Copyright (c) 2014 by Kali C Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Kali C -- Blogmeister

Kali's Blog Meister ^-^-

by Kali C teacher: Melanie Transue

Dear Freshy Letter

Dear Freshy,

Hey there freshman, only three more years of school left huh? I bet you're really excited about that. I'm writing this letter to you to try to give you some advice about being in the ninth grade. You're going to have to work hard, have a positive attitude and just have fun.

In the ninth grade, unfortunately, you're going to have to work hard. You have to work hard because you definitely want to end the year with good grades right? You also want to have good friendships with your teachers, ask them for help, and tell them that you don't understand something. Don't worry, none of them bite.

Another thing about the ninth grade is that you have to think positive. Of course this applies to all the grade levels, but in the ninth grade it counts a lot more.

Love,

Kali 

Sing It Out- Allusions to Romeo and Juliet

Check Yes Juliet

Have you ever heard a song that reminded you of a story? Perhaps a fairytale your parents used to tell you at night or just a good book you picked up from the library? The song, “Check Yes Juliet” by We the Kings, reminds me of the play Romeo and Juliet. It reminds me of this play because some of the story’s main ideas are in the lyrics and they are very accurate to the play.

Firstly, the song “Check Yes Juliet” has some of the main points of the play within the lyrics. An example of this would be the chorus in verse two when the band sings, “lace off your shoes…you and me.” What these lyrics of the song means is that Juliet should run away with the “Romeo” and that they’ll be together forever. Another set of lyrics would be “check yes Juliet…yours for the taking.” What this set of lyrics means is that the “Romeo” in this song wants Juliet to want him and that he would do anything for her.

Secondly, the lyrics of this song are very accurate to the play. The first lyric is very accurate because throughout the play Romeo expressed is love to Juliet, one of these expressions could be found in Act two (pg 29). Another way this lyric is accurate is that in Act five the Friar tries every way he can to get Romeo and Juliet to run away together so that they could love each other freely. The second set of lyrics are very accurate because all throughout the play Romeo sates that he would anything for Juliet, even die he couldn’t be with her. He says this in Act three scene three (pg 61) when he finds out that he his banished from Verona for killing Tybalt.

There, the song “Check Yes Juliet” by We the Kings reminds me of the play Romeo and Juliet. The story’s main ideas are in the lyrics and they are very accurate to the play.

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 54

Free Writing- April

Have you ever done something that was against the rules? Perhaps try to protect something or maybe believe that a certain something could protect your sanity? That is exactly what Colonel Jay Kopelman, in From Baghdad with Love, did. He kept a puppy, even though it was against the rules, because he wanted to protect it and believed that this puppy could protect his sanity.

Colonel Jay Kopelman kept this puppy, against Marine regulation, because he wanted to protect it. He wanted to protect Lava because he always portrayed an innocence that the Colonel couldn’t resist. It also hurt the Colonel when he saw a pack of stray dogs eating a dead body of battle, and imagined that Lava could become one of them. That one day, Lava would lose his innocent boot lace biting habits and trade them in to become a ruthless creature that was struggling to survive in the war zones, if Kopelman left him behind. So, he took Lava in and took care of him, hoping that he would be preserving the cute puppy’s innocence and protecting him from the cruel war outside.

Another reason why Kopelman kept Lava was because he believed the puppy could protect his sanity. He believed this because Lava kept his mind off all the death and destruction of the war. Such as he states in Chapter 1 pg 7 “I liked not caring about getting home or staying alive or feeling warped as a human being-just him wiggling around in my hands, wiping all the grime off my face.” Which means Kopelman was happy that he had something to take care of, something to distract him from all the bad things that may happen. Such as the Colonel dieing or going insane from the violence and despair of the war.

Therefore, that is Colonel Jay Kopelman kept this puppy, even though it was against Marine regulation. He kept this puppy because he wanted to protect it’s innocence and believed that the puppy would protect his sanity.     

Construction Theory

Many feminists believe that young girls should have positive role models to follow. In the movie Spirited Away, Hitaro is just that positive role model. She is the main female character of this movie and feminists would celebrate it because she has a powerful mind and is very brave.

In the movie Spirited Away Hitaro has a powerful mind. She has a powerful mind by that in the movie her parents get turned into pigs because they wouldn’t stop eating the food that belonged to the spirits. So, she decides to work for Ubaba, the witch that cast the spell on her parents. However, Ubaba tries to trick Hitaro into thinking her name is Sen. So that way she wouldn’t remember the reason why she was there, to safe her parents, and work for Ubaba forever. However, Hitaro doesn’t fall under Ubaba’s spell because she keeps remembering her parents and that she must save them. This proves that Hitaro has a powerful mind because she never gave up and remembered the true reason of why she was in the spirit world in the first place.

