the teachers, I would find more games like this, because the students would have fun while learning, and it teaches you very well. The things I learned in the game were how to wash our hands better, and about bacteria. It tells us that if you don’t wash your hands the proper way, you still have a lot of bacteria on your hands , which means that if you touch something , and it goes into yours , ( or even someone else’s mouth)

It could get you very sick, which I doubt you want to happen. Bacteria catch very easily, so if you touch someone else, then they get it on them. Also, we learned about dependant and independent variables. They teach us that independent variables are things that you can change in your experiment, and that dependant variables are things that you can’t change in the experiment. This game taught me what agar is and what constants are. I learned that agar is a jelly like food that you touch and it will attract a lot of the bacteria on your hands, and a constant is the things that you keep the same. Also, we learned what colonies are and how to count them. So if a teacher were to look at letting their students play a science game , I would highly recommend this one, because you get to learn about a lot of great things, also, you get to go to play a computer game, which unlike sitting there listening to the teacher ramble on about science things, is very fun.

In the game “Science Pirates” we learned that the game doesn’t just teach you about science but health too. And in the health category we learnt that if you don’t wash your hands and your kitchen wear, and everything that goes in your mouth or touches your food bacteria will spread.

Bacteria can make you really sick, and the game shows you how much bacteria can spread in such a little amount of time and how many people or animals it can affect.

In the science category we learnt about making up and writing hypothesis, what the different variables are and the constants. We learnt how to use Petri dishes and how much examples you need just to finish a science experiment. Everything to do a science experiment. And a science experiment always helps kids learn more in science, or in any class, but they like doing experiments because they’re fun easy to do.

I think that this game is appropriate for kids in grades 5 to 8 and can also encourage children to always wash there’re hands even when the wouldn’t want to. This can be an exciting experience for the children.

This game is defiantly a wonderful game for all middle or elementary schools all over New Brunswick, and it’s a fun way for the kids to learn some thing new in science or health class.

Today my grade eight science class played a game called Science Pirates. I was told to review what I thought of this game so, here it goes.

I think this is a good game to play in school because it is very educational but fun at the same time. It is educational because you learn about bacteria and how to conduct an experiment and it is fun because… well, it just is.

In this game you learn about what independent and dependent variables are and you have problems to figure out (like the monkey levels). All the levels are challenges and each place you go teaches you something different about science.

It does take a while to play, it took me two periods, but it’s worth it because you get a lot of information out of it.

I would recommend to teachers that they should let their students play this game. This is because kids pay more attention to games than they do to their teachers. It would be easier for the teacher to see if the student was doing his/her work or if they understood what the game is teaching them because they could just check the percentage of how much the game was completed.

In this game I learned about constants, variables, agar, and counting colonies. I learnt about constants and variables in the cave of the ghost’s and I learnt about agar and counting colonies when I was doing the experiment of washing your hands. This game made you use deductive reasoning and logic.

There is something I didn’t like about the game though: when the characters in the game were talking all you heard was grumbling. I wish that the creators of the game would have put in voices because it kind of bothered me.

So, in short: I think this game is very educational and I’m sure most students would enjoy it. I think every science teacher in all middle schools should get their students to play this game. Now, quit wasting your playing time by reading this and go catch Brown beard!

My review for this game is that it was great for learning science in a fun, new way. It helped me to solve problems, make hypothesises and other things.

Although, I believe this game is made more for younger ages and there are a bit of annoyances and repetitiveness. For example, the songs gave good information and examples of what you should do if making a procedure but it got boring after a while. Repeating that bacteria is small and can be everywhere is like repeating that water is a liquid, its common sense.

On a brighter side, the games repetitiveness helped me remember what to do, and which step to take first when doing a procedure, it also helped me to make more observations and take a note of what was happening and how to write it down.

Then for the game part, I’d say it was very fun, I enjoyed the battles with the sea monsters, and learned about the variables when I was discovering what kind of bomb I should use to destroy it. The ghosts where interesting and even more acquired for learning. They showed me the steps of writing procedures, the difference between variables and independent variables, the constants and other little ways to make your procedure as fair and accurate as could be.

