Copyright (c) 2014 by YA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
YA -- Blogmeister

5A

by YA

teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2010-2011)

Polio 05/17/11
Heart Dissection 04/18/11
RM 04/05/11
My cat 03/28/11
I am from 03/28/11
My most honest moment 03/28/11
Deltas – The Beautiful End of a River 02/17/11
Number Line 11/30/10
Place Value 11/04/10
My Reading Log Wordle 11/02/10
Typing 12/02/09

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 321

Paralyzing Pain

I am a neurologist

new-ro-lo-gist) .My job is to cure people with diseases in the Nervous System ,which includes the brain ,the spinal cord, and the nerves .I work in a hospital, and I am specialized in patients with polio.

Nervous System

The job of the Nervous System is to control all activities in your body! It does so by sending to and from the brain. The messages go from the nerves then to the spinal cord finally to the brain (that is how the messages travel.) and back again.PNS stands for (Peripheral Nervous System ) (per-if-eral) CNS stands for (Central Nervous System)ANS stands for (Autonomic Nervous System) (o-to-no-mic) .

The PNS: Nerves that go to the outer part of your body.

The CNS: That includes the brain and spinal cord.

The ANS: Is the smaller part of the PNS it is the nerves that reach close to the inner part of your body.

Did you know that

Polio is only in four countries now?

Parts of the Nervous System

The Central Nervous System (CNS) consists of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. The job of the brain is to control the body. The job of the Spinal Cord is to receive messages from the nerves and send the to the brain. The job of the nerves is to send the

messages. The Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) includes the, Motor Nerve Cell (MNC) and the Sensory Nerve Cells (SNC). Messages travel from neurons to neurons theres a space between them called "Synapse."

Did you know that

Polio cannot

be cured?

Problem / Symptoms

The polio virus attacks nerve cells .These control the muscles of the legs, arms,trunk, diaphragm, abdomen, and pelvis. A diaphragm: is a sheet of muscle that separates the cavities of the chest. Abdomen: is the part of the body between the chest and the hips.

Pelvis: A basin shaped structure in the skeleton of many vertebrate formed by the pelvis girdle and the nearby bones of the spine.

Causes

Polio causes nerve cells to die. Children

Get it often. Some people that are infected show no symptoms at all. Polio incubate period can last from four to thirty-five days.

Incubate: is to maintain (as bacteria or a chemically active system)under conditions good for development or reaction.

Affecting the system

Polio affects nerves to die. It damages the brain and the spinal neurons. It often leads to permanent paralysis. It hits the spinal cord and brain (the neurons that send messages to the brain.)The virus will kill the neurons which can affect any limb.

The Causes

Polio is a virus that is transmitted through drinking dirty liquids containing germs. Sharing food with an infected person and from the stool. The doctor asks a list of questions and examines the patient.

Treatment

Although the symptoms of Polio can be treated by medicine, polio cannot be cured. You can prevent getting polio with a vaccination. The polio vaccine has to be taken over 4 doses. The vaccine will stop the patient from getting the disease. Studies showed

that 99% of the people who get the vaccine, don’t get polio.

.1 dose at 2 months.

.1 dose at 4 months.

.1 dose at 6-8 months.

.A booster dose at 4-6 years.

Did you know that

the Polio Vaccine is taken over 4 doses?

Conclusion

I have learned a lot from the disease Polio and how does it affect the children in general in all the world. I learned also the importance of teaching mothers about taking care of their kids by giving them the vaccine on time in order to save their children’s life. Thanks to Rotary Clubs that collected enough money to provide vaccination to all kids .

Thanks to them the disease is not spreading any more .

Bibliography:

Information:

Hecht, Alan, and I. Edward Alcamo.

Polio . Philadelphia: Chelsea House Pub., 2003.

World Book focus on terrorism

Grandfather

. Chicago: World Book, 2003.

Images:

http://assets.treesd.com/images/healthtree/articles/ht_polio_poliomyelitis_0427_01.jpg

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/8680.jpg

Dr. YA, MD

Polio:

I am glad that I am a neurologist, even though I didn’t really like it in the beginning. But then I got more interested in Polio especially when I learned that it affects mainly children that are poor and live in far areas where they cannot the vaccination. Four countries in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Nigeria. I got some information from my grandfather because he is a pediatric who gave vaccinations to thousands of kids. I was lucky to see him giving the vaccine to my sister and to many other kids.

Job of the Neurologist

Article posted April 18, 2011 at 08:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 99

The Dissection of the Heart

Students observed the dissection of the heart and lungs of a sheep, and dissected a sheep heart, as part of the science unit on the circulatory/cardiovascular system. Ms. Salem conducted the dissection.  This is a piece of writing that was conference twice with her

How does the heart feel like? Ever wondered what are the lungs like? How do you blow through the lungs? How is the heart shaped? How are the lungs shaped like? We dissected a sheep’s heart in class couple of days ago Miss Salem dissected it we were studying about Circulatory System.

