bjim

Should the US continue to celebrate Columbus day

“Christopher Columbus sailed the Ocean blue” That is what we teach our little school kids these days. Christopher landed on the Bahamas and thinking he found the western indies but, instead he found a whole other continent and he didn't realize he actually had found a whole other world in a way. What Christopher had found is going to change the entire world from them on.

Columbus day in my opinion should not be celebrated because of many reasons but im only going to show you 3 of them. The first reason would be The fact that Columbus brought genocide to the native population and culture he had actually thought he was the first one to discover the New world but instead he destroys the native population by showing the Eastern world the New world. The second reason was the fact that he had brought over Eastern religion the Catholic Faith. What the Christian/Catholic Faith did to the New World was it forced Natives to join in that Religion and have their own religions destroyed. Meaning he brought over the destruction of Most Native religions by forcing everyone he came into contact with The Christian/Catholic Faith. The 3rd and final reason why Christopher Columbus Should not be celebrated is that he began the exploitation of The New Worlds Resources. So what I mean is that he had started the Age of Exploration but, so people came over to check out the New World and Started using its resources and started Exploiting. The resources that we started using once we had established colonies and we got situated we started exporting most of our resources or using them like Tobacco and the Timber we have here like during the time that the colonies where here 95% of all trees here where cut down and they used the land for farming not even noticing they had taken out most of the forestry here.

I think Columbus Did not do this indirectly do this but brought the destruction of many different things like Our resources including Timber and Tobacco mainly because of how popular it had become in Europe. And how Christopher Columbus had destroyed many native American lives by either killing them with their diseases or just forcing them to leave there own homes because of his selfishness. These are all the the reasons why Columbus day should not be continued.

Bridges

The 3 bridges that connect Portsmouth to Maine are The Piscataqua, The Memorial, The Sarah Mildred Longhorn. These Bridges are located in Portsmouth New Hampshire they are a main source of transportation Meaning they connect us to Maine so that it is easier to travel instead of having to try to go around the Marshes and The Piscataqua River. The Piscataqua Bridge is in average condition and does not need much attention compared to the other 2 bridges. The memorial Bridge is in very bad condition the big concrete blocks that hold it out of the water have sunk 82 feet into the bedrock. The Memorial bridge has 2 to 5 years left because of how bad its condition is. The Sarah Mildred Bridge has actually 6 to 7 years left on it but, it is in not as bad of a condition compared to the Memorial Bridge. These Bridges are important to Portsmouth and Maine and will have a giant impact on our economy and our daily lives but for now we will do what we can to keep our Bridges.

1st Person Account of what it’s like between a Roman and a Caledonian

Hi, my name is Octavius; I’m going to tell you about us Romans compared to the Caledonians. There are a lot of things imp going to tell you about us Romans and the Caledonians. First thing I’m going to compare us Romans to the Caledonians is that we are in my perspective is that we are much better armored than they are.

The spear ( the pilium) had a 10 inch point and was made out of soft iron, We could throw the spear over 30 meters into the enemy another thing is that when you threw it and it hit the enemies shield it would bend and the enemy couldn’t throw it back at us. The Caledonians on the other hand had spears that had a hard jagged tip that when they hit you they left a bad wound and if you tried to pull it out it would create another wound. Us Romans had a leather tunic under a metal Breast plate called body armor ( the lorica)  witch had metal plates land over each other and they were hinged on the back so that they fit easily over our body. The Caledonians had bright woolen tunics died in bright colors, sometimes they wore undergarments but only the very rich of the Caledonians wore those. We Romans had a helmet (Cassis) made of bronze lined with fur and it had cheek guards. The Caledonians wore simple helmets made of leather with metal; some poorer Caledonians had just leather helmets. I use a shield (scutum) made of strips of wood pressed together and then glued with boiled cattle skins. The shield is usually 4 foot long and protected my legs. (That’s why I don’t have shin guards.) The Caledonians used full body shields they were made of wood and then covered in leather, they probably took our weapons and used them in battle = (. Another thing we Romans had was boots made of cowhide and were open-toed sandals in a way with leather souls, the boots (caligea) we had over 130 nails and since we were marching everywhere, we had to pretty much repair them every night. The Caledonians wore leather warm boots since they lived in cold damp areas. We also had a sword ( gladius) that was 2 foot long double bladed edge with a bone handle for a better grip , the legions were taught to jab and stab instead of slashing and cutting. The Caledonians had a long sword used for cutting and slashing. Some things the Caledonians did not have and we did was a cloak and a kit bag. The (sagum) cloak was made of a wool, we kept the natural oils in it to make it as waterproof as possible and we used it to keep warm at times. The kit bag we had been sometimes weighed as much as 60 pounds and had all of my food for 3 days plus a pick axe and a bunch of other things used for building.

