Copyright (c) 2014 by JW Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
JW -- Blogmeister

JJ

7th Grade 09-10

Doniphan West Middle School Computer Classes

by JW

teacher: Mrs. Gatz

Title: Jayhawker Ch. 1-4 Blog A (11/06/09)
Description: The article that Mrs. Handke read in class about the current feud between Kansas and Missouri over sports is a modern day reflection of the war that took place during the territorial period in Kansas over the issue of slavery. These arguments seem rather trivial since the people feuding today had nothing to do with the problems of "Bleeding Kansas", nor were they there to witness them. In your blog comment on the trivial nature of this ongoing feud between the two states. (3-5 sentences)

I can’t see why Missouri and Kansas have to fight. You don’t see other states fighting over stuff that happened almost 150 years ago. These people have nothing to do with the civil war at all. If the fighting never occurred then there wouldn’t be fighting to day. Even though there was hatred in the states that doesn’t mean there still has to be today. Its just a Game.

Missouri and Kansas have been fighting again. I don’t know why they think that fighting will solve their problems. Ever since the beginning of Kansas people have fought about things like slavery and simple things like wining a football game. The Kansas side (the jayhawkers) thinks they are the best. And The Missouri side (the tigers) is mad because they think they are better than the best.

Blog A

I think that in the article the two states’ fighting is trivial because their war is only about a football game! Their war is silly because the real war was back in the 1800’s when they were fighting about slavery to end or stay. So Missouri and Kansas shouldn’t be fighting about who wins the game, because you don’t see other states arguing about the past and being so judgmental like they are. So I can’t seem to grasp why these two teams from both states are making people fight over whether who wins, and they are causing a bigger problem than it should be. And in reality this is dumb because the teams aren’t even the ones who are fighting with each other, it’s the crowd! And when they put on the William Quantrill and John Brown T-Shirts it’s not even okay because they were from a long time ago and their war is over so if people want to start it again it’s dumb.

Kansas and Misouri were at war 116 years ago and now they will play Football game and it will not be a clean one. In 1854 About 150 people including children were killed. If Kansas State wins then the Tigers will never have a chance at the big 12.  Now they will have to keep it together for the game. The game is merely a proxy for a war that never really ended.

Even though I was not there to witness it I, think it's just wierd to bring all this comotion about slaves and territories why can't we all be friend's instead of being enemys life should be peaceful between us. All that happened 150 years ago. People just need to let it go this war was fought between our great great great parents so don't let it bother you it's just some bad thing that Missourians are trying to start back up. We don't need a war right now any way it cost to much money anyway.

As Kansas and Missouri came together for a very big football game. People are fighting and calling each other names. But what they don't realize is that this is all over Kansas stealing the "Jayhawkers" name after the pro-slavery people to the KU name .The players don't really have anything to do with the fight. Its the fans that are starting the fighting. This is all over how Missouri and Kansas faught over pro-slavery and anit-slavery states.But what doesn't make since is that this happened 150 years before the game for nationals and nobody was even fighting in the same fights.

I think the sports incident between Kansas and Missouri was not necessary because the fans from both of the teams were getting worked up about something that happened a very long time ago. There was a lot of hatred between those two teams. The Missourians hated the Kansans because of John Brown, an abolitionist from Kansas, and wouldn’t forget about it. And the Kansans hated the Missourians because of Quantrill, a Bushwhacker from Missouri, and even though it probably went on with both of the teams fan’s grandparents and had nothing to do with the fans today but yet still both of the teams wouldn’t just think of the people who they are now. They had to think of the past.

I think the feuds over Missouri and Kansas is trivial because it happened 150 years ago. The Missourians (Bushwhackers) were mad over slavery and also Lawrence naming themselves the Jayhawkers like their team. This hatred started way back when the Civil War began it came through as William Quantrill raiding and attacking Lawrence, John Brown an abolistinist coming to stop slavery, also The Battle of Mine Creek. They didn’t really need to bring any of this back because like I said it happened a long time ago. And it was really dumb of the crowd to do all that like wear John Brown T- Shirts and the Quantrill jerseys.

I think that Kansas and Missouri people should putt all this behind them because it happend 150 years ago. I also think that they should stop whereing the John Brown shirts and Willem Qantirll unaforms. Even though they were both Kansas and Missouri leagens.I also think that the should also keep feelings to them selfs.

When my teacher read the article to us I thought these wars are pointless because in a game you fight to win for a bigger score and victor, but in war you fight for your life. The reason why this fight doesn’t matter today is because we have abolitionists we have proslavery, antislavery, we have all different kinds of people but our beliefs are able to be controlled by ourselves, if someone would say that’s not true don’t believe they would not believe. We still are like that sometimes if a friend doesn’t tell us to not do something we don’t we follow their traits and are like lost dogs, they were kind of like that. Another reason why is because we are not the same people we had back then, and the people after us won’t be exactly like us, we have different traits, and so will everybody else, even back then. This war happened years ago, and now we are different and less dramatic. We understand losses better now. They fight as hard as they can and then see who wins. After you think about it, if it was you or me I would be disappointed about how I was acting. Back then, the hatred between the Jayhawkers and Bushwackers was unreal, if I was fighting I would give up because the behavior was bad. Even if I was fighting for something I really cared about.

