06 HobbesFan's Blog

Welcome to our 4th grade class! We love receiving comments. Please, if you wish to comment, leave a URL or e-mail address so we can respond back to you.

teacher: Denton Dynamos

Article posted June 14, 2010 at 12:12 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 260

I became more responsible in fifth grade. I was trustworthy in Safety Patrol and Drama Club.    I learned that I am more dependable. I also found out that I became a better classmate. Also I like working in groups. 

One time I was at my Safety post and I faced to my right side.   There was a kid bleeding in the hallway. So I raced towards the kid to comfort him and while I was walking with the kid to the nurse’s office I thought that poor kid who got a cut. When the kid was in the nurse’s office I walked back to my post. Again I thought how proud I was for helping a bleeding child. I never missed a single day of Safety Patrol.

One day in Drama Club while everybody fooled around, I just sat there and cooperated with the high school kids. I sat with my hands folded and my chin on top of my hands. I wish practice would continue. It’s obvious to study my lines before the play. It’s responsible to me and the Drama Club teachers to not forget my lines.

I worked arduously in class. I paid attention to the speaker. I got ready for school by writing in my planner. Also I packed my bag. The most crucial thing to have in my bag was my homework in my folder. I did my work in groups. When I was done with my work I asked for more work. I did extra credit projects to get points for our team. Also I listened to other people’s words.

I grew dependable in fifth grade in Drama, Safety Patrol and in class. I’m still working on self control and writing composition, which makes me more responsible to myself.  I’m going to cease getting frustrated and impatient. I want to implement my faster writing composition. How did you think you grew in your grade?

Article posted June 1, 2010 at 12:50 AM GMT • comment • Reads 61

I had a great experience in fifth grade. I had some goals and I accomplished them. I felt proud that I attained them.   My goals for fifth grade were writing composition, writing neater, and also keeping my desk neat. I feel nervous and excited about going to 6th grade. One of my intentions will take my nervousness away from me. Another objective will bring me more excitement.

My original goals for fifth grade are that I improve my writing and also write neater.  I will use complete thoughts and edit.  In addition, I was going to keep my desk neat by not shoving supplies in my desk. I kept my desk neat by having a plan to make my desk look ideal.  Yes, I achieved my goals. I got better at my goals because I practiced them a lot. I learned to write more effectively by using figurative and meticulous compositions. Another technique of how I got better at writing is putting time and effort into writing a lot. I get better at writing by   reading more often   Reading helps me with writing. 

My first goal for 6th grade is to improve on math. One way I would get better at math is by doing math problems every day. I’m going to practice Algebra and Geometry over the summer to get ready for 6th grade. My second goal for 6th grade is having a neat locker. I’m going to have a neat locker by keep the supplies I need most on top and the supplies I don’t use much on the bottom. My aim goal for 6th grade is not being late for class. My first way of not being late to class is having my classroom numbers so I can find them. I could have a check list for each class and my supplies I need for that class. My final target for 6th Grade is being a better clarinetist. I get to be a better clarinetist by practicing my music for band. I’m going to make fewer mistakes in band. 

My goals are different  from fifth grade because I like to try new things. I’m also more mature now.

I hope to achieve my hopes and dreams for 6th grade. Maybe I will accomplish all of my goals for 6th grade. I’m going to complete  my goals for 6th grade by practicing. I will study a lot at home. 6th grade will be an adventure for me.

I had a great experience in fifth grade. I had some goals and I accomplished them. I felt proud that I accomplished them.   My goals for fifth grade were writing composition, writing neater, and also keeping my desk neat. I feel nervous and excited about going to 6th grade. One of my goals will take my nervousness away from me. Another goal will bring me more excitement.

My original goals for fifth grade are that I have better writing composition and also writing neater. In addition I was going to keep my desk neat by not shoving supplies in my desk. I kept my desk neat by having a plan to make my desk look ideal. Yes I achieved my goals. I got better at my goals be because I practiced them a lot. I got better at writing by writing figurative and meticulous writing. Another example of how I got better at writing is putting time and effort into writing a lot. Another way I get better at writing is that reading helps me with writing. 

My first goal for 6th grade is to be better at math. One way I would get better at math is by doing math problems every day to be good at math. I’m going to practice Algebra and geometry over the summer to get ready for 6th grade. My second goal for 6th grade is having a neat locker. I’m going to have a neat locker by keep the supplies I need most on top and the supplies I don’t use much on the bottom. My third goal for 6th grade is not being late for class. My first way of not being late to class is having my classroom numbers so I can find them. I could have a check list for each class and my supplies I need for that class. My final goal for 6th Grade is being a better clarinetist. I get to be a better clarinetist by practicing my music for band. I’m going to make fewer mistakes in band. 

My goals are different because I like to try new things. I’m also more mature now.

