CRTR

In 1492 Columbus set sail expecting to go around the world but accidentally ended up discovering North America. Ever since the early 20th century we have been honoring that day. Having Columbus Day has been a very controversial topic for many years. Some recognize it, some don't pay attention to it and some just think of it as a day off from school. I believe that Columbus Day should not be celebrated.

My first reason why we should not celebrate this national holiday is because he didn't really set foot on North America, the closest Columbus got to the place was Cuba! Besides he wasn't the first to discover North America so when you think about it we are celebrating a guy (one of the many) who discovered North America. I'm not saying we should call it cultures day, I'm just saying we should think more deeply into the discovery of North America.

My next reason has to do with what Columbus did to the people and the animals of North America. His discovery started the mass spreading of extinction, decease and genocide to animals an people. Hundreds of thousands of Native Americans were killed and enslaved, not to mention how he forced Christianity on them. Some arguers might think that forcing Christianity on these people was a good thing. If you think about it he came to this place which already had developed cultures until he ruined them by enforcing his beliefs.

Definitely, if I were to research everything about Columbus the cons would definitely out weigh the cons. Everything that Columbus did was wrong. He meant to sail around the world but failed and went off course and he came to North America and took, killed and enslaved anything he saw. So I'll leave you to ponder this thought, should we really celebrate a man who killed, enslaved and decimated people already living in north America.

Wordle: CRTR 7th Grade Wordle

When you are a writer

You have to dig into your mind

Because the ideas that are hiding

Are the best you’ll ever find.

Writing can be about anything

People, space or time,

The poem I am writing

Is one that likes to rhyme.

Have you ever thought somebody

Has a secret, or something that they

Found. If you ask about that secret

They might maul you to the ground…

Sometimes a secret is so absurd,

That if you ask them about that secret

They won’t speak a word.

So then one day I went out for a walk,

I walked up to somebody and began to talk,

What is your secret, what did you find?”

And when that person answered

They said, “I’m keeping it in my mind.”

And I said, “why?!” “And that person said Good Bye!”

I’m not going to rhyme or waste time

So Aufwiedersen you big swine.”

Everyone has a secret,

Even the aliens off earth,

People that are tall people that are small

And ones with prodigious girth.

When you make a movie

There’s one thing that’s a fact

If you want to make one

You have to learn to act.

But behind all the actors

And prefectures

There’s one person

Who makes the movie

As sweet as nectar, the director.

He tells people what to do

And what their supposed to know

And when that movie is

Finished

It is as perfect

as a flake of snow.

Hello good sir come into my house and I'll tell you about a bridge

Their big, their tall, some have walls

And some places don't have them at all

They can be made of chrome

Steel, copper or nickle

People can walk on them, talk on them

And even ride their bicycle on them

Oh and there are different types of bridges

Not the ones for riding

There are ones used to play the guitar

Ha! You thought I was lying!

There are bridges named after me

Yes, plenty of those

Oh and look come close good sir theirs one right on your nose

So I wont ramble on

I'll just give you a little smidge

I hope you had a great time listening about a bridge.

This is from students in Iceland.
title="Wordle: CRTR Iceland Worlde">
src="http://www.wordle.net/thumb/wrdl/2140023/CRTR_Iceland_Worlde"

alt="Wordle: CRTR Iceland Worlde"

style="padding:4px;border:1px solid #ddd">

title="Wordle: CRTR Worlde">
src="http://www.wordle.net/thumb/wrdl/2139980/CRTR_Worlde"

alt="Wordle: CRTR Worlde"

It was a peaceful day at the Rye Junior High, well at least the quiet part. It was a boring, dark, rainy, gloomy day. A perfect day for an interruption!

My first block was science. We were learning about matter and atoms. One of our class assignments was to color in a black and white atom. I was half way into the coloring when the alarms went off!

Now we all thought this was a regular fire drill, we were wrong. Even though it was pouring rain, we still followed the same evacuation process, going outside. Thank goodness my locker was close to the science room because I was able to snag my coat on the way out the door. After everyone was outside, teachers began to take attendance as fast as they could. Turns out that attendance did not go so quickly and we all started to get drenched so everyone decided to take care of our problems in the gym.

Half joking, the 6th, 7th and 8th grade opened up their emergency bucket's and took out large blankets. After 10-15 minutes of being wet, confused and slightly cold, things finally came to a conclusion. Mr. Pollet walked to the middle of the gym and spoke. He told us that this alarm wasn't planned and that the alarms went off because there was a slight water leak. This was due to a excessive rain fall over the course of a couple of days.  He also explained that the fire department was having difficulty turning the alarm lights off, not the alarm sound.