By all, this game was a well made, ideal way for teaching young generations about science and even germs, in my opinion, this game was very good !

Science Pirates Review

Our class has recently finished playing a scientific pirate game. This game used scientific methods while also introducing fun to the game. This game could be a useful tool to science teachers so that they could introduce the scientific methods without stifling their creativity.

This game teaches students how to use different methods for finding and solving problems. The game teaches them how to use the trial and error method. They have many lives so they can have chances to learn from their mistakes. Another method this game teaches is how to use a chart to compare their results to different tests.

This game also has fun involved. This game was based around a pirate who has to break the curse of Brown beard. He must guide monkeys through confusing mazes, help the ghosts of Brown beards old crew solve their problems and fight the evil sea monsters. On his way he must find the discarded pieces of a map that will guide them to Brown beards lair so they can reclaim their treasure chest.

I would recommend this to people who enjoy pirates and like science and would also like to learn about different science methods.

This game is a very cool game and it teaches a lot of science about constant variables, independent variable and dependent variable. I think it would be a good game for grade five to eight grad students since it would be like having fun and learning at the same time.

The best part is when it teaches them how to make your own experiment so then when they have to conduct their own experiment it will be easier for them to conduct their experiment.

Although some parts were a nuisance, such as the singing tikki and the singing rats. Which was singing to teach you science at the same time, but you could take the earphones off and just read what it said at the bottom of the screen.

The object of the game was to collect all the pieces of the map and to collect the pieces of the map you had to conduct science experiments. There are six pieces of the map that means you have to do six different levels to get those six pieces of the map. One of the levels is to make your monkey get to the end, another one was attack the sea monsters, the next one was to help the ghost pirates to conduct an experiment, the last level was were you had to listen to singing.

Once you finish those levels you have to conduct your own experiment so then the pirates will understand that soap and water are better than using anything else. Then you have to go and defeat brown beard. This game was amusing and I think that it could be for almost all ages and should be taught in classes.

This is a really good game it teaches you specifique things in science like what independent variables and variables and also constants.

I would say that this game would be a good game for a age group of 10-13, because it teaches things you should know for when you get to middle school and also when you are in middle school.

The Game also uses scientific word like “Agar” so like you have to look in the dictionary for the word and for what it means so also you learn a new vocabulary.

This game teaches you how to do experiments and the correct way to do the experiment also it shows you how to observe and take in information about what things do for example it shows you that when a monkey eats a banana it turns right and then it shows you that when you eat a apple it turns left and exc.

One other thing that it shows you is the order that you should do the experiment and the way you should do the chart and more… There were also pieces of the mat that you had to collect to defeat this captain “Brown beard”. To collect the pieces of the map you had to do different experiments.

I think that the talking ti-ki’s were really annoying because they were singing but what they were singing was teaching you about lots of different things.

I think this game is a really good and also fun game for teaching you science.

I think the game science pirates was a very educational experience, it was fun to play all the activities and learn how to do science experiments virtually.

My favorite part was using fruit to guide the monkey through the temple, you had to use banana’s to go right, apples to go left and so on.

It was also fun to try different substances to create a cannon ball to defeat the monsters.

There were parts where you had to make charts to indicate which one of the materials was the one that would defeat the problem that the pirates had for you, that was interesting.

And so I think that everybody in Middle School should get the chance to play this game, because for me it actually made me want to come to science and learn, and I think that’s how everyone should feel about science also.

So if you’re ever in the mood to play a fun educational game you should play Science Pirates.

The game “Science Pirate Curse of Brown beard” is an educational and fun game. In the game you learn about forming hypothesis, conducting experiments and learning about the variables and constants.

When you learn about the variables and constants you had to conduct an experiment and then label what was what. You would go to seven ghosts and they would tell you their problem you would help them by conducting an experiment to help them figure out what was wrong. Then they would send you on to the next ghost and at the end award you with a map piece for working hard and learning.

There were songs that you would have to listen to some were more annoying than others. There was a song about observations, two songs about bacteria and one song about agars. The song about observations was about a monkey jumping over a hole then getting a banana it would sing about what they observed and after you endured the two minutes of torture they would award a map piece same as the other songs.

