Copyright (c) 2014 by Kyle S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Kyle S -- Blogmeister

Soccer Is My Life-

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Kyle S teacher: Mrs. Ruffing

Title: Roller Coaster Physics Gr6 (04/17/12)
Description: Follow directions here to complete a post sharing what you have learned by completing the Roller Coaster project in science. Due date: April 30.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 09:43 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 560

The purpose of this project was to use Newton's Laws of Motion to build a roller coaster. His first law states that an object at rest remains at rest and an object in motion remains in motion in a straight unless acted on by an outside force, such as friction and gravitational forces. This law is also called the law of inertia because inertia is the same as his first law. His second law states that the acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the size of the net force applied. As the net force increases so does the acceleration. The third law of Newton states that when a force is applied to an object the object exerts an equal amount of force in the opposite direction. Momentum is the force needed to stop an object.

In the project there were four roles- historian, physicist, design engineer, and lawyer. The historian researched the history of roller coasters, the fastest, tallest, etc. The physicist researched the physics in roller coasters. The design engineer found the types of materials the first coasters were made from, what todays coasters are made from, etc. The lawyer found lawsuits regarding roller coasters, laws needed to be followed, and how parks escape lawsuits. I was the lawyer. Some laws I found were that Utah and Arizona rides are allowed to operate without government safety inspections or investigations. I also found out you have to be at least 16 years old to operate a roller coaster in Pennsylvania.

After a few tries on the roller coaster simulator, I created a coaster that works. My first coaster had to much speed.  

After a few more tries to get the speed down I added a small hill to the end, hoping it would use the extra speed to get up the hill.

It did and my coaster was a success. I had just enough speed to make it to the finish, the right number of loops and perfect hill sizes. My team called the roller coaster "The Abominable Taco" because we didn't want to steal a real name. My team member said "The Abominable Snowman" and I was in the mood for a taco so we combined the name to get "The Abominable Taco".

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

This year our 6th class did a roller coaster project. After we learned about Newton's Laws of Motion we started the roller coaster project. These are the Laws of Motion: 1st Law - An object at rest stays at rest unless  acted on by an outside force. An object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force. This law is also known as the Law of Interia.     2nd Law-  Acceleration of an object depends on mass of the object. The size of net force increases and acceleration increases.

3rd Law- When a force is applied to an object the object experts an equal force in the opposite direction.

The project we had as a group was four roles. The four roles were historian, physist, design engineer, and the lawyer. The historian found out about the history of roller coasters. The physist looked up the physics that were in making a roller coaster. The design engineer looked up the materials and things to make a roller coaster. The lawyer looked up the safety rules and the things that you need in a park to make it safe. I was the historian and I found out the rollercoaster that were the biggest, fastest, and tallest.

After our group was finished we went on a coaster creator and we designed roller coasters. Some of them failed but one of ours worked. The ones that failed and to much energy and momentum so it crashed. I did my own coasters one failed because it had to much speed so it did stop then I had one success.Our roller coaster was called Pretzel Twist.

This is the failed one.

This is one our group did that succeded.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 09:41 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 93

Newton's Laws are very important when creating a roller coaster.  He was the first person to discover gravity. I think these laws are pretty much common sense.  We got in groups and by the end of the project we made a roller coaster on a stimulater.  We then did an oral presentation about our role and about our roller coaster too.  When we did the stimulater there many fails because of not having enough energy.  We got to understand that roller coasters when created isn't as easy  as you think.  I never knew how important physics were, and when I got on roller coasters I didn't know how safe they probably were. 

In class we had to be either a physicist, design engineer, historian, or lawyer. The physicist had research how many  hills we can have, how many loops we can have, and how much kinetic energy and potential energy we can have.  The physicist also had to see how velocity, inertia, and momentum played a role so that we wouldn't go crashing through the ending point. The design engineer had to see what materials could be used, how designs have changed, and how long it actually takes to design a roller coaster before building it. The historian had to research the highest roller coaster, the fastest roller coaster and had to make sure we didn't name our roller coaster a name that was already used.  The lawyer had to see whether there were different laws in each state about roller coaster safety, how many lawsuits are going on right now and maybe how many deaths there has been.  I was the physicist and learned a lot of interesting facts.