A big game took place between #2 Kansas Jayhawks (11-0) and #4 Missouri Tigers (10-1) each team trash talking the other because of 150 year old events of the civil war. Some Missouri fans would wear jerseys that had the name “Quantrill” because he was the man who burned Lawrence during the Civil War. Kansas would wear shirts that said “Kansas: Keeping America safe from Missouri since 1854”. I think that this is nonsense and was resolved 150 years ago and we should both set aside our differences and be friends. Even though one Missouri man said “I hate Kansas so much, I would rather have Kansas lose than Missouri win.” What I think may have caused this is that the Kansans named the team Jayhawks because that was the nickname given to Kansans during the Civil War.

The reason why this fight does not matter today is because we are not the people back then,Kansas and Missouri should not be fighting over a feud that happened years ago.Kansas and Missouri are both free states and have been for a long time.I think Kansans and Missourians should get along with eachother and not let history get in the way of friendship between Kansas and Missouri.

I think this battle between thoughts are pointless because it’s in the past and it’s unreasonable to bring it back after all of these years. I know everyone is open to ponder on their own opinions and actions, but why were they both still fueding over what took place during “Bleeding Kansas”? Personally, I would not be proud of the hating nature that went on, even if I was fighting for what I believed was right. It’s actually pretty awful to know how much hatred is existing between the two sides even now.

Kansas and Missouri had a big football game aginst eachother and they had a big fight about the Civil War. they brought back thing that had started 150 years ago. One Missourian would say to the Jayhawker "i dont like you because your great grandfather was in the Civil War". I think that it is pointless because these people they are fighting about are dead and it happened 150 years ago and so they hate eachother for something that happened 150 years ago.

Blog A

I think they should not be fighting over this because it’s not as important as it was back then.

The issue of slavery is a lot more important then football. There is no reason to be fighting over something that happened a long time ago.

I don’t think we should keep fighting over something that happened a long time ago. I think we should just think about the present and future. A game that is going on is just a game it’s not supposed to be a war.

I think that people should not be fighting over something they had to do with. Since everything is over and decided people shouldn't be fighting like what John Brown and William Quantrill. This war over slavery called "Bleeding Kansas" is very stupid now that things are decided.

There is no sense in fighting about slavery because it happened 150 years ago. No one needs to fight over all the slavery that went on in Missouri and Kansas that happened 150 years ago. All the people that were Bushwhackers or Jayhawkers have died. It is dumb to fight over the past.

William Quantrill was a Bushwhacker and John Brown was a Jayhawker. They were raiding each others towns. Quantrill raided Lawrence and John Brown raided many towns in Missouri. They fought over slavery. Kansas was a free state so they didn’t allow slavery, but Missouri which Quantrill was from had slavery.

The reason this fight doesn’t matter is because it is a football game and it is for fun and not for fights. The stuff they fight about are for pretty much know reason. They should play the game for excitement and fun of the players not for the fights of the people. I think the people should be kicked out if they start or in a fight that way they can leave the other people alone who acually want to watch the game. I think that Kansas and Missouri fans fight as brutal as the Civil War. Missouri and Kansas people called each other names. Mr. Hickerson said he would rather see Kansas lose then have Missouri win.

Bleeding Kansas was a bad year. There were slave owners, antislavery people, proslavery, and free-starters. People should not have slaves because every one should be free. On one should be treated this way.

In the article the two states Kansas and Missouri fought over a game. They were trying to bring in the states past of raiding and slavery back from 150 years ago. Like some people from Missouri wore a jersey with the name William Quantrill. William Quantrill was a man from Missouri who fought for slavery because it’s what he believed in. This made Kansas mad because William went over the border and raided Kansas towns which made Kansas mad because he also killed good men. The Kansas side was just the same way except they wore shirts with John Browns name on them. John Brown was a man from Kansas who wanted Kansas to be a free state. This made Missouri mad because John Brown led raids over the border into Missouri which made Missouri mad because he killed many good men. Both William Quantrill and John Brown chose to die for what they believed in either slavery or making Kansas a free state. But one thing I don’t understand about this is Missouri doesn’t believe in slavery anymore so why should it matter. It was so dumb that they fought over something like that and they called each other names.

I think that Kansas is better than Missouri in Basket ball and in the Bleeding Kansas times. In proslavery Missouri many people came to Antislavery Kansas because they thought that if they burned down Lawrence everything would be better. But they were way wrong. See Kansas fought back with there Jayhawkers. Kansas is a free state so look who won now.

This argument has a lot to do with the Jayhawker book. Like it talks about William Quantrill. It talks about pro- and anti- slavery people. It talks about the Civil war and the fact that KS was a Free State way before MO.

My name is Jeffrey. I am 12 years old. I have 2 brothers.I have 4 horses, 2 dogs and 1 cat. I like sports. I like riding horses. Locations of visitors to this page