Taking no more time, Mr. Pollet told everyone to go back to their classes and bear with the flickering lights. After a couple of minutes the lights turned off and everything was back to normal.  

The more we watch science fiction movies that have to do with a abandoning a earth because of pollution it is becoming more of a reality. Our Earth has every single problem from the movie Wall-E if you think about it.

The first subject is about Wal Mart. Wal Mart is our modern day BNL or “Buy and Large”. They try to be the biggest and the best super store in the world, nothing else! Trying to be the biggest doesn't always mean being the best. The quality of a super store's items can sometimes be lower because it needs to mass produce everything. That's why we need small businesses to supply us with good quality food and items even if it costs a little bit more. That's another thing about Wal Mart, they make the price of their items so low that middle class and lower class people can't help but buy at their store!

Another similarity is the horrible global pollution. In Wall-E their were skyscrapers made of trash. We are going to have that problem pretty soon if we don't stop polluting! We are already starting to make the skyscrapers base by making these areas called landfills. If we keep burying holes in ground we won't have anymore room and have to start stacking it (which is already happening). Even are oceans are starting to look similar to the movie. Not only are we putting whole objects in the ocean but toxic liquids like oil and nuclear waste. Soon we wont be able to swim in the ocean because it will be so toxic that it won't be safe. Anybody like seafood...? WELL WE WONT HAVE IT...unless we stop polluting our oceans.

This article might not make sense and doesn't have a lot of detail to it but it's short sweet and to the point and explains what needs to be done. I'm sure my article is going to be just another one of the millions out there that are trying to stop what is happening in this corrupt world. But listen to this world, if we keep sitting on our butts and thinking,waiting and getting on with our own lives even if it means polluting and killing the Earth so that WE can make a living for our selfish selves none of us will live.

At the Higgins Armory in Worcester Massachusetts, visitors can see a wide array of armor. If  a person wants to learn about every type of armor in a short amount of time, they can focus on the three major types that were used in the Middle Ages. These three types of armor are combat, tournament and decorative armor. Each one serves a different purpose.

The first type of armor is combat. Combat armor was used in wars and battlefields. It consists of over 200 pieces of armor with lots of moving joints so that the person inside can move with partial mobility. It weighs about 45 to 80 pounds which makes it the second to lightest armor next to the decorative armor. Ventilation was very important because when you were walking in a hot climate or fighting for a long period of time, you needed to be cool.  Combat armor was immune to many weapons like spears and swords. Certain spears, called lances, were big and sharp enough to puncture combat armor. Other types of weapons that could kill a knight were crossbows and muskets.

The next major type of armor was tournament armor. This armor was used for jousting and fighting games. The flexibility in this suit was very poor because the armor had to be rigid when being hit with a lance. Tournament armor was the heaviest type of armor out of all the three weighing in at 80 to 100 pounds. Despite the bad flexibility, it was the thickest  most defensive type out of the three. The chest plating and shoulder armor was extra thick to deflect the blows of a lance. The visibility of the visor was very poor because in order to protect the face from splinters and strikes from lances, it needed to be free of big gaps and holes.

The last type of armor was decorative. Decorative armor acts as a status symbol for people. It was for showing off and showing people how rich you were. This armor was very expensive and wealthy people would get them custom made. Etching, embossing, engraving, blueing and gilding were some of the methods used on this armor to decorate it. Weighing in at 20 to 70 pounds, it was the lightest type of armor out of the three. It did not have to be made out of strong and heavy materials. It provided almost no physical protection and was more focused on decorative designs. Despite this armor's poor protective features, it's visibility and flexibility were excellent.

As you go through each type of armor, it's use is different from the other. Ever since medieval times, armor has evolved from armor plated knights and horses to what we use for protection today. Today, we use armor made out off light weight materials and strong fabrics that can stop bullets. We also use armor for different purposes. We are putting armor on tanks and vehicles to protect people and valuable items. Even the strength of armor has changed. This is happening because as we invent stronger weapons, people have to find stronger materials to stop them. As long as people can think of new ways to make weapons stronger, armor will continually evolve to keep things safe.

My story was about a man called Stan Winston. He directed movies, made props and sculpted action figures. I loved what he did so much that I wanted to write a letter to him and see if I could meet him. After I waited for a while, I found out the month after I mailed the letter, Stan Winston had passed away.

