NRRA

Columbus day debate 06/16/10
end of the year wordle 06/14/10
Roadkill 2010 06/11/10
5 favorite books 06/11/10
Bridges 06/11/10
wordle 04/02/10
Memorable incident speech 03/19/10
Olympics 03/09/10
Roman essay 02/19/10
Valentine 02/01/10
MLK essay 01/27/10
LA myth 01/27/10
Rye history 01/27/10
Fog Poem 01/27/10
Litter pick up 01/08/10
Strawbery Banke 11/23/09
My Oats Design 11/09/09
Troubles 10/27/09
Planets 09/24/09

Should We Celebrate Columbus Day?

Every year we celebrate Columbus Day. The holiday is about when he changed the world forever. He was thinking that he was the first one to find America, but he wasn't. In the past couple of years, there has been a controversy about Columbus Day. There have been people arguing about if we should celebrate Columbus day and people thinking we shouldn't celebrate it. There are three reasons why I think we should keep celebrating it.

The first reason is, his trip started exploring and colonization in the New World by Europeans. Columbus didn't find America because the native Americans, vikings, and other European were there first. The second reason is he also brought new things to the new world. He brought the wheel, the spinning wheel, armor, parrots, cotton, and other kinds of plants and animals. Some of the plants he brought were crops, like corn and wheat. The third is that he brought European settlement and colonies.

We should be thankful for Christopher Columbus because he brought all of this new technology to us, which has really helped us a lot. Also we still use the plants, because we eat corn and wheat, usually for meals. My opinion is that we should celebrate Columbus day, because of the three reasons I mentioned.

The Young Man and The Sea By Rodman Philbrick (Realistic Fiction)

Rowan Hood By Nancy Springer ( Young Adult)

How to Steal A Dog By O'Conner,Barbara (Fiction)

Lawn Boy By Gary

Paulsen ( Juvenile Fiction)

Dairy Queen By Murdock, Catherine Gilbert (Fiction)

Bridges

Tall

Fun

Exiting

Scarey

Nerve racking

Moving

Over water

Boats under

Nervous

Closing eyes

Fun with friends

Almost done

Long

Short

Rusty

Green

Water

Metal

Fish

Seaweed

Cars

People

Roads

Want it to be done

Forever going

Super quick

Loud

Singing

Noisy

Yesterday March 23rd to be exact, everyone was in class and working. All the sudden the fire alarms go off and it was pouring outside and freezing but we still had to go outside because it could have been a real fire. So we went outside for 10-15 minutes FREEZING! Plus I had flip flops on and a lot people started to get worried because we never go outside for a practice fire drill in the the rain.

So we were starting to think that this was real, but then we finally got to go inside after being cold and wet, but instead of going back into classes like we went in to the gym and it was weird because we usually go into classes after fire drills. So we got into our classes and we started working again and then they told us the principal told us that the fire drill lights are still ganna go off for a little while,which got annoying. Then they finally shut off and we went on with school and listened to the noisy rain.

This was really fun!

Snowboarding

Snowboarding is an winter sport and it is used in the winter Olympics. Snowboarding was first invented in the United States.

The first competition was in Colorado 1981. It was in the first Olympics in the year 1998 in the Nagano Games. This year Shaun White won a gold medal and Scott Logo won a bronze. An interesting fact about Shaun White is that his weight is 139 pounds, and interesting facts about Scotty Lago is that he started snowboarding on a tubing hill. People in half pipe snow boarding spend up to 4 hours a day, 6 days a week on tricks! They have to have lots of time and focus. They have to do weight training and lower body exercises.

Some of the terms of snowboarding are: 180 air ; which means when your board rotates 180 degrees. Also there is one called a back side; which is when the side of the snowboard on which the athletes heels rest. Another term is a bone; which is to extend out one or both legs. There are many others too. Snowboarding is a combination of surfing,skateboarding, and skiing. It is an important event in the 2010 Winter Games.

Hello my name is Maggacus and I'm a Roman soldier. I am going off to war and staying in the barracks with many other soldiers that I do not know, so it will probably be very uncomfortable, I am not good at meeting new people. I feel that I am lucky to be a Roman soldier because the Romans are more advanced then the Celts. We are a more organized army and we have more soldiers. My family felt I was too young to go off to war but I had to go because I turned 20; and now I have to stay in the army for 25 years, because those are the rules. I also have a sister that wants to fight in the army to but she can't becasue she is a girl and girls can't fight in the army.

The Romans are more advanced then the Celts because we have body armour like breast plates so we don't get stabbed in the heart, our shields are very curved, which helps protect us better as they curve around our entire bodies. We also have tall leather shoes with many nails in the bottom of them so they won't wear out as easily, it also helps them stay on our feet better. The Celts just have one big shield made of wood covered with leather, the wood is not an effective way of protecting them, as it can splinter if it is hit by swords too many times. The Celts also don't have body armour like we do. They do have the same type of shoes as us but theirs are shorter so they can fall off while they are running or marching, they need to fix their shoes more often then we do.

I don't just think that we have a stronger army because of our organization and the fact that we have many soldiers, I also feel that the Romans are more advanced than the Celts in the way that we house our soldiers. The Romans have better buildings for example... we have bath houses so that we can clean ourselves after we have been gone on the battlefield for many days. There are gates and surrounding walls which block people from coming into the barracks. Roman buildings have better roofs, not ones made of mud and hay like the Celts. We also have a place for our Commanders to live as they have alot of responsibility.

As you can see the Romans are far more advanced then the Celts. The things we have like the armour will really help us win the war. The Romans also are a well organized army and are well fed. When we are well fed it helps to keep our energy going for the war and so we are not tired. Another way that we are prepared for war is the kit bag we have to carry wich has food and armour. Although the bag is about 60 pounds we practice carrying it and so it won't be as difficult for us to carry when we do go to battle. I think that all of these things combined help to make the Roman soldiers more powerful and we will be able to win our battles, as we have already done in some places, then the Celts.

- My love for you never ends like space. -Stars may not twinkle but when im with you I twinkle with love. -You make me burst with love like a metearoid burns up when its close to the sun. -I was under a nimbus cloud but when you came along it turned in to a cumulus cloud.