We decided to name our roller coaster Demon Hills because it has many hills.  We made the loop look like a devil when we drew it and the cart look like fiery devil body.  It looked really cool.  My fail was because I didn't have enough energy to get through the loop.  My success had lots of energy stored up so it was able to get through all the hills and loops.  Here is a link to go to the stimulater if you would like, it is called JASON Mission Center: Coaster Creator

This is an example of my roller coaster fail. I think it didn't work because of the hill I  have before my loop and that is where it got stuck.

This is an example of my roller coaster success.  I think it worked because I had a really big hill and that gave me enough energy to go to the whole thing and the little hill slowed my roller coaster down at the very end.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 55

My class just finished the scream machine project for science.  The purpose was to learn how forces act on a sucsessful roller coaster .  We had to study the effects of the forces of friction, inertia, and speed.  The project was very educational. I learned how hard it is to build a sucsessful roller coaster.  Newton's laws play a big part in the making of a roller coaster. The first law of motion says that an object at rest remains at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless an outside force blocks it. The first law is also called the law of  inertia  (remember that term).  Newton's second law states that if a larger net force is applied an objects acceleration increases. The third law states that when a object hits another object the object hit exerts the same amount of force on the object that hit it.

There were four roles each with a different job. There was a Physisist, Design Enginer, Lawyer, and Historian. I was the Physisist. My job was to study the effect of Newton's Laws on a roller coaster. The purpose was of the Historian was to study the history of roller coasters( where the first one was, how they started etc.).  The Design Enginer had to study how roller coaster designs have changed. The Lawyer  had to study the rules and regulations of the roller coaster.

The outcome of my coasters were one failure and one success.

This one is my failure. It failed because it had too much Kinetic energy

This one is my success. It worked because it had the perfect amount of kinetic energy and Potential energy.

The team's final name for the coaster was Immortality.  The website we used was The National Geographic Jason Project coaster creator.

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 09:42 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

My class did a project where we had to create a roller coaster.  The purpose of this project was to learn about how forces and Newtons Laws of Motion are used in a roller coaster.  Newton's first law states that an object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force and that an object in motion stays in motion unless being acted on by an outside force.  His second law says that the acceleration of an object depends on the mass of an object and the size of the force applied.  his third law says that when a force is applied to an object the object releases an equal force in the opposite direction.  We used these laws to help us create our roller coaster.

There were four people in each group, so there were four roles.  Each person had a role and they had to write fifteen sentences about that role.  The first role was the historian.  The historian looked up the history of roller coasters.  The second was the design engineer. The design engineer decided what to make the roller coaster out of and why.  The third role was the lawyer.  The lawyer found out the law suits of some states and made sure that the roller coaster is safe.  The last role is the physicist, which was my role.  I found out that a roller coaster has no engine and is driven by kinetic and potential energy.  I found out that how Newton's laws of motion affect a roller coaster.  And I found out that a roller coaster brakes/stops when the force of friction decreases kinetic energy or it runs out of momentum.  They also stop when the brakes push on the brake pads.  I found out that  gravity and inertia keep you in your seat/keep you from fallig out.

This is a picture of my roller coaster success.  My roller coaster worked because the hills gave the cars enough energy to go through the loops. I created this roller coaster on a stimulator.    Click here to go to the site I used and make your own roller coaster!

This is a picture of my roller coaster that I designed that failed.  My roller coaster failed because I did not have enough energy from the hills to get through the loops.

