Copyright (c) 2014 by Ricky Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Ricky -- Blogmeister

-

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Ricky teacher: Michael La Marr

The absolute best character I have read so far in my class is an extremely brave boy named Jack. Jack is one of the main characters in the book, By The Great Horn Spoon. I like this guy’s personality and I have to admit, he doesn’t look too bad. But I like how much courage he has. Let me explain. Jack was going to California to help his Aunt Arabella keep her house. Jack was going to California in the Gold Rush. Jack was going to strike it rich. With that money, his Aunt Arabella’s house would not disappear from the Aunt’s grasp. He was very brave to do this, but his Aunt’s butler, Praiseworthy, went along with him. Together they encountered many dangers, but in the end, they struck it rich. Just saying, they struck it rich by selling cats. Praiseworthy and Jack were brave by getting the cats from an abandoned, rotting ship. That rotting ship used to be the ship that transported Jack, Praiseworthy, and many other people with gold fever to California. Jack was brave enough to take that ship because part of its route was around the vile Cape Horn!

Jack was brave when he encountered an outlaw, and faced him with his gun (and even braver, the kid was pointing a puny squirrel gun at the outlaw!). Plus right before that, Jack almost came face to face with a bear. On his way to California on a ship, Jack was brave enough to hide his pig friend from not only the butcher, but about the whole crew! Jack was brave, and a bit crazy, enough to take this journey to California in the first place. Think of all the hardships a miner could face. For an example, cholera and high prices await a miner in California. Fortunately, Jack was healthy about all the time in the California Gold Fields. Jack the brave boy, had no fears to go to California! Go courageous Jack!

Article posted April 12, 2010 at 07:08 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 43

There were lots of fun and exciting moments and experiences at Westminster Woods about two weeks ago. Some were fantastic and amazing. There are a few things I would like to share with you.

My favorite activity at the woods was going tide pooling. Oh, the creatures! Chitons, sea anemones, sea urchins, hermit crabs, sea sponges, tons of different kinds of sea stars, mussels and barnacles, a rare octopus, and lots more creatures! Some of them were quite abnormal!

My favorite trip was also going to the tide pools. I had to climb over tons of rocks. Most of them were seaweed or barnacle covered. It wasn’t very hard to maneuver around the big rocks near the cliff that lead to the tide pools. But the rocks near the tide pools were very slippery (I fell a lot) and hurt a bit. (barnacles aren’t dull and smooth!) But doing this was pretty darn fun!

My favorite information at the woods was about poison oak! I like the information about it because now I know how poison oak looks like. If I didn’t learn about that at Westminster Woods, I might have been really itchy a week ago or in the future. “Leaves of three, let them be.”

My favorite memory that I’ll remember forever at Westminster Woods was once again, the tide pools. I’ll remember climbing through sandstone cliffs, and looking at fantastic new creatures.

The cabin I slept in was pretty cool. We went to sleep around 9:30 which was awesome. But sleep was terrible, at least for me. It was seeping hot in there, so it was hard to sleep. Oh well, the rest of camp was spectacular.

Oh, and just saying, tide pools to me were better than the hikes.

Though Westminster Woods was a week long, it felt very short. Almost everything at Westminster Woods was marvelous! I want to go there again with the rest of the class!

Gold, gold, gold, hurrah! Wrong! I would say that mining for gold in the California gold fields would be extremely tough. First of all getting to California to mine gold would be super hard. There are two ways to get to California, and both are intense and treacherous. Lack of supplies, lack of food, terrible disease, deadly hazards, and many more dreadful problems await on the journey to the gold fields. Once I got there, there would be more problems. Food is not cheap or good. Not only was food expensive, tools and goods were! It would cost one hundred dollars for a pickaxe or shovel! Some other rotten things were like lots of pesky fleas in my bed. Don’t expect I could find an ounce of gold in a jiffy. It would probably take a days work for half an ounce! The water in the river would be icy cold so my hands would be frostbitten. I wouldn’t want to get arrested because then I would be hanged! Some miners would be violent when they weremad and shoot whom they were angry with. There would be a ton of rats nibbling on my food. Some animals would steal gold for some reason. There could be a flood because of hydraulic mining, and my supplies could be washed away. My food could rot and become rancid. Baths were quite rare in mining camps and cost a lot. I probably couldn’t take a bath for a month! Life in a mining camp was pretty darn tough!

By : Ricky

The Cay (by Theodore Taylor) Dedication

Theodore Taylor made his important dedication in the book The Cay to the all famous Martin Luther King.

He made his dedication to Martin Luther King because he wanted readers to know that blacks should have equal rights, just like Dr. King really wanted to happen. Dr. King and many other blacks fought for equal rights, and in Theodore Taylor’s great book, The Cay , Phillip and Timothy, two main characters, black and white, got along together well and became friends on a deserted cay, an island. Their relationship started when they were settling on the cay. They were making tools, like a vine rope. Phillip was blind, and when Timothy told Phillip to make palm frond mats he kept on refusing since he was blind. He got so furious that he threw the palm fronds at Timothy and then yelled at him. Timothy slapped Phillip across his face. Then he realized how much Timothy had helped him to keep him alive. Then they became very good friends which showed that they could truly get along together. Theodore Taylor’s dedication is a really important thing to know.

By: Ricky

I'm a boy who is 10 years old. I have a sister who is 11 years old. I like to go biking,playing yu-gi-oh cards, and reading.