Our Forts and their villages are very different from each other first of all we had a bath house ( balnea) were we had a furnace under the bathhouse and that heated the floor which was made of stone and then that heated the pools to make them warm. There were different rooms for different temperatures the really hot rooms for the really hot baths and, then there were the mild room with mild temperatures and, then there was a frigid room where it was a cold bath. The Barracks ( centuriae) in the Roman forts were I lived were usually 50 meters long and 10 meters wide with 20 rooms too each block fitting 4 beds to a room. The commander’s house usually had its own Bath house and heating and his own garden. Headquarters (principia) in the Roman forts is where all the officers and the general and his legion commanders met for meetings. There were three main workshops the first one had the butchers and the huntsmen kept fresh meat for the whole legion the other workshop was where blacksmith and craftsmen work and create the legions weapons. The third workshop is for all the craftsmen and tile workers who repair the Forts roof s bathhouses and more. The Caledonians are very different from us they had round houses with steal peaked roofs was held up by a wooden frame. Their workshops had bellows and hammers to melt and forge iron ore for their weapons. The village they lived in usually was on a manmade island in the middle of a manmade moat, the way you would reach them is to go throw an underwater pathway called a stone causeway or they were reached by a log boat.

That is what it is like between the Romans lifestyle and the Caledonians lifestyle from the roman bathhouses to Caledonian village in the middle of a loch.

From your Roman friend,

Octavius

My love for you is keeps getting bigger and bigger until you turn into a supernova.

My love for you is bigger than the periodic table of elements.

My love for is like radiation it just keeps on going.

My love for you is like a spectrum of every color.

Dear DAD,

here is a summary about what we have been learning in class and here are some things I like about the module. My first two favorite things in this module are the bar graph and the line graph and the other one I like is the frequency tables.

My first favorite section in our module was the part about the bar graphs are made up of two things one is to know what the x and y axis and the information the information is very important if you don't have the information you don't have a graph and that's very important see what I mean important. That's how you do a bar graph

A line graph requires a table that has to do with over time because its much easier to see the line in action you get your info and then you have it in your table like a bar graph and then you make into a line graph and then you it looks like a graph a line graph.

The other thing I liked in class is called the frequency table its very easy and and it has to do with graphs to and it has to do with charts to . The point of a frequency graph is to make the graph or the i8nformation more interesting and easier.

This is what we learned in Math class

Fog is like a lair of darkness

It does not move

It hangs in treetops

Waiting for the wind to move it along.

The Perfect Storm

It was a like a perfect storm

You could hear the stillness in the air

As the storm came closer

The tempo in the air started to pick up

And then you heard the crack

That could shatter a piece of glass

And then the fog was gone.

On August, 28, 1963 Martin Luther King Made a speech Called I have a dream. The theme of this speech was to tell the world that “All men are created equal”and some of the quotes that he said: “On the red hills of Georgia”, “And sit down at the table of brotherhood” , and finally “ That all men are created equal”. Those quotes are what Martin Luther King Jr said in his speech and I thought those were the most important quotes out of the whole thing even though I only read a little bit of it. The dream of Martin Luther King Jr has come true.

Article posted January 8, 2010 at 02:16 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

I think that kids should have more recess in school. The reason I think that kids should get more recess is because kids go to school for about 8 hours some times longer, and the average time kids are outside during their recess or PE class out of the whole day is about 35 minutes at the junior high school. At the elementary it's about an hour and 20 minutes and that's because they have the morning recess which is about 15 minutes and then the snack time which is about 30 minutes then lunch is 45 and sometimes they have extra recess on Fridays for some special occasion. The high school has no recess but I can see why because they're learning how to be successful in life. After PE or recess they're more focused and have less energy and the teachers don't have to spend 15minutes just trying to get their attention and if it's raining or 10 below zero outside then play in the gym.

The other reason I think we should have more recess is, well two things one is scientists believe that more physical activity after 4 to 5 hours of sitting down improves the kids behavior so they're not all crazy in class and it keeps them happy and then they have something to look forward to other than the end of the day of school and maybe PE class . And the other reason is that it is a better learning environment because they are more focused in class when they have a long recess than when they have have a short recess with all that energy bottled up and then they're not listening to what the teacher says and then they get in trouble for whatever reason.

One way we could work out this time is to maybe add time to the school day since the buses come at 2:40 and classes end at 2:30 we could then maybe add that extra 10 minutes. The other way is to maybe take 2 to 3 minutes off each class that will add up to about 10 minutes or during focus class we could maybe work something out. But with all those teaching requirements by the state I don't know, what do you think about longer recess?

Joe Flood is a alcoholic and drug addict, he was very informative on what happens to you when drugs come into your life and how it affects you. Joe Flood is a very nice person he was telling us one of his stories about when he was in high school and he said he was a shy kind of of guy and one day before the dance he was out in the parking lot with his friends and they asked if he wanted a drink and he said yeah sure and by the end of his senior year he was having a 6 pack and that's when it all started. Joe Flood was very inspiring from all the rehabilitation and his addiction and I thought he was really cool!