HJOL-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

The Controversy of Columbus Day

Every year on the second Monday of October Americans celebrate Columbus Day. In 1492 Columbus sallied across the Atlantic ocean with three ships, The Nina, The Pinta and The Santa Maria. He was in search for the East Indies and instead found what is now North America. For a couple of years now there has been a controversy on whether or not The U.S should celebrate Columbus Day. There are several reasons why I think that Americans should not celebrate Christopher Columbus Day.

Some of The reasons I think Americans should not celebrate Christopher Columbus Day are. When Columbus landed in the new world he brought European diseases to the new world. The natives didn't no how to deal with diseases. A lot of the native population were killed from the diseases. My second reason is that he brought new technologies. But not all of the technologies were good. Like the gun, when he introduced the gun to the natives they did not know how to use it and they were using to kill their own people. My third and final reason is that Columbus he brought the religion, Christianity. You may think that bringing Christianity was good but the way he brought it was bad. He forced the native people to be Christians. If they did not choose to be Christian they were murdered or enslaved, the enslaved people were brought back to Europe and to work.

Again, even though its nice to have the day off. Why should we should Americans celebrate a man who was violent and horrible to the Native Americans in the New World? Today would we honor someone like him? I don't think Americans should continue to celebrate Columbus Day.

Wordle: HJOL

Life As we Knew It

Susan Beth Pfeffer

Young Adult /Science Fiction

Dear John

Nicholas Sparks

Romance / Realistic Fiction

My Sisters Keeper

Jodi Picoult

Drama/ Realistic Fiction

One of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies

Sonya Sones

Realistic Fiction

Heaven Looks A Lot Like The Mall

Wendy Mass

Fiction

ttp://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2041348/Road_Kill" target="_blank">ttp://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2041348/Road_Kill" title="Wordle: Road Kill">Wordle: Road Kill

Article posted May 21, 2010 at 01:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

RJH Garden -

Last year in the spring of 2009 our school, Rye Jr. High created a garden in the back of our field. Our school librarian, Mrs. Coombs and Mr. Fortier the 8th grade social studies teacher came up with the idea of having a garden. They spent many hours before and after school working in and on the garden with student's help. One Saturday the school had a garden work day when anybody could come and help. Each grade helped with different things like planting seeds, weeding, spreading stones,watering and creating beds. Some of the teachers had their classes out in the garden and did activities relating to the garden and that subject. The 6th grade math teacher Mr. Scogin took his class and did things like finding out how many rocks are in the garden and each class made one or two of the garden beds.

We planted everything from seed. We started early and started seedlings in some classrooms then when the plants we bigger we moved them into the garden beds outside. In the garden we planted a big variety vegetables, fruits, herbs, gourds, flowers and other plants here and there. In tech ed 6th grade students made a scare crow and some were put in the garden. There were other cool creative decorations for some of the plants to climb on like beans. During the summer families could sign up for days to tend to the garden. While all the students and teachers were on summer vacation a lot happened to the garden. It grew so much, it was so green and colorful. The fall of this year ( a new school year ) we came up with the idea to have a harvest festival. In preparation for the harvest fest, each grade in place of some of our unified arts classes we learned how to contra dance. Students and teaches put a lot of work, time and effort to making to harvest fest fun and entertaining.

Film Fest/ Trash Digging -

For three Tuesdays in a row a women came in from the Rye Energy Committee to teach us different things and information about the environment and how we can help it. Mrs. Anderson came into each our our science classes and she showed a film. Each film was different and about the environment and how to help protect the environment. Some of the students volunteered to dig through the trash after a lot our classes that day. Two guys came form some organization that makes sure that the trash is trash and not stuff that could be used again or recycled. They taught us about recycling and composting and where trash goes where. The kids digging in the trash from that lunch wore gloves and plastic aprons and separated the trash in to three bins, compost, recycle and stuff that goes to a landfill. It was amazing to see how much we could have separated into the compostable and recyclable. After everything was separated we weighed the trash from each bin. Since then our school has started to be better about composting and recycling. We started to really use our compost bin again as the weather got warmer.

