Copyright (c) 2014 by Melanie Transue Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Melanie Transue -- Blogmeister

Onwards and Upwards

by Melanie Transue

9Cp English Class Page
Fanfiction-a few Elk Lake students have work posted here!
Voki-create an animated character that speaks
Vocaroo-create you own podcast
World-create word clouds
Flaming Text-create animated text
Prezi-create an interactive slide show
Glogster-create an animated poster
chirbit- record your voice
animot- create videos

Hey Frosch!

Directions:

Write a 10 or more sentence letter to next years Freshmen. Tell them what 9th grade is really like and what they will have to do to be successful.

Read the advice lasts years FRESHMEN left for you for inspirationl then make yours even better!

[LINK]

What’d You Think? (Book Review X3)

Due Dates:

Initial #1 Friday April 18th

Final #2 Friday April 25th

Initial #1 Friday May 9th

Final #2 Friday May 16th

Initial #1 Friday May 30th

Final #2 Friday June 6th

Your Mission:

Write 3 book reviews about books you read this year either recommending or not recommending them to next year’s 8th graders.

Criteria:

10 or more sentences.

Introduction statement with book name (italics-GRAPHICAL mode) and author

Brief description of book that DOESN’T give away the ending

Concluding statement recommending or not recommending the book

(You can recommend the book to only a specific audience ex. fantasy fans only.)

The Science Behind the Project

(parenthetical citation practice)

Initial: Friday April 18th

Final: Friday April 25th

Directions:

Practice your research and citation skills.  Write the 9 most interesting facts about your science fair project.  Keep track of your sources because you will need to include PARENTHETICAL CITATION for each item on your list and a WORKS CITED section at the end of your blog.

REQUIREMENTS:

-attention getting introduction

-9 or more interesting facts about your country

-parenthetical citation for each fact

-2 or more sentence conclusion

-Works Cited at the bottom of your blog utilizing correct MLA format

Free Writing- April

Initial Submission: Thursday April 24th (5 points)

Finalized Submission: WEDNESDAY April 30th (10 points)

As with all free writing, you may write about any topic you choose. . . At a loss for a good topic? SuggestionS:

April is famous for 2 things: April Fools and Shakespeare’s Birthday.

1. Write about a funny moment in your life.

2. To prepare thyself for National Talk Like Shakespeare Day (23rd Day of April), writeth thine blog in Shakespearian tounge.

Length Requirements:

25 sentences or 25 lines of poetry.

*Do not forget to include introductions and conclusions to your work.

*When getting information from another source, you must cite that source.  To not do so is plagiarism.

Being a responsible participant in the great online conversation, I pledge that I will use information to:

q  Express the truth.  If challenged, I will be able to prove that what I write or say is true.

q  Treat all people with respect.  I will never use information to cause harm or appear to cause harm to any person or group of people.

q  Respect and protect information tools.  I will do no harm to a computer system, network, software, or other person’s information.

q  Honor the code of academic honesty.  MY work will be MYwork.  I will not take credit for someone else’s genius.

Being a responsible student of the Elk Lake High School, I am aware that the high academic expectations associated with a college prep curriculum will ask me to:

q  Seek Quality:

o   Seek depth and creativity in my writing.  I will use the open-ended opportunities to express my personality and opinions in a sincere and meaningful way.

o   Seek depth in my comments.  I know that too much positive feedback has limited value and will endeavor to use my background to not only lift up my peers but to help them excel in their writing as I seek to excel in mine.

o   Use professional language.  I will avoid slang unless it is an intentional creative choice.

o   Use the conventions of language correctly.  I know that grammar and spelling do matter.

q  Honor the Code of Academic Honesty:

o   MY work must be MY work!

§  I will NOT copy another student’s work and call it my own.

§  I will NOT copy and paste work from an internet site or book and call it my own.

§  I will NOT have another student/parent/person do my work for me.

o   I will write NEW work for this year.  Unless a special exception is granted, work I wrote for another class or in a previous year will not be submitted for credit.

**Students caught cheating by not following to guidelines for academic honesty above, will receive a zero for the assignment as per the steps in the student handbook.

ASSIGNMENT COMPONENTS

Initial Post: means you have started the assignment and are attempting to complete the task.