You had to go to an island with four different caves. When you went into the cave you would have to conduct another experiment on deductive reasoning to see which canon is better on which monster. You had to try different combinations and had to eliminate which ones weren’t the most effective on the monster. It was a little challenging to find which one it was. After you had found the correct combination you were sent into an underground cave in an underground ocean. The same monster that you tried your canon on would appear and you would click on him and try and destroy him with your canons it was really hard after awhile I got a hang of it after a couple of times of dying when he came close you got to defeat four monsters in all and you were awarded a piece of a map.

After that you went to the monkey temple. You had to direct the monkey by making him eat the right kind of fruit and he would turn the right way. You had to be careful that the monkey wouldn’t fall of the path. After every level you were awarded a new kind of fruit that you would need for the next level. After you finished all eight levels you were awarded you last piece of the map.

You went back to see the captain to conduct the experiment about washing your hands. You got pirates to be the people who would either, not wash and touch the agar, spit on their hands and touch the agar, just use water and touch the agar and Wash with soap and water and then touch the agar. You came to a conclusion that washing is the best way to clean your hands. After you got to make a sign and the game ended.

This was a good game even though there are some childish parts. I think that this game is fun and should be played all over New Brunswick as part of the curriculum. I learned a lot from this game it makes science much more exciting.

I am going to talk about the game that I played it’s a learning game all about pirates and it shows you how to do projects and I think it is a good game for younger kids to play.

This game is a great learning game for younger kids probably not so much for older kids like grade eight and nine and so on but for younger kids it a good learning game you can learn things you might not have seen or heard of before and this game will show you and tell you all about it.

This game show you all about experiences and how to do stuff like who to make a chart or what the definitions are or how to make a hypothesis it will show you haw to make a good question and it will also show you all about constants, variables and what the independent variable and dependant variable are which also mean cause and effect. When they were talking about constants it means thing that stay the same and the variables are things that change through out the project.

This is why I think this game is a very good game for younger kids and even for older kids but mostly for us it is just fun so this game is a very good learning experience for younger kids.

The game “science pirates” was very amusing and educational while staying appropriate for a young teen audience. The object of the game was to collect all the pieces of the map, by facing challenges and finding hidden songs. In the last stage of the game, you had to make an experiment to test Brownbeards curse. Which you think might not be a curse but the pirates not washing their hands, and making themselves sick.  

Some parts of the game were a bit repetitive; like when you had to design the weapons to attack the sea monsters, also known as deductive reasoning, it was a little repetitive, but the shooting was good quality, like a real video game. If you paid attention to the instructions, you could defeat the monsters easily enough.

I thoroughly enjoyed the songs and the rats/mice. The Tiki men were cute and funny, and the songs had a scientific meaning and amusing animation. But I think it should have been harder than just listening to a song to get a piece of the map. In total there were 5 songs.

In the temple, you had to guide the monkey through a maze using different fruit to make him change directions. You could also put to fruits together to make the monkey do to things at the same time, ex... A banana and pineapple would make the monkey jump to the left. 

In the ghosts’ stage, each ghost gives you an experiment to finish, so they can go to the big boat in the sky. The 7 ghosts each have a problem that you must solve to release the curse on them. I also found that a bit repetitive, but the stories had a nice variety. When all the ghosts had been released, you got a piece of the map.

In the sea monsters stage, you had to find the perfect combination to destroy the monsters. I found the combinations were amusing, and taught how to find the right combination by using deductive reasoning. If you were guessing randomly, it would tell you there was over 600 combinations in total.    

The game also taught scientific definitions. Like Agar,   deductive reasoning, Petrie dish, constants, independent variables, and dependant variables. Mostly through song. This made it easy to remember with a catchy tune, and not just memorizing words and definitions.  

In conclusion, I think the game was very amusing and educational. It had a bit of mature content, (shooting canons) so I suggest the game for grade 7 or 8. The games all had very scientific features, but a fun atmosphere. The game ended with basically a review of all the things you had learned. I think all students at sometime should play this game!           

This game is a cool game. I’ve played better and I have defiantly have played worse.

This game taught me a lot about science and what you can do in science, for instance you can form a experiment with constants, independent variables and dependant variables.

