Copyright (c) 2014 by C Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
C -- Blogmeister

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by C teacher: Derek Milloy

Article posted May 27, 2010 at 02:45 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 115

Mrs. Smith's a Hit!

Mrs. Smith was surely a hit, and she always will be. She was a really good music teacher, and she has a heart of gold. She is very thoughtful, and I really love that about her, and even though I've only known her for at least 2 and a half years, I know I'm not going to forget her. So, now that she is retiring and I'm not going to see her next year, I'm sad. Oh, I'm sure that everybody is sad, Mrs. Smith has been teaching in our school for like, so many years! She has a lot of experience, and she is musically talented and she expresses it beautifully! My wish for Mrs. Smith is that she has a great time enjoying her retirement, since she has contributed on our school ALOT, she deserves getting pampered!

I am truly going to miss Mrs. Smith, one of the BEST music teachers of all time. Thank you.

Article posted May 21, 2010 at 02:29 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 69

Dealing With Peer Pressure.

*How are your choices/actions influenced by your peers?

- Well, I think that most of my choices/actions are affected by my peers but they are so subtle and natural that I don't notice it. But, I think that my peers influence me in a positive way. My choices/actions are influenced by my peers when I see them doing something planning to do something; I do it too, since they're doing it too. Like that one time when it was silent reading and I had nothing to do, but when I looked at Audrem, I saw that she was reading hen I remember my book, and I read too! Also, some of my choices/actions are influenced by my peers is when they persuade me to do something, then it's so convincing I do it. There's this trick that my peers use to me that most of times work, they want me to do something (like, wait for them when they're doing something like, tying their shoe laces, or they have to get something, or when they're late at changing) and then I get something back in return.

*How can you make sure that your peers influence you in a positive way?

- I can make sure by thinking it over first, then ask myself these questions: "Is this a bad choice?", "Is this going to hurt anyone?", "Will I get in trouble for this?"; "Is it really necessary for me to do this?” These questions are saying that it's really up to me to know better or more likely, to use my common sense. If my peers are affecting my choices/actions in a bad way, I'll probably talk about it with them. But if they don't understand that it's not good, then I guess their not really my friends. Since they don't understand and I think that if I keep on hanging out with them that they're going to do more bad decisions that will affect me in a negative way.

Now, I agree on the website kidshelp.org with the article about peer pressure: [LINK].

I think that it's true; we all want to fit in, so peer pressure gets to us. We also, want to be liked, I know I do! I mean, do you want some one to think that you’re mean and be afraid of you? No, didn't think so too. So, we all do this "thing" because a cool/popular kid does it, and everyone is too. But have you given much thought about it? Did you think it through? Is it a bad idea or a good one? Those are great questions to ask yourself in these tough times, especially when your about to give in to peer pressure. I also think that everyone has a good common sense, so use it. Are you going to smoke cigarettes, do drugs, cut class, or even treat your parents and siblings badly, just because it's something your friends said? NO, you're not, you know way better than to do that. And if you're friends are being like that, then I suggest that you go find some other pals to hang out with, people who know better, like you, to make wise decisions.

Saying "No" will be hard when you're saying no to one of your best friends when they ask you something. It's very hard because on one side, you don't want to let your friend down, and on the other, you know it's wrong to. For example, one of your best friends asked you to do their homework for him/her, because they don't get it and you do. On one hand, you don't want to let your friend down, and on the other you know you can't do their homework for them because they're not going to learn anything, plus you're just that lazy. Well, what do you do? You say "NO" because in times like this, you can't give in to peer pressure, and you know it. Trust me, I've been there, I keep in doing these favors, then one day I said no! And it felt great! But, make sure to not say "No" ALL the time, since most of the times giving in to peer pressure are good. (If they're leading to positive actions)

So, think about this next time you come close of giving in to peer pressure.

The pounding of the rain seemed endless when doing a 10 kilometer walk that is also endless.