My group chose my roller coaster to be our group's roller coaster.  We drew it on paper and named it Scream X.  In this project I learned a lot about roller coasters, how they are built, and how forces and Newton's Laws of Motion affect them.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

The purpose of this project was to see how Newtons Laws of Physics or Motion, plays into culture. For example roller coasters. The three Laws of Newton are: First an object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force. Also an object in motion stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force which is the law of inertia. The second rule is acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the size of the net force applied. The final law is when an force is applied to an object the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.

There were four jobs in this project and here are there roles. The first job was the historian.That job was to find out the history of roller coasters. Like when was the first one made or what is the tallest one right now. The second job was the physicist. That job was to see how Newtons laws play into roller coasters. The third job was the lawyer. That job was to see how safety is involved in roller coasters. The final job and my job was the design engineer. My job was to see how roller coasters are designed. Also to see what they consider before making a roller coaster. For example they consider every inch on the ride and make sure it is safe. 

This is roller coaster was a failure because it had to much acceleration.

This roller coaster was a failure because it had to much acceleration and speed. Probably because the first hill was to big.

This roller coaster was a success because it had the right amount of speed and acceleration. I adjusted the first hill and thats probably why it worked.

Our roller coaster was called Demon Hills. It had all types of devilish features like horns on the loops. It was based really on nothing it was just an idea one of us came up with. Drawing the roller coaster was very fun.

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 09:13 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 52

In science class we are learning about Newton's Laws. Using these laws my group was able to build a roller coaster. Newton's first law is that an object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force  and an object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on. This is sometimes called the law of inertia. His second law is the acceleration of an object depends on its mass and the size of the net force applied. That means that the bigger the object is and the bigger the force is the faster the object will go. His third law is that when a force is applied to an object it exerts an equal force in the other direction. 

During the project we each had a job we had to do. There was a historian who researched the history of roller coasters. there was a physicist who found the science behind roller coasters. The design engineer found out how to build them and what they were made of , ad I was the laywer and I found out what the legalities of roller coasters were. I learned that all states require yearly inspections except Utah and Arizona. this is because they both have a very little amount of amusement parks.

While making the roller coasters we failed multiple times. The failed attempt in the picture failed because it had too much speed so it crashed. Finally we found success. It worked this time because it had enough speed to make it to the end but it didn't have too much. We named it  The Pretzel Twist because of its loops. The projact was very fun and I enjoyed building the coaster. If you would like to build a roller coaster click here.

failed attempt                                                                                                                                                   successful coaster

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

Our 6th grade class did a roller coaster project in science class. We did the project to see how Newton's Law of Motion works with roller coasters. These are Newton's Laws of Motion: 1st law- An objet atrest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force. It is also the same as the Law of Inertia. An object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.

2nd law-Acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object. The size of the of the net force increases and acceleration increases.

3rd law- When a force is applied to an object the object exets an equal force in the opposite direction.

The project has four roles. Those roles were the lawyer, the physist, the design enginer, and the historian. The lawyer had to research the safties and law suites for roller coasters. I was the physist. I had to research what kind of energy a roller coaster uses to make it work. I found that potential energy is the same as stored energy. You find potential energy when you're going up the hills. Kinetic energy is the energy you feel going down hill. It releases the potential energy that was stored up the hill. Friction is used to help slow down the coaster to a complete stop. The design enginer researched what roller coasters were made up back then and now. The historian had to research where roller coasters originated from and the frist roller coaster, the tallest one, etc.

This is one of my roller coasters that failed. It didn't work because it didn't have enough speed to get past the first  loop.

This is a roller coaster that was a success! It worked because it was fast enough to go through all the loops but not too much to crash.

The name of our roller coaster is the "Pretzel Twist". We had other ideas, but it was close to lunch and we were all hungry, so someone ended up says "How about we call it the 'Pretzel Twist'!" We all agreed and that's how we got the name. If you want to make your own roller coaster click here.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

In science class we are doing a project on roller coasters.  The purpose of this project was to use what we are learing about in science and apply it by building a roller coaster on an online simulator.  Newton's Three Laws of Motion apply to the building of a roller coaster.  Newton's Laws are 1. An object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force and an object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.  Friction and gravity can change the force.  2. The acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the size of the net force applied and as the net force increases, the acceleration increases.  3. When a force is applied to an object, the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.