This game is defiantly school appropriate because you can learn a lot about science and forming a hypothesis and forming an experiment.

In this game you have to make cannonball and you have to use a certain metal, effect, coating, and something to do with using spikes. (I forget what it is called)

It really helped your brain because you had to just change 1 variable at a time. Like you would have to go through all the metal section first, which would be iron, brass, copper, bronze, silver, and gold. Then see which one gave you the highest percentage.

Then you would move on to the next column, which would be using the spikes which would be short spikes, long spikes, hooks, and barbs and you could also use no spikes. Then which ever one would give you the highest percentage.

Then you would move on to effect which would be blast effect, chill effect, shock effect, poison gas, and also you could use no effect. Then you could move onto your last section which would be coating, there was no coating, pirate spit, molasses, lye, seaweed. Then all-in-all you would see which ones had 100% and then you would kill the monster that came after you killed the little monster with the cannonball. If the monster came to close you could hit a barrel of T.N.T. (Dynamite)

Another part was that you had to help a monkey run across concrete blocks and he had to go a certain place on the blocks to get a diamond shape.

You would have a banana, which made the monkey turn right, an apple, which made the monkey turn left, a pineapple which made the monkey jump over the empty spaces, a grape which made the monkey jump to get the coins that were floating in the air, and also a blender which blended what you needed to blend cause if you needed to jump and then turn right you would just have to put in a banana and then a pineapple or the other way around.

All in all it was a awesome game and it was a lot of fun, especially listening to the hermit and the rats that were singing.

A lot of fun,

For the game that the students in E.W.G got to play, they found it was very enjoyable and educating. It taught you about your variables, your constants, experimenting, and a lesson about hygiene. They could have learned all that in the classroom without the game, but the way they would have learnt that wouldn’t have been the same. The game introduced a new, fun way to look at making tables and piecing together puzzles that in school would have seemed boring and uninteresting. It explained everything in steps that made it very easy to follow, and added in a few fun songs that helped you remember what you needed to do.

In the game, you learn about the deductive reason by trying to make the perfect bomb to defeat an evil sea-queen, and only from trial and error can you get it right. It shows you how in an experiment like the bomb one, that you have to try again and again switching around the material and seeing which combination works best.

Also it tells you that if you don’t wash your hands with soap and water for at least twenty seconds that the bacteria on your hands will multiply by the millions. It shows how bacteria works in the most basic sense and where bacteria lives, and how most are harmless. The game tells you about how bacteria grows inside of you and is good for you but how some bacteria can make you very sick if it gets inside of you. Also you learn how if you touch something with your hand and then touch something else, you are transferring bacteria.

The game helped with puzzles as well when you had to get your monkey to a certain place without him falling off and tumbling into oblivion. It helped you think ahead and plan like an actual experiment.

I believe that kids would really like this game seeing as it is an inventive way to teach kids about science, making experiments and such. It is a great way to learn new things about science and I think kids in middle schools would really like the chance to try it out.

Science Pirates review

I would have to say that the purchase of this educational game would be highly recommended.

This game has explained what a hypothesis is and the different from an independent variable and an independent variable. The independent variable relies on nothing yet the dependent variable relies on the independent variable. In this I learnt the constants are the things that stay the same like the time or the person ect. Also I had a better understanding of the process of elimination and deductive reasoning for keeping one variable while testing it with others and picking the best out of those then continuing with that for the rest of the game.

In this game I was taught what a ager is used to feed the bacteria and let it grow until the bacteria is visible to the human eye. And of what is the best way to be rid of germs also how germs can be passed around For the songs I would have too say that the one with the hermit and the two rats was probably the only nifty one for the other songs they song weren’t as good as they could have been. That was the games only weak spot. Overall it is a fun way of learning.

This game was fun and you did learn a little but most of the stuff I already knew and I got through the game with ease. I say this game should be put for lower grades. It was fun and I enjoyed it but I think the game would have been more fun if I did not know any of this stuff already. I would suggest that this game enter the school curriculum because it shows step by step on how to perform an experiment. It told me that deductive reasoning can tell me which object or in this case weapon would destroy the sea monster. I really enjoyed playing this game.

