Copyright (c) 2014 by Molly E Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Molly E -- Blogmeister

ME's Best Blog

7B

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Molly E

teacher: Mrs. Ruffing

Article posted May 15, 2013 at 02:10 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 112

For Social Studies class, we were assigned a project where we picked a European country out of a hat and had to make a report less than fifteen pages about our country.  We had to have a title page, table of contents, fast facts sheet (contains different facts), map, paragraphs about landforms, climate, government and currency, and culture.  We also had to explain three important historic events, a famous recipe from the country, a biography (there were other choices for the last two, but that is what I chose to do), and a works referenced page.  My country was Hungary, and this was a long process that took a long time.  The purpose of this project was to teach us about different European countries, Europe itself, and how American cultures and traditions are different from their cultures and traditions.

Article posted April 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 67

My class did a project where we created a technology survey, used the results to make a powerpoint, and then turned the powerpoint into an infographic.  First we had to create a survey.  We were each given a class to make the survey for, and my class was kindergarten.  Based on this, I created a survey that was appropriate for kindergarteners in Google Docs.  In Google Docs, we made the survey in a Google Form, which gave us the format for the survey.  The difficulty I encountered was making the survey simple enough so that they could understand.  If I had done anything differently, I would have added more options to some of the questions on my survey so that I had more to work with on my powerpoint.  I got the information for my powerpoint and infographic after the kindergarteners took the survey.  If you want to see my survey, click here.

The next step in our project was to use the results from the survey to make four slides using PowerPoint.  Our first slide was our title slide and our last three slides were our last three questions from our survey.  While we made our slides, we kept the CARP principles in mind so that we could make a good infographic.  In CARP, th C means contrast (contrasting colors).  It is important to have contrasting colors so that an infographing is easy to read.  The A in CARP meas alignment.  For example, if you are making a list, everything should be lined up and orderly-alignment makes the infographic easier to read.  The R in CARP means repetition-you should use the same colors in an infograhic.  The P means proximity.  This means that related things or topics should be near each other in the infographic.  It was important for us to follow the CARP principles because they kept us on the right track and gave us an idea on how to make our slides.  After we finished our slides, we saved each one as jpeg image and then lined it up.  I then saved it as one jpeg.  Infographics are a good source of information because they are educational.  They are easy to read because of the pictures, and ther are not that many words.  On the right is the infographic that I made with my survey results.  If you want to large my infographic, click on the small infogrphic to the right.

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 09:42 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

My class did a project where we had to create a roller coaster.  The purpose of this project was to learn about how forces and Newtons Laws of Motion are used in a roller coaster.  Newton's first law states that an object at rest stays at rest unless acted on by an outside force and that an object in motion stays in motion unless being acted on by an outside force.  His second law says that the acceleration of an object depends on the mass of an object and the size of the force applied.  his third law says that when a force is applied to an object the object releases an equal force in the opposite direction.  We used these laws to help us create our roller coaster.

There were four people in each group, so there were four roles.  Each person had a role and they had to write fifteen sentences about that role.  The first role was the historian.  The historian looked up the history of roller coasters.  The second was the design engineer. The design engineer decided what to make the roller coaster out of and why.  The third role was the lawyer.  The lawyer found out the law suits of some states and made sure that the roller coaster is safe.  The last role is the physicist, which was my role.  I found out that a roller coaster has no engine and is driven by kinetic and potential energy.  I found out that how Newton's laws of motion affect a roller coaster.  And I found out that a roller coaster brakes/stops when the force of friction decreases kinetic energy or it runs out of momentum.  They also stop when the brakes push on the brake pads.  I found out that  gravity and inertia keep you in your seat/keep you from fallig out.

This is a picture of my roller coaster success.  My roller coaster worked because the hills gave the cars enough energy to go through the loops. I created this roller coaster on a stimulator.    Click here to go to the site I used and make your own roller coaster!

This is a picture of my roller coaster that I designed that failed.  My roller coaster failed because I did not have enough energy from the hills to get through the loops.

