FHSO

Columbus Day

By:FHSO

Should the US continue to celebrate Columbus Day? Some people think that we should, and I don't think we should. Every year in America we celebrate Columbus Day. We're celebrating the landing or the founding of America in 1492. Columbus wanted to go another way to the Indies, he thought it would be an easier way. But instead he found two continents for the Europeans. The Europeans followed him because he found new resources for them, food, technology, land.

Columbus was a man on a journey to the Indies and he accidentally found two new continents with Native people living there. He didn't even set foot on American soil!. Also even though he didn't try he brought diseases to the Native Americans. Some of the Diseases that he brought were, Small Pox, and Yellow Fever from Africa. This lowered the Native population by a lot. More then half of their civilization died.

When Columbus reached the Caribbean , he destroyed and came in to the Natives lands not so peacefully. He enslaved , killed, and violated them in many ways. He was torturing them, taking their land, destroying it killing it. He took corn,potatoes, wheat,and rice just for the Europeans, because they didn't have those neutrons that those foods had.

. The final reason is because when he got paid for all of his work he didn't pay any of the Spanish one little bit if the money. The only reason he even went West was because he wanted to get spices and food from the Indians. He just wanted to conquer the Natives and take everything they had. He took all of the money and only paid his soldiers and not any of Spain. And for the resources he didn't let any of his soldiers take any of the resources, for their family or just for themselves.

For celebrating Columbus Day I think people should celebrate a man who wasn't greedy. We're celebrating a man who tortured people for food, when he could have traded, with all of the things he had, armor,metal etc. We should NOT celebrate Columbus Day every second Monday of every October.

Bridges

FHSO

This year the Portsmouth bridges are starting to rust and fall apart. They can no longer be fixed with new parts for lift bridges. The Portsmouth people are trying to figure out what to do. They are thinking of tearing them all down, building a whole new bridge, or just trying to fix and repair them which can't happen.

I think that we should keep at least one of the bridges. If they know down both of the bridges then the traffic would be greater then it already is in the small town of Portsmouth. If they really want to fix the bridges they should fix it one at a time. While one or the other bridges are being knocked down they people could still cross over the other one, or they could be working on the one that was knocked down, visa verse. Another way is that they could keep both of them and then built a whole new bridge.

On April 22 2010 our school had a Earth Day Webcast. In the web cast we talked about saving the earth and it's atmosphere. We talked about how to do it by just doing the three R's, Reduce,Reuse,Recycle, and which one is most important. Reuse is the most important because then you will have to recycle and reduce less.  But the what I thought was the most important to talk about was the landfills. Landfills are just big hills filled with trash that cant be reused or recycled. The landfills only last 30-40 years! Which means that the landfills that we have now will only last a about 15 more years. Then what do we do with them?   They seal them up and have then covered with grass and dirt to make it look like a field. But there are pipes coming out of the landfills so the methane and other chemical gasses can come out and into the air. 

Another topic that we talked about was  just plastic and where it goes. There was one thing that really surprised me on where some plastic is. The North Pacific Gyre. the North Pacific Gyre is a big part of the ocean where plastic just goes around in a circle.  Also people wanted to test the Inuits to see if the mothers milk was contaminated. They thought since they eat so healthy and they are far away the it wouldn't. But they found out that it was the most contaminated. Because they eat seafood like seals, and the seals eat plastic that goes in the water, or that was in the food that the seals eat. . Mostly all mother's milk is contaminated and then they poison the little ones.  People are dying because of plastic! We need to stop this, and soon.

"Laws change, Men Die,the land remains"

Abraham Lincoln, 1862

The red  background represtents the red ring that her mother gave to Marian before she died.

The fowers are some of the ingredients they used to make medicins.

The twigs are from the forest where they live in the Forest Wife's old cabin.

The grren is from Marians green cloak that she wore to hide her face from strangers so they wouldn't reconize her face and tel her uncle.

The seashell represents the sea where they went to save a man in pain from a  head injury.

The bark is the trees that are in the "haunted" woods.

In November our teacher decided for us to "buy" our own stocks. Then we would start a spreadsheet and  and track the prices each week of our stocks.  I chose Walmart, Pepsico, and Hershey to "buy"  and check each week.   Then we would update our spreadsheet and the computer would add the prices automatically. Then we would get our gains and losses of our spreadsheet and then we would have a total amount of money of what we gianed or lost.

My story was about going on a tube ride  and being the "test dummy" and also malmost flying off of the tube in the middle of the ocean, while I was afraid of dark water.

Will Kramer Keep His Coach?

Sven Kramer, the 23 year old son of Yep Kramer, has had the dream for seven years to win the gold medal for speed skating. Making the world record of twelve minutes,41.69 seconds at Salt Lake City in 2007. But this Olympics, in the lead, Sven's coach told him to switch lanes and he did an illegal move and hopped over the cones and was disqualified. Sven was so mad at his coach for telling him to switch lanes while Kramer was in the lead. Kramer was angry at his coach because it cost him the gold medal for his country and for himself. Kramer forgave his coach, but I bet he will never forget that day when he almost, had that medal. Sven says that he forgives his coach and will be back in 2014.

Right now, in the lead the country with the most gold medals is the Netherlands with 3 gold medals,1 silver, and 3 bronze. The United States is in 5th place with 1 gold medal, 2 silver, and 1 bronze.

Speed skating was originally from Holland in the 13th century. For most of the people, skates were their transportation. There were skates on wooden soles. Then the competitive racing started in 1676 in Holland. In the 19th century the Dutch shared speed skating with other Europeans. In the beginning of the sport only men could compete, but in 1932 women were finally able to join the sport of speed skating.

The basics of the sport is to skate around a 400 meter oval ice rink counter-clockwise. The skater on the outside lane would do a right-a-way at the crossover, which means to switch lanes with the opponent.

There is also a straight which is a long, straight section of the speed skating.

For training they skate for at least two hours a day and spend a day in the weight room each week. But is the summer they train by watching video analysis and do yoga,Pilates and practice their core strength. But they can also train on bikes and incline skates.

Speed skating is the fastest human powered, non-mechanical, aided sport in the world. Skaters can reach up to 60 kilometers per hour. The final result came February 28 2019 and with the winning amount was the Netherlands with 3 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze. The United States with 1 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze tied with the Germans with four medals in all.