One thing I did not know was what agar was. “It is a jelly like substance in a dish.” Agar is used to multiply bacteria. It acts as food for the bacteria and it lets the bacteria grow and multiply. When it multiplies it will be far easier to see.

One other thing I was not completely sure on was the scientific method. I was not sure what step goes first. I did not know the difference between a hypothesis (intelligent guess) and a fact.

Like I already said before the game covers all the basics. How to test a experiment, how to make an intelligent guess, and how to make a experiment chart. This game helps a lot and it should be played in all science classes in Canada.

Yes, I think that this game should be available to all middle school students in the province because it’s not only a lot of fun to play, it also helps you understand many things about science. In the game you are a pirate and you are trying to solve the curse of captain BrownBeard. To break the curse you have to play games involving scientifical matters, such as making a bomb to kill monsters, it also teachers you what constants are and what independent and dependent variables are. There are also video’s every time you get a piece of the map. To break BrownBeard’s curse you have to find the map to his island , you will receive one piece of the map every time you finish a game, the map consists of five pieces. This game really helped me understand what independent and dependant variables are. Independent variables are the results you have, it’s the result. The dependants variable is the cause , the thing that you would use for example, if you were to do an experiment to see what object would take the less time to dig up the treasures, say you used a shovel, a pitch fork , a pirate hat and a coconut shell. The shovel, pitch fork, pirate hat and coconut shell are your causes, because that’s what causes your results. In the game it also mentions stuff about bacteria, in two of the videos they talk about the bacteria that are bad and good for you. It also talks about washing your hands and what way is the best way to wash your hands.

The game of science pirates is very acknowledging, and entertaining. It was educational about variables and independent variables. In the game they used a saying to remember which one was the variable and the independent variable by saying “I change the independent variable”. It also educated you of constants, (variables that don’t change). As a pirate you were to make hypothesis, you also have to pick which are hypothesis and which are questions from a list that the other pirates had created. The game was based on pirates who had been cursed by BrownBeard everyone was very sick and they wanted you to break the curse. Through out the game you had to face many challenges in which you were to use your scientific knowledge and do things such as experiment with what type of materials you needed to defeat the sea monsters. To do so you had a variety of materials in different categories and you had to pick which were the better working materials in each category. There was many other challenges like so, also there was videos singing about how it’s important to wash your hands and those type things. In the end they were not cursed by BrownBeard, but they were not washing their hands correctly and that’s what caused them to be sick.

I think this game would help science students learn science subjects in a fun way.

We learned about deductive reasoning, deductive reasoning is when you choose to change one variable at a time to find the solution. Independent variables are the variables that change on there own, dependent variables are variables that change with the independent variables so when you add water to iced tea it will get watered down, so the independent variable is that you pour water into the glass with iced tea and the dependant variable is when you pour water the iced tea gets more watered down. The constant is where is that there is the same amount of iced tea in the cup that you pour water into. The people who played this game ignored the learning songs, so I would get rid of the songs and get them to learn by playing the game. My favorite part was when you have to eliminate the sea monsters, doing this gave a useful tip of advice they say we should use deductive reasoning, deductive reasoning is a lot easier that just guessing. This game was instructional and scientific, because we learned many things like we use Petri dishes and agar to find colonies of bacteria. We also learned about hypotheses, independent variables, dependent variables and the constants. I think this game is fun, enjoyable, and appropriate. The game gave us a lot of information and I hope that the students in grade eight will continue to play the game science pirates.

Science pirates: the curse of Brown beard-

I have learned the methods of washing your hands properly and like the constants and variables like the cause and effect. I really didn’t mind playing the game but I didn’t really like the songs, they were annoying to me because they were really squeaky and really cheerful when you don’t like cheerful happy songs coming from mice and tiki things about science, but they were actually useful in the end. What I came across in the game was funny and gross like what better materials that can clog holes that leaked into the boat, what can help bad breath, wash the grim off the deck on the ship, and in the end we (I) got to fight weird looking sea monsters and then get to see what was in the locked door downstairs on the ship. Then I found out the curse wasn’t a curse at all, it was just that the pirates weren’t washing their hands properly so when they ate something or touched their mouth in any way they got sick because of the germs. I think that this game would be more useful to an elementary school than a middle school particular because we (us) students have already learned many of these ways in science. The game would be a lot more entertaining and useful for younger ones, so while their having fun playing the game they are also learning.