Olympic Sport Info With Mr. T

Hello! My name is Mr. ? and I am going to give you the “curl” on curling. What is curling? I always thought it was a hard sport to figure out but it is pretty simple.

Back in the 1500's, curling was only played by the Scottish. They would get a stone and put it on a frozen pond or loch. They would then push that stone to a target and see how close they could get to it. Whichever team gets their stone the closest to the target wins.

Today, curling is played the same way accept with smoother and better stones. Curling is also played on a special indoor ice rink that has a target built in under the ice. Surprisingly the curling rinks aren't perfectly smooth like a hockey rink. Before each curling game, the rink is sprayed down with a hose. The water droplets from the hose make the rink slightly bumpy to make the curling stones faster. Now usually we use a smooth surface when we are dealing with icy sports so objects can move faster like a ice skater or a hockey puck. For curling, smooth is bad. When you have the smooth bottom of a curling stone against the smooth surface of ice, it creates suction which slows it down. Now if you have a bumpy surface, the curling stone will be able to glide on the bumpy ridges that cause less friction and suction between the ice. Now just the slightest bump or push of the athletes hand will make the curling stone go far.

Another big topic that is important to the sport of curling is the equipment needed in order to play. One special material needed is Teflon. Teflon is a type of fabric that is slippery when on ice. Curlers use this material under one shoe (because the other shoe has to be grippe) and and under their broom so that both objects can glide across the ice. The curling broom is also needed to help the curling stone to its target and help steer it. The athlete needs a pair of shoes as well because they need to be able to glide with one foot and grip to the ice with the other one. Athletes also need the shoes so when they get close to a stone when they are curling, they can maneuver themselves around it. Finally, the most important piece of equipment needed to play is the curling stone. The curling stone is a round stone and smooth object that will be pushed by the athlete and sent to the target. All of this equipment is needed in order to play in the Olympic Games.

The last very important, news related and interesting subject is about the curling stone itself. The curling stone is made out of a very special kind of granite called “ailsite” that the Canadians demand to have when the sport is played. It works very well on ice because it does not absorb liquid from the ice and can stand many hits by other stones. This special rock only is found on the Asia Craig, an island off the Ayrshire coast in Scotland. Now even though this stone is great for curling and and is durable, it is running out. Now I don't mean it's going to run out in a couple of days, it will run out very slowly. It will not run out in a year either, it will take two or three Olympic games to possibly completely deteriorate. So as long as the demand for curling stones doesn't get to big, this precious material will stay in Asia Craig.

In conclusion, curling is a sport that requires skill, concentration and different kinds of equipment. It has been around for many years and has evolved because of new technology breakthroughs like using a special rock to make a curling stone or using Teflon shoes so that an athlete can grip and slide on the ice. In terms of who won for this sport in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, the Canadian mens team won the gold as well for the womens Sweedish team. When it comes to the winter Olympics, curling is not one of the well known sports and appears odd to certain viewers. In my opinion, curling is one of the best sports out there.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 01:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 71

Greetings, my name is Trumanicus Cavalaricus and I am a Roman soldier. I will tell you about my life as a soldier and speak to you about how my people differ from the Celtic citizens.

I used to be in the poor Roman class until I joined the army. The pay is good, I get fed and I get to be a solder for 25 years if I last that long. The only downside was that I can't marry because I live in the barracks with other solders.  A lot of times I got to go and make deals and trade with the Celts. I noticed that they all lived together with their relatives and family.

One difference that I noticed was how they built their villages. They were much more simple than ours when it came to housing and protection. For example, the Celtic people made their houses out of mud and hay surrounded by a ditch to protect themselves from enemies. They used the materials that they had on the plains. My people made our houses out of stone and cut wood because we had the resources to make them that way. Our rectangular vallumes, or walls, were also made out of high piled stone and had a built-in look out tower attached to them. Although our forts were harder to build, they were stronger and their layouts were more organized.

Another difference between our civilizations was how we dressed for war. The armor that we Romans wore was more armored and protective. We would each be equipped with a pilum, which is a long spear, a shield and a supplies bag. Our supply bag consisted of tools, food and other belongings. We also had chest, stomach and helmet armor. As for the Celtic people, they only had a spear, shield and layers of cloth for protection. Another advantage that we have is how we live in our forts. Instead of having solders sleeping together with regular families like the Celts, we have built a series of houses called barracks which were specially made for solders. If you look at how we both prepare for the army, not all of the advantages go to us. Lugging around all our heavy armor and suplies can really take a toll and weaken us when we are finally ready to fight. The Celtic people travel much lighter which saves them a lot of energy.

