ARLO

Roman Essay
ARLO
Red 7W
2/16/10
SS Romans in Scotland

My name is Logianumphricus Adamiaus. I am a roman foot soldier. My general is Julius Caesar. His army conquered almost all of what is now France. I fight in the auxilia, which fights in front of the infantry. At this point we’re at war with the Celts. They are very much like us.

The Celts and Romans are very unique. We both have spears, but ours can only be used once, yet the Celts spears are made to make a deep wound in their enemy and are used more than once. The Romans had a kit bag that had tools, food rations, a mess tin, and a kettle. The Celts didn’t have kit bags. We also use shield and helmet. Our Helmets cover our ears and were made of bronze. The Celts helmets are made of leather and don’t cover their ears. Their shields are made to cover their whole body, as are ours. Our shields are made of long strips of wood pressed together with glue from boiled cattle skins, while the Celts’ shields are just a piece of wood covered in leather. Our swords are about two feet long and used for stabbing. On the other hand the Celts had long swords used for slashing and cutting. Unlike us the Celts painted their faces for battle. I don’t think the Celts were very smart because they didn’t wear armor. Our villages consisted of Barracks, Workshops, a bath house, Head Quarters, and the Captains Quarters surrounded by walls and trenches. The Celts’ consisted of houses and workshops surrounded by a wall. As you can see our villages are very different. I live temporarily in the barracks; they are long buildings that have about twenty rooms. Head Quarters is where Legion Officers met to discuss strategies and other things. It was also where soldiers twice a year swore an oath to the emperor. The Bath House is where everyone bathed, did their “Business,” and where they got massages. The Commander’s Quarters are where the commander and his family lived. It had its own baths and kitchen. The workshops were where weapons and tools were made. The Celts’ workshops were where tools and weapons were made. The houses were where everyone lived. We Romans and the Celts are very different yet similar at the same time.

As you can see us Romans are much more civilized then the Celts and it shows. We defeated them because of this. We have really gained a lot of territory in this battle. I have learned a lot in this experience. Long Live Rome!

Article posted February 16, 2010 at 01:17 PM • comment • Reads 37 • see all articles