MHSO-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Should we keep celebrating Columbus Day? I think yes we should. Every Second Monday in October, we celebrate that we have a country that has been discovered and we are to be thankful for what we have. Some people say no its a bad idea to celebrate Columbus day. But I think yes we should.

One reason why I think we should celebrate Columbus day is that if Christopher Columbus didn't sail onto the Bahamas, we wouldn't even be living here. If he didn't, we wouldn't even know about the new world which we live on. Another reason, is that people say when he came he ruined the land by cutting down all the trees. But really, he didn't ruin it. Look at what is going on in the world now. Global warming and a oil spill. Yeah and he ruined our world. No he didn't we are ruining it more than he is. One more reason is that we have been celebrating this holiday since 1866. Why would we stop celebrating it after so many years of celebrating it. Also why would we stop celebrating it just cause the people who say we shouldn't doesn't mean we have to stop it. For those people you don't have to celebrate it but we want to.

Christopher Columbus has so many impacts on our world today. Some of us dont agree that he changed the world forever. Imagine if he didn't come. What would we do? Where would we be? Those are just some questions I want to know about Christopher Columbus. From honoring our world that we live in to honoring this day since 1866. I think we should celebrate this holiday. We are not going to stop just because others say we shouldnt.

Volleyball

Volleyball is a game with a ______ (noun). _________(interjection). A person either passes the ball, hits or sets the ball. Anything else is a ________(noun). There are many volleyball clubs around _________(place).

Volleyball is a game of hand-eye-coordination. To pass the ball, you must make one hand a ________(animal) mouth. Then lay another _________(noun) on top. You now ______(verb) your hands toward the ground. You want to bend you knees so that your arms are parallel to your ___________(body part). When the ball is lower than your shoulders, you let the ball come and hit of your arms. It might hurt at first. __________ (Conjunction) your ________(adjective) arms will get used to it. The next thing is hitting. When you go to hit, first you need to do your _________(verb). First is your left foot, then right, then left then jump. Next. Have you non-hitting hand pointing at where its gong and _______(verb) at the balls highest point and hit it straight down and ________(adverb).Next, is the set. The set is _______(adverb) __________(adj). You make a ___________(shape) in the _______(noun) ______________(prepositions) your head. When the ball comes above your shoulders, __________(pronoun) bend your __________(adj) knees _________(conjunction) let the ball come into your hand and push it straight up.

A volleyball game can get confusing. The main point is when the ball hits the ground tho team who didn't touch it last gets the point. Those are just some of the rules. (__________ (interjection) that's confusing!) I hope you learned something _________(adj) and enjoyed something my story about the sport called Volleyball.

Summer Reading List!

The Christopher Killer Series Horror

Alane Ferguson

Project 17 Horror Laurie Faria Stolarz

One of those hideous books where the mother dies Fiction

Sonya Sones

What my boyfriend doesn't know Fiction Sonya Sones

What my girlfriend doesn't know Fiction Sonya Sones

Down The Rabbit Hole Series Mystery Peter Abrahams

Bridge to Nowhere

A bridge to nowhere

is dark but light

quiet but loud

all at the same time

you never will know what its like

till you walk on the bridge to nowhere

Bridges

Jumping off a bridge

is like jumping off a cliff

high

scary

Suicidal

But

fun

rush

fast

Jumping feels and looks fun

But remember think before you jump

For the math project I chose Dover Saddlery, Delta Airlines, and Churchill Downs because I have either used the products or like there products. The reason why I chose Dover Saddlery is because I buy a lot of there products and think they have good quality stuff. Dover Saddlery is a store where you can but equestrian products for you and the horse. I also chose Delta airlines because again I have used that airlines before and I enjoyed it. Delta Airlines is a air transportation system. Lastly, I choose Churchill downs because I like watching horse racing at that race track. Churchill Downs is a thoroughbred racing track in Louisville Kentucky.

