teacher: Wendy Fisher

In Down the Yukon a lot happens throughout the entire book. First Ethan loses the sawmill. Then Jason heads down stream in a race with this girl he likes a lot. They start off with a good lead until this guy named Donner comes along and smashes the canoe. They build a raft out of what they can find. After that, they come to this Indian village and the girl Jason is with, Jamie, can understand some Indian. When she tells them what happened through one girl they have at the Indian camp, they give them lots of food and a birch bark canoe. Also they tell them about a secret passage way that is supposed to be a lot shorter. When they get closer a guy tells them more and they find there way to the path. When they get there, they here a roar and run into a grizzly. Donner, there main competitor isn’t that far away. After all the commotion their dog ends up finding the river they needed to find. On the river everything goes smoothly until they reach the ocean. When they get there a guy fixes them up with the right gear in a one-third partnership. Donner hires guides so they follow them until they get ahead. Once they get ahead Jason and Jamie have little hope but paddle as hard as they can and end up getting to shore at about the same time. Jason’s dog ends up winning them the prize by tripping Donner’s partner. I predict they will go back to Dawson and then eventually take a trip to where the family they helped were going, and will live happily in Dawson with some kids of their own.

Article posted March 15, 2010 at 09:08 AM • comment • Reads 66 • see all articles