I hope to accomplish my hopes and dreams for 6th grade. Maybe I will accomplish all of my goals for 6th grade. I’m going to accomplish my goals for 6th grade by practicing. I will study a lot at home. 6th grade will be an adventure for me.

Article posted May 25, 2010 at 01:01 AM GMT • comment • Reads 91

My original goals for fifth grade are that I have better writing composition and also writing neater. In addition I was going to keep my desk neat by not shoving supplies in my desk. Yes I achieved my goals. I got better at my goals be because I practiced them a lot. I got better at writing by writing figurative and meticulous writing. Another example of how I got better at writing is putting time and effort into writing a lot. Another way I get better at writing is that reading helps me with writing. I kept my desk neat by having a plan to make my desk look ideal. 

My first goal for 6th grade is to be better at math. One way I  would get better at math is by doing math problems every day to be good at math. I’m going to practice Algebra and geometry over the summer to get ready for 6th grade. My second goal for 6th grade is having a neat locker. I’m going to have a neat locker by keep the supplies I need most on top and the supplies I don’t use much on the bottom. My third goal for 6th grade is not being late for class. My first way of not being late to class is having my classroom numbers so I can find them. I could have a check list for each class and my supplies I need for that class. My final goal for 6th Grade is being a better clarinetist. One way of being a better clarinetist is by practicing my music for band. My last way of being a better clarinetist is by making no wrong notes in band.

Article posted May 14, 2010 at 12:56 AM GMT • comment • Reads 78

It’s easy to make a decision to travel west on the Oregon Trail. Here are my reasons for going on the Oregon Trail. My first reason is that I’m going to do adventurous things. Another reason is that I would start a new life. My last reason is that I’m going to get rich.

My first reason to go on the Oregon Trail is I like adventure. Pioneers got to try new things like fighting the guards, and hunting for food. An excerpt from a fate is meeting the notorious Hot Heads which were dangerous. Another excerpt from a fate is that we had to trade with the Indians. I loved doing the Klondike Derby because it gave me a chance to be in the wilderness. I completed the Klondike Derby in the inclement, freezing cold for 6 hours. It was a team project. We had to pull a sled all the way until we finished. The Klondike Derby is the same as the Oregon Trail because the Oregon Trail was bumpy, dry, and cold. The Klondike Derby is like the Oregon Trail because the sled is like the Prairie Schooner and the Cub Scouts are like the oxen pulling the wagon. You also get to face difficulties and conquer them. On the Klondike Derby Trail, after awhile my heart said, “I am down in the dumps.” I think that’s how the pioneers felt when they were monotonously plodding on the Oregon Trail. When the Klondike Derby was done, my heart told me I was relieved it was over. I felt proud that I did it. That might have been how the pioneers felt when they reached Oregon.

My second reason I would go on the Oregon Trail is that I could start a new life. You get to help build a town. Also you get to name the streets. I thought “What should I name the streets? Maybe Oxen Road.” I like to name streets because I like to be in charge. If there was a street that had no name I would name it Converse Ave. which is my favorite type of Shoe Company. You get to build the type of home you want. If you are a farmer try to find a favorable space for a big farm. You can live in a cleaner environment.

My last reason why I would go to Oregon is to get rich. I would get rich by selling metal parts like hand implements that are not trivial. The more people there are trying to buy my tools, the more money I get. It is going to be a forest in Oregon and people are going to need ax heads to chop down trees and then make the homes. I would need to make farm implements like plows and horse shoes. In my life now, I get rich by putting the bottles into the machine that recycles bottles. I get money and put it in my piggy bank. Then I save it up for a Wii game. I want to be rich so that I can get the things I want to have.

I would choose to go west because I like adventure. I also would start a new life and get rich. If you do something hard and you share the news about what you did, then you will feel pride in your heart. So do something hard like going on the Oregon Trail. Would you choose to go west or not?

Article posted May 6, 2010 at 03:54 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

Being an only child can be hard. You probably would like to have a sibling to play with. Chances are they will turn out to be annoying so you should stick to being an only child. That is why I am an only child. Siblings can get you in trouble. You have to share with them. They make the house noisy. 

My first example is you do not have to share toys and books. 

One time my cousin Anna was tossing her ball up then my other cousin Eva wanted to play with the ball. Therefore, Anna threw the ball directly at Eva. Then Anna thought she never lets me play with her toys. Then I thought wow I do not want to have a brother or sister.

Another example is if you are an only child you are not blamed for things your sibling did. One time, I was watching   Drake and Josh. In the show, Drake threw a pillow behind the T.V and Josh was blamed for it.   Then I thought I do not want to have a brother or sister.

