PHJO

Columbus Day 06/16/10
Bridges 06/11/10
Graph - Pets of RJH and Belizean Students 05/12/10
Scuba 03/19/10
luge 03/09/10
The Barbarians 02/18/10
Science Valetine 02/05/10
Myth 01/27/10
Fog 01/27/10
Baking Today and 11/10/09
wet 11/10/09
Moon Rocks 11/10/09
Planets 09/24/09
Space Address 09/09/09

Should the US continue to celebrate Columbus Day? It is a question that is being greatly argued recently. This argument debits whether or not we celibate the man that discovered two new continents and would change the world forever. Some say that Columbus should have never discovered the Americas, but what world would we live in if we did not find the Americas all of Europe would not have found the large amount of wealth later found.

There are some that what Columbus did was not worth it, that north America would have been better with out Columbus's discovery, but think of this, the native Americans had yet to develop the wheel let alone the gun or any kind of armor. Also Columbus reintroduced the horse and provided the cow, pig, and many other animals that had never been seen before that would change the way they live for the good.

Some of the people in America believe that we should not have come here but what good would have that done for the world. Were the conquistadors greedy, yes, but that was not even his fault, he could have chosen what would have happened. In all I think that we should celebrate Columbus day because he found the Americas and changed history and how we thought of the world forever.

The cars flash by, while the seagulls fly high in the sky.

The water rushes underneath and boats cut through it while being very discrete.

The horn blows, the lights flash, the bridge lifts so large boats can pass.

One after the other cars go by, while the tides come and go by.

my Belize graph was how many pets and of what kind were they did they have

Two years ago I found out that I was old enought to got my jr. open water diver's certification. I told my best friend what I was going to do and he decided to go with me. Once we passed our written test we were able to go on my open water dives. It was a great experience because we went out right off Fort Stark which is 1000 feet from my house. After we passed, we got our cards and three months later my famly went to Jamaica, were I went scuba diving with my dad four times. I  love to scuba dive and I think it's an experience that every one should get to try.

Luge

Luge is a winter sport usually involving 1-2 people but only men can do the 2 person luge. The sport consists of a person/ persons on a fiberglass sled with metal runners. The person/ persons grab a handle and then push off and go down an ice track. They usually go about 100 miles per hour and they can experience about 7 gs, that's more than double what an astronaut feels at take off.

The track used for luge is a labyrinth you go into and it turns in to a big circle. Luge is very dangerous, at such high speeds danger is almost unavoidable. The athletes train 6 days a week for about four hours that does not seem long, but considering that each run is about 50 seconds it is quite a lot of time. So far this year one person has died while practicing for luge. Luger's train in the gym to they usually work on their neck and other basic muscles, but they also use high repetition exercises that involve high concentration.

The sport of luge, along with bobsled, started in the town of St. Moritz, Switzerland. It was originally a way for delivery boys to deliver food and other resources for a resort to get around but when the people in the resort saw how much fun they were having they asked the owner of the resort to create a recreational activity for the public. It was instantly a big hit the owner made so much money that he was able to build a new hotel and a track that is still there today. It is apparent that people have loved luge ever since. The people who do this sport are deeply connected to it because injury or even death is always a lingering opponent.

The results of the luge is, Germany in first with 2 gold, 1 silver, and 2 bronze. Next is Austria with 1 gold, and 1 silver. Then latvia, with 1 silver

By phjo

The Barbarians

Day 1: This is my first entry in my new book that Ma sent to me. I'm so excited to start! My name is Pygarin, and I'm on the invasion group for Britannia. The trip will take a couple weeks depending on weather and how fast we move. When we get there it should be exhausting, but we are here, and we rest for today, and then we go north to meet the barbarians/ inhabitants of britannia.

Day 2: We are just about to head out, it's a three day march but at least we are all well rested.

Day 14: We arrive  at this place which is very  weird, there is fog half the year and everything is wet and or rusted. Our commander tells us to dry and clean our armour everyday so it does not rust. Today was great, we were able to rest and relax all day but we all know it is short lived because we are heading out tomorrow.

Day 20: We see the first village. It is so different than what we are used to. It is small, dark and there are just huts no real buildings like we used to see in Rome. The people are savages, their kids play in the dirt when we used to play with toys, their bread has small rocks in it because they leave the dough on the ground. I could not imagine living in these kinds of situations. We set our tent that will provide temporary shelter,while we build our permanent building. At last it is done, we can relax until ordered to invade but who knows how long that will take.