There are many things I would change from the stocks I choose to the money I put into it. I would change my stocks because the stocks that I chose in November 2009, didn't make a lot of money over the past year. I also would of put more money into Delta Airlines because Dover Saddlery and Churchill Downs didn't make a lot of money but Delta Airlines made more money than the other two.

If I were to give advice to someone who was buying stock there is a lot I could tell them. One thing I would tell them is buy when doing well. Buy when the stocks are going up not down. I would also tell them don't buy low. Don't buy the stocks when they have been staying that same, low price for many weeks and or days.

Earth day is a very important day to celebrate and give back to the earth. Plant a tree or try composting. So many trees are cut down everyday. If everyone planted a tree that would be so many trees. Think about it, how many people are on this earth who can make a difference. If you compost, not so much trash will go into our landfill. Landfills are bad because it is just piling up under the ground which they just put dirt over it. If you compost, all the banana peels and apple cores you throw away every day could become nice,fresh soil to grow more fruits and vegetables.

In the past few weeks we have been watching videos about the earth. One video was about how commercials just make kids want it and when they get it it is really bad. So when the newer one comes out they will want that. All they are getting you to do is waste your money on something that will just go the landfill. I think there. For example the Ipod. The Ipod started as just a little thing that just played music. Now, they have internet and music and email. The Ipad I think is a waste of money cause they will just come out with something even better than it. It also talked about how there are people called freegans, who eat food from the garbage. Don't think I am saying like trash old food. Like the trash from stores whose food is out of date by one day and is still good. Now think about it. How much trash do you and your family waste everyday?

The Higgins armory museum is a very good museum if you love to learn about armor. The Higgins has armor from the 1500's to the roman years. ?The building was built for Mr. Higgins to put all of his collection or armory in. In the museum, you learn about the history of armor from ancient Rome to Greece. There all all different types of armor. Like, tournament, Combat and Decorative.

The tournament is a type of armor that is used for display and to show how much money you had. The kings would were this kind of armor when they went to parities just to show that they had more money so they could afforded this expensive piece of armor. In this type or armor you don't have very good flexibility and it weighs about 80 to 100 pounds. The tournament armor also didn't have very good visibility but did have very good defensive. If the armor was used during battle, it has good, thick metal and also very heavy metal.

Another type of armor is combat. Combat armor is used for when they fought in the wars. The combat had good defence, flexibility and flexibility. The combat armor weighs from 45-80 pounds. It has about 200 pieces of metal put together. The helmet had adequate visibility and ventilation also. Along with the body armor, they had a combat lance. The lance was 10-14 feet long.

The last type of armor is the decorative. The decorative had very good visibility and flexibility but not good defence. This type of armor weighed about 20-70 pounds. The decorative type of armor was only worn at parades, court events and ceremonies. Instead of having a lot of body protection it had more artistic design. The cost of this suit was about one fourth of a knights salary.

Other than the three types of armor that are at the museum, they have a lot more information there. You can learn so much from just one visit. You also can learn about why some of the armor from the 1500's had points on there shoes and more about the different types of armor. The Higgins Armory Museum is worth a stop to learn so much on armor from the past.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

3 -- Outstanding 2 -- Ok, but could use some improvement 1-- Needed improvement 0 --- Missing

Introduction

1 Gave the reader background and general information about the museum --- set the scene.

2 Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

2 Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

2 Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

2 Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

3 Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3 Essay format followed the directions for assignment

3 Spelling

3 Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments: The overall format to the essay is good. You have good supporting details in the body (sentence 1 in the first paragraph is not correct information), but lack researched vocabulary called for in the directions. The introduction needed more background infromation about the museum to set the scene for the body. Your conclusion brings closure, but doesn't sum up the museum and the things that can be learned from a visit.

The horse's name is Annie who is Morgan's horse

The hearts are for the love between Morgan and Thomas

The picture of the princess is the mother of Morgan

The sword is there because it shows the fights that are in the story

SCANNER Questions answered

the scanner was easy for me to do

Next time, I would of read the directions more carefully

We can use it for scanning pictures from a book to trace