Hitaro is also very brave in the movie. She was very brave because there are many spirits and creatures that don’t like humans. One incident in particular is when Hitaro meets a creature that had begun to eat everyone in the bath house where she worked. So, she gives this creature something to eat but in fact it’s a medicine that made the creature regurgitate the people that it had eaten. This proves that Hitaro is brave because while everyone ran away from the creature, she stood her ground and faced it.

Therefore, that is why feminists would celebrate Spirited Away. They would celebrate it because it has a positive female role model for young girls who has a powerful mind and is very brave.

Kali

9 CP English

Miss Melanie Transue

12 January 2012

Will and Mr. Halloway’s Relationship Change

Have you ever had a bad relationship with one of your parents? Then, all of a sudden, have something big happen that changed that relationship? That is what happened to Will and Mr. Halloway in the novel Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. Their relationship changes when they talk more, do more things together and protect each other.

Will and Mr. Halloway’s relationship changes for the better when they begin to talk more to each other. However, at the beginning of the story, they hardly talked at all. A prime example of this is when Mr. Halloway takes the carnival flyer that he had found and throws it into the fireplace. Thus, making Will feel a bit suspicious of his father and hurt. He feels this way because Mr. Halloway did not talk to him at all about his feelings of the carnival or why he may be keeping secrets from him. He says, “Because Will answered himself. Something’s going on. Oh, something is going on!” (Bradbury 8). Although this incident happened, their relationship significantly improves when they talk on the porch together. This makes them become closer because Mr. Halloway explains to his son the he maybe a sad man, but his sadness did not come from Will. That Will is the light of his life and that he was even a bit envious of Will, he says, “That’s you, Will, for my money. And the strange thing is, son, and sad…than I ever will be” (Bradbury 136). Another way their relationship changes for the better is when they talk in the library together. This is good because Will is absolutely mesmerized by the way his father speaks. Will also begins to understand his father and that he actually knew a lot more about life than Will ever thought. He says, “Dad,” said Will, amazed. “I never knew you could talk” (Bradbury 196).

Another way Will and Mr. Halloway’s relationship changed is that they began to do more things together. Of course, during the beginning of the novel the boys did not do much together. An example of this is that at night Mr. Halloway would go out to the library while Will was asleep. A quote in the novel states, “And flying toward sleep…away…away” (Bradbury 39). One of the events that helped them come together though, was when they climb the iron rungs on the side of their house together. This brings them together because Mr. Halloway feels younger when he is climbing the ladder with his son. Will also feels happier because his father is with him, the novel states, “same size, same weight, colored same by the stars…and wet with love” (Bradbury 139). Another very important event that happened that brought the boys together was when they brought Jim back to life. This event brings them together because it helps Will understand that his father was right about how joy and happiness could overcome darkness and evil. It also gives Mr. Halloway the chance to show his son that he must let go of the bad things in life and the past in order to be truly happy and free. He says, “Will: louder, funnier…your bones! Breathe! Blow!” (Bradbury 282).

The last way that brought this father and son closer together is that throughout the novel they protected each other. Even though at the beginning of the story they protected each other the wrong way. What this means is that Will and Mr. Halloway keep their thoughts about the carnival to themselves. This is bad because it drives Will to believe that his father may actually want to go to the carnival and it makes Mr. Halloway worry about Will’s safety. They both say, “Don’t go near the carnival.” “Strange,” his father said, “that’s what I was going to tell you” (Bradbury 137). However, an action that improved this problem is when Mr. Dark came looking for the boys in the library. This helps their relationship because Mr. Halloway tries to protect Jim and Will from Mr. Dark’s wrath. Even though Mr. Dark offered him a ride on the carousel, to get younger, if he turned them in. This showed Will how much his father truly loved him, thus, leading their relationship to grow and become closer. The novel states, “Charles Halloway sprang forward…and could not follow” (Bradbury 213). Another way they protected each other was when Will heard his dad talking to Mr. Dark above the street grille where he was hiding. This helps their relationship because even though Mr. Dark had pictures of the boys on his palm and knew their names, Mr. Halloway never gave away where they were hiding or who they were. It also helps their relationship because it helped Will to understand that his father believes him about the carnival being evil. This also leads to Will growing deeper feelings for his father and that now he knew Mr. Halloway would do anything to protect him. Will says, “And Will, below…Dad’s very tall indeed” (Bradbury 179).