My group chose my roller coaster to be our group's roller coaster.  We drew it on paper and named it Scream X.  In this project I learned a lot about roller coasters, how they are built, and how forces and Newton's Laws of Motion affect them.

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

During this school year our students in grades 2 through 8 completed the President’s Fitness Challenge. We took part in a variety of physical endurance tests. The sixth grade students charted the results for each event and grade. Here are the results of the Curl Up for grade 8. As you can see from the chart below, 13 or 43% of the students achieved Presidential Level,14 or 47% of the students achieved National Level, and 3 or 10% of the second graders were at Participant Level.

Descriction of the Event

Qualifying scores 

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

I did a glog on the Egyptian Goddess Seshat.  The purpose of this project was to learn how the god or goddess influenced Egyptian life.  We did our project on an Egyptian god or goddess because in social studies we were learning about Egypt.  To view the full size of my glog click here.

Article posted December 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 55

ME:  King Tut, it is an honor to speak with you today.  Thank you for being here.  May I ask you some questions about your life?

KT:  It's an honor to be here.  Glad I could come.  Of course you can ask me questions about my life.

ME: King Tut, when and where were you born?  Who were your parents?

KT: I was born in 1343 BC.  I was born in Amarna, the capital of Egypt at the time.  My father was Pharaoh Akhenaten and my mother was his wife Nefertiti.

ME: What was found in your tomb?  Where was your tomb found?  When was your tomb found?

KT: I was very rich, considering that I was Pharoah.  There were many things found in my tomb, such as a throne, statues, and bracelets.  My tomb was found in theValley of Kings, the traditional buriel place for kings.  My tomb was discovered in 1922.

ME: How old were you when you died and how did you die?

KT: I believe that I was 19 years old when I died.  Some historians think that I died because of abroken leg caused by maleria.  Others think that I died because of a head injury.

ME: Did you ever get married?  If so, who did you get married to?How old were you and your wife when you got married?

KT: Why yes, I did get married.  I was married to my half-sisterAnkhesenamon. I was nine and my wife was thirteen when we got married.  We tried to have children but sadly their was a miscarriage and we had a stillborn baby girl.

ME:  What is the Curse of King Tut?  Is it true?

KT:    The curse of King Tut says that death shall come to whoever disturbs the peathe pharaoh.  It was inscribed on the outside of my tomb.  The curse is belived to be true becauseLord Carnavon, the man who paid for the expedition, died shortly after my tomb was discovered.  There is no proof that this curse is true.

ME: How old were you when you became pharaoh?

KT:I was 9 years old when I becamepharaoh.  The reason was that my father died.  Also because I was his oldest son.

ME: Thank you for being with us today.  I learned a lot about your life.

KT: You're welcome.  It was my pleasure.

Information Credits:                         Image Credit:

Daily Mail Online                              Flickr

Homestead Online

Atlantic Online

Ancient Egypt Online

King Tut Online

Vinu Online

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 10:44 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 85

1.  I love animals.

2.  My favorite fpood is mashed potatoes.

3.  My favorite sport is softball.

4. I love the color blue.

5. My favorite candies are milkyways.

6. I have a dog named Teddy.

7. My favorite number is 11.

Article posted May 14, 2011 at 03:57 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

I am going to explain three of the twenty-six amendments.  The first amendment guarantees freedom of religion, freedom of speech, a free press, the right to assemble, and the right to petition the government when we want.  The sixteenth amendment gives the federal government the right to collect income tax.  The thirteenth amendment abolishes slavery.  It was adopted after the civil war. The twenty-six amendments work together to bring peace and fairness to the country.

Article posted May 14, 2011 at 03:46 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

There are seven articles of the Constitution.  Article One outlines the Legislative branch.  Article Two lays out the framework of the executive branch.  Article Three outlines the Judicial  branch.  Article Four talks about the relationship between the federal government and the states.  Article Five explains how the Constitution can be changed.  Article Six  makes it clear that the Constitution is the Supreme Law, which means that the states can't make laws against the Constitution.  Article Seven says that the Constitution will go into effect when it is ratified by nine states.

