15 MissSwiss-

Welcome to our 4th grade class! We love receiving comments. Please, if you wish to comment, leave a URL or e-mail address so we can respond back to you.

by teacher: Denton Dynamos

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 79

Do you know what happened in Conception,Chile? Was it a blizzard, a hurricane or a Tsunami? It was an earthquake of 8.8 magnitude on the Richter Scale. The epicenter was in the city of Conception in Chile. It occured on Saturday morning on February,27.

Chile is in South America west of Argentina and south of Peru. Chile is all the way on the east side of South America. Conception is a city located south of Santiago the capital of Chile. If you still do not know where Chile is it is in South America and it looks like a snake.

The plates rub against each other and they stick a little. Then when the rocks rub against each other, the pressure is released creating an earthquake. Earthquakes can cause many damages, deaths and serious injuries to many harmless people that did nothing wrong people.

When I heard what happened in Chile I was in complete shock. I felt scared, sad and angry. I felt these emotions because of the kids that were left orphans, people were left homeless and loved ones were perished. I felt angry because the United Nations weren't prepared for such natural disaster. There was also a lot of looting because there was lack of policing. I was very fearful because if the earthquake victims weren't rescued and treated quickly, infection would have spread to secondary unsanitary conditions. I feel sad because I cannot be close to them to support them and care for them but, I encourage everyone to send some from of aids to Chile to help. A large infrasture of the city was destroyed. Buildings were collapsed. Roads were crumbled.

This is  an interest to me because it has a lot of human tragedy. This earthquake involes about humans. This has a serious tragedy around the world. A tsunami will happen and it might hit other islands, like Hawaii.

After I heard about the earthquake I said "There have been a lot of damages everywhere and now it happened in Chile?" I called my friends to send aides to help Chile and sent e-mails around the world to help Chile. Chile needs a lot of help to repair the damages in Conception.

You should care about the situation because 723 people died during the earthquake and you should care about other human beings. If an earthquake happened to us people should help. We are all people. We have the same feelings for each other.We are all one big, helpful family that supports each other.

I'm hopeful that people are found alive under the ruble. My thoughts, prayers, heart and loves goes to the people in Chile.

You can go on http//:www.earthquakes.com to learn more.

At school we finished reading the book The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and finishing the movie. There were 5 elements to the story: magic, good vs. evil, realism, a quest and the author's purpose.

One element of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was magic. One example of magic was the wardrobe because that wardrobe led all of them to Narnia. That was magic because a wardrobe cannot lead you to a fantasy world. That is a one of the similarities between the book and the movie. Another element of magic was the White Witch's spell because she converted al of Narnia to have continues winter season. That was also another similarity between the book and the movie. A last element of magic was the time because when the children got older and went back the professor's thy were still the same age they were when they left. That was also another similarity between the book and the movie.

Another element of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was good vs. evil. One example of good vs. evil was the White Witch and Aslan. The White Witch was trying to get her kingdom back while Aslan was trying to free Narnia from the White Witch. This one similarities between the book and the movie. Another example of good vs. evil was at the beginning Peter, Susan and Lucy were against Edmund because Edmund was with the White Witch's side at first but then he was on Aslan's side. This is another similarity from the book and the movie .

Another element of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was realism. One example of realism was the blitz scene at the beginning. It was real because the blitz scene happened when the Germans tried to attack the British people. This is one of the differences that wasn't in the book but, was in the movie. Another example of realism was the kids getting sent away. That was real because the parents wanted to keep their children safe and the only way to do that was to send them away. This is another difference that was only shown in the movie not the book.

Another element of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was the quest. The quest was 2 Sons of Adam and 2 Daughters of Eve would sit in the 4 thrones in Cair Paravel and defeat the White Witch's curse once and for all.

A last element of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was the author's purpose. The author's purpose was to teach us that we should always stick together no matter what.

There were a lot similarities between the book and the movie. One similarity was that Lucy got to Narnia the same in the book. Lucy got to Narnia by walking through the wardrobe while her siblings were exploring the house. In the movie they were playing hide and seek. So, that is a difference. Another similarity was Mr. Tumnus let Lucy come to his house for some tea. When Lucy helped Mr. Tumnus with his packages and offered her to come to his house for some tea. Another similarity was when Lucy gets back from Narnia and her siblings do not believe her about Narnia. A last similarity was Edmund followed Lucy into the wardrobe.