Hoods up, hats on, jackets zipped, soggy clothes, sore legs, with a side of pouring rain and the constant thump of the steps. That is how it was going down when we went and/or walk to Burnaby Lake.

Now at first I didn't think that I could walk 10 kilometers and that I'll collapse halfway there the second the Field Trip Information sheet was place on my desk. But here I am, blogging about it, 6 days later, and just a day after that too-far-of-a-walk thing we did. I LIVED. Well, of course I knew I was going to live, I was just glad that I wasn't that close to have to get my legs cut off because of the continuous walk that will lead to sore legs, very sore legs.

Although, it wasn't that bad. I'm not a brat who screams and complains whenever there's just a tinnee tiny bit of an issue that even a kindergarten could fix. No. Not. At. ALL.

Hey, at least we didn't eat in the rain! Heh, we had cover, thanks to that little building/washroom/a place to go and eat dryly when it's pouring rain and all the picnic tables our soaking wet.

Buggity Bug Hunting! Well, that one was fun! Unfortunately me and Audrem didn't catch anything, (not even a beetle or an ant! Gohd, I think me and Audrem should get an award for this) so, I don't think me and Audrem's profession will land on a entomology. But, even though, we still had fun, and we got to look at other people's bugs, (since that was all we could do because we didn't catch any) the insects that we're there, as far, as I can remember we're spiders, tree insects, flies, ants, centipede, and last but not least beetles! YAY! But at the end, SOMEONE "claimed" they "saw" a bear, irrelevant really, I mean a bear, really? While we're like 5 feet away from where they "claimed" they saw it. Like a bear wouldn't sense that. Pfft, *COUGH Shalvin COUGH* so I new better than run after them, instead I stayed where I was standing at and waited until they all came back and realize that they were WRONG.

Scavenger Hunt Halt! So we wouldn't get bored, Mr. Milloy assigned a scavenger hunt, he gave us a list of things that we need to find. Some of the things that were on the list are Devil's Club, Salmonberries, and Slugs. I think I found most of them, though I'll check.

Now, there was this one particular animal you'll never forget the name and the appearance of. And they're called SLUGS, I mean JESUS! They’re practically every where, let me re-phrase that THEY ARE every where. And it's really hard not to step on them when you're walking continuously and they're scattered all over the ground, and to tell you the truth... I ALOMOST not quite but ALMOST stepped on one...well, fine so what if I DID step on it? I don't even think that I did, since my shoe only landed like about 2.5 millimeters away from its tail...or head, I couldn't quite see the difference. Don't blame me! It was black! In the middle of the road! And it was pouring rain, plus, who decided to risk his/her life away by thinking it was alright to go in the middle of the path and possibly get stepped on by an I don't know, SOME ONE! Then again, I was the one who was stepping into their home, because technically park is their homes not mine... OKAY! Never mind that, however, I am sorry for doing that should have been more aware of my surroundings.

We also saw beaver dams! I think I saw like 5 of them. They were HUGE! I totally didn't expect that, also we saw an eagle's nest! But we didn't actually see an eagle. But it was good. AND THEN THEY WERE GOOSE. We saw ALOT of geese and some baby little goslings! CUTE! They were ALOT of them...explains why there were so many poo. But, they were also the only animals apart from the insects, which stayed at least 2 feet of us. Thank you! There were also those loons, good times, good times.

Even though we walked endlessly, it was worth it. ALL OF IT. So, I would like to thank Mr. Milloy, Ms. Stephens, Diana's mom, and Diana's Aunt! Also, my fellow classmates! Thank you all for making the Trip to Burnaby Lake possible.

Who knows? Maybe I'll walk 10 kilometers again. And when I do, I'll be thinking of this.

Article posted May 14, 2010 at 02:15 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 78

[LINK]" rel="File-List" />

Watching The Story of Stuff has sure given me something to think about. It talks about how stuff is changing our lives and our environment, also, things that I never knew. Annie talks in detail about how stuff what happens to stuff, how it gets produced, distributed consummated, and its disposal. But one thing I never knew is that is seems like Corporations takes care of us, but isn't that the government's job?  Of course it is, but now it seems like the corporation is taking over the government's job, on how we shop and shop like crazy.