There were four roles included in this project.  The first role was the historian and she found the history of roller coasters from the first ones to the present.  She also had to find out how they changed in height, materials, etc. and the name and place of the largest roller coaster.  The second role was the design engineer and he had to find out what materials were used to build roller coasters and how the designs changed on roller coasters.   He also had to find out the length of time from desighning to building the roller coaster.  The third role was the physicist and she had to figure out how roller coasters are tested.  She also had to figure out the height of hills versus loops.  The last role was the lawyer which is what I was.  The lawyer had to find out the safety regulations for roller coasters and amusement parks and I also had to find out the laws and regulations for rides and parks.

This roller coaster was a success because it had the right amount of speed and velocity to make it to the end.

This roller coaster failed because it had too much speed and crashed at the end. 

Our roller coaster was called Demon Hills because of all of the hills in the roller coaster especially the beginning hill.  To go to the site I used to create my roller coaster click here.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 09:46 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 56

My class did a project on roller coasters. We had to learn Newton's Laws of Motion. The first law is an object in motion stays in motion and an object at rest stays at rest. The first is also called the Law of Inertia. The second law is the acceleration of an object depends on the mass of an object. The third law is when a force is applied to an object it exerts in equal force in the opposite direction.

In your group you have to choose a role the choices are historian, design engineer, physicist, and lawyer. I was the design engineer. When you're a design engineer you have to decide what your roller coaster is going to look like. You have to decide what kind of materials you are going to use to make the coaster and how many cars you are going to have. When you are building the roller coaster you have to work with the physicist to decide how many hills your coaster is going to have. If you have too much energy in your speed then it will crash. When you are making a roller coaster you need to think about how gravity will affect the speed of the cars.

My group's coaster was called "The Defyer Of Gravity" it had three loops and three hills. This is a picture of the coaster
.

We also had a coaster that was a failure because the speed was to much and it didn't have enough momentum to stop it. The coaster had a big hill the speed of the coaster accelerated. This is a picture of our failure coaster. 

The velocity of this coaster affected the way it would stop. If you want to make your own coaster go to google and type in the Jason Project  and you can build your own coaster.

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

The purpose of this project was to learn about roller coasters and their history and physics. The three laws of motion are: 1.An object at rest will stay at rest unless it is acted on  by an unbalanced force. An object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and direction unless it is actedon by an unbalanced force. This law is often called the law of inertia. 2.Acceleration is produced when a force acts on a mass. The greater the mass (of the object being accelerated) the greater the amount of force needed (to accelerate the object). 3.For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.

There were four jobs. The lawyer, the design engineer, the physicist, and the historian. I was the historian. I had to find out the history of rollercoasters. I also had to find out the fastest, longest, tallest, and the biggest. Ryan was the physicist. Natasha was the design engineer. Drew was the lawyer.

The outcome of this project was to know the history, the laws, the physics, and the design of rollercoasters. The reason my first roller coaster failed is because it had to much speed and so it crashed. Here is a picture of the coaster that failed.

We called our coaster "The Abominable Taco".

The reason my second roller coaster was a success was because it had the right amount of speed. Here is a picture of the coaster that was a success.

Coaster Creator

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 116

In science class we had to design a roller coaster and go on a simulator to see if it would actually work. Before we could do that we had to look up information about roller coasters and how they're made and built. The purpose of this project was to see what forces and laws affect the building of roller coasters. One thing people building roller coasters have to look at is Newton's Three Laws of Motion. They affect if a roller coaster design will work. Sometimes a roller coaster can get stuck or crash through the station, and these laws can decide if it does that. The first law is an object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force, and an object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force. The first law is also called the law of inertia. Inertia basically means the same as the first law. The second law is the acceleration of and object depends on the mass of the object and size of the net force applied. Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity changes. Velocity is the speed of an object in a certain direction. The third law is when a force is applied to an object; the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.                                                                                                 

