Copyright (c) 2014 by Ms. A. Swift Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

Ms. Swift's Tech Spot

This year in Practical and Applied Arts students will be learning about Technology. On this blog I will post videos and articles from class, project ideas, and information about our progress as a group. Visit us often! Students will write about their TIL (Today I Learned) facts, projects, and possibly share some of their work! To view a student's blog please find "Technology PAA" on the right side of the page. Select the student whose work you would like to check out. Please leave us comments and compliments :)

by Ms. A. Swift

Khan Academy
Kim Brown's Blog
Wordle
Blog Challenge Ideas
Flaming Text
Photo Peach
Call Me Hannah
We Day

For the last PAA technology class of this cycle please work on finishing your remaining blog assignments, and self assessing your blog using the rubric provided in class.  Please keep in mind the examples of an A, B, C, and D level blog that we looked at two weeks ago.

Afterwards you have 3 options for today:

1) Read and comment on teacher and student blogs.

2) Try doing something you haven't had a chance to do in PAA yet (Wordle, Flaming Text, Khan Academy, etc)

3) Gears activity on the back table.

Last Sunday I was listening to this show on the radio and I made a connection!  Hannah Alper, a grade 4 student, uses her blog CallMeHannah.ca to try to change the world by making it more environmentally friendly.  Her well written and informative blog is becoming famous and she has had some cool opportunities as a result.  For example, she attended We Day this year, was interviewed on the radio, and got to meet some celebrities.  This is another example of a young person using technology to make her community a better place!

You have been given a lot of freedom to post things that interest you on your blog.  Some people in our technology class like to post about robots, computers, music, games, books, and so on.  Some people are also posting anti-bullying messages that can help shape our school and the world.  Keep it up everyone!  There are so many negative messages out there that I am proud of you for being positive voices online!

Check out this video to learn more about We Day!

Article posted November 23, 2012 at 07:10 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 50

This cool article is all about how kids from Ethiopia used their own ingenuity to figure out how to use computers, write, and speak English.

The following video is about a 15 year-old boy from Africa who creates electronic devices to help his community out of things he finds in the garbage.

This article and video made me wonder, what problems in our community could be solved by young people using technology?  Leave your thoughts in the comments below.

Check out this elaborate Halloween lights display!  How do you think they used technology to create this display?  Please discuss in the comments.

Article posted October 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM GMT • comment • Reads 197

Logo Design by FlamingText.com

Logo Design by FlamingText.com

Welcome to Ms. Swift's Tech Spot! I have used this blog in the past to give students an opportunity to share their writing, singing, and artwork. I also use this blog for sharing videos and ideas! This year my Practical and Applied Art students will get a chance to tell us what they are learning and perhaps show off their work!

For our first blog entry, I would like you to tell me (and the rest of the class) about something you dream of doing with technology. I have included my entry below to give you an idea of what I am looking for. This is your chance to practice making an entry to your blog. Hopefully we can get it to work for everyone!

Please remember NOT to include ANY personal information such as names (of yourself, friends, or family members), places, etc. and don't forget to proof-read your work before submitting it. If you need to use spell check, you can type out your article in a Word document first and then copy and paste it into your blog. Try to be as descriptive as you can in your writing.

When you have finished, take some time to check out the blogs of others in our class. Leave them comments if you want to but make sure they are well thought out and positive! All comments will be approved by the teacher before being posted.

Ms. Swift’s First Blog Entry

I think it would be fun to start a blog or tumblr to keep track of the memorable things that students say at school. For example, last week I overheard two really young students talking while waiting in line to enter the school. The conversation went like this,

Boy 1: I want to marry a Megatron, or some other Transformer, so he can pick me up!

Boy 2: I want to marry a carrot because carrots are awesome!

One of the things I love about teaching is watching students learn. These boys knew that marriage is something positive that you enter into because of feelings of love. However, they hadn’t quite figured out how it works yet. Everyday my students say honest, thoughtful, cleaver, witty things that I would like to share with the world. I am interested in learning more about technology from my students. I think they have good ideas, and cool things to teach me. I look forward to learning with them!

If you need inspiration check out this video to learn what kids can do with technology!

Article posted October 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 127

To begin your blog think of a school appropriate and safe username.  Bring your name to Ms. Swift on your index card and you can get a password.  Log in to your blog using the instructions provided for this assignment.  Please keep in mind the following Computer Use Contract that was signed at the beginning of the year.  This contract applies to all classes, not just PAA. 

Computer Use Contract

Computer accounts are being made available to students for school work purposes only. It is the responsibility of every student to follow these regulations.  

1. Do not use a computer to harm others or their work.

2. Do not damage the computer or the network in any way.

3. Do not install illegal software, shareware or freeware.

4. Do not violate copyright laws.

5. Do not share your student account or password with another person.

6. Do not plagiarize.

7. Do not enter chat rooms.

8. Do not enter any inappropriate sites

Keep in mind that these rules are here to protect you and the other students in our school.  Watch this video about sharing personal information online.  What do you think they are trying to tell us in this video?  Please write your thoughts in the comments below.

Researchers at Stranford University have found that harvester ants use a system for finding food that is similar to the protocols that control traffic on the internet.  They are calling it the "anternet".  

This video shows the complex systems of tunnels that ants create underground.  While it is super cool to see what the tunnels look like, it is mean to wipe out whole colonies of ants for the project.  What are your thoughts?

Article posted October 10, 2012 at 06:10 AM GMT • comment • Reads 130

Today I learned about digital citizenship.  This video remind us that we should act the same way online as we do in person.  We should take responsibilty for how we act online.  We should keep our safety and our future in mind.  Enjoy!

Technology PAA 1
Technology PAA 2