Article posted May 21, 2010 at 01:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

Ice Dancing

This year's Vancouver winter Olympics got more viewers than the hit TV show American Idol. A growing popular Olympic event is ice dancing. It is one of my favorites to watch.

Some people might think that ice dancing is very similar to singles and pair figure skating but it is very different yet there are some similarities. Ice dancing is performed by couples. It is also made up of three parts, one compulsory dance, one original dance and one free style dance. Unlike pairs, ice dancing does not have any over head lifts. Ice dancing is similar to ballroom dancing. It is based on the couple’s interpretation of the music.

Some important terms in ice dancing are also used in some figure skating events like, an Axel Jump which is a jump that begins from a forward facing position. Another technique the couples perform is called shadow skating. Shadow Skating is similar movements preformed by pairs. A Single Jump is any jump of one or more revolutions. A Flip Jump is a toe picked assisted jump is launched from the back.

Like all Olympic sports, ice dancing requires a lot of training. Most figure and ice dancing skaters start skating when they are very young and practice all the time. That explains one of the reasons why the Olympics are every four years since the athletes have to train and prepare for the Olympics. Most of the training varies between each pair and event. It also depends on the choreographer. The pairs normally practice for 3 hours a day every day.

Ice dancing is a form of figure skating and comes from the world of ballroom dancing. In 1952 ice dancing first was included in the world figure skating competition. It became a winter Olympic sport in1976. In the 70's the United Kingdom's ice dancers dominated most of the competitions and then in the in the 80's Russian contestants began winning awards in the competitions. This year in Vancouver the countries Canada, the US and Russia did very well. The next winter Olympics are in Russia. Well see if Russia will capture the gold on their home ice or will US and Canada give them a run for their money!

Article posted May 21, 2010 at 01:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Higgins Armory Museum

The 7th grade students at Rye Jr. High went to the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, Ma on Friday April 9th. The Museum was put together by Mr. Higgins who went over to Europe and brought back many artifacts from the Middle Ages. He opened a museum to display the artifacts. At the Museum we saw many examples from the past, including suits of armor, weapons, and various items from the Middle Ages. There are three different types of armor; Combat, Tournament and Parade. As you read on, you will learn about the three different major periods of armor.

The first major period of armor was Combat. Most knights had a full suit of armor to protect themselves from the enemy. The suit of armor was made up of over 200 pieces of steel plate, put together. The combat armor was very flexible but very heavy. The suit could weigh up to 60 pounds, not including the weapons. A knight could see very well out of the helmet. In the suit, a knight could move at his joints without any skin or body parts exposed. If a knight was struck and fell off his horse, he could easily remount his horse and keep going.

The second major period of armor was Tournament. This type of armor was made for competitions where people were fighting for fun or entertainment. The tournament armor was not very flexible and the person inside the armor could not see out of the helmet very well. This armor was also extremely heavy to wear. Tournament armor was designed to protect the person from getting impaled by a lance while Jousting or fighting on foot with swords. The most common injuries caused by Jousting were not from being hit by a lance or being thrown off your horse, they were from the lance breaking and splintering.

The third major period of armor was Parade or Decorative. This type of armor was made for rich people to show off how wealthy they were. They also had suits inside their house on display, that no one wore, just to show of how rich they were. Armor was very expensive and not many people could afford it. The rich would wear the armor in parades, court events and ceremonies. The wealthy people could have etchings on their armor, the etchings could be anything the person wanted to make their suit more expensive and fancy. The suit provided little protection and a person could not defend himself in it.

At the museum we saw a lot and learned many new facts about the Middle Ages. It was interesting to see all the different types of armor and who wore them. It was also cool to see the artifacts from the Middle Ages that were not replicas.