There were differences but not as much as similarities. One difference was that in the book it didn't have the blitz scene at all. It only started at the part where the kids decide to play hide and seek. Another difference was that in the book it did not have the mother. Another difference was that in the book Mrs.McCready didn't pick up Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy from the train station. A lat difference I got that in the book Edmund doesn't break the window with a ball.

I liked the movie better because the music expresses the feeling and the settings make it look like Narnia is real.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was a great movie and book that taught to always stick together. It was a wonderful fantasy!

Article posted January 29, 2010 at 05:46 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

If you have been bullied or people have been mean to you go to [LINK] for more details. Nobody should be pushing you around. There is one thing you could do before you go to this website. Be assertive. You deserve to be treated right. Here is your chance.

Article posted January 26, 2010 at 04:05 PM GMT • comment (34) • Reads 43

In reading groups we are reading the book Fever 1793. Blake is the Word Wizard. Niko and Justin are Quotable Quoter. Brianna and Daniel are Connecters. Klaudia is Question Maker. I am Discusion Director

Listen!

Article posted January 20, 2010 at 03:02 AM GMT • comment • Reads 48

My favorite store is called Juicy Couture. I like Juicy Couture because It is very fashionable. Juicy has the best jewelery, clothes, perfume and charms for your necklace. For Christmas my uncle bought me 3 Juicy perfumes, 1 Juicy body lotion and 1 Juicy shower gel. Wow!That is a lot of Juicy stuff. When I grow up, I will go to Juicy Couture every time I want to and buy clothes or charms or perfume or jewelery. I will buy it with my own money. Go to [LINK] for more details.

GO JUICY COUTURE=http://!

[LINK]

Hi. If you like Lady Gaga and want to help then go to Lady Gaga's site that is [LINK]. Then if your parents allow you to go to the concert on Saturday, then you can buy a T-shirt of Lady Gaga and the money you spent on the shirt and concert, gets sended to Haiti for the repairments from the earthquake. Please help Haiti. Thank you.

Tina came home happily with a smile on her face. She came carrying a new cookbook. Tina dropped her book bag on the floor with a thump. She went into the kitchen where her mom was waiting for her.

“Hi, Mom!”

“Hello, Tina darling. How was school?”

"Good."

"Would you like a BLT sandwich?(beacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich)"

"Sure Mom!"

That evening Tina asked her mother “Mom, can we go to a Greek Restaurant for supper? Please.”

“Listen Tina, I have told you many times before that we cannot because I do not think that Greek food is nutritious because I think that Greek food has a lot of sodium, carbs, calories and trans fat. You can understand that right?” Georgia exclaimed to Tina.

Tina did not understand. I don't get it. My mom thinks that Greek food has a lot of sodium, carbs, calories, and trans fat?! Why!? I have asked her to take me to a Greek Restaurant for five years and she STILL does not let me go to a Greek Restaurant? Why? That is not fair! Come on mom! Tina felt like she was going to pull her out or she was going to yell so loud that the windows would break.

When Tina was 5 years old she asked to go to a Greek Restaurant. Then when it was Tina’s 6th birthday she had asked to go to a Greek Restaurant. When Tina was 7 she had asked to go to a Greek Restaurant for her name day. When Tina was 8 she had asked to go to a Greek Restaurant for getting 100% on the last 5 tests. When Tina was 9 years old she had asked if she could go to a Greek Restaurant for getting 1st place for ballet. Tina never got to go to a Greek Restaurant as you can tell. Even on special occasions.

Tina ran to her room and slammed the door as hard as she could so that it would make a boisterous noise. I wish my mom would let me at least try for once. But, I am Greek? Don't Greeks eat Greek food? Isn't it the right way to keep your heritage close you? Doesn't it make sense!

Tina got an idea. She grabbed her new cookbook and looked for Greek Salad. Tina found Greek Salad. Now let’s see what ingredients Greek Salad has. If it is nutritious I will show it to mom. If it is not nutritious I won't talk about Greek food again. Tina found out that Greek Salad is nutritious.