As I said before we had to look up information about roller coasters. I was in a group of four and each person had a role. They were design engineer, physicist, historian, and lawyer. For example the design engineer could look up the materials used in roller coasters and how the designs have changed. The physicist could look up the forces that affect roller coasters and how they are tested. The historian could look up the history of roller coasters and the record holders today. The lawyer could look up different laws and regulations of park rides and different lawsuits that have happened. I was the design engineer and I learned that roller coasters used to be just made of wood, but now most are made of steel. The wood they would use was Southern Yellow Pine or Douglas fir. Most of the design of a roller coaster is done on the computer.

After we finished our research we went on a coaster creator and designed different roller coasters, but not all of them worked. One failed coaster I made had too much energy and with its momentum crashed through the station. Then I finally made one that worked. It worked because it got enough energy on the first hill to make it through the ride, but not too much that it would crash through the station. That wasn't the one we used as our coaster though. We used a different one that worked for that same reason. We ended up calling it the Abominable Taco, because one person was thinking of tacos and the other the Abominable Snowman.

This is my failed coaster.

This is the coaster our team used.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

In science class we were doing a chapter on the Newton's Laws and did a project to make a roller coaster to understand how much science and math was involved in creating one.  Newton's first law is an object at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted on by an outside force and an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted on by an outside force, this law is also called the Law of Inertia.  Which means if a ball is at rest on the ground it will stay at rest unless an outside force, which would be you, moved it.  Newton's second law is acceleration of an object depends on mass of the object and the size of the net force applied.  Which means if you are pulling a wagon with twenty bricks and your friend pulls a wagon with twenty feathers, you (acting as the net force) will go slower than your friend because the mass in your wagon is heavier and you won't be able to pull it fast enough.  The third law is when a force is applied to an object the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.  Which means if you have a fan on a skateboard blowing into the sail on the other end they will cancel each other out. 

In the project there were four roles for everybody in the group.  There was the design engineer, who found out how roller coasters are designed.  The lawyer, who found out the legal matters in making roller coasters.  The physicist, who found out the science involved in a roller coaster, and the one I was, the historian which found out where the first roller coasters were built and where the tallest and fastest coasters are.  I found out that the first roller coasters were ice slides in St. Petersburg, Russia, and the tallest is Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey, USA.

This roller coaster was a success because it had enough kinetic energy to make it through the loops and hills and it didn't have to much so that it would crash.

This roller coaster failed because it didn't have enough speed and velocity to make it over the first loop.

We called our coaster the Sharp Pencil because we didn't know what to call it because we saw a pencil and decided to call it 'Pencil' but that was too boring so we called it the sharp pencil.

If you want to check out the roller coaster creator website click here.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 09:49 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

I am going to tell you about my roller coaster project and Newton's laws. Newton's first law is also called the law of inertia. It says an object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by a force. The second part of the first law is that an object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force. The second law says that the acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object, and the size of the net force applied. If the net force increases, the acceleration increases. Finally the third law says that when a force is applied to an object, the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction. In this project, my group went on a roller coaster online simulater, and measured potential energy and kinetic energy. We worked with velocity, speed, and other things you need to build a roller coaster.

The four roles in the project we had were the lawyer, physisist, design engineer, and historian. I was the physisist. I learned that the three laws of motion, combined with an understanding of motion perception, can explain a roller coaster ridein terms of changing direction, forces, and accelerations. I learned that potential energy means stored energy, and that kinetic energy is the energy of motion. The initial hill, or lift hill is the highest in the whole ride. The potential energy is greatest at the top of the lift hill. The kinetic energy is greatest at the bottom of the lift hill.

While trying out some roller coasters on the simulater, we had ones that failed and succeeded. Here is one that failed.

Now, here's the one that succeeded.

