GRKE

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Make Lemonade

Virginia E. Wolf

Realistic Fiction

True Believer

Virginia E. Wolf

Realistic Fiction

This Full House

Virginia E. Wolf

Realistic Fiction

Heaven

Angela Johnson

Realistic Fiction

The First Part Last

Angela Johnson

Realistic Fiction

A Bridge is a path,

That shows you where to go,

When your trying to get home.

It shows you where,

Your heart should be,

When your trying to get through,

The stormy sea.

A Bridge is a bondage,

Of her to him,

And them to her,

To bond them all,

And keeps them there,

when someone calls.

A Bridge is a connection,

Of here and there,

To give you access,

Anywhere,

So keep our bridges,

All opened up,

And safe for everyone,

Under the sun,

That weighs more than a ton.

In my 7th grade science class we have been studying the roadkill in Rye and New Castle. We have looked at roadkill and choose something that might have effected the roadkill amounts. I choose to study the temperature each day and record weather the warm days had more or less roadkill than cold days. I set the temperature I would consider cold 59°F and under. Then my teacher printed me a sheet showing the temperature for all of the days we studied roadkill. I then created a table and a graph.

I took the warm days with roadkill and divided it by the total number of warm days. Then I did the same with cold days. I found that 42% of the cold days had roadkill and 48% of the warm days had roadkill. This proves that there is more roadkill on warm days than on cold days. I think this happened because as it got warmer mating season started. During mating season there is a lot more roadkill than in the winter. So as the weather got better animals began to come out of hibernation. This was probably the biggest factor weather played in the roadkill.

This happens because people are used to driving without any animals around in the winter but then the animals come out of hibernation and they are all over the place. So drivers are not prepared for the sudden abundance of animals. Also with mating season in full swing the animals may be running across the road to for another animal.

Another variable that may have effected our roadkill amount this year, is precipitation. If it was raining hard, it may make it harder to see on the road. So drivers may not see little animals on the road. Also if it is snowing the roads are slippery, so if it starts to snow unexpectedly animals may still be out and about. In this case you most likely will not see the animals and it would not be as easy to slam on your brakes with out skidding.

In addition to looking at the temperature I would think it is a good idea to look at the precipitation. Then you may also want to see when the animal died instead of when it is seen it. It is important to have accurate information. There is misinformation when you don't know when the animal actually was killed. I think that that would be one of the most important variables to add to my project. This roadkill project was really fun and I hope that the information I found will help you in learning more bout roadkill.

In math class we were asked to select three companies to purchase stocks in. We were allowed $10000 and we could buy any company that we liked. I selected Disney, Target, and Google. I chose Disney because I was getting ready for a trip to Florida and many families take a trip to Disney World which is located in Orlando Florida. I chose Target because I like their products and because they have really fun and bright commercials. Finally I chose Google because they just came out with their internet browser called Google Chrome and it is supposed to be the most popular browser yet.

If I had the chance to change my stocks I would probably change Google. I had a loss of over $700 in the Google stock. If I could I would swap it with Sirius Radio. This is because a girl in my grade bought it as a penny stock and it is no longer a penny stock and she made thousands of dollars. I would also buy Nike because my friend earned over $800 on it. This is a good deal because she only paid $63 and she ended with $77.

I would say if a friend were to invest in a stock you should look into it first. For instance you should check the historical prices and the yearly progress chart to see if the stock is in a bearish or a bullish state. Also you should buy the stock while it is down but on the way back up because then you can make some profit off of it. Google for example is not a good stock to buy because it is progressively going down, but Disney is going up and is not at an extremely high price at the moment. So if you are looking for a stock to invest in, take time to look into it first.

In math class we have been studying the stock market, I invested in Disney, Target, and google.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 12:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 66

Blue

1/18/10

I am Dido, I live in Rome it is the year 70 B.C.E.  I live in the commander's quarters in a small city. I will soon be sent away for winter because I am not permitted to stay in my home during the winter.  I will take my children and I will find a new place to stay with them.  In our home now we stick to a schedule like this one during the day. At VII we wake up and eat breakfast. Then we go outside and visit the garden. We all eat lunch at 𐅡II PM then we bathe and the servants clean up from lunch, then prepare dinner.  during the gap between lunch and dinner we often visit the stables.  Once we are through with the stables we go inside to eat dinner, wash up and go to bed.  My son Arrianus will be sent to be in the army soon. Our army is mighty and strong and Arrianus can't wait to be able to join into the battles. 

At VII we wake up and eat breakfast. Then we go outside and visit the garden. We all eat lunch at 𐅡II PM then we bathe and the servants clean up from lunch, then prepare dinner.  during the gap between lunch and dinner we often visit the stables.  Once we are through with the stables we go inside to eat dinner, wash up and go to bed. My brother, Pompeius is in the army, he works very hard and when he is home he enjoys explaining to us about his rivals, my children all love the story about when he fought the Celts, a strong army, but not strong enough.  They all wore bright clothing, like tunics died bright colors and woollen trousers called breeches or bracae.  They also wore stripped or checkered cloaks and used a long sword for slashing and cutting, they carried spears with twisted heads that caused a deep wound in their enemies.  They had a long shield to protect their whole body.  The Romans invaded in the year 89 B.C.E. the Roman army is mighty and they do not wear trousers and blouses in battle, they wear metal armor over a leather jacket and a helmet.  They also have a spear that will bend once piercing the enemies so it cannot be reused.  They carry a kit bag filled with food and a kettle, and a hand mill for grinding corn.  The kit bag also had all of the extra tools like the an ax, a rope, and iron chain, a saw, and a wicker basket for moving dirt.  The Romans wear boots, which are opened toed sandals with an almost two inch soul.       

In the end we Romans defeated the Celts, we are a stronger, more professional army and we went in and took over, but we try not to disturb the citizens of Caledonia. We are now an even larger civilization and I feel as if we have risen to be the greatest army in the world.  Arrianus will soon be one of the accomplished men, of the great Roman Army.  I am off now to eat my lunch and will leave this note, here in the garden for examination after my life has passed me by.

Mars is Red

Jupiter is Blue

Clouds are Puffy

And I love you!

I can't find my way through the fog,

But I can find my way to you!

Stars don't twinkle but your eyes do!

Rye Jr. High needs new team uniforms. The uniforms we have now are around eighteen years old! Uniforms are expensive but it would be beneficial to our school and it will make us look more put together. We will look like we're ready to play and we're ready to win!

Our uniforms are getting old and smelly. They are starting to get ripped and they are faded. I think it would be good if we started with one sport and got a new set of uniforms each year until every sport had fresh new uniforms. And all of the students would be happy and good looking.

The teams we play against generally have good uniforms. We have old ones and I think it would make us look better if we had modern new uniforms. We don't feel as confident and I feel as if the other teams think we don't pay attention to our sports teams. But Mr. Fordier puts a lot of time into the teams.

Next year we will need new uniforms, who wants to be in 20 year old uniforms? I hope that we can get an appropriate amount of new uniforms before we hit the 20 year mark.

Sincerely,

7th Grader