Copyright (c) 2014 by D Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
D -- Blogmeister

2010-2011

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by D

teacher: Derek Milloy

Pajama day 12/13/11
I can't write a poem 05/05/11
Responsibility 05/03/11
Justin Bieber 04/27/11
04/13/11
Where Is Port Hardy? 04/06/11
Friends 02/12/11
Basketball 01/25/11
S.S 01/11/11
Basket ball 01/11/11

Title: Products from BC Resources (03/01/11)
Description: You've chosen a product that is made from a resource from BC. In a voicethread (a poster is OK but tell me if that is our plan), show the finished product and takes us through its manufacture all the way to when (& where) the original resource was harvested.

Make sure your project shows the finished product, processing, harvesting, and location of the resource at or just before harvest. Communicating your ideas and information clearly to tell your story is important (this is a language arts as well as a science assignment!).

Article posted February 4, 2011 at 04:05 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 67

Article posted February 4, 2011 at 03:44 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 245

Article posted February 3, 2011 at 04:58 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 772

In science class we learned about B.C. resources. Our assignment was to track a B.C. resource to its original form. I chose Canned Salmon to track back. So now you’ll learn about the process of a food you have probably eaten before, Canned Salmon.

First of all, you have to catch and transport the wild salmon to a place where they can salmon. The salmon are caught using a large butterfly net, in that net, a large amount of salmon can be caught. The salmon is transported using boats to the cannery in sea water. Then the salmon from the boats get unloaded and weighed. After that, the fish gets inspected inside out. Then the salmon gets gutted (The guts get taken out) and scaled (The scales get taken off). Also, the salmon gets cut in to small pieces so it fits in the can, and filled, where the salmon can get salt put into it. Before it gets filled, no salt gets put into the salmon so it’s fresh and not tampered with. After the salmon is put into the can, it gets vacuum sealed and packed for guaranteed freshness. It is then inspected again, It is a regulatory requirement that all canned salmon packed in Canada be inspected to ensure that only acceptable quality product enters into commercial trade. Then the can gets labeled according the canning company, and then finally, the canned salmon gets shipped to the store. So next time you grab canned salmon, remember how it’s processed. That concludes my short, but sweet article. Hope you liked my article!

Article posted February 3, 2011 at 01:13 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 294

We all know that there are salmon in cans in some stores. But what we don’t know is how the salmon got there so here is a ten step process which sows how:

10. Salmon in cans on a shelf

9. Salmon cans are put in boxes. The boxes are put in trucks which bring them to the store

8. A machine glues the labels on the salmon cans

7. The salmon cans are getting cold and a machine seals them

6. The salmon cans are put in special machine which steam them

5. A machines cut the salmon to pieces, add salt, and put it in cans

4. The salmon are getting washed, cleaned, and butchered

3. The employents sort the salmon by kinds

2. Fishmen catch the salmon, and bring it to a cannery. (like the Gulf of Georgea cannery)

1. Salmon swim in the Ocean