For this roller coaster, my team decided that we should name the roller coaster "Shark Attack" and make the cars sharks. If you want to try to make a roller coaster to you can go to the Jason Coaster Creator by clicking here.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

In class we created a roller coaster. Not just because, because of science. Roller coasters involves a lot of science like Newton's 3 laws. The first law for example states that an object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force. This law is sometimes called the Law of Inertia. Inertia is the same as law 1. The second law says that the acceleration of an object depends on the mass of an object and the size of net force applied. If the net force increases the acceleration increases. The third law is that when a force is applied to an object the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.

Each group had 4 people the physicist, the lawyer, the design engineer, and the historian. The physicist takes care of the science involved with roller coasters like
kinetic energy, potential energy, speed, and velocity. The lawyer gets information about the different lawsuits some parks have. The design engineer find out the layout of the roller coaster and what is needed material wise to make it work. My part was the historian and I had to find out the history of roller coasters and how the design and materials have changed over the years.

We used a caoster creater website to build a roller coasterof our own. In the end my roller coaster succeded the first time I tried but the second time it failed.

My first roller coaster worked because the hills were tall enough to give the right amount of energy to get through the hoop and the hoop got the carts over the second hill.

My second roller coaster failed because the last hill wasn't  steep enough to stop the roller coaster so it crashed.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 61

In science class we are learning about forces and had to come up with a roller coaster and build it online. We also learned about Newton's Three Laws of Motion. The first Law of Motion states that an object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force. An object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force. The Second Law of Motion states that acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the size of the net force applied. The net force will increase and the acceleration will increase. The Third Law of Motion states that when a force is applied to an object, the object exerts in an equal force in the opposite direction. 

In each group we had a physicist, a lawyer, a historian and a design engineer. The physicist would estimate the heights of the hills and the number of loops in the roller coaster. Velocity and momentum usually are a big part of the job. The lawyer would find out the laws and regulations for the roller coaster. The historian would find the history of the roller coaster and how roller coasters have changed. I was the design engineer. The design engineer would find out the materials you would use to build the roller coaster. The design engineer would also look at the terrain, surrounding rides, power lines, roads, lakes, and trees. While learning this I also learned that your inertia keeps you in the roller coaster car. Especially while in a loop.

When my team finally finished the project our roller coaster was a success, but we had a little trouble along the way.

This is my team's roller coaster design when it failed in the simulator. The reason it failed was because after the last hill it didn't have enough of a hill to stop the coaster car from moving. The final name our team chose for our roller coaster was Pretzel Twist. If you would like to make your own roller coaster creation, click here.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

In a roller coater, Newton's Laws apply to them greatly. In his first law, he talks about inertia. When the mass of an object is greater, the greater the inertia is. In his second law, he talks about acceleration. Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity changes. In his third law, he talks about force. All of his laws are required to have a roller coaster to work.

The roles that my group had to make the roller coaster were: the Historian, The Design Engineer, The Physicist, and The Lawyer. I had the Physicist. I had to find out all the physics that were involved in making a roller coaster. I found out that the speed of the coaster has to be great enough to make it into the station.  When you go over a hill, you can sometimes feel the gravatational force holding you in your seat. When you go around a turn at a high speed, you can feel the velocity. Potential and Kinetic energy help the coaster move around the track.

I built a roller coaster. It failed the first time, but it worked the second time. Here is my roller coaster that failed:

When I first tried my coaster, I had a loop after the drop and I had a hill after the loop. The hill slowed down the coaster a little bit, but it wasn't enough. The coaster reached the station, but crashed through the station.

