bsli

In 1492 a man named Christopher Columbus sailed from Europe to America. He made history, for better or worse. Should we or shouldn't we celebrate Columbus Day? There is a huge controversy in the United States debating this. Christopher Columbus is our ancestor. Celebrating Columbus is celebrating our own victory. Not celebrating Columbus Day is like not celebrating our heritage. Yes, Columbus had a few faults, but he was a product of his time so we can not blame him. I think that we should celebrate Columbus Day.

Columbus did many great things. Even though Columbus was wrong about finding “Asia” he did find our home today, America. We should celebrate the historical find of our land. Columbus also brought new and advanced technology to the Americas. Most of this technology was good for the Native Americans. Columbus began the European Settlement and brought Christianity to the Americas. Some people think that bringing Christianity was a bad idea. They are also the people who look at Columbus bringing new technology to the Americas as a bad idea. Columbus brought government. He also brought back important stapled crops; crops that provide our basic nutrition. Many people blame Columbus for bringing diseases to the Native Americans. How was a man from Europe in 1492 supposed to know that Native Americans did not have the same immunities as himself? Once again I'll point our that Columbus was a product of his time. He did not have the same knowledge as we do today.

Columbus changed our world for the better. Not celebrating Columbus day is like not celebrating the 4th of July. It is just another political holiday. In my opinion Columbus Day should be celebrated . It's a celebration of our ancestors and the discovery of our home. If it weren't for Columbus you would probably be living in Europe. It's one day due to a man that changed the world.

The Mysterious Benedict Society Trenton Lee Stewart Action/Adventure

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey Trenton Lee Stewart Action/Adventure

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoners Dilemma Trenton Lee Stewart Action/Adventure

The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins Action/Adventure/Romance

Catching Fire Suzanne Collins Action/Adventure/Romance

The City of Ember Jeanne DuPrau Action/Adventure/Mystery

The People of Sparks Jeanne DuPrau Action/Adventure

Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief Rick Riordan Action/Adventure/Fantasy

Gone Michael Grant Action/Adventure/Mystery/Romance

When most people hear the word bridge the first thing that comes to mind is a structure that connects one part of land to another. This is true. A bridge also connects one point in life to another. Going from a child to a teen, or a teen to an adult is a bridge. These bridges are broken after you cross, though. Many people have Gephyrophobia; the fear of bridges. Most people believe this comes from Claustrophobia; the fear of being in small places, or Acrophobia; the fear of heights. This is also true. I believe that the fear of physical bridges ties in with the fear of metaphorical bridges. Most people either cross bridges eager and willing or totally reluctant. You are either eager to get on with that point in your life or reluctant. You are most likely aware that the bridge is going to brake, for better or worse. This leads back to your fear of physical bridges. You know what's coming, but you don't know what comes with it.

Our school had a group of people come and show us a video about trash and how it is effecting our Earth. We dug through our trash from lunch and found a huge mess. Some kids volunteered to help sort out the trash. We had different bins that consisted of trash, recycling and compost.

We also saw a power point that was shocking. Did you know that there is a part in an ocean where all you can see is trash? It's so sad. Also, because of the trash in the ocean many animals are deformed. It is very upsetting. It really made people take a second look at trash, though.

Three years ago on Mother's Day there was a huge flood. My Dad found that my basement was taking in a lot of water. We were pretty bad but other people got a lot worse. Some of my friends had over a foot of water. After the flood ended we had to throw out our rug and many CD's. We had about half a foot of water. Other items got ruined but it wasn't that bad. My family was fine after and we got a sump pump put in. Our sump pump runs through a hole in the wall of our basement. Every so often when there is a lot of rain we will here it running. Recently we took in some water, but the sump pump took care of it. I think that (besides being a pain) the Mother's Day flood was a good warning to get my family prepared for future floods.

My artifacts are-

-Stuffed animal mouse to represent Matthias.

-Tin foil shield to represent Martin/Matthias's shield.

-Tin foil sword to represent Matthias/Martin's sword.

-Picture of Matthias in the underground part of the cage of Asmodeus.

-Picture of the roof of the Sparra's.

In my math class we are learning about stocks. Our teacher gave us a metephorical $10,000. We got to pick 3-4 stocks to invest in. I picked Apple, Novartis, Amazon, and IMAX. We later learned the formulas to put our stocks into a spreadsheet. We have been updating our spreadsheets for many months now. I really enjoy this project and hope to continue.

My speech was about the time my basketball team lost a game, 61 - 2.

Olympic Curling

Curling is an old sport that was at the first Olympics in 1924. It is now still played at the Olympics in modern day. It has a team for men and women . The object of the game is to get the stones as close to the center of the rings as possible. It works with one person pushing a stone along the ice, and two people sweeping in front of it to change its direction. In the end the winner is the team with the most stones in the rings.

There is a lot of training involved. One to two times a week there is a whole team practice and every other weekend there is a competition. Also, the athletes practice individually and occasionally with coaches five to six times a week. They do this at their homes where they have personal rinks. I have watched and followed the U.S, German and Canadian Curling teams.

A common term is Blank End which means an end where there were no points scored. Another term is Freeze which is a form of a draw that stops and rests while touching another stone. Also, Curl is the curve that is made when the rock travels down the ice. Another terms is Broom, which is the device used to sweep the area in front of the stone. Also, Peel which is when you send a shot to remove a guard or slide out of play. Wide is when a stone is delivered outside the intended line. Whoa is the command that the sweepers are given to stop sweeping. The stone is the granite object that the players deliver.

The sport of curling is more that five hundred years old. The earliest written record of curling was found at Scotland's Paisley Abbey. It dates back to 1541. The first Olympic Curling was played by men. Canada won gold and Norway won silver for men's curling this year. In women's Curling Canada has the gold and Sweden has the silver. In third place for men's was Sweden and in third place for women's was China. For both men and women's Curling the United States came in last place. I think that Curling is a good and safe sport for everyone. I hope that it is continued throughout the years in the Olympic Winter Games.

Romans in Scotland

My name is Martius and I am a Roman soldier. I am twenty-five years old and I am in a legion. My family has been serving in the Roman Army for many years, and many stories have been passed down. I think that the battle with the Celts was one of the hardest, though.

I knew that it would be a hard battle when we first got to the battle field and I saw their swords, obviously made for slashing and cutting. Then, I remembered our secret weapon, our Pilum. With our Pilum, or spear, we would be able to throw them and not get them returned. Also, I think that we had a very big advantage in armor. They had practically none! Our Lorica (body armor) was a big advance and savior to our army. The most important piece was the breast plate.  It has saved many men. It was just a simple jacket of overlapping metal, but much more than the Celts. The Celts did have boots like us, though. Our Caligae (boots) didn't win us any adavantage over them. Our Scutum (shield) was well built, but the Celts stole our design. Theirs is long, wooden and covered in leather. It protected the whole body. It was a shame when I took my Gladius (sword) and aimed for a Celts rib and he deflected it with his shield. He also managed to take a swipe at my hand. Luckilly, it was only a flesh wound and it was my left hand. That did give me a bit of a disadvantage of handling my Scutum, though.

By the end of the war I was in pretty good condition, despite the wound on my hand and a gash above my eye. After our victory I was able to return home to my wife and children and heal over time. Now, I await new orders from our leaders and hopefully a new begining.