Copyright (c) 2014 by Jenna T Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jenna T -- Blogmeister

JT's amazing blog

6A

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Jenna T

teacher: Mrs. Ruffing

The purpose of this project was to make our own roller coasters and have them good enough to work in real life. We had to make sure they would stop at the ending and make it over the loops and hills. I had to redo my blueprints for my roller coaster multiple times to make it work. Newton's three laws of motion are 1. An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. 2. Acceleration is produced when a force acts on a mass. The greater the mass (of the object being accelerated) the greater the amount of force needed (to accelerate the object). 3. For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.

In the project, there were eight groups of four. The students decided who wanted to do what job. The jobs were a lawyer, a historian, a physicist, and a design engineer. As the lawyer in the group, I found laws about the rides and amusement parks. I also found out lawsuits of the past and the present. The historian told the history of roller coasters from past to present. The physicist found out the forces of the roller coasters and how the coasters were built. The design engineer thinks of the design of the roller coaster and if it is safe for people to ride it. In this project I learned what a lawyer has to do when a new roller coaster comes out. They also have to find lawsuits about injuries on the rides. After a lawsuit, they have to tell people at the park to fix the hazards to prevent another injury.

The outcome of this project was a success because we ended up with a great drawing and presentation. All our teamwork paid off when we finally looked at our picture. It was very good and we really did work together. We picked the roller coaster together and worked out a name for it. We called it the Flying Squirrel of Terror. One of the carts was a squirrel and in front were two more carts that were acorns. We had the squirrel chasing after the nuts. We added water squirters, too. They were ment to look like rabies shooting out from a squirrel. 

This is a picture of my success. It worked because it stopped at the end and didn't crash through. It got up the hills and loops and was a success. 

This is my failure roller coaster. It didnt work because it crashed through the end of the roller coaster. It was too fast and powerful.  The outcome of this project was a success because we had a working roller coaster. To make our team roller coasters, we used BrainPop.

My school isn't just a place I go to learn because I also go there every Sunday for church. Our school has grades from kindergarten to eighth grade with up to 35 students in each class.

My school is the best because it provides many activities for the students to participate in. We have many sports teams, different clubs, and other activities that the kids can choose from. We also have carnivals and other fun things that we celebrate. Another reason why I'm proud to go to my school is because of the great education. We participate in the First in Math program and are currently first in the diocese. We learn many subjects and even have extra classes for students who might not get the lesson being taught and need a little help. My last reason why my school is the best is because of the people who work there. Our teachers are so nice and they teach the lesson very well. Our special classes help us to learn about music, art, etc. Our school's priests are so nice. We just celebrated our Monsignor's birthday. It was a great celebration and we will miss him very much when he retires soon.

I will miss my friends and all the teachers when I go to high school. I'll always remember my school and the memories I've made.

During this school year our students in grades 2 through 8 completed the President’s Fitness Challenge. We took part in a variety of physical endurance tests. The sixth grade students charted the results for each event and grade. Here are the results of the Curl Up for grade 2. As you can see from the chart below, 12 or 35.3% of the students achieved Presidential Level, 10 or 29.4% of the studentsachieved National Level, and 12 or 35.3% of the second graders were at Participant Level.

Description of the Event              

Qualifying scores

Hurricane Sandy affected many people. It was a category 2 storm but weakened down to a category 1 storm and occurred just in time for Halloween. It developed as a tropical wave in the Caribbean Sea in October. It caused many houses to lose power and blew trees down with its strong winds. It damaged many houses and killed 11 people. 

This storm put our power for one day from Monday night to Tuesday evening. It also affected my school because it was closed for a week. When my family took a walk around the neighborhood, we saw trees that had fallen down, broken fences, and no power in any houses. My friend still had no power when we got it back so she stayed with us for a night. My cousins in Connecticut didn't get to trick-or-treat because it was canceled from the storm. This storm will be always in my memory because of all the damage it had done.

Hurricane Sandy caused a lot of damage not just to the people in my area but everyone who experienced it. I will always remember it and the damage that it caused because it affected me in many different ways.

Information Sources: Hurricane information form CNN

Hurricane Sandy image by NOAA Environmental Visualization Lab under CC license 

I think Peter Reynold's point that he was trying to get across is that everyone can make their mark on the world. My glog shows my talents and how I want to help the world. In Peter Reynold's "The Dot" it shows that something little can inspire you to do something big. I hope my glog inspires people to make their own mark on the world. Click"> here to see my glog in its full size.

My class was learning about biomes. My group did a project on the deciduous forest. I created a glog to show you and tell you about the deciduous forest. We learned about the climate, geography, plant life, and animal life of the deciduous forest. To see the full size of my glog, click here.

I learned in health class that nicotine is the chemical in cigars that make it addictive. My class learned that there can be many bad effects if you start smoking like bad eye sight, breathing problems, and more. I made a person smoking who is lost and doesn't know where he is going. I also made two other people that didn't smoke who knew where they were going.  The message that I tried to show is that if you start to smoke, it doesn't help you in any way. Click on the image on the left to see my poster bigger and with more details.

My class did a project to conserve energy with PPL. I learned to recycle more, turn off lights, and take showers in less time. The project came with a conserve energy kit that my family uses. The kit helps my family use less energy than we need. We use sunlight instead of electricity. PPL helped my family save energy. To get more information go to Think Energy .

Image Credit

Faucet by Cayusa under CC license

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 06:25 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 77

1. When I grow up, I want to be an artist.

2. My favorite sport is soccer.

3. I like to play sports with my friends.

4. I take piano lessons.

5. I love animals, especially puppies!

6. I like to draw, paint, and color.

7. I have one brother and one sister.

In social studies we learned about the west and southwest regions of our country.  My project was to research the Kenai Fjords Glacier National Park.  I created a glog to share the information I found.  Click here to see the full size of my glog.