My last example is that the house is quiet. One time my cousins were playing tag inside the house. Then they got too noisy. I thought I would not like to have a sibling

Now you think no way I would not want a sibling. But if you have siblings deal with it. Sometimes siblings can be annoying and helpful to you. Those are my examples of being an only child

Article posted April 12, 2010 at 12:05 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 195

I think reading is important because it lets me imagine playing the roles of the characters. One example of imagination is Oliver Twist which lets me think about being an orphan. Another example of imagination is The Good Dog which lets me imagine being a dog. My final example of imagination is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe which lets me travel to a magical land.

Would you rather be an orphan or live with your parents? Oliver Twist makes me imagine I’m an orphan. I can feel how Oliver’s life was working in the workhouse. I would imagine if I was Oliver that people would yell at me and I would get whipped every day. Oliver was starving in the workhouse. He also didn’t get much of a meal. He got thin soup with an onion 3 times a day and also half a roll on Sundays. When I read the part of the book When Oliver gets brought before the chairman and he says “you’re an orphan”, it lets me imagine standing in front of the chairman and thepeople are being really derogatory to me.

Would you rather be a dog or a human? Did you ever try to find your friend by smelling for them? The Good Dog lets me imagine being a dog. McKinley (a dog) has a different exotic language than humans. He also has a great way to describe the tv (glowbox), clock (bellbox), school (gathering place where human pups meet), bed (the resting place), and a table (the sitting place). He doesn’t look for dogs, he sniffs them out. He has a pack, not a family. Dogs leave smell marks for other dogs, but not humans. After I read the book I pretended I was a dog. I barked, walked on fours, and went underneath the table.

If you have a wardrobe you can imagine you're in Narnia. The description of the beavers made me feel like I was in the story. When Aslan got killed on the stone table it made us blue. When the deceitful White Witch’s people jeered at Aslan it made me feel angry. Then when the White Witch killed him it made me want to kill her. When Alsan is alive and playing with Lucy and Susan it makes me feel thrilled. The book lets me imagine playing with Aslan at the Stone Table.

Reading is important because it helps me imagine. Some of the books that help me imagine are The Good Dog, the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, and Oliver Twist. They let me play the roles of the characters. I could be a dog, an orphan in the workhouse, and I can travel to a magical land. Why do you think reading is important?

Article posted March 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 278

Light, Screens, Action!

Light is very important in our lives. Video screens are one type of use that is very crucial to me.      Screens show pictures, words, and videos. Some examples of screens are DS, GPS, cell phone, T.V., computer, and a camera. 

Isaac Newton took a glass prism and made sunlight go through it. The light refracted through the glass prism and he saw colors. Newton saw red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. When colors are refracted,  red doesn’t bend as much as violet. Red is the longest wave length and violet is the shortest wave length. When you take all the colors of the rainbow and mix them you get white light. It also happens to our screens. 

Light reflects off an object. It goes to our eye so we can perceive the object clearly. When we look at a screen, light is emitted instead of reflected. We perceive images from a video screen.                    

By observing with a magnifying glass, it helped me learn how screens make images. Magnifying glasses refract the light so we can see a bigger image.      I observed with a magnifying glass my TV, my dad’s cell phone, my Grandpa John’s flat screen TV, and our computer. Screens make a glow with tiny dots. When you put a magnifying glass against a screen, and look into it you see red, green, and blue dots. When we look at the screen, we see tiny dots to form a picture. 

One group of red, green, and blue dots is called a pixel (picture element).  If red, green, and blue are on at full blast it creates a white light.  Different intensities make different shades of colors. For example,  if you mix red and green you get yellow. If you mix green and blue you get cyan. You can make 16 million colors. There are thousands of pixels on a screen that form a picture. 

This is how screens work. There are 3 types of screens. The first type is old fashion TV.     There are electric guns that create a picture on the screen. Plasma TVs have gases called Xenon and Neon. The red, green, and blue are rectangles. Liquid crystal display, (LCD) screens have liquid crystals and colored filters and they control the light.  

Screens are important in our lives. They are part of DS, GPS, cell phone, TV, computer, and a camera. Screens use the three primary colors red, green, and blue to form pictures, videos, and words. Screens are important in our lives because they give us games, TV shows, and news.                                                                                                                                     Sources     

Science Encyclopedia Backpack Books

Conceptual Physics by Paul G. Hewitt                                                                                                    

Article posted March 7, 2010 at 09:44 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 132

Gold earned by White

In the 2010 Winter Olympics at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, Shaun White won a gold medal in half pipe snowboarding event again. White’s score was 46.8. The score made him win a gold medal again. He won gold earlier in the  2006 Winter Olympics. He did well on his first lap.  He also did a second lap to make himself better. On his first lap he won, but he did a second lap to challenge himself. His first score was 46.8, and, the second run score was 48.4 out of 50. Then he did a trick at the end called the Tomahawk, which was also called a Double Mctwist 1260. I think it was amazing. 