When we saw plastic covers on the table, we knew that Mrs. Salem was going to dissect the heart .Mrs. Salem is the teacher next door she dissect the heart because she knows how to open it and stuff. I was so elated! I wondered what the heart would look like.Mrs. Salem came to our class and the dissection started Mrs. Salem blew into the trachea and the lungs inflated while she was blowing. It was so cool! Then she took the heart out. It was bloody and she let us touch the parts of the heart and feel them .When I touched the aorta (the biggest vessel) it felt slimy then she let us touch the cordetas (they are like strings.)They make small noises .After a bit the dissection was done.Mrs. Noshie told us “you’re going to dissect hearts in yourself. It was like the best day ever..I was with Suh-hye, Ghazi and Jeremy. We had so much fun on squeezing the heart.

In the dissection with Mrs. Salem my friend though it was awesome but I thought it was sick to be honest when Mrs. Salem opened the heart, it was soo disgusting there was blood coming out . But we did have fun.

Next we are studying about the brain It was the best dissection ever I hope we will dissect the brain.

March 2011

Article posted April 5, 2011 at 10:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 38

file:///C:DOCUME~1�9-2208LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:DOCUME~1�9-2208LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" />

file:///C:DOCUME~1�9-2208LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_themedata.thmx" target="_blank">file:///C:DOCUME~1�9-2208LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_themedata.thmx" rel="themeData" />

file:///C:DOCUME~1�9-2208LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:DOCUME~1�9-2208LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_colorschememapping.xml" rel="colorSchemeMapping" />

RM is nice.

RM is my best friend.

RM is cute.

RM is pretty.

RM is talented.

RMis always by my side.

RM is cool.

RM is like my sister.

RM has a warm heart.

RM is AWSOME!

RM  is funny.

RMis an angel.

And I love RM.

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

My Cat

So much depends

Upon

My cute gray

Cat

That is so

Fluffy

And very

Adorable

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 50

I am from the sound of the waves splashing on the shore and shells you find in the soft wet sand.

I am from a teacher that puts classic music every single morning except for weekends, from a wrestling sister that’s hits me every single day and night even on holidays and my birthday and from the barking dogs when the doorbell rings. I am from the land of candy delicious soft and tasty, from “YARA DO YOUR HOMEWORK NOW”, from a shouting maid, from vomiting mashed potato on my mom.

I am from Dubai, from falling snow and from cloudy skies.

I am from ringing bells at seven o’clock, from sleeping at my grandma’s house when I am sick and from an angry sister.

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 55

I was walking on the Corniche I saw a 100 dollar bill on the floor. I wanted to take it and buy something with it. But then I thought about it and I decided not to because it’s not fair if someone takes my 100 dollar bill and buys something with it. So I went around asking people if it was theirs. Everybody said no, I was about to give up until I heard som eone saying “I lost my 100 dollar bill, has anyone seen it?”So I looked at the money in my hand I went up to him and said “Sir, is this yours?”He looked at the money and then looked at me and said “Thank you for finding my money.”I replied “It’s nothing.”I was very happy that I was honest. 

Article posted February 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 132

There are so many in this world. One of them is at the mouth of the Mississippi it is shaped like a bird’s foot .I am going to give you a clue it starts with a ‘D’. It’s a Delta!!!! Delta is formed by deposition.

Formation

A delta is an area of land shaped like a triangle where a river deposits sediment such as mud, sand and pebbles as the river enters the sea.

When a river flows to the sea, it brings with it a lot of sand and silt that it has picked up on its journey. Where a river ends and it flows, in the sea it is called “Rivers Mouth.”This is where the river flows to another river, lake or sea. It suddenly starts flowing slow. It is longer capable of carrying its loads that’s what they call sediments in a river. Some people live on deltas .The soil is very good for farming.

Location

Deltas are found in the end of huge rivers like the Mississippi River or the Nile River for example.

What Will Happen in The Future?

I think what will happen in the future is the Nile River delta will become wider and the Mississippi delta will become longer because after a long time the water will push and the delta will become bigger or wider .

The Most Famous Ones

The most famous ones are the Nile River delta and the Mississippi River delta, but the most famous one from both is the Mississippi delta because it’s shaped like a bird’s foot and the other deltas don’t have shapes.

Delta is a very interesting subject to learn about before I thought it was boring, but at the end it’s actually fun. I hope you like deltas. Now you learned about them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31371840@N06/5145695312/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/31371840@N06/5145695312/" title="Yara by ACS5A, on Flickr">Yara

We did our number lines on Halloween. I choose my teacher's name Miss Noshie. We had so much fun when we did the number lines.

Article posted November 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 38

From 5A Readling Log Wordles