Copyright (c) 2014 by J Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
J -- Blogmeister

-

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by J teacher: Derek Milloy

Title: The Story of Stuff (05/11/10)
Description: Write a response to the video shown in class (and available online), The Story of Stuff. What does it make you think about? What questions does it raise for you.

Think about it, then write something that will help the rest of us think more about it.

At school we watch a video callled The Story Stuff. The video was about people buying to much goods and after a month or so they just throw it away and cause pollution.

My reaction to this video is that I feel really bad about throwing away trash and not reusing it again. And also what's happening to anitmals when I do this. My back to the main point of my reaction is that I just what more people to get involed and start making a better in enviroment and understanding more about what's we should do to help the enviroment. It makes me feel like I really want to grab those thing I threw away from the dump and reuse them again. I'd also like more people to get involed in this.

Article posted May 14, 2010 at 04:19 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 68

On Thursday May 6, 2010 my class watched this short "movie". It was called the Story of Stuff. It was about all the garbage that gets wasted. I was really suurprised when I found out that Canada was not really eco-friendly. About a quarter of waste is made by Canada. Prime Minister Stephen Harper Said that we would bann plastic bags and signed his name. But, after he started having doubts. So, Prime Minister Stephen Harper didn't stay up with his commintment. I was surprised that only 1% of items bought are being used after 6 months in North America! Thousands and thousands of animals die because of the plastiuc that is released in their enviorment. And also did you know that everything that we buy contians hundereds of toxis and when were done with them they get burned and the toxics get released into the air and then buried. The way business can change if we change oursevles. We can stop buying plastic bags and the store will start getting more re-usable bags so they will get atleast some money so Stop, Think, Recycle! Also Check out The Story of Stuff.

Article posted May 12, 2010 at 04:01 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 80

Have you ever wanted to know where all the things

and stuff we have come from?

The video "The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard" was a video that our class had to watch as an assignment. This video was about earth and pollution. Earth and pollution were the main topics, I guess. I think this video described 100% about how we should stop pollution. This video had me think, why won't the government or corporations just step up and say to "Stop polluting and make another plan! Let's use that plan to stop pollution!

Sometimes, I wish pollution was never made, so our Planet Earth wouldn't be in Crisis!

Also this video made a chain to explain where pollution starts. It made me think "Oh. So thats what happens."

Our class was given an assignment in which we were to watch a video and give it some thought. The video was called the Story Of Stuff with Annie Leonard. The video was a little boring, mainly becuase of the time length, but I did find some things intersting, and no doubt shocking. I was completley surprised when the video stated how much toxins and poisons enter our every-day products and devastated when I saw how much of are local resources are being sacificed for our poducts. Its very hard to believe that lots of people do this, but I was glad to see that some people are starting to make a change. I don't know about you but I'd rather live in a clean and enviornment-friendly planet then a filthy garbage-disposal-like planet. Can you make a difference??

Article posted May 13, 2010 at 03:40 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 60

When our Class watched the video The Story of Stuff by Annie Leonard. I was very shocked. My reason is because I really didn't know what was happpening to our environment whenever people shop. There are lots more things happening between all the makings and the process of the things we buy. I just realized that when you buy things you just throw them away after a month or so and it causes more pollution everyday. this process does not only pollute the air, the land, and the water it also harms plants and animals. I can't believe that only 1% of products or goods still have been used after 6 months and the rest have been thrown away. I am hoping that our government will take more care of this system we use everyday.

from now on I will try to invest a little bit more on what I buy. I hope everyone else will do that too.

In class we watched a video called the story of stuff and it was about the planet being polluted by plastic and our stuff that we don't even use anymore.

My reaction to this video is that we have to start thinking of what we buy and we have to think about it before buying it because we should ask our self "am I going to be using this after I buy it?". That is a question we should all ask because in the video Annie Leonard told us that only 1% of what we buy we use after six months.

So my response is to stop buying and start thinking.

Article posted May 14, 2010 at 05:22 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 72

This Video is about the Trash. It’s Tells Viewers about The Limits (such as ; Cutting Down Trees, Blowing Up Mountians and Draining Water), Natural Resources that have been used up ( 1/3 ). It also tells us that the Us has 5% of the World’s Population  but the US is using 30% of the Worlds Resources. The US’s is Creating 30% of the World’s Waste. Also this video tells us that if we use the US’s Rates we would need 3-5 Planets. Also the World use’s 100,000 Synthetic Chemicals. It Tells us that 200,000 people move to the city, to find a work even though many toxic cemicals are in the Factory. The US Admits to Releasing 4 Billion LBS of Pollution into the Air in a Year. So they Move to Other Countries to Pollut their Land but It Comes Back by Wind Currents. Then Distribution which means Selling the Toxic Junk Quickly as Possible. Their Goal is to Keep the Prices Low and Keep the Inventory Moving. It Tells us that When 9/11 happened President Bush Told us to “Shop”. They Also told us that 99% is Trashed in less than 6 Months but only 1% Isn’t Trashed in 6 Months.

