file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHJ5C05%7E1.RJH%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHJ5C05%7E1.RJH%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" />

file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHJ5C05%7E1.RJH%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx" target="_blank">file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHJ5C05%7E1.RJH%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx" rel="themeData" />

file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHJ5C05%7E1.RJH%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHJ5C05%7E1.RJH%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" rel="colorSchemeMapping" />

The United States celebrates Columbus Day because Columbus discovered America.  But, he thought he discovered Asia. He really wasn’t the first person to discover America. People shouldn’t celebrate Columbus Day because he wasn’t really nice to the native Americans.   Columbus turned the natives into slaves.  He brought some of them back to Europe so they would be slaves.  Because he traveled by ship, he brought diseases back on his ships. Christopher Columbus was mean.

If we celebrate Columbus, we should celebrate all of the explorers.  Magellan sailed around the world.  Because of all the explorers, we have spices and different things that we trade.  The explorers found new trade routes.

I think that Columbus shouldn’t be the only explorer we celebrate.  People get the day off from work because of him, but other explorers did things we should celebrate.

There was an old man named Mr. Woodwell. Skiff's mom had died. Tyler Croft was a mean person. Skiff lived with his dad. His dad was drunk all the time. Skiff was 12 years old.

Tyler Croft was always making fun of Skiff. He always called Skiff a cry baby. Skiff thought he was really mean.

One morning, he went down to the docks and he saw that the Mary Rose was sinking! He asked his dad for help, but his dad said no. His dad just wanted to keep drinking. So, Skiff went to Mr. Woodwell's house to ask for help. Mr. Woodwell was a very nice man. He told Skiff to tie a rope to two kegs and some pieces of wood to make the boat float back up.

Once Skiff got the Mary Rose up on the surface, he found out that the motor didn't start. Mr. Woodwell helped him fix the leaks on the bottom of the boat. Now the boat floated, but he needed a new starter. He didn't have enough money to fix the motor.

To earn money to fix Mary Rose's engine, Skiff decided to set lobster traps. He didn't earn enough money with the lobsters though, because Tyler Croft was cutting his traps.

Skiff felt very sad and very mad. Tyler was so mean. Skiff got an idea. He was going to go out into the ocean and catch a fish. He was going to catch a huge blue fin tuna to sell to Mr. Nagahachi.

It was very hard to catch the blue fin tuna. Skiff fell in the water. He thought he was going to die, but he didn't die after all. He caught the biggest blue fin tuna in Maine that season. His name was in the paper. His dad stopped drinking.

This book was good. My favorite part was Skiff caught Tyler Croft cutting his traps. I felt sad because Skiff Beaman caught him and he couldn't get Tyler in trouble because nobody would believe it was Tyler. The happiest part in the book was that Skiff's dad stopped drinking. I would recommend this book because it's a good book. You can read it or listen to it on tape.

We went to the cafeteria. We looked at our trash. We collected the trash from lunch for two days. There was a lot of trash. There was about 85 lbs of trash total. We opened up the bags and dumped them on the floor. Then we looked for things that we could recycle or compost. Then we weighed the trash that would go to a landfill. In the end there were only 25 lbs of trash that would go right to the landfill. That really surprised me.

We did all of that so we could make sure we found everything we could recycle. I liked the activity. Some things that could be recycled are: plastic bottles, plastic containers for yogurt, soda cans, and aluminum foil. Some things that could be composted are: milk cartons, eggs, leftover chicken, and leftover pizza. I learned about how our trash goes to a landfill. They haul all of the trash away in big trucks. I was really surprised at how much we were wasting.

One day we each brought a disposable item to class. I brought in a chocolate chip ice cream container. People throw away the containers after they eat the ice cream. We looked at everything that we throw away at home. We had to look at what we need to throw away and what we can recycle or compost. We recycle at my house, but we don't compost. We have compost bins at school, though.

Weather Wordle

title="Wordle: Hurricanes">
src="http://www.wordle.net/thumb/wrdl/1805205/Hurricanes"

alt="Wordle: Hurricanes"

style="padding:4px;border:1px solid #ddd">

I did my speech on Connie. She is my health aide. I like to see her after school because she's special.

I am a Roman soldier. My name is Agustus. I am twenty years old because that is how old a soldier has to be.  There are no women in the Roman army, just men.  I carry a weapon that looks like a stick, it is called a sword, it is very sharp on the end.

When I fought in battle I wore a helmet to protect my head.  To protect my body I carried a shield.

Because the Roman army was very organized, I ate with them and we sometimes slept in tents.  I get a lot of exercise by running, marching and practice-fighting.  I obey my rulers so I don’t get in trouble.

First, we picked out pictures from magazines and cut them out. Then, we glued them to the canvas with mod podge. I put a map of the United States on it. After that, we treated the canvas with gesso, and painted with acryllic paint.

Love lifts up your heart like low air pressure.