Here is my roller that worked:

The reason my roller coaster worked was because I applied everything that I found out into the coaster. The coaster had a hill right after the lift hill. After that hill, I have a loop to slow the coaster down a little bit. After the loop, I had a drop to slow the coaster down more and a hill to make the coaster come into the station slow enough to make it stop. The coaster did stop without crashing though.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 09:48 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

In science class we learned Newton's laws of motion or also called Newton's laws of inertia. One of the laws is also called the law of inertia. The law of inertia says that an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted on by another forceand an object at rest tends to stay in rest unless acted on by another force. The second law says the acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the size of the net force applied. The last law says that when a force is apoplied to an object the object exerts an equl force in the opposite direction. When we finished the chapter in science about forces we started a project. The project was we had to design a roller coaster but before we designed it we each had to write about different jobs which help to make roller coasters. There was the lawyer, a phisicist, a design engineer, and a historian. Each person in the group had a different job.

The lawyer and I had to find out what laws are there in amusement parks, had do amusement parks avoid poeple sueing them, and accidents that happened on roller coasters. The physicist found out what forces were in a roller coaster. The design enginner found out what roller coaster were made of and how they are built. The historian found out what is the tallest, fastest, longest,and the first roller coaster. I was the lawyer and I found out about the different inventions made to keep roller coasters safe. An example is the chain dog. When you go up a hill the chain keeps the coster car from falling backwards.

When we were making the roller coasters we had to have the right amount of momentum, speed, and velocity. We also had to have gravitational force. The first couple  times it didn't work. This is a picture of my failed roller coaster

After several failed roller coasters we got a couple of successes in the end the roller coaster we chose looks like this.

We called our roller coaster Immortality. To create your own roller coaster click here.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 04:51 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

The purpose of this project is to learn more about Isacc Newton's three Laws of Motion.#1.An object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force, an object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force. #2.Acceleration of an object depends on mass of the object and the size of nets force applied. #3.When a force applies to an object the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction. We are supposed to build a coaster on a website,draw it ,and then give a presentation.

There are four roles in this project. The first role is the historian. They find out the history of roller coasters. Next there is the design engineer. They find out what materials are used and how the materials changed. Then there is the physist. They figure out how roller coasters are tested and the height of hills verses loops. Finally, there is the lawyer which is the part I did. I had to find out the laws and regulations for parks and rides.

The outcome of the project was pretty good but it took some time to get the coaster right.

This is my rolller coaster that failed because I had to much energy.

This is my roller coaster that succeded because it had the amount of speed to make it up the hill and stop when it was supposed to.
Finally, my group's roller coaster which is called the Scream X.  If you would like to try out the coaster creator click  HERE.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 09:48 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

My class had a project of building a roller coaster. But before we could go right on and do that we had to learn Newton's Three Laws. So here they are:

The first law states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object at motion stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force. This law is also called The Law of Inertia.

The second law says that the acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the net forced applied.

The third and final law tells us that when a force is applied to an object the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.

When we were done studying the laws we went on to build the roller coaster. Each person in the group had a specific role in the project. There was the physicist, the lawyer, the design engineer, and the historian. My job was the design engineer so I had to focus my attention on the building, materials of the roller coaster, and the designing of roller coasters. While doing research of a design engineer I learned a couple of facts such as to gain momentum you must build a first hill. The lawyer had to learn about the laws and safety of roller coasters. The historian had to write about the history of roller coasters from first to present, and how have they changed. The physicist had to figure out what kind of forces make a roller coaster work, the height of the hills, and how roller coasters are tested.

My group and I had decided that our roller coaster would be named Sharp Pencil. We had a very successful roller coaster with loops and hills which according to the simulator was a big hit. But we did have a fail here and there. We had designed the car of the roller coaster to be shaped as a pencil. Our roller coaster was inspired by a pencil laying on a desk. To show you our roller coaster fail and success I have put pictures of them at the end of this paragraph. Also if you would like to design your own roller coaster, click on the hyperlink Coaster Creator.

This is my roller coaster that failed. This roller coaster failed because it had too much speed and velocity.

This is the success roller coaster that I created. In the end my group used this roller coaster. This roller coaster had the right amount of speed, velocity, and car mass.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

We were learning in science class about forces.Then we got into groups to make a successful roller coaster.  Before we can make these roller coasters we had to learn about  Newton's Laws of Motion:

1. An object at rest stays in rest unless something acted on it by an outside force. An object in motion stays in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force. Friction and gravity can change the force.These laws are also called The Law of Interia.