While I played the Science Pirate Game I learned a few things I didn’t know at the beginning of the game. Also I now comprehend things better than I did before about the scientific experiment and the independent variables and so on. Such as, that in a scientific experiment there are three groups.

1) The constant; the things that are always the same.

2) The independent variable; the things that change but are the reason for our conclusion.

3) The dependent variable; the things that rely on the independent variable that change.

Other things that were mentioned in the game that I didn’t exactly comprehend before, that I learned was how exactly to conduct a scientific experiment report chart, I knew before somewhat of how to do it, I knew that you had to make a chart to show what you did but I didn’t know about the effect with the constants, the independent and dependent variable, well not very well, but I do now. I’m sure my teachers have told me about them, but I didn’t get it as well as I should have , and I probably just nodded my head as if I actually knew what they were talking about. Now as I played this game, I conducted a scientific experiment, many actually, like how the monkey turned right when he ate a banana, left when he ate an apple, up when he ate grapes, jumped over when he ate pineapple, and when two were mixed together and he ate them he did both. Also while I was fighting off evil sea monsters, I had to make a cannonball that could kill it. So I tried each ball by itself to see which one had the most impact then after I found out that and I locked in my answer, I went to see which other things could help me and replicated what I had done before and finally I had killed all the sea monsters with such ease.

All in all, I learned a lot from this game, and sure it may not be the most exciting game there is for a grade eight student but I think a lot of them would have chosen this over writing notes and hearing lectures on science, not that I mind doing all that stuff I mean it’s cool for a while but the game was a nice change and I’m sure all of my other classmates enjoyed it just as much as I did, if not more.

Case of Brown Beard’s Curse

Throughout this game I have learned a lot of different things. For one, everyone should wash there hands properly, with soap and water for 20 seconds. At the first of this game I thought I’d hate it, because its science. Just another school subject. Well, as I kept on playing the game it didn’t feel like just science. It seemed like just another game but, at the same time learning as well. After we finished the game I learned a lot more stuff about science. Now that I have played the game, it’s kind of more interesting and I might grow up to become a scientist.

Before I played this game sometimes I would think that washing your hands is a waste of time, but now what I seen gets on your hands. I wash my hands all of the time. Also I’ve always put my hands in my mouth biting my nails and playing with my teeth. Now I never ever put my hands in my mouth, after I seen what I saw that’s on your hands it makes me want to puke of all the times I did it before. As a kid I always used to watch the commercial “don’t you put it in your mouth” now I understand why.

In The Case of Brown Beard’s Curse I learned about hypothesis and dependant variables and independent variables and constant. I also learned all about colonies of bacteria. You should always wash your hands and if you never washed them make sure you don’t put them in your mouth. Sometimes people can get sick if they don’t take showers, and wash there hands with soap and water. Always remember to wash up. It feels so much better after you do.

As I already told you we learned all about the dependent variable and independent variable and the constant. At the first I kind of understood what those meant, but after the game I understood it very well. Now I now what

I’m actually doing and science is more interesting then it was before.

As I said at the first of the game I didn’t really understand science, but after we played the game, it’s like I knew science all along. If you really suck at science like myself. You should really play this game you can even play it at home, it will help your grades and also you get to learn the methods of washing your hands. I know, I know. It doesn’t sound fun but once you get playing, it actually is a very fun game. I’d rather be playing this game in science class then sitting there and listening to the teachers talk about it, or write notes, or make you work. All I’m trying to say is this game is a good way to learn science without getting bored. And please remember.

WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP

Science Pirates Review

Science Pirates is a very well made game and would help middle school students in science alot. It shows you what and independent variable is and what a dependant variable is also it shows you what a cause and effect is, but I have to say that I didn’t like the music to much it didn’t sound like pirate music at all and it distracted me sometimes. Also the game shows you what a constant variable is and many other things. I liked the fact the game was fun and at the same time teaches you about science. At a scale from 1 to 10 I’d rate this game at an 8.