Shaun White was born on September 3, 1986 in Carlsbad, California. He had heart surgery was he was little. He was a novice when he started snowboarding at age six and watched his older brother Jessie try it. When he was 13, Shaun participated in lots of competitions. In the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy he won gold for snowboarding. This is some of Shaun White’s biography.

In the history of snowboarding different people created different snowboards. The snowboards were created in the 1960’s and 1970’s. It became an Olympic sport in 1998. 

When he was on with Jay Leno he looked like a rock star. Shaun White was wearing a black shirt, jeans and a leather jacket with gold studs. On his hands and fingers were bracelets and rings and he had long curly red hair.  Shaun White’s picture was on the Wheaties box and Rolling Stone magazine. He said “I wanted to do something outstanding.” It took him 2 years to practice monotonously to do  a trick. At the Olympics he twisted his body to land.   When doing the Tomahawk, he flipped over and over. I like that trick. He feels a lot of pressure.  The tangible pressure gives Shaun White the will to do better. When he had 2 black eyes, a broken foot, and a broken hand, his Mom pushed him to skateboard again.

I’m going to tell you about why I choose the topic. Shaun White is interesting and a crucial member of the Olympic team because he won alot of gold medals. He is very popular because he is on a Wheates box, a Wii game and a rolling stone magazine. He entered the Olympics to challenge himself. He probably has great memories of the 2010 Winter Olympics, like snowboarding. It is inevitable that Shaun White perseveres in snow boarding.   

Sources   

www.sbhistory.de/                          

Article posted February 24, 2010 at 01:19 AM GMT • comment (10) • Reads 47

Hi this is 06 Hobbesfan the new Discussion Director for the week of February 23rd. We have to read from pg 54 to 117. 21cutepuppies is the Word Wizard. 16 yankeefan is the Quoteable Quoter. 11giantsfan is the Connecter. And lastly 06 hobbesfan is the Question Maker. Now here are some questions for my group to answer.

What is Natalie going to do in Moose's house?

Is life going to change with Natalie being around?

How is Moose going to feel when Natilie is around?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41028000/jpg/_41028510_narnia2.jpg

The South Paris Collaborative was watching The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. First we read the book, and then we watched the movie and took notes to make a blog. This blog is about comparing the book and movie. The book and movie have elements of fantasy. The elements of fantasy are also in my blog. I hope you enjoy this blog.

There are interesting elements to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Magic is one of the elements. Magic is crucial in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Here are some examples of magic in the book and movie. The book and movie have talking animals like Aslan the noble lion. The second example of magic is the stone table. It’s magic because it made Aslan live after he got killed on it. There are also Minotaurs and fawns which are in myths. The land of Narnia is a magic world that lies in the wardrobe. Narnia is very scenic in the spring. Aslan is good and the White Witch is evil. There is a lot of realism in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe because it has a lot of animals like the white stag and the trees in the book and movie. The children had to find Aslan because it was the quest for the children. The author’s purpose is that Aslan gave his life up for Edmund and sacrificing is good. Sacrificing is good because it helps the family. When you are sacrifice you teach a lesson for the person you are sacrificing for.

There are a lot of differences in the book and movie about characters. In the movie there is a butterfly lady but not in the book. In the book some animals and fawns are having a party and the White Witch turns them into stone even the table. Another difference in the book is that the children were already in the professor’s house in the beginning. But in the movie there is a war and bomb shelter and the train to take the children to their new home. At the very end of the movie Lucy tries to go back through Narnia in the wardrobe but the professor told Lucy you can’t go through the wardrobe again. In the book Lucy doesn’t go to the wardrobe. These are the differences from the movie and book.

There are a lot of similarities between the book and movie. The settings in the book and movie are close. The wardrobe brings the four children to Narnia. In both the book and movie there is also a lamp post in Narnia which separates the professor’s and the land of Narnia. Aslan (the lion) gets killed on the stone table. The stone table exists in the book and movie and is one of the crucial settings. The characters have a lot of similarities between the book and movie. The professor is in both the book and movie. Aslan (the lion) is one of the important characters in the book and movie. The White Witch is another character in the book and movie. There is also a fawn named Mr. Tummus which is in the book and in the movie. The last and most important characters are Edmund, Susan, Peter, and Lucy who are also are in the book and movie. It’s obvious that the four children were in the book because they are the main characters. The last similarity is action. The first example of action is that the children play hide and seek in the book and movie. The last example of action is the fight which was at the end of the book and movie. Those are the similarities between the book and movie.

I prefer the movie because it is more entertaining. The exotic beaver talked funny. It also was amusing when Edmund tripped in the snow and Mr. Tummus (the fawn) pushed the enemies out of his way. The last reason is that movie has a lot of action.