Article posted May 9, 2011 at 02:02 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

I'm going to tell you about the three principles the Constitution was based on.  The first principle was the Separation of Powers, which was the divided powers of the Legislative branch, the Executive branch, and the Judicial branch.  The second principle was the system of Checks and Balances, which meant that each branch had some authority over the other branches, limiting power in each branch.  It assured that the branches would have to work together.  The third was the principle of Shared Powers, which meant that the federal government shared some powers with the state government.  There are seven articles of the Constitution.  Article One outlines the Legislative branch.  Article Two lays out the frame ment of the executive branch.  Article Three outlines the Judicial  branch.  Article Four talks about the relationship between the federal government and the states.  Article Five explains how the Constitution can be changed.  Article Six  makes it clear that the Constitution is the Supreme Law, which means that the states can't make laws against the Constitution.  Article Seven says that the Constitution will go into effect when it is ratified by nine states.

Article posted May 2, 2011 at 02:11 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

I'm going to tell you about the Virginia Plan.  The Virginia Plan called for the government to be divided into three departments, or branches.  The first was the Legislative branch, which would enact the laws.  The second was the Executive branch, which would see that the laws were carried out.  The third was the Judicial branch, which would see that justice was done under the law.

Article posted April 18, 2011 at 02:07 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

The post explains what three problems the Articles of Confederation had.  Their first problem was that the Congress didn't have enough power.  The second problem was that they didn't have one leader. They were afraid he would end up like King George II back in England.  Their last problem was that they didn't have a court, which they desperately needed.

Article posted February 28, 2011 at 01:30 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

In my class we were put into groups to do research on a biome.  My group had the tundra, and we had to do research on either the climate, geography, or plants and animals of the tundra.  I did geography, and I found a lot of neat stuff.  We also had to make a glog about it, which is shown below.  If you want to see the full-size version, click here.

Article posted January 3, 2011 at 02:19 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 65

There are so many reasons not to smoke.  In my health class we have been talking about the negative effects of smoking.  One of the many dangers and reasons to quit is the nicotine inside the cigarette.  Nicotine is what makes smoking so addicting. Also, smoking kills your heart and lungs.  I think you should never start smoking.  Smoking is very bad for your body, so you are more likely to have a much shorter life.  When your older you may want to smoke because you think it is cool, but remember : smoking is NOT cool.  

Article posted November 9, 2010 at 06:32 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

In my school on National Young Readers Day we have local community leaders come to our school and read a book for us.  First came in the coach of Moravian Women's Basketball and read us Alley's Basketball Dream.  Next came in the coach of Moravian Football, along with two of the actual players.  They read us Game Day.  Finally came one of the state senators, and she read us Henry Box Brown ( a book about slaves ) .  I love to read, and reading is a very important thing in my life.  Reading helps you learn and be more creative.  So after you finish reading my blog, sit down and read a good book.

Article posted October 25, 2010 at 02:16 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

Hi, I'm going to tell you facts and give you information about conserving energy. This year in science I got a Think energy kit.  First of, when we use fossil fuels like oil, coal, iron, and gold, they are nonrenewable.  Once we use them they are gone.  Instead of using those sources, we could use the sun, wind turbines, and hydropower.  I learned that conservation even means not to pollute our water supply.  Also, electricity is a secondary resource.  There are many ways you can conserve energy in and out of your home.  For example, my family installed an aerator in our kitchen sink.  You can use CFLs, reduce, reuse, and recycle.  Thats it for now, but remember to save energy!

Image credit

Faucet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cayusa/330705878/

Article posted October 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

Hi everyone!  So far, I love fifth grade, so I have a lot of goals.  The first one is that I play the flute.  I hope to get really good at it and play many songs.  I also hope to get very good grades in school.  For sports I want to get better in soccer, basketball, softball, and dance.  In fifth grade I have a lot of homework to complete, and I plan to do all of it.  The last one is to become a better reader. That's it so goodbye for now!