Well, that’s weird because I like to shop too, but do we know what happens and what happened to the stuff we buy? First of all I learned that it goes through a process the first one is Extraction followed by Production, Distribution, Consumption, and Disposal.

Extraction is devastating it's using our national resources as ingredients to making stuff. This, in my hunch will not last for long since one third of our national resources are gone.  Don't you see? It's only the first of the process and they haven't even released let alone made the product, and they're already affecting our environment.                     

In U.S:

• 40% of the waterways are undrinkable

• 30% of waste is consumed

• and U.S hold 5% people of the world

WOW, and that's only U.S there are more than 30 countries in the world.

After Extraction, there comes Production, production is where they take the things they got from our national resources and mix them with toxic chemicals, they use 100, 00 synthetic chemicals. Did you know that it causes 4 billion pounds of pollution with toxic chemicals in U.S? Bet, you didn't. And guess what happens you mix toxic chemicals with our national resources? Toxics in toxics out!

Of course, when the products are done where it does end up? Stores, which is what leads us to Distribution, in distribution is where their marketing skills come in. Their strategy is to keep the prices down, and externalize the costs. Of course, what do we do when something is cheap or in sale? We buy 'em.  It's a good plan, but that's why the government is taking advantage of it.

And when the products go out, the corporations want people buying more, which is what leads us to Consumption. That is why they plan this stuff even before they got out.

Planned Obsolescence, planned obsolescence is when they make sure that when you buy their products, it either breaks or doesn't work properly, maybe it doesn't even work at all. They do this stuff so that you're going to buy this stuff for sure. Percieved Obsolelescence, perceived obsolescence actually has something to do with our feelings. It's when they sell new stuff, then people start buying them, but you still have the old one. For example, you have this toaster, but it's so old, then they sell new ones and your friends buy them. And when your friends come over, do you want them to see that ancient toaster of yours? No, of course not.

There's also a very popular tactic to sell more stuff, Advertisement, it can be done in many different ways, in T.V's, flyers etc. Then, of course we get caught up in that stuff to. It was very shocking when I found out stuff, once it's sold six months after, only 1% gets used! Can you believe that? 99% of what we buy goes to trash after 6 months.

Here comes something we all do to 99% of our stuff after 6 months, Disposal, disposal has more to it than you think. When we throw stuff away it doesn't necessarily go into garbage bins. That is why during the process of disposal we pollute the air, land, and water, It is bad for our environment. Oh sure, we can recycle, but that's not enough, it will never be enough. Much stuff can't be recycled.

We need to take back the government. We need to see what we're doing and do something about it. I'm happy to hear that there are many environmental programs around the world which is helping, a lot.

Something we have a problem on is disposal the garbage, pollution. Did you know that we consume 500 billion plastic per year? Plastic is not good at all, we watched a video in our class, and it talks about how plastic is one of our worst garbage ever, not only does it pollute our land, but it affects the animals too. In the video there was a turtle caught in a plastic ring, it was able it survive with it. Until it got older, and it got bigger. Do you see? Do you want other animals to suffer like that too? Then stop using plastic, bring your own canvas bag where you go shopping, don't waste plastic.

There's this one girl in Vancouver, who lives an entire year without plastic of any kind. If she can do it, I'm sure we can do it too. Her blog is at  [LINK]  I encourage you to check it out.

But it isn't us who keeps on producing plastic, it's the companies. But how do we get companies to change? Vandalize their property!---no. We use Carrotmob, in carrot mob everybody wins! YAY! What's Carrot mob you ask? Carrotmob is when pick a store/company then you convince them to change their efficiency, and their store to a more environmentally store, In exchange of you and many other people going to the store and shop like crazy! And since there's MANY other people wit you shopping it helps the store with their sales too. They get media, and a good image.  It's a Win-win for everyone!  Carrotmob started in Asia, where now stores are changing. If you want to help more, be part of V-DAY! Don't use or waste plastic for a day!