I like the book for different reasons. It has good meticulous language and you can imagine you were there. The language makes the settings tangible. I could feel the coldness in the air and the wind breezing heavily by. I could not feel my toes or fingers and I thought they would fall off. The book explains people’s emotions. But not in the movie. My last reason is that the book shows internal thinking.

There were elements of fantasy in both the book and movie. There are magic, a quest, good vs. evil, realism, and an author’s purpose. There were a few differences between the book and movie. I really enjoyed the movie because it was more amusing then the book. Fantasy books are ideal to read.

Article posted January 21, 2010 at 03:46 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 50

AJ's Concert Day "Help I need to practice!" AJ had a concert so he had to go through his music. AJ's door was open. His parents were reading across the hall. AJ's parents got annoyed at AJ. The next time AJ made a noise he would be grounded for a week from his drums. AJ's parents were very cross when they talked to AJ. But AJ said “ I need to practice for my concert”. His parents said in a very angry voice "yes only if you shut your door while practicing!" But AJ started to leave his door open. Then his dad could not stand the noise AJ was making. So he yelled at AJ. He had new rules for AJ," number 1 no practicing in his room, number 2 practice when I’m not home, number 3 you can practice only half a hour a day". His parents didn’t know how AJ felt.this is irritating. I'm so frustrated. This made AJ so angry he screamed at the top of his lungs. His dad thought AJ was annoying. I wish he would stop screaming this instant. So he said to AJ," quit that screaming at the top of your lungs". Then AJ stopped screaming because his voice hurt. So at dinner AJ told his parents how he felt. So the disscousin at dinner was that AJ said to his parents"please let me practice pretty please". AJ keenled on the floor and holding his hands together. They said" alright you can rehearse". AJ didn't be live his parents but it was true. So AJ went over his music all t [LINK]">he time until the concert. He went over his music when his dad wasn’t home. His parents were proud of AJ. AJ did so well his band won first place in the concert. AJ was proud of him self. This is how AJ's day went. AJ put a peace sign to the audince he said " peace out".  [LINK]">

[LINK]">

Article posted January 18, 2010 at 09:13 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 80

One Morning Dan woke up early. He walked into the kitchen and saw a funny man eating a cookie. He must be a leprechaun wondered Dan. So Dan requested “please may I have some gold so I can buy a DS game”? But the leprechaun didn’t have any. Suddenly at the moment two little sacks of gold fell out. Dan was out of breath so he asked quietly “Could I please keep these 2 sacks of gold”? The leprechaun said “yes”. So the exotic, boisterous Leprechaun and Dan shook hands. Gee this was my lucky St. Patrick’s Day.

My countries of origin are Ireland and Italy. The Italian traditions are eating spaghetti and lasagna. The Irish traditions are drinking tea. I think kilts are ludicrous. Both cultures gave me catholic religion. St. Joseph’s day is from Italy and St. Patrick’s day is from Ireland. On Sundays I go to church as a catholic and pray at night as a catholic.

I’m far away from my heritage. Even if I feel Irish and Italian, in my heart I feel American. We didn’t live in Italy or Ireland. We live in America. My great grandparents came over to America. They came over to America about a century. It was inevitable for the people in Ireland to speak English because the English came and set up schools in Ireland. When we speak English it doesn’t remind us of our countries of origin because we speak the same language as in Ireland. Ireland holidays are passed on into American culture because the Irish have been in America a long time. They have parades and festivals. You don’t have to go to Ireland to celebrate St. Patrick’s day. The Irish and Italian change traditions in America so people would be nicer to them. I’m not connected to Italy and Ireland because we don’t speak those languages to day.

Stories make me closer to my heritage because these stories make my heritage more tangible. I like to hear stories about my background. My mom sometimes told me stories about my ancestors coming to America on my mom’s side. My great grandfather Alphonso changed his name in America to George after the first president. He started his own construction business. His job was brick laying. . Wow I can picture my great grandfather laying bricks He’s building a fort for my mom. I thought that story was excellent. He must be meticulous about laying bricks.

Ireland was a poor country because it was badly treated by the English. My great grand father Daniel was out after curfew finding a doctor for his wife. He got caught by the British. This is what my mother’s grandmother said “the British wouldn’t leave my father alone so we had to go to America.”

Also my great aunt Norah tells stories about ancestors on my dad’s side. My dad had a cup of tea at my aunt Norah’s house. My aunt Norah talked about my great grandfather Patrick. He came from Ireland. He came from county Kerry. He was a tailor in America. Aunt Norah said” I’m proud of my parents because they taught me everything they knew.”

I think my heritage is great. It has interesting places and interesting things happen in those countries. But I feel American. I’m not close to my background. I think the stories about my ancestors are the best way to learn about my culture. We listen to the stories about my ancestors making America their home.