Final Post: Requires approval from Miss Transue and means that your blog has NOR GRAMMAR ERRORS and NO CONTENT ERRORS.

Comments: You must respond (with 2 or more sentences) to the work of @ least 2 of your peers.  Comments must demonstrate that you have read the work you are responding to and should provided constructive criticism, further discussion about the blogs’ topic, or positive feedback.

Article posted August 23, 2012 at 01:05 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 173

________________________________________

INTRODUCTION TO BLOGGING

Step 1: Find the 9CP English Class Blog

1. Go to www.classblogmeister.com

2. On the RIGHT hand side of the screen, in the box below the words READ BLOGMEISTERS type the name of the blogger you are trying to find. . . . in this case MELANIE TRANSUE

3. When the blog comes up, read the most recent ARTICLE (posted in the center area of the blog) and TEACHER ASSIGNMENTS (assignments are listed—most recent on top—in the RIGHT hand column).

Step 2: Create Your Own Blog

1. On the RIGHT hand side of the class blog find your section

2. Click on your name; if your name is spelled wrong, tell Miss Transue before customizing your blog.

3. Click LOGIN in the upper LEFT hand corner of the screen, in the black bar.

4. Your user name: YOUR FIRST space LAST NAME

5. Your password: same as your computer login id

6. Ta da! Your blog is now created!

Step 3: Customize Your Blog

1. Change the background and/or color of your blog

• Scroll trough templates at the top of the screen; choose one you like or go to templates 7, 8, or 9

• (if using template 7, 8, or 9) select EDIT TEMPLATE COLORS then adjust the colors in any way you choose.

• Click SELECT TEMPLATE to apply any template to your blog.

2. Give your blog a name and type a short paragraph about yourself

• Click CONTROL PANEL at the top

• Type the name you want in the YOUR BLOG TITLE box

Blogmeister gives these tips about giving your blog a name: “Blog names must be cryptic and self effacing. The title should have almost nothing to do with the topic at hand. But basically, anything goes. Find a title that seems appropriate for you and that has a good rhythm, and know that you can change it at any time. (Note that titles with apostrophes, such as Clio's Ghosts, and possibly with other punctuation marks will not be accepted because of how they translate into computer code.)”

• Type a brief paragraph about you in the ABOUT YOU box.

Hobbies, interests, extra curricular activities, family, pets, etc. are good thing to mention. Do not give your full name, hometown, phone number or other personal information.

You may also post widgets in the ABOUT YOU box. Game widgets will not be approved.

• When you are done with all changes in the control box area, select SUBMIT DESCRIPTIONS.

3. Add a picture

• The picture on the left of your page is selected by your instructor; it cannot be changed. You may select a picture to go in the upper right-hand side of your own blog.

• Save whatever picture you want to use to your student drive (30 JPG or smaller).

• In the CONTROL PANEL feature Select BROWSE and find your saved image

• Click UPLOAD

4. View the finished product by selecting VIEW MY BLOG

PS: Remember, some of the information you created won’t post until your instructor approves them. Patience is a virtue.

SUBMITTING ASSIGNMENTS AND ARTICLES

To submit a blog:

1. Log-in to your blog.

2. If you do not see EDIT MODE in red letters at the top, Click EDIT in the upper LEFT hand corner of the screen, in the black bar.

3. Click ARTICLES

4. Type an attention getting title for your article in the ARTICLE TITLE box. It should encourage readers to read your blog. A title like “Assignment #1” is not very attention getting.

5. Click GRAPHICAL to RIGHT of the title box. This opens up some additional text features. Copy and paste your blog from the Word document where you typed it the first time. (Duh! The screen’s bigger; it has spell & grammar check; and it doesn’t time out).

6. Adjust your text as needed. Specifically, make sure the paragraph breaks and spacing transferred properly.

7. Ignore the podcast box.

8. Click the arrow next to ASSIGNMENTS and select which assignment you are submitting.

9. Click the REQUEST PUBLISHING box. This sends your blog to your instructor for approval. If you do not click publish, your article is saved but not submitted.

10. Click SAVE

Note: Publish means ready for the world to read. Articles which have grammar errors or are incorrect will not be approved. Doing it right the first time means less work for you.

RUBRIC

How blogs will be graded?