2.Acceleration of an object depends on the mass of the object and the size of the net force applied to the object.

3. When a force is applied to an object the object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.

When we were done learning about the laws we went into are groups and decided who's going to be who. The roles were historian, lawer, design engineer, and physicist. I was the historian I learned about the tallest,fastest, and longest roller coasters in the world. The lawyer learned about safty for the park. The design engineer learned to gain momentum you have to build a first hill. The physicist learned  what kind of forces make a roller coaster work, the height of the hills, and how roller coasters are tested.  

My group decided to call the roller coaster Immortality. We had alot of successful roller coasters. Are cars are purple and yellow. I have some pictures of the succesful roller coaster and the failed one.

This is the failed one. It had too much speed.

This is the successful roller coaster

If you want to make your own roller coaster click on the hyperlink Coaster Creator.

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 09:40 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

In science class we about roller coasters and how they work. The main reason they work is based off of Newton's three law's. The First Law is also called the Law of Interia. The First Law says that a object will stay at rest or in motion unless acted on by another force. It is also called the Law of Inertia because interia means the same as law 1. Law 2 says that acceleration of an object depends on how much it weighs and the size of it. I f the net forces increase the acceleration increases. Law 3 When a force acts on the object  the object exerts the same amount of force in the opposite direction. You need momentum to stop the object.

Then after we learned everything about roller coasters we had a project about roller coaster where one person was a Lawyer, one was Physicist, one person as Historian, and one as Design Engineer. The Lawyer had to research laws about roller coasters in all states and around the world, and their restrictions. The Historian told about the history of roller coasters, the fastest, longest, and the oldest and anything to do with that. Design Engineer sees what you can use to make a roller coaster, how it works, and how it starts the roller coaster. Now the Physicist which was my job so i'll give you more info on it. The Physicist figures out all the information on how it works, what most are made of, what forces and energys come into play and how they test them. I learned that there are to main things of roller coaster needed are to energys Potential and Kinetic. Potential energy is the energy needed to get the roller coaster up hills and around yhe loops. Kinetic energy is the speed of the roller coaster going down hills and coming down in the loop. With out these energys roller coasters would not work.

The image below is my roller coaster attempt where it did not work. From the begging it was going fast after the first loop it was finishing but as it kept going it was going to fast and then went past the end. We did the roller coaster on The Jason Project Roller Coaster.

Finally our team got one to work. It was going to slow from the hill so we made it bigger. than it was to fast. Than we added another hill to slow it down. it was still to fast so we added a loop at the end and another hill. Than it worked and we couldn't think of a name, but than we found a pencil and wanted to call it ''The Pencil'' but thought it was too boring and called it the "The Sharp Pencil".

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 09:14 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

The purpose of this project was to see how Newton's law are used in making coasters. Newton's 3 law's in order are a object at rest stays at rest and a object at motion stays in motion unless stopped by an outside force. For example a soccer ball rolls until the friction of the grass makes it stop. The second law is an objects acceluration depends on the mass, size, and netforce of the object. For example a truck will go faster if it's mass is light. Newtom's third law says when a force of an object is applied a equal force is applied in the opposit direction. An example is when you hit a baseball with a bat. Force is very important in Newton's Laws.

In my group we had 4 jobs. Ap had the job of the phisist, AA had the lawyer, KS had design engenieer, and I had Histroian. The phisist job is to work out the phisicks, the lawyer's job is to find out coaster laws, the design engenieer job is to figure out the design of the coaster, and my job was to find the history of coasters. I found out that the first coasters were on mountains and were made of wood. 

This coaster failed because it did not have enough speed.

This coaster worked because it had enough speed for the loops but was able to slow down before crashing.

Our teams name for this coaster was Shark Attack. This project was very fun if you want to make a coaster cleck here.