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there were planets and Jedi masters. “Dan, feel the force” said Anakin Skywalker to me, “use your light sabers to fight Sith, and make your passion Star Wars.” Then a voice said “Blog you will.” I immediately turned around to see who the voice was. First there was nothing. Then there was Yoda, the wise one. He has green skin and he is an unknown animal. “I understand, Master Yoda.” I zoomed out of the room immediately and sat down at my computer and wrote about my passion.

Star Wars is exotic because it is unusual, strange, and inclement. I loved Star Wars after I watched the movies. I like Star Wars to prove I like Star Wars I have toys, books, costumes, action figures, shirts, and legos. I think Star Wars is not trivial . Star Wars is six movies that are on a galaxy far, far away…. These movies take place a long time ago. The movies are about peace loving Jedi also known for protecting the galaxy. They protect the galaxy from the sith also known as bad guys. They have light sabers to duel. They also take wing around in space ships such as a pod racer, and twilight ( a space ship) . Star Wars is not tangible it is fiction. Star Wars is boisterous because there are duels and fights.

Since Star Wars has a lot of action which I like to act out. When I act out scenes I also make noises from the movies. When I act out Star Wars I usually have a weapon and a costume. I usually have light saber duels with my cousins. Acting lets me be a different person. It lets me imagine how the person does the acting. The actors aren’t preposterous.

I make time for my passion when I’m not working. I watch clips from the Star Wars movies at home on the computer. Everything around me, like books and toys is from Star Wars.

In the future I maybe a teacher and make experiments more exciting by using Star Wars toys in experiments. I will tell my grand children about Star Wars. In the future I will watch the movies again and again and also watch the new Star Wars movies and shows.

I would like to achieve becoming an actor, or writing books, and making movies. When I am film making I can use my imagination and feel glad.

Star Wars is my passion. I act it out with costumes and weapons. I read Star Wars books. It might be even more fun in the future to teach people about Star Wars.

I think Star Wars is ideal.

.

Article posted January 8, 2010 at 12:30 AM GMT • comment • Reads 64

The thing I love most is Star Wars experiences . I loved Star Wars after I watched the movies. I like Star Wars to prove I like Star Wars I have toys, books, costumes, action figures, shirts, and legos. Star Wars is six movies that are on a galaxy far, far away…. These movies take place time ago. The movies are about peace loving Jedi also know for protecting the galaxy. They protect the galaxy from the sith also know as bad guys. They have light sabers to duel. They also fly around in space ships such as pod racer, and twilight ( a space ship) .

Since Star Wars has a lot of action which I like to act out. When I act out scenes I also make noises from the movies. When I act out Star Wars I usually have a weapon and a costume. I usually have light saber duels with my cousins. Acting lets me be a different person. It lets me imagine how the person does the acting.

In the future I maybe a teacher and make experiments more fun by using Star Wars toys in experiments. I will tell my grand children about Star Wars. In the future I will watch the movies again and again and also watch the new Star Wars movies and shows.

I would like to achieve becoming an actor, or writing books, and making movies. When I am film making I can use my imagination and feel happy.

.

Article posted December 14, 2009 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 73

Parent/ teacher/student conference blog

It was my first time in a parent/ teacher conference. It was at 8:00 in the morning. My teachers and my parents’ and I met in the classroom. I sat in between mom and dad. When I heard I had to attend the discussion I did not feel fearful at all. I already know what it is like to be at conference. I was excited to hear how I did. Some other classmates said they were nervous, but I didn’t feel uneasy. Before the day of the meeting I reviewed the report card with my dad and mom. During the conference we talked about my reading improvements. Mrs. Parsi said that I advanced on writing from September. My teachers showed two of my essays and compared them. My educators told me that the December essay was better. Ms. Southard mentioned that I achieved a lot in math.

The forum was fabulous. My mom and dad said that I put a lot of effort into school My favorite moment was when Mrs. Parisi took out a chart and she pointed out how I made strides at writing. The chart lists vocabulary, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. The chart was meticulous. I was using higher level vocabulary. Mrs. Parisi said, “Dan, you did well at writing.” I felt ecstatic. This was like I was contemplating the Yankees win the World Series, but it felt like being part of the Yankees because I was accomplishing something myself.

After the conference my mom and dad talked to me about how much I toil in school. My parents were well pleased. I got to order pizza that night. Pizza is a tangible symbol to me because it shows my parents’ pride. I also got a thesaurus to help me with higher vocabulary so I can be an even better wordsmith.

My teachers feel that their students should be included in the conferences. I think it’s trivial for kids to be present for conferences. I would not want to attend conferences because I want my parents to tell me how I did. I would rather be at my grandparents’ house because they are fun to play with.

