Stay Beautiful, And Keep It Ugly

In class, we are using microscopes to look at single-cell organisms. On each magnifier, there is a label that has is magnification. The first one is 4x which magnifies it by 40, because it's 10 x whatever number it is. The second is 10x, which is magnified to 100, and the 3rd Is 40x, which is 400, but sometimes it's hard to see that close.
A way to find something on the microscope is to put the object at the point of the black pointer (for instance a cell) then after focussing it, you can go higher on the magnification scale and it'll stay on that object rather then magnifying something you don't want to see up close. (like clear water...)
One mount, (out of 2) -which is what you put under the microscope (a glass slide, and your substance.)-is a Dry Mount. A Dry mount, is dry, (DUH!) it is not wet, we don't add water, and if we don't add water then we usually don't need a coverslip (something to put over the wet mount so it doesn't A) scratch the lens, and B) so it doesn't get the lens wet too.) The second mount is a Wet Mount, which is when we add water, solution, ect. Or the substance we were looking at is like creek water. We would need a coverslip for this (the Wet Mount). The field view is used in the 40x magnification, it focuses way more acuretly on the substance you are looking at.
Looking in the microscope is like looking in a mirror. Everything is backwards. If u move the slip left you go right. Your move right, and the slip goes left. Up is down and down is up, not to mention that you have to put your slip under the microscope upside down because if you don't the substance or object will be upside down when you look at it.

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM • comment • Reads 59 • see all articles

I love rockstars!!!!