I think this Video is Very Helpful to People Who don’t know about Trash/Waste.

The story of stuff makes me think about how much money we waste buying stuff we dont really need.I also learned that you should not buy something just because their popular or many people have them only buy stuff you need.

Did you know that only 1% of us still has the things we bought from six months time or more? Think about how much many we waste and where the stuff we dont need go to!

Article posted May 12, 2010 at 01:14 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 181

the story of stuff was very interesting,long and, just a little bit borring but.............................

also very serious and scary i was weirded out by the fact that we use that much garbage it was even a little disturbing cuz in a couple of years it could build up and make a "MOUNTAIN"of  garbage and that would be vewry scary cuz that would be alot of fumes and the earth could eventualy die in about 100 or so years or less!!!so ``REDUSE REUSE RECYCLE``

Article posted May 14, 2010 at 05:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 68

My reaction to The Story of Stuff:

When i watched The Story of Stuff i was really surprised because I didn't know that we are wasting all of this stuff and we are using 30% of the worlds recourses.Also most of the stuff we buy gets trashes in about 6 months and when people buy computers they just throw them away because they aren't new,for example:pretend that I bought a computer in 2005 and now its 2010 so now i'm going to throw it away because its not new like my friend's and it doesn't have all the new stuff in it.I didn't think that all of the stuff that we bought would just be wasted,but now that i watched this video,i know not to waste all of this stuff.When i have the chance to recycle, i will do it.thats why I was surprised after I was done watching this video.

Our class had watched the video called "The Story Of Stuff"with Annie Leonard. Its a 20 minute video, but you can learn so much from it! I can give you 3 small detail why you should really watch it,but to tell you the truth you should watch the real video.

-In the U.S. 40 percent of the waterways are not drinkable!

-Did you know we are losing 2,000 trees a minute,thats 7 football fields!!

-And last but not least in the U.S. they pollute more then 4,ooo,ooo,ooo LBS a year!!!

Heres another thing,I got all this information in just 8 minutes,I know 8 MINUTES!!!!

You can get more information on www.storyofstuff.com

NOW LETS SAVE THIS PLANET

Article posted May 14, 2010 at 02:15 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 62

[LINK]" rel="File-List" />

Watching The Story of Stuff has sure given me something to think about. It talks about how stuff is changing our lives and our environment, also, things that I never knew. Annie talks in detail about how stuff what happens to stuff, how it gets produced, distributed consummated, and its disposal. But one thing I never knew is that is seems like Corporations takes care of us, but isn't that the government's job?  Of course it is, but now it seems like the corporation is taking over the government's job, on how we shop and shop like crazy.

Well, that’s weird because I like to shop too, but do we know what happens and what happened to the stuff we buy? First of all I learned that it goes through a process the first one is Extraction followed by Production, Distribution, Consumption, and Disposal.

Extraction is devastating it's using our national resources as ingredients to making stuff. This, in my hunch will not last for long since one third of our national resources are gone.  Don't you see? It's only the first of the process and they haven't even released let alone made the product, and they're already affecting our environment.                     

In U.S:

• 40% of the waterways are undrinkable

• 30% of waste is consumed

• and U.S hold 5% people of the world

WOW, and that's only U.S there are more than 30 countries in the world.

After Extraction, there comes Production, production is where they take the things they got from our national resources and mix them with toxic chemicals, they use 100, 00 synthetic chemicals. Did you know that it causes 4 billion pounds of pollution with toxic chemicals in U.S? Bet, you didn't. And guess what happens you mix toxic chemicals with our national resources? Toxics in toxics out!

Of course, when the products are done where it does end up? Stores, which is what leads us to Distribution, in distribution is where their marketing skills come in. Their strategy is to keep the prices down, and externalize the costs. Of course, what do we do when something is cheap or in sale? We buy 'em.  It's a good plan, but that's why the government is taking advantage of it.

And when the products go out, the corporations want people buying more, which is what leads us to Consumption. That is why they plan this stuff even before they got out.

Planned Obsolescence, planned obsolescence is when they make sure that when you buy their products, it either breaks or doesn't work properly, maybe it doesn't even work at all. They do this stuff so that you're going to buy this stuff for sure. Percieved Obsolelescence, perceived obsolescence actually has something to do with our feelings. It's when they sell new stuff, then people start buying them, but you still have the old one. For example, you have this toaster, but it's so old, then they sell new ones and your friends buy them. And when your friends come over, do you want them to see that ancient toaster of yours? No, of course not.