Although, many people would say that Will and Mr. Halloway’s relationship did not change. They believe this because Mr. Halloway still believed that he was still too old to be around Will. That at the end of the novel, he was still having doubts about who he was and if he could really change and be happy. He states, “He felt the vague pain in his chest. If I run, he thought, what will happen? Is Death important?” (Bradbury 288). However, though this is a good point, Mr. Halloway actually did decide to run with the boys and that throughout the novel he becomes more open and happy. He says, “Everything that happens before Death is what counts. And we’ve done fine tonight. Even Death can’t spoil it” (Bradbury 288).

I am credible for this essay because I have read the book at least twice.  

Works Cited

Bradbury, Ray. Something Wicked This Way Comes. New York, NY: William Morrow, 1962. Print.

Article posted December 19, 2011 at 02:35 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 67

Pick Me Last! (Part III)

In Chapter 47 why do you think Will came to the sound of his father's voice, when he needed help firing the rifle? 

Article posted December 19, 2011 at 02:18 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 53

Free Writing- December

Chapter 1

Screaming, crying, fire, amber colored eyes wide with fear shot forward then back again, back into the darkness where even worst horrors lurked. A sudden flash made me jump, another scream, but this scream was different. It was higher pitched and it was silenced quickly, “too quickly,” I thought to myself.

“You really thought you could save her, didn’t you? How amusing.”

It was him, the worst of my horrors, his voice was a low guttural noise and it alone made my blood freeze and my spine ache. I whirled around, nothing, nothing but darkness. Wait….was, was it moving? Yes, a figure tall and broad shouldered was stalking towards me with a bloody sword in his right hand and something I couldn’t make out in his left. I felt my throat tighten with terror as I watched the pulsing creature come towards me. His eyes were an acid green color, his mouth only a thin line on his dark face. Then, it smiled; the thin line became a gash with jagged teeth and dark red gums. As I stared at him he slowly raised his left hand to show me what he was hiding, the blood curdling smile still on his lips. I tried to let out a shriek of sheer and absolute anguish at the sight but felt my throat tighten violently. “But why?” I thought, it was then that I realized fear was only part of the reason. The other major part was that somehow the creature’s hands were around my throat! I struggled, he laughed, struggle, laugh, struggle. His face drawing closer, sword beginning to raise, his laugh becoming louder and louder and louder and……….

I leapt into the air then fell on something hard that felt cool underneath my stomach. I lurched my eyes open, blinked a few times and realized I was safely in my room and……well…..on the floor. I sat up slowly and observed the area, there were no people screaming except for the rock ‘n’ roll posters on my wall, no crazy guy trying to attack me and my attacker’s booming laugh was only the rumbling of the subway that passed near by. I shook my head and stood up, “just another bad dream,” I said to myself. But it was always the same one, the only difference is that sometimes tall, dark, and psychotic doesn’t show up. The mere thought of him makes my body go numb, “why am I so afraid of this guy?” I thought. I ponder on that question while I fixed up my futon and planned the events of the day to myself. After I was done I decided to take a quick, but very hot, shower to get my mind off the horrible dream and come back to reality.

I was towel drying my hair when I stopped because I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror. My body was muscular, but not pumped up like my friend Phenton’s, and my face was chiseled and the complete package that showed I was some German/American hybrid. Although, now that I think about it, my appearance definitely wouldn’t have put my name on the top of Mr. Adolf Hitler’s list for being the superior race of the world. My dark hair resembled a raven’s wings, while my eyes gave off a light sapphire shine that my mother called “crystal eyes.” In other words, my parent’s genes ran smoothly together when they decided that it was time for me to enter the world and be apart of it just like they were. But what really set my appearance straight was the ever so noticeable X on my left cheek, that made people know who I was and what I am apart of, more on that later. I withdrew from the mirror and threw on a pair of black jeans and a MSI sweatshirt and rushed downstairs where my family waited. What I didn’t know was that something else was waiting for me, a piece of paper, just a normal piece of

notebook paper that would turn my life upside down and change it forever.

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 02:25 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 68

Ooh, Pick Me Again (Part II)

Chapter 30: How do you think the Dust Witch communicated in the air to find Jim's and Will's houses?

Ooh, Ooh, Pick Me!

In chapter 16 after Jim went to the mirror maze, why do you think he became so needy of Will?