CHLA-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

In 1492 Christopher Columbus set sail to find a way to get to Asia by going west. Instead he discovered two new continents and changed the world forever. We celebrate Columbus day because he is the one who discovered the Americas and that is why we can trace our ancestry back to Europe. There is a huge controversy about continuing to celebrate Columbus Day. I believe the cons outweigh the pros. I believe that we should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day.

My big points are that Columbus brought disease and genocide. He also kidnapped, killed and raped the indigenous people. They killed the indigenous people who were fighting to protect their country and land and yet we celebrate Veteran's Day to honor the people who have fought to protect our country. Just like us, they had a right to protect their land. My second point is that they also forced Christianity on the indigenous people. Christianity is not a bad thing, but he forced people to become Christian and destroyed their religion. He then plundered the resources of the New World. My most important point is also the most controversial detail. He was wrong about everything. He lied about finding gold, silver and treasure. Also, he didn't even find a way to Asia. He found the Americas and thought he had found Asia. His mission was a failure. He never found what he was looking for so why would we celebrate him?

Today this issue is a huge controversy. There are two very different views of the controversy. People have strong opinions on this controversy. I believe that we should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day. He came to this land that wasn't his and acted like he owned the land and tried to take over the indigenous people. He destroyed their culture, religion, way of life and much more. We should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day. What side are you on?

title="Wordle: CHLA">Wordle: CHLA

My Favorite Books

1.The Blue Bloods Novels by Melissa De La Cruz~fantasy

2.Thirst Novel 1 and 2 by Christopher Pike~fantasy

3.The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale~fantasy

4.The Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong~fantasy

5.The Billi SanGreal series by Sarwat Chadda~fantasy/action

Bridges

a connection between civilizations

they make us one

yet there are many holes

not just physically but mentally

there are holes in our mind

we don't think we

we think us and them

we are one

we live in harmony

a connection between civilizations

Bridges

We built

then we break

we act as one

then we act as two

we are connected

then we are not connected

we are the same as everyone else

then we are different than everyone else

once you make a connection

you keep that connection

you feel that connection

then you live that connection

once you break a connection

you have to rebuild that connection

We build

then we break

This is my Stocks in Math Class.

This is a spreadsheet our math class did. We were following the stock market. We each choose three or four companies to follow and we made a spreadsheet to calculate how much money we had made or lost. Someone of us made a lot of money and some of us lost a lot of money.

I picked these three companies for our math stock project because I thought they would make money. I was wrong. I picked Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK) because I heard that pharmaceuticals were doing well and making money. They ended up going up for a while then they started to drop. I ended up losing money. I picked Excel Maritime Carriers (EXM) because I thought that during the holiday season people would be shipping a lot of presents and companies would be shipping their products to people. They also had a steady increase before I bought it so I thought they were already doing well. I picked Phillips Morris (PM) at random. I really picked it at random but ended up keeping it because I heard that tobacco companies were doing well. I also saw that their stocks had been going p recently. I chose these three companies because they looked like they were going to make a lot of money. Don't be fooled people. Do your research.

If I could change my portfolio I would have done more research. I wouldn't have changed my stocks in GSK even though I lost money. They were doing well until the stock market started to look bearish. I would have changed my stocks in EXM and PM though. I would have done my research and not just taken people's work. I would have listened to what people were saying but I would have checked to see if they were right. It ended up being that my stocks in EXM were risky and not a very good deal. In PM I would have just done more research and learned how tobacco companies were really doing. These are the changes I would have made to my portfolio.

Stocks are a risky business, so know what you are doing. Do a lot of research on your company and other companies like them. If there is a bearish market, then you should be careful with the companies you chose. It there is a bullish market chose the ones that have recently gone up. I should have looked into other companies like EXM because another shipping company's stocks went way up when mine went way down. Don't just take people's work on something, double check. Also it is very risky so look at their chart. If in the past year they have been going way up, then don't assume they will keep going up. They could easily just drop. Another good tip is to not put all your money into one stock. If your stock goes down then you lose a lot of money. I know that because invested almost all my stocks in GSK and lost a lot. Before you buy your stocks just think it through and do your research.

Our grade went through all our trash that we had for the last two days. It was only the trash from the cafeteria though. There ended up being more compost and recyclables in the trash than there was real trash. We learned that a lot of the things we throw away are thrown into a landfill and don't decompose, and could be recycled or composted. If everyone does these simple things like recycling and composting we could reduce our trash drastically.      

Our grade had a film festival on our trash and where it goes. I found that planned obsolescence was pretty interesting. Planned obsolescence is when a company designs a product to not last long. For example computer companies put a chip in the computer and every year they have a new updated one. The thing is every year the new updated one won't fit in the old computer, they plan this. They want you to buy a new computer and get rid of your old computer. Companies don't think about where or what happens to their products once they are sold. Only 1% of the products we buy are in use six months after they are purchased. The companies don't realize that a lot of their products aren't in use after they come out with a new product. All the companies want it to make you feel that you need to buy the new best thing. They make it seem like if you don't have this or that you're not cool. This is called the cool factor. I thought this was interesting because I bet that not many people realize what some companies do to get you to buy their products.

This is my artifact scan. Our class each read a book that takes place in medievel times. I read a book called Crispin. We then chose 5-10 artifacts that are important to the story. In mine the flag represents the setting, which is England. The skull represents the black death, which is how he thought his father died but soon learns is not true. This plays a huge part in the story. The tin foil sword represent the action in this story. There are a lot of sword fights and battles. The shamrock coin represents Crispin's luck. He manages to get out of situations that seem impossible to. The cross represents his secret and the religion. His secret was written on his cross the whole time but he didn't know it because he couldn't read. The ball represents Bear and his living. Bear is a charactor that helps Crispin along the way. He was a juggler and that is how he made his money.  The wolf represents how Crispin was declared a wol'f head, which means he was concidered not human and anyone could kill him or take him at any time and get a reward for it. These are the main ideas of the story and these artifacts help show that.