The last thought that I thought that I had was a big comparison between each of our civilizations infrastructure. Clearly, my Roman people were more advanced when it came to plumbing and transportation. When we Romans wash ourselves, we use man made baths that are heated. This heated system works by a furnace which burns wood. This heat creates steam which heats the bath. Another one of our advancements was our road systems and transportation. All of our Roman forts were connected by a series of roads. We got around on these roads by riding chariots or a wagon like vehicle that is pulled by two horses. The Celtic people did not have lots of these things. They did not build baths but instead washed themselves with a bucket of water or find a water source to bathe in. They did not have roads connected to their villages either because their layout plans were not as organized or they did not need them because they didn't have any wheeled vehicles.

This is my 15th year as a Roman solder, and over those 15 years I have watched and learned how the Celtic people live and work together as a civilization. As I've been talking to you about our differences compared to the Celts, you can clearly see that we are more organized and technologically advanced. Just because we have these advances doesn't always mean we are the best. The Celtic people, including solders, do lots of work themselves without the help of slaves. This could make them more fit and able to stand up better in a war with us. Each of our civilizations have our advantages and disadvantages, but if you look at the quality of the Roman people, they come out on top of the Celtic people.

When I look through my telescope And gaze up at you My heart releases a beautiful spectrum Red, Yellow and Blue. You get rid of my bad clouds like cumulonimbus And when I am together with you you I feel like a waxing gibbous.

When I was introduced to the Rye research project, I had no idea what I was going to have to do. I soon found out that I had to make a poster or something that described what has changed in Rye ever since the 1600s. I decided to make a poster with 5 rotating circles which represented each century. Each weel was seperated into quarters so that I could put 4 pictures in each circle. I wanted to show how 4 things have changed in Rye so I picked transportation, food, jobs and recorces.

I always loved stitched together pictures from magazines so I decided to do one myself. I wanted a body part from a person that expesses personality so I chose a mouth. Not one mouth, but 47 mouths!!  This was a painstaking project because I had to cut and past every mouth onto the canvas and paint around every mouth! So when you get the time go to the foyer and take a look at the real thing. Tell me how it came out and see if "it speaks for itself."

Drive yourself Into the Future

For years man has used bikes and gas powered scooters for small and portable transportation. Then came the 21st century! Technology exploded and different types of transportation devices that were small and easy to ride came about. Then, Dean Kamen emerged from the futuristic primordial soup. A man with an idea that was so different and awesome that everyone wanted one. This wonderful machine was called the segway.

The first chunk of information everyone wanted to know was, “why do these things cost so much?” or, “why do they tend go slower than a bike and a scooter?” Yes they go slow and yes they cost a lot, but the segway is very good for the environment and saves you your precious fossil fuels. Segways can be lighter and less brutal on the earth when you drive it. They can go off rode and come in a variety of models to fit your daily needs. Some can go faster than others depending on what you decide to order. Segways can travel up to a 24 miles in a single charge and can get up to a top speed of 12.5 miles per hour. This $5,000 electric powered devise can save you money even though of its substantial price.

The segway isn't just good for the environment, but is good for your body. This machine doesn't just drive itself, it requires the bending and leaning of your lower body. The citizens of Rye who maybe want to loose weight or do something physical with their body can purchase this item. But there is a down side. The segway must have someone who weighs in a range of 100 to 260 pounds in order for its sensors to realize you are standing on it. If that person weighs more than it can handle, it will break. There are many flaws in the design of this vehicle but if this plan happens in the town of Rye and everyone decides to drive them, these kinks can be changed and modified. This machine has already been made for more high speed purposes like mall security and policemen versions . And even better, the segway company could start giving citizens discounts for manufacturing so much of their product.

Some people can assume since this thing has two wheels it requires a lot of skill. Well actually the segway does require little or no skill. The secret to this easy-to-ride machine is a series of built in gyros that that keep you upright. But what is a gyro? A gyro is a high speed spinning object that keeps things balanced. This technology can be found in boats, scooters and in cars. The segway keeps your center of gravity balanced and checks it 100 times a second. You can go backwards and forwards with ease.

Another point that lots of people talk about is the price of the segway. Prices can range from 5 to 7 grand depending on which model you buy, and that is not the amount of cabbage anyone wants to pay for a piece of plastic and metal. Like I have already explained, if this plan goes into action and more of the segway's company manufactures their product, they will start giving discounts.

