NJMA-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

A wordle of my blog!

For Many years the U.S. has been celebrating Columbus Day. The U.S celebrates it on the 2nd Monday in October. Columbus sailed to the new world in 1492. Many people think we shouldn't celebrate it but other people think we should celebrate Columbus day. I think the U.S should keep celebrating Columbus Day. Columbus really showed the America's to Europe so we should keep celebrating it. He is part of the reason America is how it is today.

First we should keep celebrating it because Christopher Columbus helped the natives. He gave them valuable technology. Such as the wheel. Before he came they didn't have the wheel or any other technology. Also before he came the natives weren't able to exploit the natural resources or the world so when Columbus got there he did. People who are against Columbus day day that he just came and took all their riches but before he got there the natives weren't even taking any of them

Second many people believe that we should celebrate the Spanish or Italian heritage instead of Columbus. They think this because the Spanish are the ones that gave him the ships and the money to get there. Without them he wouldn't of made it to the new world. But when you celebrate Columbus day you are also celebrating Italian and Spanish Heritage in the U.S. We are celebrating this because Columbus is and Italian Navigator and he sailed for the Spanish so we are celebrating both of the Heritage's and Columbus. We are celebrating both Spanish and Italian heritage as well as Columbus.

Finally I think we should Celebrate Columbus day is because he brought the Christianity to the natives. Many people believe that Columbus destroyed the natives religion. But if Columbus didn't bring Christianity to the natives then they would of kept doing human sacrifices. Columbus stopped that and had them convert to Christianity. Without Columbus they would still be doing human sacrifices.

I think we should continue to celebrate Columbus Day because we are celebrating Italian and Spanish Heritage, he helped the natives and because he brought Christianity to the natives. Columbus began Colonizing the America's and without him we might not even of been here. Columbus is Part of the reason America is how it is today.

The Singing Bridge

Driving Driving Driving Along

You Drive Past the Traffic Circle

Driving Driving Driving Along

Out of Rye and into Portsmouth

Driving Driving Driving Along

Past the Golden Egg

Driving Driving Driving Along

Then Your There at The Singing Bridge

Your Wheels go onto the Bridge

Then Your Car

Suddenly

Its Like A Song

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hummmmmmm

A Beautiful Song

It fills your mind

You look out At the Water

See The Boats Pass By

While You Listen to That

Beautiful Song

A Beautiful

Beautiful Song

Then Your off The bridge

And That

Beautiful Beautiful Song

is Over

My Stock Market Portfolio consists of three public companies that I thought would make me a profit. They are eBay, Walmart, and Walt Disney. I picked eBay because lots of people like eBay and I think eBay is really cool so I wanted to see if eBay was doing well and how they were doing over time. I also picked it to see if I should ever actually invest in eBay. I also Picked Walmart for one big reason. I don't like Walmart and I never have. So I wanted to see how they were doing and it was a last minute exchange for Pier 1 but now I wish I picked Pier 1. I picked Walt Disney just randomly. I really don't know why I picked it I just did. Those are the stocks that I picked from the stock market.

Now that I've sold my stocks I wish that I kept Pier 1 instead of Walmart. Pier 1 did a lot better than Walmart and they have been making money. Walmart hasn't and I lost $100 or more from Walmart. I also wish that I could change eBay into apple, because apple has been doing so well. Especially with the new iPad now I wish I did Apple. Their stocks went up about $200 since we started the stock market project. I wouldn't change Walt Disney because they have been doing so well. I've made a lot of money from them. Only to lose part of it because of Waltmart. Walt Disney basicly kept me in the Black instead of the red. Now I wish I switched stocks so that I could of made more of a profit. Even though its not really money.

I have some advice for people next year who are going to do the stocks. You definetly need to reseach a lot before you finally pick your stocks. Don't just pick stocks because your friends did. You should research how they have been doing before you pick them. Some good stocks are google, apple, and pennie stocks are always good. They tend to go up and when they do if you have enough you will make a lot of money off of them. So research a lot before you pick the stocks. Maybe go on google and see what will make you money.

A couple weeks ago was Earth Day where everyone was broadcasting about ways to cut down on trash and just help the earth. During school a couple of weeks before that we had a group of people come in. They helped us sort though all trash from that day and the day before that. A group of volunteers from each of our classes got in gloves and aprons, so they wouldn't get dirty. They dumped out all of the trash out of the bags and sorted through them. There were three groups of food. Trash that would go to the landfills, recyclable things, and Compostable things. We ahd about 87 pounds of trash before we sorted though it all. But when we were done sorting through things we had reduced it down to 25 pound of trash about 51 pounds of compostable trash and 9 pounds of recyclable stuff. It doesn't add up because some of it was liquids and little things we really couldn't pick up. It was very gross but showed us how we can reduce down the amount of trash that goes into landfills. 

Another thing thing we did was the Earth Cast. A few of people from each of the classes were in little groups with different assignments for everyone. We had a greeter and a question answering person. They just typed on the computers. Then there were intro people and outro people who also answered questions and talked about things that we did. It was really fun and each class said something different. There were also other people in different schools or organizations that talked too. It went on for 24 hours. From 8pm the night before earth day to 8pm the night of Earth Day. it was very inspirational.

This is my scanner project for L.A. I read the Book Crispin. The sword is there because he uses it to save his life. The Bear is there because one of the main characters name was Bear. The cross is Like the main part of the story. I can't say why. It will give it away. The coins are there because someone said he stole coins when he really didn't. The ball is there because it represents a juggling ball and bear juggles and the flag is there because its Englands flag and it takes place in England.

The scanning was actually very easy. We had how to do it on the side of the computer so It was very easy to use it. There really isn't any easier way to use it

This is my spreadsheet. I picked three stocks. Ebay, Walt Disney, and Walmart. We started our stocks on November 19 2009 and we're going to end on April 22, 2010. We started a spread sheet so we could see if we were gaining money or losing money. At first everything that I had I was losing money with but now, I'm gaining money. This was from Thursday April 1, 2010 so now I'm still gaining but Walmart is losing. This is to teach us how to use stock and what happens in everyday life. Those are my stocks.

Our Favorite Colors!

This is a wordle of a graph of our favorite colors. We wrote them down and then graphed them. Then we sent them to Belize where the students there wrote and graphed their favorite colors. As you can see Blue was the color most people liked.

This is my wordle. If you go on a website you can type something in and press create and it takes the most used words and makes this! This is from a lightning story that I had. Here is my story....

THE LIGHTNING HUNTERS

One day me and my sister were inside. We were very young. It was raining out so we couldn't go outside and we were both very bored. Soon it started to thunder and lightning. Me and my sister later went up to my room. We got on these cool little outfits and opened my window. It didn't have a screen in so you could reach you hand outside. We took a pin wheel. One that you put in the ground that spins when the wind comes, and stuck it out the window. Trying to get lightning to hit it. Yes I know, we weren't very smart. Lucky no lightning hit it. And that's the story of the LIGHTING HUNTERS.