I. Assignment Submissions (15 points)

*You have until mid-night on any due date to submit your work*

1. Initial Submission: 5 points

-4 points when late

2. Finalized Submission: 10 points

In order to be approved, your response must be 100% complete and have NO conventions errors.

-2 points when submissions

II. Commenting (5 points)

Comment on the work of at least two other 9th grade students in your section. Comments are due 2 days after the final submission due date and must be at least 3 sentences long.

-3 points when late

Following up on a submission:

1. Allow 48 hours Miss Transue to read and comment on your work.

2. An email will be sent if your work needs revision. Be sure you complete your blog (revisions and all) before the final submission date. See REVISING A BLOG below.

3. Once approved, go to the class blog site or your own blog site to view your work.

4. Comment on the blogs of other 9th grade students. See COMMENTING below.

Revising a Blog

1. If your blog needs revision, select ARTICLE from the edit mode of your own blog site.

2. Find the article in need of revision below the submission panel.

3. Select your article.

4. Click TEXT to RIGHT of the title box. This allows you to read the teacher’s notes. Don’t panic if it makes your blog look weird; this is the HTML code version of your blog.

5. Read the teacher’s comments, then revise your blog based on comments. Note: You must save before toggling between TEXT and GRAPHICAL to prevent you changes from disappearing.

6. Click the REQUEST PUBLISHING box. Remember, if you do not click publish, your article is saved but not submitted.

7. Click SAVE

Commenting on the Blogs of Other’s (Elk Lake and around the world)

1. Login to your account before searching blogs

2. After reading a blog you liked or had a question about, click on COMMENT under the blog post

3. Click on ADD A COMMENT

4. If you are not logged in:

• Type your FIRST NAME ONLY in the name box. (Do not type your full name or share personal information.)

• Optional: Put your SCHOOL E-CHALK address only into the E-MAIL blank.

• Optional: Copy and paste the URL of your personal blog. (This allows the author a direct link to your blog.)

5. Type your comment in the comment box.

• Make your comment substantial (3 or more sentences).

• Say more than just good work or I agree. Include reasons for your opinions, comment on the part you liked the best, or make background connections to the post.

• Provide positive critical feedback. What can the author do to improve this post?

6. Complete the “prove that your human” box; capitalization matters.

7. Click SUBMIT.

8. You should see: “Your comment has been sent to the blogger’s teacher for approval. Thank-you for the conversation…”

Adding a Picture to your Blog Article

1. Login to your account and follow directions for submitting an article

2. Make sure you are in GRAPHICAL mode

3. Place your cursor where you want the image to be

4. Click the MOUNTAIN icon (next to the smiley face)

5. Paste URL ADDRESS of a FULL SCREEN image in the URL box

6. Click OK

7. Image should appear in the article box; if it does not get a different URL

8. Click on image to adjust the size

9. Click the REQUEST PUBLISHING box to submit your article

Adding an HTLM Product to your Blog Article

2. Make sure you are in TEXT mode (This shows your blog in HTML code)

3. Place your cursor where you want the product to be

4. Paste HLTM or EMBEDDED CODE

5. SAVE your blog (If you do not save, changes will disappear when you toggle to GRAPHICAL mode)

6. Switch to GRAPHICAL mode

7. Select your article again

8. Your product or its icon should be visible in this mode

Article posted October 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 19682

Stuff I Did for Other Classes (extra credit-5 pts.)

Post here work you have written for other subjects (i.e. science, Civics, health, etc.) to receive extra credit points.

Article posted October 5, 2011 at 04:19 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 88

You can receive 2 extra credit points for commenting on the teacher's sample blog for each assignment.

Article posted August 31, 2011 at 09:04 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 7522

Just For Fun!!

Note: This is not an actual assignment.  It is as the title suggests, just for fun.

Many students are opting to put posts on their blogs that are (*gasp) not required. 

You too may join in the fun by posting (school appropriate) QUOTES & LYRICS, PICTURES, AND WEBSITES worth sharing here! Or you can just tell us your thoughts on “life, the universe, and everything” (Douglas Adams The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy).

**Please remember that if you are posting something that you did not write yourself, you must give credit to the source so as to not plagiarize.

9th Grade Teachers
class 2014
class 2015