Having segways in Rye instead of our gas powered machines, we could make things a lot greener and boost our economy a little. This plan isn't going to happen right now, not tomorrow or in a month, this is going to be a gradual process. This will make our people of Rye a little more energetic and doing a more wide variety of things that standard equipment can't do. These machines are already used in malls, streets, in cities and in buildings. The first decade is coming very fast in the 21st century and I want everyone to be ready for it. The future is closer than we think.

Flood

When I knew that Joe Flood was coming to our school, I thought he was going to be just another person that was going to say, “don't do drugs” or “just say no”. Well it isn't easy to just say no when you are addicted to alcohol! Well he didn't say a lot of that, he took a different approach that beat anyone's explanations. He put responsibility in our hands. He said, “I'm not going to tell you to not take drugs, all I want you to do is to make sure before you pick up a drug you know what is going into you. Joe was a heavy alcoholic and drug addict when he was a boy all the way into his adult hood. It took him 20 years before he could officially say no to drugs. He also uses analogies to describe how your body works when drugs are introduced. He said "your brian is like a bunch of lights and everytime you consume to much alcohol a light goes out." You shouldn't have to go through life guessing what is write or wrong, you should listen to a person like Joe. It is healthy to go through drills like I did so you can get reminded to do the write thing! So before you "Flood" yourself with drugs, get the facts. 

MOON ROCKS

Getting to see moon rocks in a museum is cool, getting to see moon rocks under special supervision in the school is cooler and getting to have moon rocks in your class room only with your teacher and the class is awesome! That's what I got to experience, seeing moon rocks in my class room! How often does a teacher say “we're going to see moon rocks for our unit on the moon.” Now everyone including me were expecting a giant boulder of a rock but instead, when Mrs. Adams opened up the “Deal or no Deal” metal case, there were just pebbles and sand encased in a Lucite glass disc! I guess the fact that these pebbles and sand came from the moon compensated for the fact that they were so small. Different rocks had different stories of how they were made. So they all were very interesting in the end and I take back my comments on how small they were. I mean it is one small step for man but a giant leap for mankind when it comes to collecting these samples.

Business Men

Look at them They're all the same

Suits and hats Black and gray

Everything is bland and the same

So much has changed from today

We go to work and school in different kinds of ways

Less mandatory uniforms and suits today

And things worn in more casual ways

T-shirts and jeans socks and Pj's Lots of clothing has changed compared to today.

Module 1

Dear Mom,

I recently finished my module 1 section in my math text book. There is so much that I learned from this section that I will just explain to you about three subjects. These three subjects will be about the order of operations, algebra and probability.

The first subject that I will talk about is probability. When Mrs. Harte first introduced us to this subject, she taught us the two different kinds of probability, theoretical and experimental probability. Experimental probability is when you are doing an experiment and you guess what you are going to get for your answer. Theoretical probability is when you use math to find out what are the odds in theory that you will get specific answers in your experiment. So in all, probability is the odds of having something happen such as spinning a wheel or rolling dice.

My second subject is the order of operations. The order of operations is used so that when you have a problem that has lots of mathematical symbols, you know which one to do first. There is a code to help you with choosing mathematical symbols and that code is called PEMDAS. PEMDAS means parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition and subtraction. So if you have a problem that has lots of these symbols, just follow the order of PEMDAS.

My last subject that I will talk about is algebra. Mrs. Harte taught us very early algebra or should I say started out with easy problems. Algebra requires the skill of knowing the order of operations. These problems are meant to be broken down into tinier pieces until you end up with one number. Sometimes Mrs. Harte would give us a challenge by giving uncompleted equations and have us use grouping symbols to make it true.

A had lots of challenges in the past with this module and I will have more through the school year. I might not be the best in this academic subject, but since I am understanding things in 7th grade math and have a great teacher, I think I will do very well this year.

Sincerely, CRTR

PLANETS

The measurement of distance we use for our solar system is measured in Au's or astronomical units. One astronomical unit is equal to 93,000,000miles.

As you get closer to the Sun, many more planets are closer together. As you get farther away from the sun, the more spread out our planets are. Light is the fastest thing we know of but the Universe is so big that it can take minutes, hours, days or even years for it to reach certain objects. To measure longer distances, Scientists can measure in light years (how long it takes for light to reach an object). The Sun light that we see is ancient light because it takes 8 and one third of a minute to reach Earth. We can only see light when it hits an object but we can't see it from the side.

My Address

Planet: Earth

Solar System: Sun

Galaxy: Milky Way

Cluster: Local

Super cluster: Local