Parent/ teacher/student conference blog

It was my first time in a parent/ teacher conference. It was at 8:00 in the morning

We met in the classroom. I sat in between mom and dad. When I heard I had to attend the conference I did not feel worried at all. I already know what it was like to be at confer ence. I was excited to hear how I did. Some other classmates said they were nervous I didn’t feel nervous. Before the day of the conference I reviewed the report card with my dad and mom. During the conference we talked about reading improvements. Mrs. Parsi said that I improved on writing from September.

The conference was fabulous. My mom and dad said that I worked hard in school. My teachers showed two of my essays and compared them. My teachers told me that the December essay was better.

My favorite moment is when Mrs. Parisi took out a chart and she pointed out how I got better at writing. The chart lists vocabulary, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I was using higher level vocabulary. Mrs. Parisi said, “Dan, you did well at writing.” I felt ecstatic. This was like I was watching the Yankees win the World Series, but it felt like being part of the Yankees because I was accomplishing something myself.

After the conference my mom and dad talked to me about how hard I work in school. My parents were proud. I got to order pizza that night. I also got a thesaurus to help me with higher vocabulary so I can be even better wordsmith.

My teachers feel that their students should be included in the conferences. I don’t think kids should be included in the conferences. .I would not want to attend conferences because I want my parents to tell me how I did. I would rather be at my grandparents’ house because they are fun to play with.

Hi! I'm 06 Hobbesfan and I'm the new discussion director for the reading group,Denton Readers. We're reading a book from the series of The Secret of Droon that's called City in the Clouds. The book is about two friends going on an adventure to Droon to help save their friend, Neal, from not being a bug for the rest of his life. We were all assigned new jobs and here they are. 16 Yankeefan is the Word Wizard, 11 Giantsfan and 01 Salamina are the Conncters. 09 Ecuador is the Question Maker, and finally 07 Sportsfab is the Quotable Quoter. We're all working very hard and hoping the three friends will keep up the good work.

Article posted November 30, 2009 at 12:23 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 43

Star Wars in Concert

On Saturday I went to Star Wars in Concert. Star Wars in Concert is clips from different movies from the Star Wars saga with a full orchestra and a conductor, playing the theme songs of Star Wars. It took place at the Nassau Coliseum.

I won the tickets at a raffle. The Cub Scout leaders have a raffle every pack night. A little kid picked out the ticket. One of the leaders said the numbers “580216”. I won the tickets to Star Wars in Concert. I couldn’t believe my ears! That’s how I got the tickets.

I went to the concert with my friend Tommy and my parents. In the lobby of the Nassau Coliseum there was an enormous crowd.

My dad took a picture with Tommy and me and also a clone. He also took a picture with Tommy, me, an X-Wing Pilot and Emperor Palpatine. Then we went into the theatre and found our seats. The lights dimmed and the show started. There were clips from all the Star Wars movies and music. Anthony Daniels announced the Star Wars characters. In the movies Anthony Daniels played C3PO (a droid). The full orchestra was live on stage. From where we were sitting we saw lights and the color of the light saber blades in the audience. When the show ended we saw Star Wars props in the lobby. There was a statue of Yoda with his light saber. We took a picture in front of Darth Vader’s armor. We saw the masks of Kit Fitso and Plo Koon who are Jedis. In a showcase was a Nabbo pilot’s armor. We also saw the masks of the red and blue guards. They displayed Senator Palpatine’s robe. They had C3PO’s golden armor.

This was an awesome Star Wars day. We saw clips from the movies and saw Anthony Daniels. We heard the orchestra play the theme songs to Star Wars by John Williams. After the show we saw props from the Star Wars saga. “May the force be with you.”

Article posted November 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 88

My favorite book is Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days by Jeff Kinney. It’s about Greg Heffley’s tiresome summer vacation. He would like to spend summers in his house with the TV on, lights off, and the curtains closed. These are his plans for the summer. But his parents have different plans for him. Part of their list is going to the town pool. Some things happened to Greg. He got kicked out of the country club. He had a scary sleep over with his friend Rowley. Greg’s mom tried to get Greg to read. Greg’s dad got a dog. Greg’s plans were ruined by lots of people. Nothing worked out right.

I chose this book because it really tickles your funny bone. Another reason I chose this book is that I read the other books in the series before Dog Days came out. The other books were delightful and exciting. There is a comic on every page. They are hilarious.

You should read the book because it is entertaining. It will amuse you. You will laugh and smile. First you will smile then laugh and then laugh out loud. The summer is dull for Greg but for the reader it’s beguiling. Greg thinks it’s dreary and it’s knee slapping for the reader.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days by Jeff Kinney is my favorite book. It is about Greg Heffley’s summer vacation and you should read this book because it is humorous.