Tina ran downstairs and replied “Look mom. Greek Salad is nutritious!”

“Well lets stop talking and get cooking." Georgia made the Greek Salad for Tina.

“Thanks Mom.”

“Your welcome darling. I am so sorry I did not take you to a Greek Restaurant for five years. I will take you to Greek Restaurant whenever you'd like! I think I might be making Greek food everyday for you.”

“It’s O.K. Mom. That would be wonderful having Greek food everyday.”

They both enjoyed a healthy dinner together talking about Greek food Georgia could make for Tina when she comes back from school.

THE END

Article posted January 13, 2010 at 09:30 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 75

My family comes from different parts Greece. Whether one comes from northern or southern Greece, Greece offers unique holidays, rich traditions and delicious food. Let's explore the wonderful heritage of the Greek culture.

Some of the holidays that are celebrated in Greece are Apocries( apo-cr-ies), Oxi Day (o-h-i), Greek Independence Day, Clean Monday, Saracosti and Easter . Apocries is similar to Halloween. It is 3 weeks filled with parades, dancing and costume dressing. During this period, kids knock on doors for candy and other treats. Apocries is celebrated during the month of February. Oxi Day is when the Greeks denied Mussolini to conquer Greece. We celebrate it with parades and a day off from work and school on October 28. Greek Independence Day is celebrated on March 25, when the Greeks were liberated the Greeks and the Turkish occupation. Clean Monday is when the Greeks start preparing for Saracosti. They eat lagana, taramosalata and selfish. During Saracosti the Greeks fast for 40 days of Saracosti without eating meat. After Saracosti, comes Easter. On easter Sunday we eat lamb and break eggs which are painted red color.Whoever loses gets the other persons egg.

Some of the traditions include the

cutting the Vasilopita on New Year,s and finding the cross. On New Year's day the Greeks eat the Vasilopita(sweet bread). Inside the Vasilopita there is a coin. Whoever gets the coin has good fortune for the rest of the year.On January 6th is celebrated the throwing of the cross in the sea. Whichever swimmer grabs the cross first is blessed by the priest.

Some of the foods that Greeks eat are Souvlaki (Gyro), Spanakopita and Tiropita. Souvlaki is a traditional Greek food that has a selection of meat inside a pita bread . Spanakopita is spinach that is in five layers of filo dough with cheese inside. Tiropita on the other hand is cheese in five layers of filo dough seasoned with herbs.

Greece has many interesting holidays, different traditions and great food. What a rich culture! what a great country! I love Greece.

Article posted January 9, 2010 at 12:37 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 63

Music is my entire life. I live for music. Whenever I sing, I feel like I am soaring through clear, beautiful skies. The first time I heard it, I developed an immediate love for it. Whenever I get bored I think of a song and sing it the best I can. What keeps me from doing it are some of my peers. They say that I am not "cut out" for singing. That scorched my heart because I love to sing. I believe that I am great at singing. When I sing, I always think that one day I will become a famous singer. That used to only be a fantasy, but through chorus, it has become more of a reality. I got into All County, which is a place for students that get chosen for singing gracefully! The first time they said my name for All County, I stood up and my legs were shaking. I almost fell down! When I think of my passion in the future, I think of me singing a song I wrote at a concert in San Diego. I will chase my dream for as long as it takes. I will always revise mistakes I make while singing and fix them. I will always embrace and cherish the memories I have for singing forever.

Article posted December 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 43

Christmas is a great holiday that I love more than ST. Patrick's(my birthday). I love Christmas because the songs are really great, fun and joyful. Christmas get you out of the blues and get you happy and going.

My favorite Christmas song is Last Christmas. I love that song because it is about a girl (boy) being dumped secretly because on Christmas day she saw her boy(girl) friend was cheating on her.

The song was first written be WHAM! Then it was sung by Ashley Tisdale, Hilary Duff and Taylor Swift. You usually hear this song on the radio during Christmas time.

Christmas Songs are great songs to hear with your family and friends.

Previous Entries All Entries       All Titles Next Entries