Copyright (c) 2014 by Billy Forrester Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Billy Forrester -- Blogmeister

2009-2010

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Billy Forrester

teacher: Michael La Marr

Article posted June 1, 2010 at 09:42 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 35

Timothy of the Cay

Timothy is a great character from my favorite book of all times, The Cay. I liked Timothy best because he always had empathy for a young boy named Phillip. Even though Phillip hated Timothy in the beginning of the book, Timothy still cared for Phillip. I think Timothy cared for Phillip because he felt bad that Phillip was separated from his mom when a torpedo hit the S.S. Hato when they were on it. I also like Timothy because he never gave up. When he and Phillip were stuck on a deserted island, he never gave up. When a hurricane hit the island, Timothy tried extremely hard to save Phillip. Timothy taught Phillip a valuable lesson that black people are the same as white people, and they should have equal rights. Lastly, Timothy was very brave, and that’s why I liked him. He survived a torpedo, malaria, and the hurricane. Even though Timothy died at the end of the spectacular book from a hurricane, he was my favorite, and he was the best character of all.

When we went to Westminster Woods, I had a great time. My favorite activity during the whole week was when Mr. LaMarr, me, and other students went on a very exciting “hike”. We went at recreation time at about 4:15 P.M. On the hike, we found salamanders and a lot of poison oak. I’m glad I didn’t get poison oak. The only way to get back to camp was to climb up a 20 ft. hill. It was hard because all the dirt was very loose. Finally, all of us made it up the hill and got back. We got back from the hike around 5:05, right in time for dinner. That was my favorite activity because we saw a waterfall and many salamanders.

My favorite trip while at Westminster Woods was the tidepools. I liked it because we found many interesting animals. When we first got there we got in a big group and talked with the naturalists. While we were talking, we saw water shooting from whales’ blowholes. After that, we got back in our small groups and saw harbor seals and had lunch. Next, we went down to the tidepools. There were many animals, including gumboot chitons, sea anemones, sea and sun stars, and nudibranchs. During the whole tidepool trip my favorite thing that we found was a sea star eating an octopus’s tentacle. It was about an hour drive back to camp. When we got back we had recreation time and then dinner.

My favorite memory that I will have when I’m old and gray will probably be when I picked up trash. It wasn’t any old trash; it was a cheetos bag with a banana slug in it. It was eating a CHEETO=http://!! Some people kissed it. My mom, AJ, and Rory all kissed the banana slug. It had black spots on it, and it looked a little orange. That day I will never forget.

My favorite information I learned all week was about the Douglas fir. I didn’t know that it was the second tallest tree in all of California. Also, the way you can tell a Douglas fir from a redwood is their bark and pinecones. Redwoods’ cones are small The cones are one inch long and one half inch in diameter. The Douglas fir cones are much bigger; they have leafy mouse tail things on them. The bark between the two trees just looks different.

Overall, I loved the trip to Westminster Woods, and I’ll have many memories when I’m old and gray.

Billy Forrester’s blog for the Gold Rush

I would not have liked to be in the Gold Rush. Even though miners could strike it rich, I don’t want to risk my life for it. My mining team already has 576 gold nuggets, which is a lot. But we’ve also eaten rancid food and become ill, caught a cold while mining in an icy river, have had our hands nearly frostbitten, and got Rheumatism. Also, food and supplies are very rare and expensive. Eggs are three dollars each, a barrel of flour is 800 dollars, and foreigners have to pay a monthly tax. Rats can even be in food, disgusting!!! Baths are also rare in the gold fields, and miners get a little stinky. Baths were so expensive it was like taking a bath in champagne. The worst part of all is getting to the goldfields. My team and I took a wagon, and then our oxen ran away because we didn’t have any food for them. Then we took the Cape Horn route, which was okay, we made it safely!! I would not like to be in the gold rush. It was unsanitary and VERY life threatening.

Billy Forrester’s Blog for The Cay

Theodore Taylor dedicated his book The Cay to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. These are the reasons why I think that Theodore Taylor dedicated his book, The Cay, to Dr. King. I think Taylor dedicated The Cay to Dr. King because he fought well for Civil Rights, taught people a valuable lesson that black people should be treated the same as everyone else, and Theodore Taylor liked Dr. King. The Cay and Dr. King were the same because they both taught people that black people aren’t different; they’re the same as everyone else. Theodore showed the lesson in his book when Timothy, a black man, sacrificed his life for an 11 year old boy. Timothy was a GREAT book character. I’m glad that Theodore Taylor dedicated his book to Dr. King. It taught me a valuable lesson that I’ll always remember.