Article posted October 29, 2009 at 12:13 AM GMT • comment • Reads 58

Acceptance and Empathy Blog

Wow! I didn’t know that acceptance is so important to many people. I learned about acceptance by reading a book in school and by things that happen at school. In my reading group we are reading the book The Girl with 500 Middle Names. In the book there is this girl named Janie. There is also a bully named cross eyed Kristy. In the story the girl says to the bully I’m going to a new classroom with out any broken windows. The teacher was happy because she had one less paper to grade when Janie leaves. If Kristy was nice I think that Janie would be friends with her. Kristy didn’t accept Janie to be her friend. People treated Kristy differently because she has a disability with her eyes. She thought that other kids would attack her so she attacked first. When she went on the offensive she became a bully.

The time I wasn’t accepted

I wanted to play with some kids at the school play ground and one kid said that I couldn’t play because I wore hearing aids. That made me really upset and angry. Its not fair that kids with hearing aids can’t play. Then the leader of the game spoke up for me and said “ its okay if he plays now worry about your self. “ I thanked the leader for helping me out. My bucket was emptied because of the kid that made fun of me. That made me feel unwanted. I wanted to play tag with the other kids. I didn’t like that boy until the beginning of 5th grade. That is similar to the book because Kristy didn’t accept Janie.

The time I didn’t accept somebody

The time I didn’t allow some one to play a game was at recess. It was sunny and windy outside. My best friend and I were playing a spy game. He and I were spying on some one on the playground. We were on the top deck of the play ground.

Then some one said, “Can I play?” I said no. This is related to the book because nobody accepted Janie to play with her at recess at the rich school. I didn’t accept him because he is mean some times. He doesn’t accept me so I decided to get back at him by not accepting him. I think he felt rejected and hurt inside. The next time he asks to join us I will say yes because then he will accept me.

I learned about acceptance by reading the book, thinking about the time I wasn’t accepted, and the time I didn’t accept someone. If someone is not accepted the next time they won’t accept you. That’s going to be a bad pattern. If you accept someone that asks you to play they are more likely to accept you. That’s how acceptance is so important to many people.

These are the facts about the formation of the earth that I learned from these videos.

From the wind erosion video I learned that wind erosion causes small particles to be lifted and moved to a new place. Deflection is moving tiny particles from one place to another place. Plants can block wind erosion.

The water erosion video helped me learn that water erosion is removing solids by water and wind. Waves can wear away almost any thing. An example is a house.

From the lake formation video I learned that the Great Lakes were formed 14,000 years ago. Glaciers push the land away. The glaciers melt and form lakes.

The delta formation video taught me that a river delta is triangular shaped. A delta starts out as a small creek. They are made of rocks, sand, and dirt. They are formed at the end of a river.

In the mountain formation video I learned that the plates on the crust of the earth push together and slope up wards. Another way mountains are formed are by volcanoes.

From the island formation video I learned that a volcano erupts and then a month later the lava cools. Then it forms an island. Hawaii is an example of an island which was formed by volcanoes.

Here are the facts on how to present. You should speak clearly and slowly. Your voice level should be medium. You should look at the camera or audience. Try not to look at your script at all.

Wow! I learned a lot of facts from these videos. I also learned how to present.

Article posted October 5, 2009 at 12:31 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 64

Here are seven random facts about me. These are things that I like to do. 

I like to read the comic books Calvin and Hobbes. I imagine playing with them. I would go to Walt Disney World with them.  I think the comics are amusing. I got two Calvin and Hobbes books from the book order. 

I would like to meet the person who plays Jango Fett . Jango Fett is from Star Wars . He is a bounty hunter. He is the clone source of the clone army. I ‘m going to be Jango Fett for Halloween.  

I ‘m addicted to playing Indiana Jones and Star Wars games on my DS Lite. A DS Lite is a hand held video game with two screens. In order to play you need a DS card to fit in the top slot, the second slot is for a game pak. A DSi can take pictures.     

I have a big family. I enjoy spending time with my twelve cousins. Michael is my cousin and he is the oldest one. I have slept in Michael’s room.

Oreos are my favorite treat. I can eat two whole Oreos in one minute. My Grandpa has a supply of Oreos.   I get Oreos for dessert after lunch at his house. 

I like to go to Walt Disney World .Once I went on my birthday.  It has lots of Star Wars activities like a ride called Star Tours. There is a Jedi Training show with light sabers (glowing swords) and enemies.   I scared Darth Maul by giving him a fierce look. 

I like the way dirt bikes look. They are like motor cycles. The dirt bike helmets are really cool. These are seven random facts about things that I like to do.

Article posted September 21, 2009 at 05:52 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 64

My hopes and dreams for fifth are to be a better student by keeping my desk organized.  A messy desk is not good.  Sometimes I shove things in my desk and crush them and other things will fall out. We don’t have desks but we have seat sacks.  I hope I improve my writing.  I need complete thoughts and need to learn to edit. I shouldn’t erase I should cross out.  I should see a teacher or parent.  Those are my hopes and dreams for fifth grade.