Problem = Plastic Bags

Solution =  Plastic  Paper  Canvas

We're people too, let's create something new

This image is not mine but this person's:"Random Tree from Flickr Yahoo". You could view this image at this person's web page by following this link: [LINK]

I uploaded this photo on February 17, 2010.

Article posted January 8, 2010 at 01:05 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 105

In the book touching Spirit Bear by: Ben Mikaelsen, the main character: Cole Matthews is a fifteen year old boy who went through many struggles to learn how to forgive. Cole was full of anger and hate, he was very disrespectful to people and didn’t care about them. But when he beat up Peter Driscal and smashed his head on the sidewalk. He got banished on an Alaskan Island for one year. But he didn't even last 3 months, because when he saw a spirit bear on the island he intended to kill it and succeed. But when the spirit bear mauled him making him in a crucial condition. He got sent back. But he wanted a second chance so he went to the island again. Edwin, a Tlingit elder, and Garvey, helped Cole to forgive and change. Then he started to change and learn how to forgive. But after he heard that Peter Driscal has tried to commit suicide 2 times already. Cole thought it will be a good idea if Peter could come to the island and live with him. But Peter still doesn't trust Cole after what he did. So Garvey is staying them to make sure nothing bad happens. At first Peter didn't want to go anywhere near Cole, but after a couple of weeks Peter is starting to see that Cole has changed, and it's starting to be a wonderful friendship.

I think the Author's Message is about forgiveness. Because it's the one that I understand the most and I think that it's really important to learn how to forgive. Like on how Cole learned how to forgive his dad and Peter. Forgiveness is really important because I think that when you learned how to forgive, it feels better because you forgave that person and now you understand them a bit more. Like on how Cole understand his dad when he forgave him.

Article posted November 10, 2009 at 01:16 AM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 88

I think Cole is okay because he feels okay. He thinks that he is okay because, before Garvey and Edwin found him he saw the beauty of the world and he admired it thinking how much of this he missed growing up. Cole also cared for the little baby sparrows because they were just little and so innocent, so he thought that they hadn't deserve to die. He thought about the baby sparrows from time to time as an inspiration to keep going and live. Cole thinks that he is okay because even though for a short moment he experienced something that he never felt before and he liked it and want to make it last. So I believe that Cole is okay.

Garvey thinks that Cole isn't okay because Cole is swollen up, he got pecked by seagulls, his pelvis is broken, his bone is sticking out, chest ripped open, and can only move his left arm and his head. Garvey is concerned about Cole because he is in a very serious stage.

When people get angry their face might start getting warm and turn red. Then their face expressions change and they start frowning and their eyebrows get crunched up. And maybe they would get back at that person who teased them or hurted them and start a fight. When people get angry they might scream and throw a temper tantrum. Then start to dropping or breaking stuff, to get over their anger. People who are angry might also be cranky so when someone talks to them they'll release all their anger at that person. They might also tell on the person who made them angry or tell someone why they're angry.

To make them feel better we can just let them be alone for a while and wait for that person to be ready. We could also distract them so that they will forget that they're angry, and maybe after that they'll a lot better.

Article posted October 20, 2009 at 06:23 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 89

If I had a time machine I would go back in time when cavemans lived. Because if high-tec stuff were'nt invented yet . I want to see how they survived . If they have a shelter or did they have to build it themselves? Because if they live in caves don't cabes have bats in them so it will really be hard for them to live there.

On some books I read I found out that they use special pointy rocks to cut through animals body,then they take out the skin nad wear them. I alos found that only men go out hunting for food because they're more stronger and women stays at home.

I also want to know if they cook in another way, instead of fire. Or maybe sometimes they eat their foood raw. It also makes me wonder what earth look like in that time. And what part of the world did they live in.