Science Pirates Review

Science Pirates is a very well made game and would help middle school students in science alot. It shows you what and independent variable is and what a dependant variable is also it shows you what a cause and effect is, but I have to say that I didn’t like the music to much it didn’t sound like pirate music at all and it distracted me sometimes. Also the game shows you what a constant variable is and many other things. I liked the fact the game was fun and at the same time teaches you about science. I really like the part of the game where you would make the monkey go left, right and jump over or up by making it eat bananas, smoothies and so on, I would have to say that’s the best part of the whole game. At a scale from 1 to 10 I would rate this game at an 8.

Science Pirates: The Curse of Brown Beard is a great learning experience for students of most ages, a game full of catchy songs great characters, and learning, when you don’t really realize that you are. It would be better for younger students for using the methods taught, but even the oldest of students can most likely learn something from this game. It teaches about constants and variables like cause and effects. The game can be challenging, but is not so difficult you can’t get through it. There are many games that you play, that help you learn, some are much more interesting then others, and some more challenging, but you still learn either way. There are also songs that help you to go on with the next steps, the help from the songs, help you learn and get you ready for the next games. Some of the characters are there to help you learn too, they can really be help, if you remember what they say. With their great personalities, the awesome songs, and the fun games, this game is both educational and fun. Some of the things I learned are that cause and effects are constants and variables, I also learned about the meaning of hypothesis in a more detailed way. “It’s more than just and educated guess” is a direct quote from one of the amazing songs, that helped me learn the meaning of hypothesis in an extremely easy to follow way. I also learned a lot of bacteria, and how the best way to wash your hands is with soap and water and you should wash your hands often to prevent being sick. All in all, I find this game is extremely fun, and extremely educational.

When the students in the eighth grade at Eleanor W. Graham Middle School learned that they were playing a fun game for science, I think a lot of them were skeptical about just how fun it was going to be. Well, I did anyway. But as most times, I was wrong.

The game we played was called Science Pirates. I thought it was going to be another boring game that just told you everything as though you were reading from a boring old text book. But Science Pirates was different from most of the other games that we’ve played in school. It let us actually experience things so we could understand them better.

When you start out, you are a pirate, and all of these pirates around you are sick. They want you to fix the curse of Capitan Brown Beard, and make them feel better. So from there, you go into a cave, and listen about washing your hands and the importance of hygiene. Also, about how you need to wash your hand for at least 20 seconds, or else the bacteria will multiply! When I was listening to this, I felt that the grade 6’s should listen to it, because their bathrooms are disgusting and I’m pretty sire a lot of them don’t wash their hands. Then, once you’ve listened to the singing Tiki’s, you learn that you need to “Wash Your Hands!” (In a barber shop quartet type way) Then, once you’ve listened, you get a piece of the map.

Then, we went into another part of the island, and found lots of ghosts. The ghosts’ would have problems, that they would want you to do an experiment on. For example, one was that the Capitan’s stairs were full of algae, and he needed them cleaned. So, he had a table that had the same amount of time, same washer, and same amount of cleaner. There were four different cleaners, and we would click one, and see what the results were. From there, we would fill in the table, of which things were constants, which were dependant variables, and which was the independent variable. The Constant is the things that stayed the same throughout the experience. (same amount of time, same washer, and same amount of cleaner) The dependant variables are the effect of the independent variable which is the cause. By doing this part of the game, we learned valuable information, and what Constants and Variables were.

After we accomplished everything on the ghosts, we had to defeat the evil sea queens, by making bombs by trial and error. Once we did that, we moved on to a part, where we had to direct a monkey through the maze to get to a gem. We did 10 levels of this, and then we got to get more pieces of the map! But at the end, it turned out that everyone was sick because they had bad hygiene. So they were all stupid basically. And really un kept. So really, the lesson was that they need to keep themselves healthy, by washing their hands and cleaning themselves more often.

I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys learning about science, and also to the grade 6’s in the school who need to learn how to “Wash Their Hands, Wash Their Hands, Wash Their Hands, Or They’ll Get Sick” according to the Barber shop Quartet Tikis. :)