Day 30: We get orders to invade the village that we are close to so we march, the Celts see us coming and get ready even though they are out marched and out skilled, they are brave, they fight with heart and soul I cannot say that about our people, in that battle I gained a new respect for the Celts, and even though I would not admit it I, lost a little respect for our army.

Day 31: We were made to make a wall that divided the north and south Britannia.  It was difficult to build the wall, and I am wondering if the Celts ever had to do the laboring that we Roman soldiers need to do.

Day 62: We are done  with the wall it took awhile but it is done and we had help from the other forts.  We are fortunate that the Roman soldiers work together, we have great unity, and my guess is that the Celtic soldiers are not as unified as we are.

Day 400: We are ordered to leave, I do not know why, but we are paid to listen to orders, not to ask questions, but one thing, for some reason I cant find my other sandal, I guess I will never know what happened to it. On our way back we stopped  at a small town, while the rest of the soldiers rested for the day, I went to the market to get my daughter a gift. I got her a small doll that iIthought she would very much like. This is my last entry forever for there is no more room on the pages.  All I can say is that the Celts  were not what I expected,they were a nice people and I wish to see them again,  now that I am done fighting them.

my last entry Pygarin

My love for you is like a black hole. ( I cant escape it)

Jupiter is orange, Neptune is blue but neather of them are as big as my love for you.

My love for you can't be contained in a vacuum chamber.

The Golden Trees

A long time ago before the rule of the Greeks, there were two types of cats in Africa that the gods did not give names to, For this, the cats were furious at the gods, so they made a plan that when the leaves on the trees turn to gold, like they do every year, they would steal the leaves, put them in a bag, and blame it on one of the humans of the nearby village. Little did Garaya, one of the villagers Know, he was going to be blamed for something he did not do.

As the cat prepared for the plan, Garaya was out picking berries for his village. Then it was time for the cats to steal the leaves. They were swift in their work, one after another, very hastily. It did not take them long before they had all the gold glistening leaves in one big bag. The leaves were made of such fine gold that the bag could hardly conceal the light on the fine gold.

At that time Gaya the goddess of nature, decided to look at the delicate gold on the trees that she put there for the gods to admire. But when she looked down there was no light hitting her eye. When she looked closer, she saw the two felines that have no names running away with a bag and she knew they stole the leaves.

At the same time, Garaya was thinking of a way to get more berries so the village would look up to him for picking the most berries. the cats sprinted by, and they saw Garaya picking berries and decided to trick the young man and they went back. They said “ Young man do you mind helping us with this big bag of berries we just bought, I'm sure we can make it worth your while.” They knew that is was a deal that he could not deny.

But little did they know Gaya was right on their trail. She followed the tracks that were made deeper from the heavy gold. Finally, she was able to catch up to them right as they were giving the bag to Garaya. She ran by trapping the cats and taking the bag.

On her way Gaya had decided a punishment for the two. She walked up to the first cat with the big mane and said “For your punishment, you and all your ancestors shall be called lions for lying to this human.” then she said, turning to the other cat with spots “ You and all your ancestors shall be called cheetahs for cheating to the human and gods, and and for your final punishment, every year you two have to pick the leaves off the trees, but you must place them on the ground.” Then she tuned to Garaya "For you and your people's punishment it is your people's job to pick up the leaves.” Garaya looked down shamefully “I am sorry for dishonoring the gods by being tricked.”

And so it was, that lions were called lions, and cheetahs were called cheetahs, and they both pick the leaves, but the human race had to pick them up. And so it was for all time.

THE END

1/27/2010

THE EMOTIONS OF FOG

Fog is anger, fog is fear, fog is the sadness of not being steered.

Fog is excitement, fog is guilt, the kind that others have built.

Fog is revenge, fog is power, fog is loneliness, and they all leave us sour.

Fog is happiness, fog is togetherness, in the way they cover our fears.

Fog is a story that has no end, fog is the cover of a book not read.

recipies have changed over the years and some are forgoten because we are more interested in easy resapies not the ones that our ansesters survived on. but at the rye historicle society they made a book of the reacipies that would other wise have bin lost and gone forever. but these resipies live on and what our great grandparents lived on is so much easer to axes that they to make better recipies that use more ingredience and those recipies are almost never used.