There's also a very popular tactic to sell more stuff, Advertisement, it can be done in many different ways, in T.V's, flyers etc. Then, of course we get caught up in that stuff to. It was very shocking when I found out stuff, once it's sold six months after, only 1% gets used! Can you believe that? 99% of what we buy goes to trash after 6 months.

Here comes something we all do to 99% of our stuff after 6 months, Disposal, disposal has more to it than you think. When we throw stuff away it doesn't necessarily go into garbage bins. That is why during the process of disposal we pollute the air, land, and water, It is bad for our environment. Oh sure, we can recycle, but that's not enough, it will never be enough. Much stuff can't be recycled.

We need to take back the government. We need to see what we're doing and do something about it. I'm happy to hear that there are many environmental programs around the world which is helping, a lot.

Something we have a problem on is disposal the garbage, pollution. Did you know that we consume 500 billion plastic per year? Plastic is not good at all, we watched a video in our class, and it talks about how plastic is one of our worst garbage ever, not only does it pollute our land, but it affects the animals too. In the video there was a turtle caught in a plastic ring, it was able it survive with it. Until it got older, and it got bigger. Do you see? Do you want other animals to suffer like that too? Then stop using plastic, bring your own canvas bag where you go shopping, don't waste plastic.

There's this one girl in Vancouver, who lives an entire year without plastic of any kind. If she can do it, I'm sure we can do it too. Her blog is at  [LINK]  I encourage you to check it out.

But it isn't us who keeps on producing plastic, it's the companies. But how do we get companies to change? Vandalize their property!---no. We use Carrotmob, in carrot mob everybody wins! YAY! What's Carrot mob you ask? Carrotmob is when pick a store/company then you convince them to change their efficiency, and their store to a more environmentally store, In exchange of you and many other people going to the store and shop like crazy! And since there's MANY other people wit you shopping it helps the store with their sales too. They get media, and a good image.  It's a Win-win for everyone!  Carrotmob started in Asia, where now stores are changing. If you want to help more, be part of V-DAY! Don't use or waste plastic for a day!

Problem = Plastic Bags

Solution =  Plastic  Paper  Canvas

We're people too, let's create something new

In our class room we saw a video called " The story of stuff with Annie Leonard" and it was about global warning and polution. I liked it because it informed all the points Im sure allot of kids of my age dont know, so this is my blog for this assignment, I saw that corporations are bigger than the goverment witch really didnt supries me I knew that in someway the goverment was manipulated by this big guys didnt you, ok, then I saw what they do to the envirorment witch was another ting I alredy knew because in the video Annie said that when the companies cant trow more more garbege in their land they go to the trid world, in wich my whole family lives in and I haved lived there and belive me I have seen the facturies and were they trow their garvege and its allot of smock and garvege.

And, how the people end up working in this factories, its because thats their only optcion and they dont pay them what they deserve. I dont remeber who but someone of my family once worked in someting like that but not in the factory itself but in something close and he had to quit and look for another job, that money wasnt enof for him, it wasent what he deserved, I mean hours of hard working and just a little of money, you have to be kidding me!

I was told to not say names for internet things like this so Im not telling names, a women in my family when she was young worked in a clothing factory, not a big deal but what they made were cloths and she discobered what happens before the cloths are exporeted to other cuntrys (this didnt happen in Canada, but there were expored here too after the first stop, this happens to otther products to and the clothes werent origanily made in Mexico if thats what you think its the country Im talking about) what happend at that other country is that they change the name of were it was origanily made to some other country, can you belive that!

After that she that she talked about how we dont realy pay for the stuff we buy, its practicly free! Then she talked about the golden arow wich is the on between the stores and the counsumers home, the big industries and others shortly after world war 2 were planing a way of getting the economy up so they made this plan of making us consumers, not buisiness man and women, not scientists, not teachers, not caring parents, not farmers, consumers consumers!!! and it worked consumers its what we are, its a circle a mean cicle of us watchin tv that tells us we suck but we wont if we shop so shop is what we do and there goes the cicle again and again, but we can stop it, how by not beliving them and the earth the earth we can help it to we can start by bringuin our own bags to the supermaket, did you know that the biguest garvege dut is in the Pacific Ocean, theres about 500 billion peaces of garvege in that ocean, 500 billion!! wow!!

The poor animals are dieng because of this almost evryday,theres more plastic than food in there, the garvege goes from Cansas to Japan, Japan!! thats a long distance, so I was told theres people trieng to clean it so stop using plastic so it dosent end up there, get ecofriendly and togueter we can save our planet.